Heroclix

Anyone here play Heroclix? I've never seen this game mentioned on Veeky Forums. Is HCRealms the only website for this in existence other than prostuff?

Other urls found in this thread:

wizkids.com/heroclix/gameplay/rules-format/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Those models look hideous.

you should have seen some of the mage knight shit.

I love Heroclix but I don't get to play it much.

You should have seen the original hc models.

Played both Heroclix and Mage Knight back in the early 2000s when I was a kid. The models were cheap/kinda ugly but I thought it was a great miniatures game for a casual, relatively inexpensive player.

Warhammer (and 40k) always had high barriers of entry: cost and rule density mainly. I love the 40k lore and models but if you just want a casual game to play with friends for a few hours, it's not you game.

That's what Heroclix was to me and I miss playing it. Unfortunately, I've long since sold off all my collection and now there's an overwhelming amount of models so it's a bit daunting.

Well, I hope I never play WH40k, because I started a few months ago and I feel fucking retarded playing this game. I play it once a week at my local shop, but I still don't remember most of the powers and usually lose from not understanding the map.

Meanwhile I get games like Magic and YGO fine, and every RPG ever. What's the secret? Am I just too stupid to play miniature games other than Heroclix?

>What's the secret?

Being an autistic neckbeard and playing a shit load of Heroclix. Seriously, even back when I played I still had to have the "Powers" card in front of me to reference.

Don't play with those virgin dickholes at your game shop if they're giving you a hard time. Buy a case of beer and invite some buddies over if that's more your speed (like it is was for me).

Oh, the people I play with are super nice. Not like the Magic crowd there or anything. They've given me a ton of free figures, help me all the time and stuff. I'm just still terrible at it. You can't really wing wins in this kind of game

have you tried looking up team/build lists online and watching battle reports on youtube?

maybe that way you could go in with a set strategy and be a more "offensive" player, as opposed to letting things happen and reacting to them.

As for map advice, I dunno what to tell you as there are a ton of different map...but movement is really important. Not only around the board, but vertically as well. So elevation with flying characters was a big strategic sticking point when I played (15 years ago).

Hmmm, no I guess I didn't try youtube, might as well, thanks user

Heroclix comes mostly down to movement. You need to figure out if you're going to strike the first blow or take it, and plan ahead.

You should play at 300 points to get the hang of it, the old bizarro world map from the superman set is great to practice movement

What kind of team do you usually play ?

Rogues from a Fast Forces set, they're all usually 5 clicks so if they take a hit they die or are close to it.

I played it like 15 years ago or something, around when it first came out. It was ok, but much I preferred the company's other game MageKnight or something I think. My FLGS had tournaments for it all the time back then.

They also had a dungeon crawler game that looked interesting but never played it. As far as I can tell only heroclix is still going and it's basically dead in my area anyway

Errr, They're not super mobile but I assume you're running captain cold & mirror master. They go pretty well together, you can protect yourself pretty well if you make good use of barrier + mirror master's carry ability.

Maybe something like
Mirror master
Weather Wizard
Heat Wave
Captain Cold

You should use an interior map with plenty of walls, you have pulse wave, telekinesis and pretty good movement. Don't underestimate outwit and barrier and be on the lookout for good opportunities to sidestep. Remember that you can force blast fools into the wall as well

If you stick close together you should be able to take a punch pretty well with 4+ super senses, and with 4 guys that can fight you can outmanoeuvre people in close quarters

It's pretty hard to teach HC on the internets, what do you opponents usually play ?

any advice on a Starter Set for a returning player? not looking to play out, just at home with wife/friends.

also...does this mean we can get a regular Heroclix general thread going???

Depends, what comics do you like ?

We like Batman (DC) and X-Men (Marvel) the most.

Also been intrigued by HorrorClix, but I dunno if that runs the same system.

Horrorclix is different, and pretty hard to find. You should get the CUR (common uncommon rare) set from the Ultimate X-men set, it's amazing for it's price and gives you a lot of possibilities.

Batman has been pretty shit lately, there's the joker set but it flopped pretty hard. maybe get the last fast forces but it's not that great. I'd say pick and choose what looks best to you from the various older sets, I could give you a list if you have some characters in mind.

My opponents play anything...nothing specific, I just always lose from various things. I have a lot of trouble against giant heavy hitters ala doomsday and what not.
Also instead of Weather Wizard I use Pied Piper, use his wildcard team ability to copy suicide squad off Captain Cold, then the rats he makes suicide and my teammates heal. That by itself is a ridiculous strategy, but wastes lots of actions a turn. Maybe I'll just try Weather Wizard to 'keep it simple.'

All of the latest fast forces have been pretty good, but I'd reccomend you the trinity war crime syndicate fast forces or the original avengers one if you want to build two teams to play with from the same fast forces.

Later fast forces have lower costed figures and you might not get two 300 point teams from them, but if you don't mind, the all new xmen fast forces has a pretty sought after figure and is decent, but every fig is 50 points. The world finest fast forces is good too, you have different point costs so you can play either only batman and superman or build a team with more characters if you play their lower cost.

Movie starters are usually more expensive. The problem with fast forces and most of the later starters is that they don't come with rules or maps, so you have to ask your lgs if they sell maps. They'll either offer you the maps they usually offer as prize in release events and tournaments, or the premium neoprene maps that cost like 25 dollars.

Well wizard has TK, and the team is not mobile at all, plus suicide squad is a pretty bad TA. Pulse wave is your ace in the hole against heavy hitters and telekinesis is the best way to line it up

It's more that 40K is a terribly designed game. Other miniatures games, including ones made by the same company, are just much better options.

When i batch paint large units on not extremely detailed models as fast as i can, they still look ten times better than these garbage models.

who would play a game with minis this ugly?

I have to agree with you there. It is what kept me away from the game, and it doesn't help that the figures are still expensive. I would only ever see it being popular to complete casuals who don't care about the look.

Maybe I should play a different team then? I got a bunch of commons/uncommons from Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, and Civil War. I also got some stuff from TMNT2, including Armaggon, who seems pretty good but I always get destroyed. Also got the Earth-2 Fast Forces set from SM/WW, but damn those are some bizarre point costs. The shop group usually plays 300 points Modern Age though, so I should be alright.

I like superheroes and like said it does appeal to casuals. Only the chase rares are well-crafted(usually).

I also hate painting minis and the like, which is why the only other mini game I ever played was HeroScape before this.

They are painted in chinese factories with an ever decreasing quality control. Last set has reports of way more miniatures broken than usual. Some sets have horrible paint jobs, other sets have really boring sculpts and they reuse the same sculpt for different characters in the same set.

You should always keep at least an outwit user in your team, having perplex and probability control really helps too. Penetrating damage is a must have against bricks, and your main attacker should have some kind of move and attack ability so he can make the first attack.

Does this game use terrain of some sort?

Same people who feel that gameplay > graphics.

I don't really care what my Monopoly pieces look like, they all move around the board just fine.

You should try x-men, they're really good. Something like Storm, Sunfire, Magneto and Emma Frost from the uxm set maybe ?

You've got 2 flyers, a good pulse wave, magneto can TK or fight and the 50 point storm is bonkers. Maybe with the Gold ATA.

No, pre-printed maps.

>You should always keep at least an outwit user in your team, having perplex and probability control really helps too. Penetrating damage is a must have against bricks, and your main attacker should have some kind of move and attack ability so he can make the first attack.

I prefer PW to P/PB but otherwise spot on

>I could give you a list if you have some characters in mind

That would be awesome!
Wife and I grew up on Batman: TAS and Beyond so characters from that would be great:

> Bats/Terry McGinnis
> Clayface
> Killer Croc
> Harley
> Joker
> Riddler
> Freeze
> Inque
> Spellbinder
> Shriek
> Blight

As for Marvel, we love X-men (usual cast of characters) but other random heroes too:

> Silver Surfer
> Deadpool (huge for wife)
> Daredevil
> Spidey

Not so big on the Avengers movie characters, unfortunately.

I would say

AvX #04 Spider man
Deadpool #15 daredevil
Galactic Guardians #36 Silver surfer (he's pretty underwhelming though)
Wait for deadpool as it's the next set coming out

I would say Fast Forces : Batman and its greatest foes for the batman stuff plus

Joker's wild #47 Croc

The only batman beyond is (as far as I know)
Arkham Asylum #16

I would also suggest :
Batman #01 Batman, at 200 pts he can go toe to toe against multiple foes (and he's super cheap)

thanks man! I'll definitely check these out and then see what I can do about a map/rule book.

You can find the latest rulebook and other useful stuff like the power chart here: wizkids.com/heroclix/gameplay/rules-format/

They are finally updating the rulebook and it might come out updated this year, but most probably it will also be availiable for free in that webpage.

lol this

more appealing than 40k at least

too bad it's a dead game, it seems like it would be fun for kids to play at school (though it'd likely be banned)

HCRealms is filled with parents who play this game because they can afford it, they like comics and they play it with their kids.

The competitive scene is pretty active, but the main problem is that Wizkids has made it more dificult for new players to join the game since they decided to stop including maps and rulebooks in their fast forces. Also players who decide to play their SR/Chase teams against people who are still learning the game and only have ff minis might be to blame too.

Is this the Wizkids thread?
Anyone here plays Dice Masters? what do you think about it? I think I've seen the creator getting recruited by CMON, is this a bad thing? its sounds like one.

There's wizkids threads here? I'm blind, I guess.