So what other games besides gurps do point buy right?

So what other games besides gurps do point buy right?

M&M

Isn't M&M easily broken?

To the same degree as any power building system, including GURPS.

> Toxic Attack 1 point (Affects Insubstantial, +20%; Area Effect, 9903520314283042199192993792 yards (about 296 gigaparsecs), +4650%; Cosmic, Irresistible attack, +300%; Emanation, -20%; Rapid Fire, RoF 300, +300%; Selective Area, +20%; Underwater, +20%, Timespanning +100%, Worldspanning +100%) [56]

>GURPS
>doing anything right

I wish people would stop with this meme. GURPS is such an terrible, awkward system, even if you do have a GM who's devoted their life to avoiding the endless pitfalls of that broken mess.

Hero.

care to specify what is wrong with gurps or link me to a.. link that says why?

What is a better option then?

Doesn't it cost fatigue or something to activate?

Risus

Savage Worlds

Risus depends to much in luck and bennies for my taste

Savage worlds*

Hero.

>GURPS is such an terrible, awkward system

I wish people would stop with this meme.

You can't take emanation and rapid fire at the same time. :^)

Innate attacks don't cost anything by default and don't require anything but a single roll. Costing 1 fatigue point is a -5% modifier.

Either you've never played GURPS properly, don't understand it, or are just confusing your personal taste in systems (in which its quite reasonable to dislike the game) with the system being actually bad.

Gurps is a meme, stop falling for all of it

Okay lets ignore gurps then and talk about other systems

Depends on what you want to do.

i want gonzo fantasy

World of darnkess, but my players are lazy anyway so i stick to easy games like dnd

I'm not him, and I'm not of the opinion that Gurps is complete garbage or anything, but I understand the dislike of it. I think some of that does indeed come from first impressions. You get that book and look it over and it seems like a massive cluster of bullshit with millions of little perks and shit. And you look at the provided character sheets and they have like 40 skills and perks each. It's easy to think "Fuck keeping track of all that shit" and write the game off as a mess.

Now, once you actually get stuff down its clear you don't need that many skills, you can cut it down to what you need, and perks aren't so bad if players track them. But the combat system, even the "Simple" version is fairly clunky when you get any real number of combatants on the field, and once you understand how it actually works, you start to wonder to yourself "Why don't I just steal the 3d6 set up and home brew the rest of this stuff?"

Which is exactly what I did; because the system was too big and simulationist for my needs.

yeah i finally dicided to give it a third go, i think i am going to take what i like and leave

I think the first thing that makes it harded to like is that you start to see .5x,.2x, and 5.12434 in all parts

3rd is better about it than second.

Also using the optional fatigue rules help, because it means you can't just spam your 40bp attacks every round.

Oh, also tell your players they can't apply alternate power feats with anything with less than concentration duration.

>Why don't I just steal the 3d6 set up and home brew the rest of this stuff
So.... dungeon world then?
Or more rules-light like kingdom of ooo?

I was gonna say...

Risus does have a mechanic called "Lucky Shots" but they are one-shot extra dice, nothing fancy.

> optional fatigue rules
New to M&M, do you know offhand what page or book details these rules?

Ok, but what do you want to do mechanically? Because there's tons of existing fantasy systems you can just reskin. And you can easily turn a system into point buy with a bit of modification.

So is there something special you want the system to do that some generic fantasy system won't do?

Something like: i want to be a vampire
buy vampire perk
I want to be good at swords
buy swords perk
I want to have some kind of claws
buy claws perk

etc...

Well, you're gonna hafta make that game yerself, then - can't say I'm familiar with such a beast off-hand.....
If you build it, share it!

The simple version is actually worse. GURPS combat itself flows really smoothly only with the big 'if' of your DM bothering to memorize everything. Which is, while not impossible or Herculean, not something you can do quickly or easily. Cutting things out of it for the lite, or ultra-lite versions just makes it easier to learn, but it chugs along now. My group really loves it because it's quick and brutal, but that's because they only have to take a single action on their turn and in my head I do everything else, which if not for my near wrote memorization would take a hell of a lot more time.

The wound modifiers aren't hard at all. You subtract the DR from the raw damage, then apply the modifier. Unarmed combat is what made me want to quit, and it actually did, I only came back to it later after realizing the payoff may be worth it.

Maybe? I'm not that big a fan of the mechanics of dungeon world honestly. Really I just did a roll under system with simple combat that I treat like any normal opposed roll. You roll weapon skill, they roll dodge or cover, depending on need, and highest wins and either deals damage or doesn't.

It's simple, but I don't need in depth combat simulation for my purposes.

If you want to equate points to dice though, Risus is a pretty good point buy system.

>which if not for my near wrote memorization would take a hell of a lot more time

Thats essentially the issue. The system might be great if you just have absolutely everything memorized but there's a lot of stuff in the system, lots of numbers and modifiers and shit to mess with. And most people cannot be arsed to memorize it all. Some sort of Automated gurps would probably very well received.

Ok, do you want it to have fairly simple combat or more complex?

In 2e it's in the dmg equivalent.
No idea about 3rd, I don't have the books on hand

Only game I've ever seen to have a mixed roll and point buy system that worked awesomely.

Kingdom of Ooo, is my thoughts.
Though it's less buy and more "I am ___, but ____."

What do you mean a "mixed" system?

Probably rolled for stats but bought abilities.

Rolled 9, 6 = 15 (2d10)

At character creation, you roll 2d10. You get a score, which tells you both how many points you get overall, and what the maximum you can put into any one stat is. As one goes up, the other goes down. For a sample, I'll try rolling now.

So, with a 15, I have 94 points overall to split among

>Physical Strength
>Manual Dexterity
>Agility
>Magical Aptitude
>Endurance
>Willpower.

(you do have other stats, but you don't buy those with the initial pointbuy stuff) I can put no more than 21 into any one attribute, and I can only have one atribute that high; and I can only have 2 that go up to 20. For a standard of comparison, a bog standard human has a 15 in all primary stats except Magical Aptitude, which is 5. This character is probably more suited to be a sort of generalist, with reasonably strong abilities across the board and a minor magic use, maybe in illusions or some college that supplements other activities rather than is a full on replacement for them.

But like in my current game, I rolled really low for that initial toss, and got a guy with 82 points to distribute, but a max of 25. I gave him a huge magical aptitude and willpower, and everything else was pretty shit. He was so physically weak he was practically disabled and couldn't effectively even learn to use a weapon heavier than a tiny handaxe.

Do you have an example for both cases?

Is Dragon Quest rpg good?

Song of Swords has a two-stage point buy that works pretty well. First the player allocates points among categories such as "Skills", "Stats", "Class", "Race" and then use those investments to determine how many points they have to spend inside each category. It's set up so that you can't just dump everything into "STAB THING GOOD" like a conventional point buy, so everybody gets to have some quirks and skills.

There is a mexican or spanish i dont remember, adventure time rpg it is quite complete

Pic related have this powers:
Magic Hat:you can take the items you need from it
Transformation:Transforming other people into objects
Invisible: you know
Courage: you are courageous
Fly

i need your answer man

>Some sort of Automated gurps would probably very well received

A Turn Based Tactics RPG based off the system would be pretty fucking choice. It's depth is unmatched, but it took me a year to get to the point I felt comfortable actually running the system because of the amount of knowledge I had to have to keep the game running smoothly. Now that I have, I feel like I've reached the promised land, but fuck me was it punishment getting here. Even if you're willing to put in the time, there is no guarantee the system will click with you either. A game gets rid of all that.

The RPG itself is a pretty respectable niche I feel.

I like how FFG Star wars does stats. Each race has a starting base statline, but you can use starting exp, also based on race, to raise stats or buy more starting skills.

D6 System in general is good at this

Well, basically I'm asking how you want the fighting to be handled in the game? Do you want the combat to be handled like you might handle climbing a wall? Ie where fights are just obstacles to overcome and are treated as part of the narrative than any sort of system. Or do you want something with a hex map where you take into account the reach of your pole arm, your weight and the momentum of your horse when striking? Or do you want something in the middle, where there's mechanics specifically for fighting but they're not aiming at some kind of simulation of actual fighting.

That sword skill you were talking about makes me think its gonna be one of the two latter choices. If you want really simulationist shit, look into modifying riddle of steel or something similar. I dunno if it uses point buy but you could easily modify anything that does random rolls to be point buy instead.

If you want something middle of the road, then consider just having combat work via opposed rolls. Ie, roll that Sword skill vs the opponent block skill and the winner gets the better outcome. You can insert some variety in terms of weapons and perks to actions in one of those kinds of systems and it won't become too complex.

Well i think i will be designing a new game, using 3d6 roll under