Tips for getting started with making Mordheim warbands

Hi Veeky Forums

So, I want to get back into Mordheim. Haven't touched it in 10-12 years, and ALL my miniatures were destroyed in a flood about six years ago (witch hunter warband, Reikland warband, Marienburg warband, along with my WH40K Imperial Guards, about 3000 points worth, Space Marines, about 2500 points worth, Daemon Hunters and Witch Hunters, about 2000 points combined, and my WHF Empire, about 4000 points worth, Bretonians about 2000 points worth, and Beastmen about 1500 points worth. Fucking sucked.)

Anyways. I want to make a few different warbands while I'm at it. Witch Hunters and some sort of Mercenaries are at the top of my list, followed by Undead and Possessed down the line, and I want to do it on a budget.

My main question is basically, what minis should I get? I wish to keep it as non-metal as possible, but I'm not fanatical about it or anything.

I've been looking at the various Perry Miniatures boxes, and I'm leaning towards getting the Mercenaries box. It's got a lot of decent bits and a whopping 40 miniatures, so I'd be pretty well off - but there are neither bows nor pistols, and I need those. Also, the pikes are way too long, and I'll never need that many handguns or crossbows.

Alternatively the Pike & Shotte Infantry Regiment plastic boxed set looks pretty cool too, I especially like the command sprue, but the problem is that they don't even have crossbows, and the core models seem less flexible.

An option is buying just the command sprue (a bit expensive, but they'll make cool witch hunters, Marienburger heroes, maybe even a vampire)

But that leads me to my next question: do the Perry minis and the Wargame minis "fit"? or do they not mix very well? Size wise and such.

Next up - the Frostgrave Cultists. Again, these seem really cool. Obviously well suited for a possessed warband. They come with some zombie bits, and I think I could make a cool necromancer out of them too.

To be continued....

Other urls found in this thread:

wyrdwars.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>destroyed in a flood about six years ago
wtf how? were your minis made of paper?

plastic and metal should endure just about any flooding conditions, unless you say your stuff got washed away never to be seen again.

I think frostgrave is a little shorter than GW, Malifaux a little taller and historicals more realistically scaled. I'd say that if you're gonna go with a range, try and make whole faction with them, so that it doesn't look like shit.

I still think you can make perfectly good Mordheim warbands out of GW kits. A free company or a handgunner and state troop box is about all the minis you'll need for a mercenary kit (I had some free company sprues, so I got handgunners and state troops and mixed them all together). Dwarf thunderer box makes excellent dwarfs, since the kit comes with shields, axes, pistols, etc. as well. Some spare Chaos Warrior bits and a Chaos Marauder box (spare from my WoC army), alongside some other bits, like Daemons stuff, made a good Possessed warband.

Floods aren't just your house getting damp, you know. They can mess shit up quite bad.

Dude i know what a flood is and what it does. I am just trying to understand how they could have gotten so fucked up that they weren't salvageable.

Raw sewage, and they were in my parents' basement. I was away at the time, and they just threw out everything down there. I honestly don't blame them, even if it was sad.

cont.

I'm sure I can also make some nice zealots and maybe a dreg or two from the Frostgrave Cultists, and definitely a magister too.

That means I'll still need:

Dire wolves, ghouls, and maybe dregs, for the undead.

Possessed, mutants and beastmen for the possessed.

Flaggelants, warhounds, maybe zealots and a warrior priest for the witch hunters.

I'm considering getting a box of Flaggelants as well, as they have a lot of cool bits and heads, and I'll be awfully low on flails and such. They are kind of expensive though.

Now, prices.
Depending on where I get them the mercenaries are 200 kroner+shipping for 40. That's 5 kroner+shipping a piece. Incredibly cheap.
The Pike & Shotte Infantry regiment is also 40 miniatures for pretty much the same price, but if I only want the command sprue I'll be paying £5+shipping for 3 minis. As these will be heroes, and they come with a lot of cool stuff I think I'll accept the price of £1.67+shipping/mini.

The cultists are twice the price of the mercs, at 200 kroner for 20. 10 kroner pr. mini is still very cheap.
The flaggelants are even more expensive, at 175 kroner for 10. That means 17.50 per mini, but at least I can get them locally so I won't have to bother with shipping.

To be continued.

>I honestly don't blame them, even if it was sad.
Really? I get they threw it all away while you were gone because it was covered in shit, but would you have thrown them away if you were there?

>Warhounds
Cadwallon does a dog handler guy with 3 puppers and so does the Freebooters Fate guys.

For dire wolves/dregs/ghouls/possessed I would search Reaper first, but also privateer press for some nautical themed undead.
For beastmen just use the new frostgrave gnoll box and have dogmen instead of goats. Perfectly average.

I'm honestly not sure if I would. Of course they didn't know the value of the stuff, they must have just figured "old toys" and got rid of everything. As said, I hadn't touched any of it in years and left it when I moved out.

>I think frostgrave is a little shorter than GW, Malifaux a little taller and historicals more realistically scaled. I'd say that if you're gonna go with a range, try and make whole faction with them, so that it doesn't look like shit.

Thanks user, that's the sort of stuff I wanted to avoid. Gracias. Would you happen to know if there's any major difference between the Perry minis and the stuff from Warlord Games? They seem quite similar.

>
I still think you can make perfectly good Mordheim warbands out of GW kits. A free company or a handgunner and state troop box is about all the minis you'll need for a mercenary kit (I had some free company sprues, so I got handgunners and state troops and mixed them all together). Dwarf thunderer box makes excellent dwarfs, since the kit comes with shields, axes, pistols, etc. as well. Some spare Chaos Warrior bits and a Chaos Marauder box (spare from my WoC army), alongside some other bits, like Daemons stuff, made a good Possessed warband.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like GW makes the Free Company boxes anymore, that was my first thought too though. I have looked at their various boxes, and I have considered going the Greatswords, Flaggelants, Handgunners/Crossbowmen, Archers, State Troopers way, and that would definitely be cool, but also relatively costly. Sure, I'd have 50 models to work with, but at a cost of 875 kroner. That's a little more than I'm willing to spend right now, although if I find that it's simply great fun and I want to commit further to it I might go that rout.

The great thing about historical minis is that all you gotta do is write the names of the companies and "comparison" and get various images.

>doesn't seem like GW makes the Free Company boxes anymore

Retailers might still have some, try looking online or local stores.

>Greatswords, Flaggelants, Handgunners/Crossbowmen, Archers, State Troopers

Handgunners and state troops is enough for 90% of your merc needs. You get various weapons, shields, spears, halberds, pistols, muskets, crossbows, etc. There's even a two-handed sword in there. Look into bits stores for additional weapons and customization bits.

I sure botched that second greentext.

Wow, those are some cool miniatures. Never heard of Reaper before. A little bit pricey, but certainly cool.

Gnolls for beastmen are actually a very interesting idea. I might just pursue that - even if having 20 minis is a little bit much, but they're so cool I just might do it anyways. Thanks!

>Never heard of Reaper before

How is that possible!

Also, they got their Bones range, which is plastic (a softer plastic, like you'd find on army men toys, etc.) and dirt cheap.

Best place for Skaven giant rats, pack of 3 for $5.

Sweet! Thanks, that's very helpful. Wow, that picture really makes it clear to me that the Perry brothers are simply on another level - just look at the hands. Wow.

>You get various weapons, shields, spears, halberds, pistols, muskets, crossbows, etc. There's even a two-handed sword in there.

Hm, from what I could see there was not a single pistol, but I might very well be wrong. Aside from that, they seem to be very focused on swords as melee weapons, which is a quite common problem for me at least, as I only use relatively few swords in Mordheim.

Anyways, to make up for the lack of bows I was also considering the English archer Argincourt sprue and the War of the roses command sprue for some more heavy armour, for a total of £8.5+shipping for 8 minis.

That would bring me to a total of a whopping 40+3+20+10+8=81 miniatures. Way too much for 4 war bands, but it's nice to have something to work with, and who knows - maybe I'll make more. That doesn't take knolls/beastmen or the various hounds and wolves into consideration, of course, but it's a place to start.

I would use the gnolls as skaven as well. If you get ambitious you can use green stuff to elongate their noses a little or give them tails with some of it and a lil wire.

Thats kinda a cool idea.

Can we keep the Mordheim thread alive? Pictures of warbands/inspiration? I was just about to start hacking minis apart to make a tree kin.
Also if interested in Beastmen, I've heard tale about being able to model a full warband from a box of Gors.

Always bump Mordheim threads.

I can second the frostgrave plastics - I bought a box of soldiers and I'm very happy with them.

Also thoughts on wyrdwars.com/ ? It seems like a more sane, if slightly more bland version.

OP back here.

Do you use them for Mordheim? If so, what warband(s)? And pics? :-)

Currently running a Wood Elf melee warband. Stupid Glade Guard box only came with 8 swords though. So currently cappin myself at 9 (I gave myself one archer) until I figure out how I wanna get the other warband members modeled. Was thinking of pickin up a Dark Elf corsairs box to get some of those sweet, sweet, katanas.

So far my little bastards have had good luck outrunning dwarfs/gobs for objectives, but they have a tendency to get smushed as soon as we have to actually fight. Except for my dancer... that Ld test works nicely against gobs. RIP my buffed spellsinger who gave herself an annuerysm then got stepped on by a Gobbo henchie.

Bumping for Mordheim

If you go for the warlord/frostgrave plastics route then remember that both of the companies sell individual sprues directly, got myself an extra frostgrave soldiers sprue on the last nickstarter.

Don't have pics right now but I've been using the Frostgrave soldiers for Mercenaries. The sprue has absolutely loads of options, but no guns and no armour.

A gw box with a lot of gun bitz is the pistoliers/outrider one as well. It's perfect for kitbashing.

Also perry mercs with gw arms and heads look like blinged out averlanders due to the proportions.

Halfling war band?
I'm intrigued.

It's a warband I'm working on for Frostgrave.

Minis are from Copplestone castings.

Hey weary traveller, perhaps I can interest you in a bump for some wyrdstone?

I made some Mordheim minis with Frostgrave and Perry minis.

Water can fuck up plastic pretty bad depending what's in the water. Floods aren't exactly a torrent of clean tapwater.

Wanting to build a bunch of warbands so I can have things on hand to get my newbies interested in it. The list is 4 humans and 4 "monsters" for variety.
>Mercs (made to be usable as either of the 3)
>Gunners of Nuln
>Witch Hunters
>Mordheimers
>Undead
>Skaven
>Beastmen
>Possessed

Anyone that can provide links to places to get models to match up with these warbands, especially if they're plastic multiparts; I see a lot of kitbashing in my future.

I am a fan, especially of great weapon-guy in the second pic

Thanks. I had a lot of fun making them.

Thanks for the pictures, you've convinced me the perry mini's will make a fun band

Skaven can be done with either a box of Gutter Runners(??) or clanrats and a little bit o' motivation/converting.

You're welcome, user.

The new blood bowl skaven are also great for this.

OP back here

Very cool miniatures user! It was very helpful to see those :)

Thanks, OP. It also doesn't hurt to learning to sculpt a little bit. Fur, hobo beards and pouches are easy mode.

I bought a bunch of Warlord Scots to use. Not actually played mordheim since but the miniatures are really nice and reasonably priced, certainly compared to GW.

Fireforge Games has some post Viking Scandinavians coming out that might make for good Middenheimers.

I have most things needed for a Skaven warband. Got them from a friend who said I could take what I needed from his army collection.