What would s fantasy setting based on Iberia be like? What sort of folklore do they have?

What would s fantasy setting based on Iberia be like? What sort of folklore do they have?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantabrian_mythology
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Compaña
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

skaven

>fancy knights in shining armour
>evil hordes of desert barbarians
>several religious conflicts
>order of zealots slaughtering every believer of the old gods

pretty cool, I guess.

myfarog?

no, I wasn't talking about your frog

>Shinning armor
>Manolos
Kek, hi there anglo/froggy.

Imperial spain:
See Anima (both Argos and the actual empire)
Non-Imperial spain:
See degenesis.

WELCOME TO AQUELARRE
THE ACTUAL RPG ABOUT MAKING PACTS WITH THE DEVIL WHILE YOU SEARCH FOR JEWS IN SEMI-MYTHOLOGICAL RECONQUISTA SPAIN

JESUS CHRIST ON HIS CROSS, LOOK AT THESE SICK ILUMINATIONS.

>Aquelarre
>Not superior alatriste RPG
>Or the OG Maid, Barrio Xino

THIS NIGGA CANNOT BELIEVE HOW FUCKING EVIL THESE DEMONS ARE TORTURING POOR MIDGETS.
YOU SEE THAT?
HANGING SOME POOR MOTHERFUCKER FROM HIS BALLSACK. THAT'S NOT THE CRAP YOU USUALLY READ IN RPG MANUALS, NO SIR.

Whens someone else mentions the one thing that is your shit!

Yes you can run a good ole farog campaign in Iberia.

Muslim.

Does it come in english, or will I have to brush up on my Spanish and then refuse to speak english while running it

Kek

>>Not superior alatriste RPG

Now THAT is an RPG which needs doing!

Overly religious country ruled pretty much by the church, which is lead by a woman who comes from a race of ancient super advanced humans who rule the world from the shadows.

It exists already.

Don't forget a particularly large province rebelling against the king, and attempting to become it's own kingdom, while fighting off both the desert barbarians and their former countrymen, and somehow succeding (Portugal).

Don't forget they didn't always even when helped by two of the other greatest nations of the continent at the time

The old inhabitants of the world died long ago. They were first conquered from the south, by the proud Al-Andalus (Insert fantasy name here) who ran a prosperous, but brutal trade empire for two hundred years. Then, invaders from the north attempted to reclaim the land. They failed in their initial attempt, conquering about a third of the land. They broken into several warring kingdoms, all of whom hate each other. Al-Andalus fractured as well after three hundred years of prosperity. Squabbling warlords took up shop in cities like Fantasy-Cordoba, Fantasy-Valencia, and Fantasy-Sevilla. The largest of the northern kingdoms is making good headway, and has recently captured Toledo. Many think that this is the end of the Southern Kingdoms. There's also the ever-present threat of the Fantasy-Franks to the north, who are threatening invasion.

Wasn't that the plot of Don Quixote?

Murderhobos are downright sanctioned by the church and state, and deployed overseas to build official colonies in distant lands.

Killer Windmills, like a race of evil Windmill monsters

What do you get from the pacts? Magic?

Who, what, where, and how much?

Some folklore/trivia from Portugal:

The ancient greeks named the region from the Tagus/Douro (still up for debate) river to Galiza as "Ophiussa", land of serpents because the locals (the Ophis) worshiped snakes and snake like creatures.
Nowadays, in the northern part, there is still the tradition for shepherds to feed snakes to ward of evil, and the snake and dragon is a common symbol up there as well.

The Man with the iron hat - a huge man of bronze color, with ripped off mouth that wears an iron hat "burried" into his head accompanied by the devil who takes the form of an animal (a deer, a wild boar or a black rooster, depending on the day of the week), he robs and kills his victims and sets fire to everything if he gets mad. He Fears the old woman that rides the white mare.

The old woman in the white mare - An old woman that travels the countryside on a white mare on full moon nights. She carries a blade on one hand and makes a hellish cacophony that terrifies everyone, she also frees the bulls from their pens.

Pretty old, aventuras de alatriste rpg iirc, it used a dicepool I think.

>It's another proud redditourette not understanding quixote
I think you mean evil fucktarded knights.

>Land is filled with various peasants
>Occasionally a great wind will come by and cause bouts of insanity within the population
>peasants will randomly turn into delusional knights who roam the land

>Peasants
>Quixote
It's bored nobles and senile old people you fucking literal retard.

Way to miss the point.

>Be Baron of a nice little Barony in central Castille
>Worshipping Jesus
>go on pilgrimmage to rome
>assign your calm sick looking little Brother rule for you while you are away
>comes back
>turns out your brother worships satan
mfw

The caballero class rivalled Germans for their use of heavy armour from about halfway through the reconquista.

Sure we're not talking italians here, but caballeros were all about bling and appearances.

All I see are giants swinging their arms, user.

People do realize Iberia and medieval Iberic peninsula are different things, right?

Muh Castilian.
Superior spanish rpg lore coming though.

It's an european rpg.
Death and despair are the only things you'll get.

Okay OP, have some stuff from the North of Spain.
>Cuelebres instead of dragons
>Angry thunder Gods
>BAGPIPES
>Trickster spirits you can get to go away by telling them to collect rice because they have a hole in their hand
>Qt River spirits
>FUCK THE MOORS

I'm from Aragon and the aragonese have a reputation for being extremely stubborn.

There's a folk tale, which should be easy to retool for a fantasy setting, on that stubborness that goes like this:
>St. Peter, bored on after a long time during which he didn't have to open the gates to Heaven to anyone, asks God to let him take a look at how things are going down on Earth.
>As soon as he arrives, he starts walking the road that goes towards Zaragoza (Aragon's capital) and meets a baturro (a typical aragonese country bumpkin)
>"Whereforth are thou going, fair traveler?"
>"To Zaragoza."
>"If God will it."
>"Whether He wills it or not, I'm going to Zaragoza."
>Upset by the blasphemy uttered by the baturro, St Peter turned him into a frog.
>The baturro-frog was then left in a pond for a hundred years while St Peter toured the world. On his way back, St Peter asked the baturro where he was going.
>"To Zaragoza, you already know that"
>"Only if God wills it, my good man, only if God wills it".
>"For the love of God, His will doesn't matter! I'm going to Zaragoza!"
>St Peter left the frog in the pond for another hundred years, after which he visited the frog again and asked the same question.
>The baturro thought for a moment and said: "To Zaragoza... or the pond."

It's common among the aragonese to add "or to the pond" when you tell somebody that you're going to Zaragoza.

I'm half Spanish and I got to Spain about one or twice a year with my dad. I always go to the Asturias region, I honestly don't think any other place on earth is more like a RPG setting than Spain at the moment.

>Things that I see every year
>Some weird folk festival to a tradition I don't know about but is awesome anyway
>one of the three same guys comes into the pub I go to all the time with weed moonshine and gives out free shots after hours
>the same schizophrenic guy gives away his meds and listens to Spanish punk music on the streets
>I go rock climbing while smoking weed and drinking beer
>Old men complain about the fountains being out of order as they have been for years.

It's sad I don't know more of the folklore of the country or region but the stuff I do see when I go over there is enough to homebrew a pretty good setting for any system.

Is it true that the North West region of Spain (Galicia?) is full of South Americans and Mongrels (because natives all died during the Moor Invasion), drugs (principal entry of drugs in Europe) and everybody speaks in questions?

No, that's Brettonia.

We're talking about Estalia.

Only the questions part is true.

>Not getting he meant El Dominion from Anima BF which is Not-Spain in the setting

Fuck, Infinity threat fooled me

Also the drugs were more common.
Heroin killed more people than WW1 in Galicia during the 80s. Now it's just yeyo. The best you can find in the Peninsula.

Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion series is set in a fantasy version of Spain and is also pretty good

wanted to make sure someone mentioned that

>Heroin killed more people than WW1 in Galicia during the 80s.

Spain was neutral in WW1 so why would deaths be any higher then? or are you trying to say 17 million people died from Heroin in Galicia in the 1980s which is more than the entire population?

It's like GURPS, I think.

fuck me I love that look

Let me repeat
>Shinning armor
>Manolo's
No, manolos are filthy fucktards thirst for blood, rape and clay.

You think you're safe with army? No they hole up in cave and rape your army.
You think you're safe with navy? No they hole up in shithole and rape you anyways.
You think you safe when ally yourself with them and betray them? No they all want to stab you in dick even if you where good ally and helped them not be shitty.
Now, you think you're safe because you're also manolo? Too bad manolos hate manolos the most.

I didn't expect ww1 to kill lots of people in 1980 anyways.

Drugs killed Galicia's entire population several times in the 80s that's why their native population doesn't exist anymore and it's populated by South Americans and Mongrels today

Iberians were completely shit

romans did nothing wrong in eliminating their filth

t: Spanish

Man, I might ask you to lend me your time machine a couple of times

And this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantabrian_mythology

We have an entire genre about rogues. Spain is contrast between perception and reality.
In "El Lazarillo de Tormes" there is an entire setting about a guy born noble but poor as a rat and how he tries to keep his good image while selling his wares to eat. Because nobles cant work.
And of course there was the Civil War. Still wanting to use that setting myself. WW 2 Closed beta. With more romanticism and mercenaries.

They were the greatest cavalry Europe had to offer, maricon

Woups. You asked for fantasy.

A bunch of skirmishing people so badass and fought in so many different places that they're still used as a curse in Greece.

There's also Ancient Iberians.

there are no Moors on the coast?

Balcans.
They did nothing wrong bizantine fucking kikes pay back debts.

What about the pilgrimage to Santiago? It's still one of the most important pilgrimage routes in all christendom. You could do a lot of quest just trying to get to the holy city.

The Ancient Host:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Compaña