Veeky Forums builds 9 fantasy armies 2: We did it?

Oh shit looks like Veeky Forums got through the fun part of a project. Now for the not so fun part. Come in a shitpost about Bionicle and Charles II, discuss game mechanics and LORE, and try and figure out how a levy of spainish pikeman could take on a howitzer

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/52139661/
youtube.com/watch?v=AkR3oyo3xxQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

boy oh boy I wish I could post a microsoft word document to Veeky Forums. Wouldn't that be nice? So that others could edit it? You can all thank our japanese step-dad for that one. And our real dad I guess

link to old thread so freshanons know what they hell's going on

A howitzer isn't effective without anyone to man it.
How the hell do we balance JoJo and Jesus?

Russo-Spainish alliance finished. Sorry user who posted the wombat/eagle hero, your picture caused microsoft word to crash thrice. Find a wombat picture that's not possessed

It is only now that I recognize the monumental task before us

I'd appreciate if we tried to build nine actual fantasy armies instead of randomly generating them.

We change that Jesus into South Park Jesus.
It is the only way to balance this.

At the very least we should weed out the wtf entries and maybe use the remaining entries as inspiration for the actual factions

Jesus doesn't have any amazing powers in his avatar form. He's a supply miracle, but not very useful in combat (which he won't even take part in).

I'm afraid that would leave us with much fewer than 9 armies. At this point it'd make more sense to start from the ground up with a clear objective in mind.

Now with Undying Rome

I'd be willing to have another go at this with a clear objective in mind and maybe a setting that doesn't include Homiez. I could also stand to keep doctoring up this PDF with such enduring characters as "Smug Loli Healers" and "Black Goku Cosplayer"

The randomness led to some pretty interesting army themes. One user did a pretty good job of at least attempting faction lore, and we got some gems. Techno Transylvania, Undying Rome etc

Team 3 Techno Transylvania

You left out King Vlad the Rad.

Good catch, also caught somone i'd missed for team 1. Now with team 4 Neo Zeon Frontier. The further I get into this the less these teams make any fucking sense. It would take an imaginative master to take these pictures and fashion them into anything cohesive

You got two options, either play it completely straight, Jesus and Jojo included, or take everything ridiculous and make a fantasy analogue to it. Whether that means keeping tanks and jets or turning them into steamshit or animal/metal hybrids is whatever

bump

So how are the rest coming along?

I was waiting to see if there was any interest, lemme see if I can't get another team going

Personally, i think this world is a fucked up version of europe
Some mage messed around with the fabric of space and time, which resulted in this world
A world were undead romans fight musket men led by napoleon on a motercycle
A world were panzer tanks are supported by mariach
A world were the sweds and fins allied with the arabs and demonic hordes

A good number of the armies have people in them that can fuck with time like it's a toy, so I'd be willing to accept that.

We're basically just making a "His Dark Materials" strategy game

Team 5 aka The Armies of Hell and Sweden

Team 6, who have absolutely no airsupport nor armor, but have a messianic super warrior that probably carries the team. Gonna take a break, if there's some more interest I'll start on 7

>literally jesus
Probably nerfed into a realtivly powerful demigod

Not too nerfed I hope. I kind of like the idea of a team that hinges entirely on one unit. Makes it play uniquely from the other armies

So an army of weak melee only units, lead by a primarch tier uber unit in a game of mostly slightly above guardsmen units?

Don't forget Team 6 has battle droids courtesy of > which honestly they sort of need as otherwise it's just Jesus, Slav Satan, and a bunch of pre-modern chumps.

team 7 with battledroid additions

You missed for team 7.

Huh. America and Sweden in articular seem to be divided among several lines; in fact, at least half the armies have one American unit or another, with WWII yanks being the only chunk to have made it in one piece. Curiously, the same is for the Tsarist Russians, who have managed to land squarely into the Russo-Spanish Alliance entirely intact. Less fortunate is Rome who finds itself divided among both Army #2 and Army #8.

The variety in technology seems pretty steep, yet luckily not insurmountable. I know that the final product probably won't use 40k's system, but what are the conversions between Empire Footsoldiers (who would make a good statline for the majority of the line infantry we're seeing) into 40k metric? Using the Angry Marines' MEQ as a baseline, we can figure out how killy or foddery everything else is in relation to them.

I can help with unit tactics regarding historical units.The Arditi, for example, would not be used as an elite infantry unit rather than appearances would suggest. They would more likely be used as a shock unit, something to start a rout when used at the opportune time. The farina armor is not effective protecting against a machine gun, or a rifle, but against something with a lower muzzle velocity like a pistol or an arquebus or a non-black powder musket. The armor could also give them an edge in melee. Another note is that the Arditi can have a pretty tough morale. Their motto was "O la vittoria, o tutti accoppati" (translated as "either we win, or we all die"), and they stuck true to that motto on a few occasions. The balance that probably wouldn't make them too OP is that the Aditi are more focused on close combat, they were hand-picked (otherwise drafted by their officers) as the bravest of the bunch, willing to get into the trenches with hand grenades and bayonets. This means that they are generally wasted at range. Sure, they can shoot - but they are not Arditi over their marks at the range.

Pic related, a sketch of an Austro-Hungarian trench in the middle of an Arditi attack.

FunFact: Arditi translates to "daring ones."

Adding in my two bits, the Caroleans assigned to Army #1 appear to be an infantry regiment from the pre-lug, pre-rifling era, which means that their compoistion is roughly as follows:

-1,200 men a regiment
-600 men a battalion
-150 men a company
-Roughly 800 Musketeers armed with flintlocke muskets and rapiers
-Roughly 400 Pikemen
-12 grenadiers subtracted from the above two numbers (often attached to the flanks of the musketeers), armed with grenades and muskets /w plug bayonets.
-Varying amounts of priests for morale support

Caroleans are unarmoured, which makes their forces including pikemen highly mobile, but also means that they're more vulnerable to arrowfire and artillery than their less-advanced Spanish and Russian cohorts. Nevertheless, while clearly at home firing from a range, they're certainly not helpess when it comes fending a melee: their bravery and discipline allows them to hold the line against cavalry such as the Cossacks of which they forced into a retreat duriung the Battle of Poltava, and all Caroleans carry a melee weapon, though given that their firearms are on the higher end of #1's infantry. To minimise the chance of them getting hit, it's probably best to deploy them in the front after the Arditi but ahead of the Tercio, which can use its armour to soak up arrowfire while giving the Caroleans room to maneuver, or perhaps back of the line where grenadiers can fend off an attempted flanking?

Being a very religious group, Caroleans are chivalrous: attempting to steal from allies is harshly punished, and looting is considered a dire last resort that is to be conducted only if the alternative is starvation: killing civilians is a no-no, as is raping and pillaging obviously. Though they have no difficulty fighting fellow Christian forces if ordered, I can't think they'd be able to comprehend fighting the Holy Howlan Confederacy which is literally led by Jesus, but seeing Swedish regulars fight for Aku would probably enrage them.

Meant to say Cossacks of Hetmanate. My, it must be somewhat ironic that they're fighting on the Russian side when it was Russia that basically forced them to disband.

One thing it should be noted is that a Carolean regiment was never meant to fight unsupported: an infantry regiment would be suplimented by a Carolean cavalry and artillery regiment, with the artillery working to soften up the front so the infantry aren't marching into a storm of lead, the Caroleans prefering to get close to the target to ensure their muskets can actually hit. As Army #1 lacks both of these components barring using the Tiger II's as ad-hoc artillery, it's going to obviously effect how they're to be deployed: probably better to send them on the offense against less advanced melee infantry where their muskets give them a decisive advantage, and minimize exposure to opposing infantry of their own or more advanced eras as they're considerably less replacable than the less elite Tercio or Rus spearmen.

Of course, depending on points cost, it might be better to simply send Russian armour or panzers at whatever the poor sap on the other side is fielding and use the Caroleans to hold the resulting ground, their mobility and discipline being major assets in such a scenario.

Lets break down #1's composition to see what we've got:

>Heroes:
-Colonel Ivan's Heroic 11th Panzer Battalion (Tiger II, Heavy Equipment)
-The Vambeast (Monsterous Creature)
>Infantry:
-Spanish Rodeleros (Not Tercios, note the bucklers)
-Russian Strelelets
-Swedish Caroleans
-Italian Arditi
-Japanese Bushi (Armed with Naginata)
-American Longswordsmen
-Fairy Riflefairies (Appear to be armed with M1 Garands?)
>Cavalry:
-Crimean Khans
>Support:
-Spanish Mariachis
-Tomb King Liche Priests+Tomb King(?)
-Unknown Angelic Creature (What's this guy again?)
-Trio of Glowy Dudes (?)
-Androgynous banner holder (?)
>Monsterous Creatures:
-Mother Spider+spiderlings
-Imps led by Daemon Contractor
-Bohroks
>Heavy Equipment:
-Crimean Khanate Combine Walkers
-Russian Tsar Tanks

Also it should be noted that while technically not cavalry under the strictest definition, Bohroks can easily fulfil a similar role crashing into their foes in a rolling charge, and the mechs do in fact come with some Khans to act as traditional cav in case you can't run mechanized cavalry.

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/52139661/

Last thread archived for future generations!

There's always Google Docs?

Could have sworn that Veeky Forums gets upset when it comes to linking Google Docs

Perfect.

Awesome man, appreciate your breakdown. Everytime I think this setting is too much I'm reminded of an element that makes it worth it.

Someone mentioned 40k's system, which although I've never tried, does balance melee and ranged pretty well as I understand. And this is definitely a game of ranged and melee. Looking forward to the other team breakdowns

I know it's not really being played by anyone, but Vortex as a point-buy strategy game seems like it would fit these forces. The little fluff there is has a lot of Franken-armies. It's also balanced fairly well as long as nobody summons more units.
- Melee and ranged combat both work
- Has various kinds of fliers and terrain interactions

What happened to eight and nine?

He's taking a break, Mr 3000.

Teams 8 and 9
You'll notice in order to get under the 8000 byte I had to cut a bunch of photos. Such notable characters that didn't make the cut include
>Black Goku
>The Homiez
>Billy Mays
>Bevis and Butthead
>Another latino gang maybe? I don't remember
>Arts and Crafts Robots
>The Entirety of the 0 Faction
>The Marachi Band

I regret that these enduring unit choices were too many bytes for the doc. If you are a technical wizard and know in your heart these units need to be included, I'll leave the PDF manipulations in your capable hands.

Some of these teams are pretty badass

>the marachi band

B-but they gave the army a morale advantage!

youtube.com/watch?v=AkR3oyo3xxQ

>Revived napoleon is so inspiring that everyone in his nation is a volunteevoluntiar
>Even fucking dinosaurs

>He's fighting Caesar for muh legions

I would imagine the new french republic is probably based around a horde style ranged army, with dinosaur and motorcycle calvery and options to pick commanders that give everyone massive moral buffs

A lot of these armies seem to be prone to leadership squabbles.
Aku and The Pillar Men are obviously going to argue over who gets to be in charge, for example. Maybe that should be a factor.

That's probably why they haven't raped everyone yet

The important part is that I can spam the dinosaur calvary like the Corsican bastard I am

What is this? Veeky Forums, what have you done?!

Someone needs to write up and army list for this.

*Not me*

Think the best way to tackle it is one army at a time, one component at a time with the final overview going into depth how each army's unit pool interact with one another.

Also, I just noticed the Ultra-Smurfs are under King Chin's command.

How King Chin was brought about into this world.

Not all of the Smurfs.
Just CATO SICARIUS.
I think.

Someone mentioned 40k mechanics and another user said vortex. But yeah for now we could just go unit by unit

Given the wide variance in sub MEQs versus maybe two, three armies who have them if you're generous, I think whatever system we're using should have the fact the SMs are top-tier infantry in mind, with the average being somewhere lower on the scale?

That's not a family tree, that's a family triangle!

In spite if generally being disabled due to his genetic degradation, Charles II was noted to be something of a marksman, shooting at the range being his favourite sport. Don't underestimate the babbling king!

Offer of mechanics:

Four stats:

POWER. Damage stat.
DEFENSE: Defense stat.
WEIRD: Magic stat.
LOYALTY: Morale stat.

You may notice that there is no accuracy stat. That is because the defender rolls Defense versus a flat TN of something I haven't determined.

Weird is for magical "success/failure."

After that, units have TRAITS and EQUIPMENT. They get three picks total between these two things.

So you can load up on traits or load up on equipment, but not both.

Really expensive units might have inherent Traits or super-good Equipment they start with.

Also, I'm thinking d6s, because d6s are a great thing. Dice Pool mechanic? Maybe per stat point is how many dice you roll?

I would add
RANGE: How far you shoot, and
SPEED: How fast you move.
Maybe also have two POWER values for certain units, so a unit with high RANGE would have high POWER at range but be nearly helpless if someone manages to close to melee.

Range strikes me as something Equipment gives, not a unit-based thing.

Speed I'll back tho.

>army of darkness
>royal canadian mounted police
lost my shit

Right, for starters, lets see what a Space Marine might come up with, and contrast that with a Rus Strelelet as a crude range of infantry strengths. Are we going to be giving vehicles some sort of hull points system?

I'll assume a usual range of 1-6 for stats, with anything higher being the domain of unique or heroic units.
Space Marine:
POWER: 4
DEFENSE: 4
WEIRD: 1
LOYALTY: 8
SPEED: 2
RANGE?: 3
Special Rules: Know No Fear (Bonus to Loyalty)
For reference, I'm thinking POW and DEF both are on par with a tank unit, although a tank would have greater SPE.

Rus Strelet (not sure what specific unit you're referring to, so this is generic feudal infantry):
POWER: 1
DEFENCE: 2
WEIRD: 1
LOYALTY: 3
SPEED: 1
Special Rules: None.

As for vehicle hull points... I'd abstract that to DEFENCE. Maybe have an additional NUMBERS stat, functioning as HP?

Well, I think we should give the vehicles something to set them apart from infantry since on a theoretical game board they'd be the hardest to conceal making them natural fire magnets, alongside monstrous creatures like the Kaiju.

Maybe, but I'm not a game designer and I don't know the best way to implement such a thing.