Are you a fan of eldritch tentacled monstrosities rampaging through the countryside...

Are you a fan of eldritch tentacled monstrosities rampaging through the countryside? Does the tickling feeling of your sanity eroding thrill you more than anything else? Are you a cultist? A scholar? An investigator? An agent? Then hop right in, this is the place for you! Welcome to the unending carousel of Lovecraftian games, fiction, and all else! Enjoy the ride, but don't lose your hat! And your mind, too!

A Wild Ride at the Dark Carnival edition

>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>PDF Archive:

>Call of Cthulhu
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Achtung! Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

>Call of Cthulhu 7e
sendspace.com/file/8gje9p

>Delta Green

>The old:
>Original Sourcebook
mediafire.com/?njg3a0ne7v130
>Countdown
mediafire.com/download/f3ygcpda5cfitl7/CoC - DG - Rulebook - Countdown.pdf
>Targets of Opportunity
mediafire.com/file/1sttbzhtbp6t47x/Delta Green - Targets of Opportunity.pdf

>The new:
>Need to Know
dropbox.com/s/6vc7fuxg5n5jyfd/Delta Green Need to Know.pdf?dl=1
>Agent's Handbook
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1461968691
mega.nz/#!8c5kFbJL!bAYHcyWX_RUbvoAMWI63E7XLUdfU19APQnWIv5tzamk

Question of the day: how dark are your games? All taken straight, serious and gloomy, or do you allow bits of tongue-in-cheek humor?

Other urls found in this thread:

reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-iraq-antiquities-idUSKBN16H1V5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OP clearly lost his mind and didn't put in the subject, this thread is doomed to die! The horror! Here, let's struggle pointlessly against this terrifying cosmic inevitability!

And so did the second post! This is the fate we all deserve! This /ysg/ wasn't meant to be!

I just ran Puppet Shows and Shadow Plays. PCs are supposed to be inducted into DG at the end of it. When I was convincing the players, one of them asked why would anyone actually join the Org. I pressed on the PCs' curiosity and the desire to protect their families, friends and country, and that worked.

But seriously, why would anyone actually join DG? It's a sure-fire way to go insane, lose everything and everyone you love and die in a very painful way, in any order and combination. And there is absolutely zero benefits. Do all potential agents have a direct encounter with the unnatural and are either recruited or disposed of as witnesses? Does DG recruit only people that fit a certain personality type AND have a certain set of skills? I once saw a character, a CIA agent, that was kidnapped, brainwashed, forcibly inducted and told to keep quiet. Is that even a thing?

An unsearchable general just fits perfect within the cosmic horror vibe.

I just imagined this one guy that just has the time of his life when The Stars Are Right. He's not a cultist or a loony (although not for long). He just thinks that monsters are the coolest, and hiding or fighting them is super exciting.

I command this thread to continue existing. I will support it by sheer force of will.

>But seriously, why would anyone actually join DG?

In old DG all friendlies and most agents were lied to about the nature of the organization - they thought they were joining an official government bureau with real authority, not a secret criminal conspiracy. It wasn't until they were in too deep to back out that the real nature of DG was revealed to them.

>Does DG recruit only people that fit a certain personality type AND have a certain set of skills?

Yes. They're hampered by the fact that FBI agents, computer scientists etc are a scarce resource, even scarcer when you can only bring the ones in that you can trust to keep a secret and do what you tell them. The way DG treats its agents as totally disposable, the pool is not only small, it's constantly shrinking faster than it's being refilled. The quality of agents is only going to decline over time as a result.

>I once saw a character, a CIA agent, that was kidnapped, brainwashed, forcibly inducted and told to keep quiet. Is that even a thing?

This comes up a lot in Eclipse Phase when people ask why anyone would ever join Firewall. I have to imagine that, while it's not common, it's not unheard of. One of my characters is a criminal who got caught robbing one of the Program's shipments, and is now serving the agency as a friendly in exchange for dodging prosecution.

What about the new DG? It's legal, yeah, but it's technically a secret clearance level and a set of obligations that doesn't impart any authority on its own.

>
>DG treats its agents as totally disposable
Does anything support this claim? This just doesn't make sense. It would be more believable if A-cell or whatever rules the Program now cared and looked out for their agents as good as incredibly stretched resources would allow.

>Eclipse Phase
is a terribly written heap of wasted potential.

>is a terribly written heap of wasted potential.

He said, as he discussed Delta Green

>Does anything support this claim? This just doesn't make sense. It would be more believable if A-cell or whatever rules the Program now cared and looked out for their agents as good as incredibly stretched resources would allow.

We're talking cosmic horror here. DG cannot win. DG can only temporary stall the inevitable for just a few years until it goes extinct through attrition, gets nuked by the gov, or switches sides and becomes a cult with a lot of guns.

This is the most blatant Delta Green hook I've ever seen
reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-iraq-antiquities-idUSKBN16H1V5

>Jonah's mosque was blown up in July 2014, but experts surveying the damage after it was recaptured in January by a U.S.-backed Iraqi campaign found a network of tunnels dug by the militants, leading down to a 7th century BC Assyrian palace.

>The careful way the tunnels were dug show the militants wanted to keep the treasures intact, said archaeologist Musab Mohammed Jassim, from the Nineveh Antiquities and Heritage Department

>"They used simple tools and chisels to dig the tunnels, in order not to damage the artifacts," he said, standing near the tunnel network which leads from the mosque ruins above ground to the much older subterranean palace.

Is this a good place to talk about Arkham file games (Arkham/Eldritch Horror, MoM, AHLCG, et al), seeing they are kinda related?

Yes. I've heard the new Arkham Horror card game is really good.

What's a good system for running a grim and atmospheric mystery game in the style of True Detective, Season 1? (Excluding the optimistic finale.)

Awesome. And the best bit is the newest/current campaign cycle for AHLCG is based on (the aftermath of) the Dunwich Horror.

Which is clearly related to Yog-Sothoth somehow...

they stop one killer, their personal lives are shattered, and the larger conspiracy gets away. isn't that the good end for most campaigns?

Rust experiences an epiphany which rids him of his pessimism. That's sort of the reverse of Lovecraftian fiction.

Yeah but if you pay attention to his point he actually completely misinterprets things. I was watching it with someone who was a big CoC player and she said "he failed his Idea roll".

Of course then she had to explain what that meant because I never played the damn game

>Yeah but if you pay attention to his point he actually completely misinterprets things. I was watching it with someone who was a big CoC player and she said "he failed his Idea roll".

what did she mean by this?

Apparently it's some kind of thing where you roll to figure out stuff?

But if you mean Rust's point just go over it again
he makes a point that in the darkness of near death experience he was happy and with his daughter etc. But then he says he's optimistic because he sees the stars as the light winning over the dark. What was he distracted by that almost got him killed? The light. The supernatural/hallucinatory spiral light of the King in Yellow. The light is the horror and the dark he was with his daughter. The triumph of the light over dark is actually a bad thing

Huh, interesting point. I thought she meant that he failed his Idea roll because him and Marty (the light) only succeeded in stopping one member of the conspiracy (the dark) and that they're going to continue committing abuses. Except for a positive near death experience (which Cohle would know can have a chemical basis) he has no reason to believe that the light is winning.

Since this is here...

Of the 2 starting scenarios in the Dunwich big box, which would you recommend going for first?

>What's a good system for running a grim and atmospheric mystery game in the style of True Detectiveâ„¢, Season 1, now available on Blu Ray?

For you, I recommend Shills and Shekels