What system to run Harry Potter? Not in the school, but as adults doing wizard stuff. I assume you'd want rules light...

What system to run Harry Potter? Not in the school, but as adults doing wizard stuff. I assume you'd want rules light, right?

I'd hack Gumshoe to be honest, 80% of Harry Potter is running about looking for clues as to what's fuging things up this year. I'd run it episodic with the over arching meta-plot touching each little mystery/adventure.

You get skill points from the classes and allocate to show aptitude/diligence/ability to pay attention then you get to going into more specific stuff as you take your electives in later years. I'll probably put more thought into this what I actually get round to running it.

Fate or my personal favourite narrative system NGS. Assign spells or hell even entire genres (divination, potions, charms, etc) as aspects, as well as other everyday aspects.

Apocalypse world

You could try GURPS, but why would you want to roleplay as a character of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises? Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though r-right
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Fate is for another wizard named Harry.

you fucking new?

>Ars Magica

hands down

>hermetic mysticism
>different houses
>casting system based on latin

its literary harry potter but for adults and i bet my ass off that bitch found an old rulebook somewhere, rolled through it and ripped it off

forgot picture because im a faggot apparently

Is this a Veeky Forums pasta?

This feels like a Veeky Forums pasta.

Sounds like a pasta based on a movie review.

I don't know why would anyone want to play a Harry Potter game. If you are the GM and are forcing your players into this, please kys

user there is 149 other threads you can click on and be productive and happy in, please kys.

hey bloomberg
this is not the board for you

>OP says rules lite
>suggests GURPS
For someone who cares so much about literature you sure suck at reading.

It's an old pasta.

I don't recall any of the adult wizards doing anything particularly RPG worthy in the Harry Potter books.

>Roll to file your wizard taxes, target number 12
>Your wizard boss is coming to your cubicle to discuss errors made in filing the chocolate frog account
>Go home to your witch of a witch wife and your dumb kids who didn't get accepted to Hogwarts and have to attend Public School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where they have to share their cauldrons and there are 40+ students to a teacher
>Every night you stare at your wand and think about crucio'ing yourself

You could have a noir kind of detective story rather easily, chasing a rogue wizard/witch while trying to remain undercover.

the only rules you need are write down what all the spells do, and then thats the only mechanics. otherwise spells just do X and let players do whatever they want.

I don't think there are public schools in the wizarding worls

So you kids would be home schooled

>dumb kids who didn't get accepted to Hogwarts
Pretty sure the standard is literally "If you can do magic, you get in".

Weak, dude.
Good picture to troll the neophytes with, though.

Aren't there magical schools all over the world? At the very least there are two others in France and Russia. You can apply to more than one if Hogwarts won't accept you.

Witch Girls Adventures with the optional rules in the back for playing adults.

>Gatsby in God Tier
>Hundreds years of Solitude not in Shit Tier
>Grapes of Wrath and Brave New World not in High Tier

I'll agree with Monte Cristo, Invisible man and everything you put in Shit Tier, but what kind of shitty taste is going on with your upper tiers?

>gatsby in god tier when it isnt even the best F Scott book

They probably havnt even read tender is the night

>en train de lire Les Miserables en anglais

J'espère vraiment que vous ne faites pas cela.

>grapes of wrath is mid tier and east of eden isnt even on the list
>catch 22 is low tear, as is hamlet, and brave new world
>tolkien on shit
>to kill a mockingbird on shit
>alice in wonderland on shit
>huck finn on shit

Did the person who made this REALLY hate american and british literature? I mean they put up hemmingway, wilde, and faulkner but this seems strange.

>L'etranger on god tier
This is correct, BUT WHY DID THEY TRANSLATE THE TITLE.
I know this entire post probably labels me as autistic, but god that picture really gets me.

It's a Veeky Forums copypasta that is reposted every time there's a Harry Potter thread. I don't know if it's different people reposting it to keep the meme alive or if it's the same infamous shitposter reposting it every thread. It also always has the same pic posted with it, which is meant to draw in even more (you)'s than the copypasta.

Somehow the copypasta is so effective that if Veeky Forums hasn't already started shitting on Harry Potter to feel intellectually superior than they will immediately turn into retarded shitposters who circlejerk the copypasta as if they've never seen it before.

Actually, I don't think Ars would work all that well.
Reason being, one of the big points of Ars is the creation of spontaneous spells, which isn't really a thing in HP, which is mostly 'say the correct pseudo-Latin phrase to make something work'.