Things you're okay with, but only up to a certain point

>The main organized religion in the campaign setting is corrupt!

Okay, that's pretty usual, I can live with that.

>And by that I mean every single clergyman is an evil hypocrite scumbag! Only in that religion thou, the not!wiccans are good and pure and--

Fucking hell Steve we get it, you hated sunday school, keep it off the table.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-six_Martyrs_of_Japan
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakure_Kirishitan
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

> things you are okay with, but only up to a certain point
Everything and anything?

>you're gonna fight lovecraftian horrors

Okay, I don't like the emphasis on fighting, but I guess we can kill some ghouls and maybe some worms...

>roll to hit cthulhu in the head with a warhammer

PISS THE FUCK OFF!

>The bad guys are actually the good guys!
Then why were they murdering the shit out of the first nine villages we came to?
>Elves are douchebags
It doesn't help that literally every PC high elf in games I've run have turned out to be selfish, vain bitches.

>the not!wiccans are good and pure
Not even okay with this up to a point t b h
Any neopagan wank and I'm gong full Catholic at the table from then on

With my d&d-group, I am running my sort-of own setting, where the main deities, historically, for the locals in the area they are adventuring are Umberlee and Auril.
It's sort of a coastal !not-scandinavia.

The nobles worship a LN God, who is sort of inspired by the deification of Augustus in the Roman empire. Virtues like stability and strict family-structure, adherence to authority.

It's sort of playing off a general theme of Civilization vs. Barbarism and stuff.

The Auril / Umberlee-people are downright horrible and practice human sacrifice and shit. The nobles are also horrible, but more in a sort of plotting medieval-Europe kind of way.

I'm not sure why I made both sides villains. It's not really central to the story. Just GOT-hivemind probably.

No, fuck you, ending Nyarlathotep with a punch to the face is sick.

>Angels aren't pure good they can be douches too
Okay I guess.
>Oh but turns out angels are the real bad guys because they're totally all tyrannical and shit and demons are just like freedom fighters bro
Then why were they slaughtering townspeople like no tomorrow and trying to corrupt entire kingdoms? Go fuck yourself, this kind of mindless subversion for the sake of subversion has never worked.

You are everything wrong with modern Lovecraftian media.

I feel like that would wake up Azathoth. Which would be bad.

Mine is like yours, just replace not!wiccans with not!protestants.

Good.

Congrats on helping to continue ruining the legacy of cosmic horror!

You're welcome. I hope it gets ground into nothing by the end of the decade.

This is legit most animes.

Bit of a turn-off once it gets repeated the 5478368235th time.

What if the polytheistic religion are generally good guys, except that 99% of their follower's souls get recycled so that they don't merge into an eldritch super-entity?

And if the monotheistic religion that splintered off first one with a worship of a particular god, are also generally good guys. They even stockpile their follower's souls into churches so they keep existing forever, or at least until the church gets destroyed or they inevitably get absorbed into the mega-entity. The only thing is, they got the whole not! Inquisition going against the other guys, and boy do they love their witch hunts.

Also, the thing closest to an actual God is that super-entity that will be created when all the souls merge together.

>The main organized religion in the campaign setting is corrupt!
>And by that I mean every single clergyman is an evil hypocrite scumbag! Only in that religion thou, the not!wiccans are good and pure and--

What are Sith and Jedi?

>The setting is deiselpunk fantasy
Oh, cool!
>Every race is literally the same culturally as they are in regular fantasy. In every single way. Uber-hippie elves with inexplicably awesome metalworking, sturdy Dwarves unnaground with axes, Orcs are /still fucking barbarians/, except now they ride Motorcycles with skulls
While the last one is kinda cool, it triggers my autism that Human culture is the only one that changes. Now I can't even enjoy my lizardfolk paladin riding motorcycles.

their own established concepts which are themselves universally panned for being bland and uninteresting with any attempt to improve upon them generally shot down or corrupted into one or the other extremist factions

>what is Mists of Avalon

I like it when angels and demons both have good points but are still just different flavors of assholes. Makes the decision to blow up Antarctica really easy.

>The government is pretty strict and has some weird laws

Alright, some tyranny can get the ball rolling.

>But the only law I'm going to focus is on is whatever real world issue I have currently

Well I'll see myself out.

Nothing against people's politics, but I'm not rolling a halfling bard to raise the minimum wage to 15 silver pieces or legalize moonweed.

Marxist.

Wow I didn't know that Sargon of Akkad was in this thread

Nope, just a crossposter.

You don't stop seeing ((their)) machinations. Ever.

>There are forces/factions at work in the campaign whose power is beyond the PCs understanding, let alone influence.
I can live with that, it's pretty much like real life. No group of four to six people could take down a modern nation/crime ring/religion/whatever, much less seriously stymie their efforts.

>Nothing the PCs do matters at all because every other power is so much greater than them that everything significant is accomplished by NPCs. The PCs don't really do things, rather things just kind of happen to them and they react to them.
If I wanted real life, I'd do real life. I play these games to feel like I'm a strong, capable person with agency and the ability to effect change. Fuck off Jordan, I didn't sign up for a nihilist dystopia game and neither did anyone else.

Of all the words, you go with Marxist?

>Jordan
My guy who did this was Tyrel. Hated that fucker so much for always pulling this shit.

Also, witnessed.

>Its a succubus
Let's kill it right now.
>But she's a redeemed succubus!
Let's kill you right now.

>Demons are good boys who dindu nuffin
>Angels are evil
Explain why Japan does this. I get that in Japan the closest equivalent to a demon is a youkai and some of them are just mischievous, but the evil angel thing makes no sense.
>Inb4 "you can't name other instances than Gabriel Dropout"
There's also Panty & Stocking, Disgaea, Maoyuu (sort of) Final Fantasy IV I think where one of the end bosses is literally the Holy Virgin and Final Fantasy Tactics where not!Jesus is kind of evil.

>Disgaea
To be fair, is there any faction in that game that isn't filled with assholes?

Do Prinnies count as a faction, dood?

In PSG, the titular characters were explicitly kicked out of heaven for being shitheads.

Scanty and Kneesocks were still kinda fascist cunts even if they weren't actually evil.

It was more chaotic douchebag vs lawful douchebag

God isn't good. There, an excuse for evil angels.

>where not!Jesus is kind of evil.

He was always a false saint, though. I don't think Ivalice has a direct angel/demon analogy anyway, you've only got the Lucavi and their creators, the Occuria, and they're ALL ASSHOLES

But the Occuria were still right, in the end.

>My character had a rough life before the game

oooooookkkkkkk.....

>she was raped like nine times, her father tried killing her, and you mother never cared about her

Get the fuck out

>My character had a rough life before the game
>She's a ShindoL protagonist

But that's wrong

The Occuria created 24 Scions, but only 12 of those fell to become the Lucavi, the others remained, turning it into a literal light side/dark side of the Zodiac. This makes the Lucavi a fairly blatant demon analogy. Note that we never actually find out what becomes of the 12 that didn't fall.

And Zodiark is in the middle somewhere because he's powerful enough to be his own side and still keep the equation balanced.

Angels belong to christian mythology.
In Japan, Christianity was that creepy foreign sect that never caught on.
It is not that they are trying their hand at clever subversion, they are playing the evil cult trope straight.

You could write down pretty much any 90's era JRPG that isn't dragon quest as an example.

Demons and Angels in Disgaea aren't unholy and holy, and aside from Vulcanus most of the angels were good. Lamingotn's bullshit was just a ruse to bring peace between Angels and Demons.

>it's unthinkable that an organisation could be more prone to corruption than a loose affiliation
I don't think you understand how anything works.

>In Japan, Christianity was that creepy foreign sect that never caught on.
Bullshit it never caught on, celebrating Christmas and shit is pretty common.

>I'd like to make an 'entertainer' if you know what I mean.
Yeah sure, I mean, it's the world oldest profession. give it a shot
>can I hump the (Guard/Dragon/Trader/King/NPC/Literally any single character, every time we meet someone) for a bargain?
You're getting Aids. Dragon aids

Christmas in Japan has about as much to do with Christianity as Christmas in America.

>Then why were they murdering the shit out of the first nine villages we came to?

They had no choice! They were being oppressed by those privileged peasants!

>Well I had a pretty uneventful childhood, like any normal boy. Until I was turned into a girl and raped by everyone I know for about 10 years. Now I'm an adventurer.

>hp lovecraft was an edgy permavirgin.jpg

Why else do you think he's so loved by geeks?

>Session gets political
As long as it isn't heavy-handed, gives benefit of the doubt to opposing ideologies, isn't too black-and-white, and doesn't demonize an entire non-extreme political group, I'll cautiously tread into your /pol/itical realm.

I hate both always lolrandum evil races and dinduism. Can't find a balance.

>If she makes your penis hard, she can be redeemed by it!
I would like to see a redeemed succubus actually betray the redeemer during sex.

Well there were a couple of times it about to catch on before being stomped on with extreme prejudice by the shogunate.

Always nuke, always humanity beyond all else.

That's called paradoleic paranoia. It's a sign of insanity, you dipshit.

It was a pretty significant religion before a couple shogunates started persecuting christians. There's even a term for people who kept practicing christianity in secret after it started
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-six_Martyrs_of_Japan
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakure_Kirishitan

...Dude actually travelled, got laid, and had more friends that pretty much everyone on this board.
And hell, about 85% of the people around here are actually way more racist than him.

People think Billy's racist?

Pathfinder players that insist on playing pathfinder. When its established you are not. Not to mention they always try to say pathfinder does this or that better when the matters are subjective and or not true.

Bullshit he cospired with a demon to commit.

I figure that it might have something to do with how easy it is to turn Angels into totalitarian/lawful/dictators when the christian god literally set out laws of "Don't do this, or you will go to hell", as well as it's penchant for being described as an omnipotent (or all-but) being that created humanity.

It follows in theme to be similar to AI, in that beings with Free Will will always reject their creator. Angel, unable to follow anything bug God's Law (tm), are easy to push into beings that are only capable of seeing in black and white. Which has it's own flaws that are semi-rarely addressed How do they justify killing humans, when in theory god has a set date for when all humans should die, and an angel killing humans before that date would be going against it's law?

It's done somewhat interestingly in some settings (Devil Survivor comes to mind), where the whole situation is because Yahweh decided humanity was stagnating, and gave them a trial in order to see if they deserved to continue existing. Non human-summoned Angels start showing up in the last few days where the war for the king of demons is coming to a head, basically to act as gatekeepers to assist the military in killing civilians that try to escape the locked down city, and working against "conspiracies" to subvert the situation. Demons are also kinda different. But unfortunately I don't exactly remember the cosmology of the setting. In all SMT games, it's not really Good vs Evil though, they represent Law vs Chaos. Both of which are absolute shit when taken the extremes of either Yahweh or the Demons.

>Every single person in this religion is evil because I don't like their real world equivalent, every single person in this religion is good because of the opposite reason

I don't think you understand how reading comprehension works.

>Permavirgin
You uh, do know that according to his wives diaries, he was very good in bed, right?

Just because you can't get laid doesn't mean everyone else is on your level, buddy.

She described him as "adequately excellent," which I've never been sure how to break down. Like, did he just last a long time but didn't do anything to rock the boat?

Maybe she gave him an A for effort.

Great, now I need to hide my boner on a bus full of people. Thanks user.

Absorption fag get out
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Probably means he was not very good at fucking, but pretty good at licking pussy.

What this guy said: In only one of your examples (FF:T) is there an actual Christianity proxy religion. Normally Japan just uses angels for the exotic iconography without much deeper meaning.

Their concept of religion is very different from our own. They just see the angels as lesser spirits that exercise individual will, for the most part. Like celestial bureaucrats.

He isn't complaining about the corrupt church, he is complaining that EVERY member of the church is corrupt while NOBODY with the wiccans and other minor religion shits is just a corrupt shithead.

>NPC's are conversing with each other
Yeah that's pretty par for the course so that's alrigh-
>Entire group of NPC's are all talking to each other and it is really difficult for the party members to converse with each other
Just tell us the general topic of the conversation and then let us fill in the blanks, you don't have to walk us through an entire conversation.

Christmas has very little to do with chrisitianity as a whole to most people nowadays honestly.

I'm not going to go full redpill on you here, it's off-topic. Try actually looking instead of swallowing their lies at face value.

>Strong NPCs/GMPCs

Ok, I guess it helps keep the story on track. I won't bear a grudge if you can't improv your way out of player shenanigans

>NPCs/DMPCs solve everything with the plot revolving around them, leaving the player characters and their players as glorified bystanders

Just right a damn book already

Good. Fuck H.P. Lovecraft and everything he stood for.
Guy was a piece of shit and a terrible writer.