Is it possible there will ever be a fraction of a bitcoin smaller than a sat...

Is it possible there will ever be a fraction of a bitcoin smaller than a sat? If so couldn't bitcoin be split smaller and smaller, thereby creating more coins and lowering the value.

so dumb I can't even

please, for the love of god...

wat did I do wrong

Actually had a coworker try to make this point. He insisted that dividing bitcoin up into smaller and smaller portions was the same thing as printing more fiat

No. Think about it bro. If you have one pizza, cutting 8 ways or 1000 ways does not create more pizza.

It seems like the same thing to me... except it wont change how much everyone holds

But lending a bank 100 dollars increases the money supply by 90 dollars, and this is digital so it will make even less sense

Why are you talking about lending money? Debt and cryptocoins do not mix yet. The question was about divisibility. Dividing up a btc will not make more btc, just more smaller units which amount to the same amount of btc

SOMEONE MAKE THIS STOP!! I CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!! MODS MODS MODS

Why are you talking about pizza?

this will eventually be necessary. In the future, 1/10 of a satoshi will be the price for recycling and printing a 3D model. This will be the equivalent to 10 cents.

got born

Maybe it's a joke but there's certainly people reading this wondering if that's correct, so I'll give an easy answer.

We can now split gold to extremely tiny amounts, with science now we can have nanoparticles of gold that could be traded.
But gold took some value since the times where is was traded in the form of coins.

Also before we'd need a smaller sum than a sat, we have a long way.
One satoshi is worth $0.0002 and that's the smallest amount of bitcoin.
To be worth 1 cent it should go up 50x, that means we won't need to divide it before one btc is one million.

Say for instance: the government told everyone to rip each dollar they have in half and each half is now worth a dollar. How would this not be the same thing?

but will 1 satoshi ever be worth 1 btc?

Can't tell if real. What you described is the same as multiplying the total amount of dollars in circulation by 2. Dividing bitcoins into something smaller than a satoshi is the same as if we burned a certain amount of dollars and then minted the value equivalent amount of half-cents. Meaning there would be no more dollars than what we started with.

Yes, you just need a simple update to unlock more zeros after the coma, check Satoshi messages.

Your coworker is fucking retarded and should be
gassed for eugenic purposes, if I cut a pizza in 2 I don't have more pizza.

nigga yes it does, the point he's trying to make is that since you cut it into a thousand pieces, everyone will get pizza, but each piece of pizza will theoretically be smaller

rip each dollar in half and each dollar is worth HALF a dollar.

the increasing value of bitcoin CAUSES it to (need to) be divided smaller. Dividing it smaller has no effect on the value.

>he hasn't heard of salt or ripio

That's it. I'm done. Veeky Forums has gotten too fucking dumb. I can't stay here any longer. Enjoy drowning in retard drool, everyone.

You need to be euthanized.

>To be worth 1 cent it should go up 50x, that means we won't need to divide it before one btc is one million.
Fractional cents are a thing

Say, we add another digit at the end. Then, everyone has 10x as many "basic units." But wait a tick, this basic unit isn't a satoshi, it's a millisatoshi worth exactly 1/10 of a satoshi.

>X * 10 * (1/10) = X
same value

Only the "basic unit" loses it's value. The value of 1 BTC does not change from this event with respect to USD or any other currency.

>milli
Well whatever the fuck is the prefix but you get the point

Yes they are called altcoins.