How deep will the division be between humans born on different planets?

How deep will the division be between humans born on different planets?

Assume for example that there were permanent large-scale colonies on Mars. Would the humans born on Mars have any special feelings for Earth? Would they see Earth as humanity's birthplace or just some other rock, like Mercury and Pluto?

Would the relationship between Terrans and Martians be that of brothers or rivals?

Other urls found in this thread:

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/futurehistory.php#id--Stages--1._Exploration_and_Colonization_of_the_Solar_System
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/stellarcolony.php
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewar.php#revolutionarywar
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/techlevel.php#eugenics
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/techlevel.php#techsociety
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/stellarcolony.php#id--Growing_a_Colony--Colony_Culture
orionsarm.com/eg-topic/45beb1fcc5ba6
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>How deep will the division be between humans born on different planets?

Just have a look

The Origin planet.
The founder, The father etc.
And siblings fight.

You do realize that human beings born on the same planet already commit genocide against each other, right?

>Would the relationship between Terrans and Martians be that of brothers or rivals?

Humanity has no brothers, only rivals, we've killed each other for being from different tribes for thousands of years and it keeps happening today and it will keep happening tomorrow, we're animals and animals have brothers when its convenient.

All out war between the planets wont happen because its inefficient and wasteful plus orbital weapons are banned and should stay banned or used as deterrents because no one wants to be destroyed, just look at nuclear weapons.

A Cold/Economic war between Mars and Earth is more likely.

Uhhhhh - you came from sub-saharan africa, user - what warm fuzzy feelings do you have for the dark continent right now? Seriously - what is africa to you? It'd be the same for the martians and earth: throw a fucking rock at those earth bastards and watch 'em cook...

Africa doesn't strike me with the same sense of wonder that Mars does, though.

Are you sure, user?

You'd get fucking Martians calling themselves "Floridian-Martian" because their great-great-great grandfather lived in Miami or something.

Yes, the pictures of Africa don't hit me as hard, you can easily recognize the difference.

I'm tired of blue skies of Earth, give me the pale sky of Mars.

Sure....

>Would the relationship between Terrans and Martians be that of brothers or rivals?

Any modestly terraformed Mars is going to have bluer skies than the pale butterscotch color you see in photos because the dust particles will decrease. It would still be quite a bit different than Earth's average due to the sun's distance and the decrease in relative light, but more in the "slightly cloudy day in London" variety.

how much do you feel about other continents?

Europe and Asia are alright. Africa rarely crosses my mind. I have to be reminded from time to time that South America exists.

If we succeed in colonizing Mars, we will have achieved great technological advancements, which must include automation and sustainable energy. The resulting abundance will mean that rivalries will be few if they exist at all, both on Earth and Mars.

Then we'll fight over who owns the means of automation and the keys to the solar panel farms

I think that conflict will precede the colonization of Mars.

>Listing continents
>Even lists ones he normally forgets
>Still forgets Oceania

feelsbadbloke.jpg

Oceania isn't considered part of Asia?

It isn't, user.

Here's a (you), All Tomorrows deserves them

Cowboy Bebop had a good idea.

Interesting topic. I would like to think they have an appreciation for earth. I mean, do you have an appreciation for your birth place? I reckon it would be like that

I thought it was? Or at least a sub part of Asia

No, its Oceania, another continent.

American education, everyone.

I'm actually Kiwi. We have super close ties and in our politics we are always referred to as part of Asia.

Assuming current or near future technology. Second and third generation immigrants on Mars would have extremely weak immune systems from lack of exposure due to living in sterile, oxygen rich environments. These people born on Mars would have to be wary of Eartg immigrants who could kill them by breathing on them. They would be envious of Earthlings knowing that traveling to Earth would be potentially life-threatening. That is, unless some sort of miracle booster shot or safe battery of vaccines was developed.

current or near future tech won't support populations on Mars to begin with. There's nothing cost effective enough to make a trip worthwhile.

Think "the Martian" in terms of technology. You could have a permanent research enclave so long as you brought seeds, an air scrubber, and a water purifier.

That depends on a lot of stuff.

How available is interplanetary communication? Are most humans able to make the equivalent of really poor-quality interplanetary Skype calls, or is communication effectively cut off for long periods of time or relegated to a small group of people?

How common is interplanetary travel? Can you go to Mars and back on vacation?

How dependent on Earth is Mars? Can Mars sustain itself or is it parasitic on Earth's output?

How different is life on the planets? Are we talking a fully-terraformed soft sci-fi Mars with fields of engineered wheat where you can walk on the surface much like you would on Earth? Or are we talking space suits and underground bunkers?

The thrust of this is: the more easily accessible and more dependent on Earth that Mars is, the more likely it is for Martians to see themselves as cut from the same cloth as Earth natives. The more independent, cut off, and different the life of a Martian is, the more likely it is for them to see themselves as something different.

It's really hard to be somebody's "rival" if your entire colony dies within a few years if they stop sending supply shipments.

I suggest reading these, and the whole site if possible. Totally worth it.

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/futurehistory.php#id--Stages--1._Exploration_and_Colonization_of_the_Solar_System

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/stellarcolony.php

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewar.php#revolutionarywar

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/techlevel.php#eugenics

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/techlevel.php#techsociety

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/stellarcolony.php#id--Growing_a_Colony--Colony_Culture

EARTHANOIDS ARE SCUM.
How can they not be, with their souls weighed down by gravity like that?
Truly, we should destroy the earth.

Much like the division between colonies and parent civilisations these days; mostly depending on which culture sent them out there.
Any 'british' colony will be full of diversity as the Commonwealth is never short of young people looking for a new life. Actual british-born white people will inevitably be a minority because they just don't have enough kids to send three or four out to the Belt to send money home.
Any american colony will be rednecks, and black people doing all the work.
France, Germany, and Spain will start colonies, start wars, and go bankrupt. Italy will continue to grind along in corrupt poverty.
Russia will found SputnikKolonys, and then try and annex them once they try and distance themselves from the glorious motherland.

Is it just me or has All Tomorrows been being recommended everywhere on the internet atm? Every day I see people talking about it on different websites.

The show The Expanse does a good job on showing physiological and political differences between Earthers and off-planet Humans

>What is the expanse

REMOVE QU!

It depends.

Earth could be like Rome, it's empire breaks but everyone claims to be part of it.

Earth could be like Babylon. Destroyed, taken over, forgotten. Being brought up in text books and funny jokes of foreign leaders when a recent intervention on SOL system cause the relics of that planet to be looted and destroyed.

Or earth could be like China or maybe Japan in the sense it is not take over, always kinda around and important.

Or maybe earth could be Ethiopia, old as fuck, Christian, but a shithole nobody cares about.

Birthrates are going down as a whole on the world, South America and Middle East for example should be mostly under 2 per family in the next decade.

I do wonder if space colonization could lead to a boom

It mostly ends up as a matter of speed of travel and communication. The harder it is to get information and resources to and from Mars, the more a feeling of separation will exist.

The big thing is going to be all the religious types who colonize because they want to create a new society, and the conflicts with all the other countries and religions establishing a colony with the same idea.

The conflict with earth will be secondary to all the shit that gets stirred up on mars because a successful colonization mission means terraforming, and that shit is planetary scale public goods. If the Mormon church manages to build a solar shield to keep mars from having its atmosphere blown away, they'll want the whole planet even though there are only enough mormons to make a small country. If someone else comes along and starts producing water and an atmosphere, it's going to help everyone with eyes to move there.

Subsistence agriculture means children have value. An industrialised society means they cost resources.

Once we need high birthrates on offworld colonies and habitats, birth rates will start to rise again to fill all the jobs that will be left unfilled.

Big problem with inter-planetary war.

Colonies in space will depend on Earth for pretty much everything for years, decades, centuries, and even possibly millenia.

Especially if you have a setting where there's a ban or restriction on superhuman artificial intelligences.

Earth can literally end any and all colonial uprising just by stopping any and all trade with a colony, and wait for a few months or years until the entire colony has died from thirst, hunger, or just collapses economically/technologically from a lack of tools/spare parts, etc.

In all fairness Ethiopia has started to get its economic gains back somewhat recently.

I have hope for them.

Well, the African "elite" are waking up to the fact that stable countries where people can live and work relatively free earn more money than dictatorial shitholes. This creates situations like that one dictator that got ousted by its neighbouring countries threatening with an invasion if he didn't fuck off. After all, having your relative free democratic nation next to a typical African dictatorship doesn't inspire investors and companies with trust in your countries economic and political stability.

I guess that for once, capitalism is in fact making the world a better place.

Spacenoids will eventually overthrow their corrupt Earthnoid master

You shouldn't forget that humans on different planets need to adapt on the situation of the planet.
That means that a human from Earth and a human from Mars may not be able to breathe the same air.
Although these are only physical differences, Living in a Federation-like state with human groups that follow a philosophy that wants to change the way we fundamental think , will be harder but not impossible.

Earth could be like Europe for North American people. The old country the ancestors came from that people use as a point of pride (like the Irish and Boston).

Or like Mecca. A point of significance that people try to go to once in their life as a sort of pilgrimage.

Is there any possiblilty to rename Earth to Terra?
It is better to be called Terran than it is to be called Earthling.

About the same as divisions between humans born on the same planet. Its in our nature.
Pic related, it takes a threat for the whole of humanity to get the differnt planets to work together, and even then they pretty much try to kill each other throughout the series.

>Earthling
Earthican.

If we do solar colonization it would probably be pretty important, but of course extrasolar colonization is just silliness and no one will bother, because we can instead live on convenient spaceborne habitats that are perfectly climate controlled and get all their resources via autonomous asteroid mining drones.

English's fault for not being latin enough.

No they won't. Once you've got a good soil base established in a decent-size colony, you don't need earth. You can expand the soil base once you've got it; soil can be made by mixing pig shit and shredded bamboo with powdered rock and letting worms and soil microbes go at it from the starter you mixed into it.

Richer people mean more tax money.

Nothing can breathe thin carbon dioxide. If you're terraforming Mars, why not terraform it to human standards?

Probably a more realistic version of brothers, which would involve a lot rivalry with an underlying love and respect for each other.

the humans on mars would be vastly more intelligent than earth humans due to founder effects.

Depends on the sci-fi but realistically terraforming takes too much time. A thousnad years if not more.
It is simly easier to terraform Mars a little bit and optimize humans to the environment.

orionsarm.com/eg-topic/45beb1fcc5ba6

DIS NIGGA KNOWS.

Beltas 4 lyf blud

Hardly, USA being a case in point.

Wouldn't a Mars colony be designed to be as self sufficient as possible after a time - using terraforming, asteroid mining, comet water capture etc.? If you're going to be using Earth's resource to sustain a population it makes more sense to have that population on or near Earth (on artificial land, deep sea colonies or in orbit) than on an entirely different planet.

What does the US have to do with anything?

What did he mean by this

I think looking to the New England colonies and their relationship with Britain over time gives an adequate historical perspective.

Very unusual. Most former colonies hate their former masters

because most former colonies are full of formerly oppressed natives, not descendants of the colonizers,

This actually freaked me out quite a bit.

>Nothing can breathe thin carbon dioxide. If you're terraforming Mars, why not terraform it to human standards?
Because without a magnetosphere, Mars atmosphere is blown away by solar winds.

SIEG ZEON!!!

Just like how landing on the moon ensured years and years of peace, right?

>Implying the moon landing actually happened

Xd pretty epic bro, upvoted

We do live in an extremely peaceful era, but not because of the moon landing.
Though i guess it does have a lot to do with the rockets.

Intelligence will self-select though. A colony whose planners prioritize diversity above competence in their selection of colonists will end up with everyone dead in short order. Furthermore, if earth ends up Diverse, nobody will be left with the potential intelligence to build spaceships.

That probably won't be a problem on a colony world though. At least I wouldn't think so. Because presumably everyone on that planet would expand from a single united colony with a modern technological level. There wouldn't be enough communication separation for the colony to break up into separate cultures to kill each other.

Someone didn't watch the new season of South Park.

There's no way at all to have anything like Skype, or really "instant" messaging. 13 minutes to send a signal to, then 13 minutes to get one back.

Ever read "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"?

The Earth will always be the corrupt leaders that must have rocks dropped upon them.

>Because without a magnetosphere, Mars atmosphere is blown away by solar winds in a few million years

That's still faster than any form of worldwide communication available prior to the 20th century. Hell, it's faster than most forms of worldwide communications available before the 1950s.

Name it humanistan

This is honestly terrifying.

It conjures a dread in me that I cannot explain, but I almost feel sick.

Ozymandias

Depends. If there's no outside enemy, humans will probably squabble with each other over resources. If there is, then humans will join up to crush them.

How deep is the division of humans born in different countries? there's your answer

I get the same feeling.
I think its the body horror cranked up to 11. Not just personally being twisted nearly beyond recognition of humanity, but having the entire species be doomed to that fate. Its horrifying on so many levels to think that our flesh could be twisted like that, and not only that, but have every offspring become further and further removed from the humanity you knew, in both body and mind.

I reckon we should all be Australasia