Has a game which purported to be about "anime" (not some specific anime...

Has a game which purported to be about "anime" (not some specific anime, an actual "anime RPG") ever managed to be anything but a low-quality generic/superhero system?

No, but I'm sure the resident BESMfags will be along shortly to insist that their generic system is actually a perfect adaptation of anime because some of the descriptions reference anime tropes.

Come on user, you know it's not nice to pick on people with disabilities.

Mekton Zeta isn't a generic anime game, it's very specifically about mecha. That's the key thing here: it's possible to make a good game so long as you focus on a relatively narrow genre of anime (ninjas, giant mecha, magical girls, whatever) but if you try to simultate the ENTIRE MEDIUM you're doomed from the get go. It's like trying to make a game modeling "books". It must become so generic it becomes pointless.

OVA is flawed as all fuck, but I do admire the developer's earnest attempt to actually acknowledge the breadth of genres anime covers and try to offer SOME advice on how to handle things that aren't just your regular superhero or fantasy adventure with catgirls on top. His blog actually has a fairly in-depth system for turning musical performances into dramatic, dynamic conflict scenes inspired by Your Lie in April.

For supposedly being about the extremely specific sub sub subgenre of romantic comedy with maids, this one is astonishingly good for a very wide range of purposes.

What flaws does OVA have? I was curious about it though I think Risus does lighthearted anime-esque games a bit better for my purposes.

My god I need to know more.

Perhaps it is time to join the academy and start on the path of the philosopher, like so many before you.

What about?

>anime with fight scenes
>not low-quality generic superhero cartoons
It is literally impossible to create what you're asking for, user.

MAID basically says:
>So you like Maids, you filthy weaboo pervert?
>THAT'S FANTASTIC! LETS MAKE EVERYTHING MAIDS!
>THAT DOG! MAID!
>THAT HOUSE! MAID!
>THAT SPACE MARINE!
>MAAAAAAAID!

It doesn't take itself seriously, thus making it adequate.

"Generic anime" stereotype is shit. Therefore generic anime RPG is destined to be shit too.

I think the thing many people miss about The Anime Hack is that it flat out tells you if you're looking to represent a kind of anime that's essentially just a Western genre with Japanese speaking characters, you're better off playing a game about that genre and saying everyone speaks Japanese. The Anime Hack tries to focus SOLELY on things that are highly characteristic of anime as a medium that you don't normally see in Western media, like giant mecha and magical girls. It's a shitty game, make no mistake, but that particular argument was never good.

Anime is a medium, not a genre. That's like saying "Has a game which purported to be about "book" ever managed to be adequate?".

OVA is okay.

I get into this argument all the time. People see anime as this sort of genre that some western shows it into and some eastern animation doesn't.

Anime is animation from japan. It isn't a style or genre, nor should it be. The Boondocks' animation is very japanese inspired, but no one should call it anime.

Reason I bought The Anime Hack in the first place was that I saw in the DTRPG preview the first page of text literally opened with those words. Problem is, as I said, that while they acknowledge this (hence them admitting you'd be better of using another game if you want to run an anime with a genre that "also" exists in the West, and they'd be focusing only on the very iconically Japanese stuff) the execution is still very lacking.

^^^

People give the game a very hard time for only presenting a mishmash of outrageous anime stereotypes for character classes, claiming it doesn't really model anime because most anime doesn't actually feature a party of a magical girl, a monster collector, a giant mecha and a ninja working together (or that there are a ton of anime about stuff like modern day cops or fantasy warriors or vampires or whatnot, and it can't even model those), but that's completely missing the point. You're supposed to use the contents to add those uniquely anime elements to your other games. If you're looking to run a game about vampires or wizards, there are more than enough that do that. And if you want it to be anime, that's as simple as setting in Tokyo or filling your fantasy world with slimes and airships. It's a nonvisual medium, when you strip it down to details like that it becomes purely a matter of description.

And your taste is shit. What a surprise.

That's why I admired Mecha & Manga for Mutants & Masterminds. It knowingly built on the foundation of a very generic system plainly admitted it was adding more generic stuff, just focusing on the anime tropes.

What that user said

I, too, wish only well for Ontario Volleyball Association.

Anime is a set of artistic movements inside the art of animation.

True, but it also has a number of conventions which are strongly associated with it when compared to western animation. Mostly, when people talk about anime style roleplaying games, that's what they mean.

I was just correcting him about anime being a medium.
You are right, anime as a movement have certain conventions (that not all required at once) and that conventions can be translated to other mediums (light novels for example)

If your players are munchkins or just combat oriented, they can create top tier characters in character creation, also if you don't have a setting in mind they will create some varied character, like in my one shot:

The old avatar
Edgy wind master
Gambit
Shadow Demon samurai
Nigger surfer

Also everyone could fly

This, if we reduce anime to a style then avatar becomes anime, if we reduce it to a location then Japan gets the monopoly on the styles presented in it

Try making an avatar thread on /a/ then

Bullshit, anime comes from japan

I think it's pretty obvious that if you're running a generic system without a setting in mind you're in for trouble. Who does that?

No it doesn't, most of what would call anime comes from Korea or China

the same could be said about nearly any game system that does not restrict itself to a single time-period genre (sci-fi/fantasy/urban-fantasy, etc), or setting that is unique to that setting?

I mean, look at GURPs, GURPs objectively falls into the idea that it's a superhero system (maybe not low quality but that's an opinion thing rather than an objective thing), every single thing that's ever had rules made for it in gurps could be found in either DC or Marvel's main continuities.

Not entirely true. And even if it were, the screenwriters, directors, and producers of anime are all Japanese so you are wrong anyways.

I think Valor does a pretty decent job.

OVA is pretty decent but you have to be very specific how the game is going to go and it's themes. If you let players do whatever they like, it'll get stupidly out of hand. Someone will build a murderhobo with all his abilities focused on combat specific abilities and so long as he keeps it within the +5/-5 Level...

OVA can run with everyone only using/getting 2 abilities or two dozen.

If you think about pathfinder or D&D they have that feel too. compared to the layman in the fantasy universe they inhabit player characters might as well be superheroes.

Double Cross?

Tenra Bansho Zero is strongly jidaigeki but they have guidelines for making other settings.

Not them, but I'd really like to know how it tries to attempt anime emulation in an OSR based framework.

Poorly. It's more or less just The Black Hack with thematically appropriate classes (Magical Girl/Boy, Mecha Jokey, Ninja, Robot, "Trenchcoat Samurai", Monster Trainer, Cat Girl/Boy and Wunderkind) and a pair of extremely minor extra rules called "Popping Vein Points" and "Genki Points" which allow you to get an advantage/instantly recover from being knocked out by abusing the fourth wall (e.g. turning into a chibi for a moment).

>BESM
mmm i think the tristat system have some good ideas, but idk never tried it

I figured as much. What a weird hack idea.

well they're period pieces so don't fit -quite- as well into the super heroes trope. But any generalist system inevitably is a super-hero thing at it's core.