Who is the best, most unique BBEG you've ever encountered/created in a campaign?

Who is the best, most unique BBEG you've ever encountered/created in a campaign?

Reality itself
because I have no game

>bbeg

ugh.

Fine then, any villain in general.

>big bad evil guy

You trying to sound like a toddler or something?

One kind of BBEG I've always wanted to make was an "evil emperor" kind of guy, that the PCs only hear about as being the cruelest motherfucker around. All of his allies and generals do horrific things in his name, and revel in that malice. Once the PCs make it through his endless army of twisted minibosses, he's totally lost. He has just been quietly trying to hold the kingdoms together in the face of what he thinks are just normal everyday problems, but LOADS of them. He's stressed, he's overworked, he's sheltered and he's a good man. The PCs can either spare him and let people unite under a cruel banner to do evil to the land, or he can be a martyr and be the last, biggest crack in his own evil empire.

samefag detected

Some people are looking for simple, straight-forward, good guys vs bad guys games, with a clear single villain to fight by the end. Clearly this is not a universal preference, but it is something that some enjoy from time to time. If they enjoy it, who are you to tell them not to?

Villains are cool. "BBEG" sounds retarded though.

This.

Also reminder that "ugh BBEG" is an even shittier meme than the whole "have you tried not playing DnD" one.

I don't think it's all that creative, but my DM was running two games for our group and basically the last BBEG was our party from the other game. Game was all sorts of fucked.

>Players end up joining an adventuring guild of sorts that I had only intended to be like a minor part of the world and had really only intended them to like talk to once for information
>Decide "fuck it, if this is what the players want to do, this is the plot now"
>Make some high-level ponces and put them in charge of the guild. Basically "legendary hero" types.
>Play this shit up 110%. Legendary heroes spend all day partying with nobles and basically making the lower-ranked members of the guild do all the questing and stuff that's "below" them. Try to make these guys posh motherfuckers who are living the life, something for the players to aspire to.
>Make a point that they worked their way up from nothing, like all the guild heads before them, and that this is totally something the players can achieve.

The guild heads also happen to be body-snatchers who are using the guild to train up new "vessels" for when their current ones start to age and degrade. And really it's been the same people running the guild for close to a century now, despite the bodies changing.

My GM once lured me to a game in an abandoned building in Egypt then called the cops. I was arrested and put in prison for 14 years, the GM married by gf after telling her I died in Egypt and the other players backed him up because they hated my level 9 elf bard.

It's time for them to pay.

I dont know if im just retarded or something, but i always thought it was Big Bad End Game, which while usually in reference to a final boss, could also refer to a final game state confrontation... big bad evil guy is dumb.

Now I want to see someone play a modern day character with this backstory as his motivation

t. Runescape poster

Did the GM literally cuckold you in game?

Posting images on an imageboard is bad. Also BBEG ugh.

Basically the plot of The Last Emperor.

why Egypt though?

Bait that's falling out?

A BBEG that used the power of friendship and powers normally used by protagonists.

The party didn't realize they were the badguys all along. Even when they were killing guards and children because "It's what my character would do", they still were offended at being considered villains in the campaign.

I have NEVER seen this used well. It's always some faggot DM think he's WAYYY more clever than he really is and expecting his players to praise him for fucking them over some shitty Shaymalan-tier plot-twist.

A villain who does evil stuff purely for shits and giggles since every GM I played with always wanted to make 'that' villain with super deep complex sympathetic motives.

I don't care for being clever.
I just want to ruin the fun of assholes who bitch and moan for me to GM but then tell me to fuck off after coming up with a setting and story for them to follow instead of a sandbox world where they can kill kings, rape babies, flay puppies to use their skins for condoms they'll never use, and steal without consequence while showing off their perfect OC self insert.
The look on their faces when a friendly paladin they were supposed to befriend in the beginning to help slay a great evil comes after them instead because of their chaotic and malicious deeds against innocents, while he is super charged by 4 elemental spirits like some JRPG hero and accompanied by a group of like minded people, will always be sweet and delicious.

I'm still terrible at villains though. So very terrible.

Or you could just like, find players who aren't shit instead of getting into some petty pissing-contest with them that wastes everyone time. Players are a dime a dozen, and non-murderhobos DO exist out there.

I applaud you. If I was a murderhobo player this would certainly have jarred me, IC'ly and out. "There's consequences to my actions?!"

Too bad they're like Unicorns and IBM computers.

>Wasting your efforts even DMing for garbage players in the first place?

Shit man, what are you doing? I would have booted them out of my game within the first session or two and then found better people.

I don't understand how can people who clearly hate each other get together every week to engage in pointless pissing matches where no one is enjoying themselves

It happens more often than you think. The players all love playing, but can't stand each other.

Sure, it happens all the time... with players. A DM should never be DMing for players he hates though.

For players, finding a good DM is like winning the lottery when you're only allowed to buy one ticket a year.

For a DM, finding good players is like winning the lottery when you're surrounded by stacks of tickets that are essentially free if you take the time to check the numbers on them, so to speak.

People have been complaining about "Big Bad Evil Guy" for years. The early complaints seemed to be mostly about the concept itself, with many people disagreeing that a plot needed a character as a central antagonist.

Now, it seems that some of the complaints are about the language. "Big Bad Evil Guy" was coined to sound corny, and is more of an in-joke than a designation like "Central Antagonist." It's also grown to be somewhat vague, with some people using it as the central antagonist, others using it as the final antagonist, and still others using it as simply any antagonist, which can get confusing when trying to communicate about one of these specific ideas.

As far as the shitstorm, I think that comes in part because it takes very little effort to say "BBEG sounds dumb", which is enough to trigger some people who use that phrase. These people then go to say things like "you need to respect this acronym, it's Veeky Forums's acronym, every true fa/tg/uy uses BBEG exclusively," and that gets even people who had no real interest in the matter upset, because it starts to sound like there's people who are actually actively trying to push BBEG.

BBEG is a meme, and like most memes it doesn't have much of a shelf life. The old joke has faded, and now it seems like people are just finding it weird for people to be so fervent in holding onto it.

Well, considering that Veeky Forums has been using it no problem since Veeky Forums was made a thing, and that it's a perfectly fine term that takes very little effort to write.

Another thing. Notice how no one ever writes "big bad evil guy" fully unless they're complaining about it. It's because only care about the abreviation. Until you get a good acronym for "main antagonist" that is easily identifiable, I'm pretty sure that all the belly-aching will not make people stop using it.

And no, MA isn't a good acronym. Too vague.

bbeg is fine. stop killing a useful thread.

In an Eclipse Phase game I had the players Proxy (boss/manager) be Rokuzawa Chi, In the meta she is into forking and goes by the name Proxy Summa. So I had the scientist faction capture a fork of her and remove some ethics and inhibition and increase its curiosity and then set it loose.
The fork then went on to try and create a supersentient multiplicity of itself which then divided into its own factions and set about trying to achieve the goal in various non-exclusive ways. One tried to contact and absorb an unlimited AGI, another saw the whole experiement as abomidable and was trying to shut it all down, one more was into brainhacking itselves to introduce different personalities for salt and artificial variation. And one sought to integrate a nearby city's worth of people into the hive mind by taking control of the supply of cyberbrains, adding hypermesh inserts into them for added hivemindyness, and then releasing an engineered haemorragic fever on the population to kill meatbodies off and drive people into using synths which happen to have their modifications.

The players proxy was replaced by one of these copies soon after the players stumbled onto one of the plots of one of these Chi factions. And so their proxy summa doesnt hear from them for two weeks while the copy is leading them on and feeding them misinformation. until they check in and see a difference in i-codes.

the campaign was called Endless Summa.

why not?

>These people then go to say things like "you need to respect this acronym, it's Veeky Forums's acronym, every true fa/tg/uy uses BBEG exclusively,"
Nobody says this.
I have seen argued against when nobody has said it, but I have never see it posted.
If it ever was, it's ridiculous enough to be disregarded as humor.

>Well, considering that Veeky Forums has been using it no problem since Veeky Forums was made a thing, and that it's a perfectly fine term that takes very little effort to write.
This.

>Now, it seems that some of the complaints are about the language.
There is one autistic asshole that is genuinely booty bothered that people use a term he doesn't like and has been consistently responded like a jerk to the term for months.
After months of fruitlessly ignoring logic, he finally adopted the approach of campaigning for a different shorthand term, like MV or BBG, I am unaware of any traction that's achieved but it's better than being an asshole.
He has likely at least one other, like-minded user that agrees with him, but that user might not be an asshole.
At this point, Baron BBEG has started so many derailing arguments that trolls started mimicking him, hence the formulaic "ugh".

Polite posts indicating a preference for another term might be sincere.
All forms of disgust at the use of "BBEG" can safely be ignored.

stfu

another non-contributor

>Legendary heroes spend all day partying with nobles and basically making the lower-ranked members of the guild do all the questing and stuff that's "below" them. Try to make these guys posh motherfuckers who are living the life, something for the players to aspire to.
Nice idea.
I can see this working a number of different ways.

It wasn't a BBEG but I pit my players against a T-Rex corpse possessed by an ancient ghost using martial arts and wielding tigers like nunchucks.

>Nobody says this.

People have said this. I didn't realize there was a sole spokesperson for the term, and that happened to be you.

>There is one autistic asshole

You really need to stop pretending that there's not a large amount of people who think your favorite term sounds stupid. And, you really need to stop doing all those other round-a-bout methods of trying to "protect" your favorite term.

"BBEG" sounds dumb, and you're going to sound dumb using it. If you're not fine with that, don't use it, but for your own sake don't even try this weird route of pretending a term coined to sound stupid doesn't sound stupid.

It makes you the worst person in this little debacle.

>I didn't realize there was a sole spokesperson for the term, and that happened to be you.
It is a stupid, redundant, but ultimately serviceable shorthand term, that's it.
I am not a spokesman for the term, I am a spokesman against an asshole who's hatred of a stupid term is unfettered by sanity.
Baron BBEG is an asshole.

There may be more than one person that thinks the term should fall out of use.
There may be a large amount of people that feel that way.
But I guarantee you that no matter how many people on Veeky Forums hate the term, more people hate that asshole and anyone imitating him, sincere or not.

I'm gonna shut up about this now.
Feel free to make one more comment about how I'm in love with "BBEG" or some similar fictional nonsense, then do the decent thing and shut the fuck up.

that acronym has been here for years newfag

stop trying so hard to fit in

I had the party find a tomb with a mummy and his dozens of mummified skelly warriors. they opened the sarcophagus, awoke the mummy and rose the skelly warriors. they had like a few turns to strike down the mummy and dispel his undead servants before they attacked en masse.

but because I was a neophyte babby GM and sucked at balancing, the Mummy was easily struck down, the skellys crumpled into bones, and everybody went "eh"

>ultimately serviceable

But, there's really no reason to use it. "Ultimately serviceable" is like the absolute lowest standard, essentially admitting that it's shit.
>I am a spokesman against an asshole who's hatred of a stupid term is unfettered by sanity.
What's wrong with not liking something deserving of not being liked? It's lame and awkward, and telling people they're insane for not liking it just makes them not like it even more.

>But I guarantee you that no matter how many people on Veeky Forums hate the term, more people hate that asshole and anyone imitating him, sincere or not.

I'd love to see those guaranteed figures, especially because you are still convinced that only one person in the entire world doesn't like your favorite term.
What I can guarantee is that no matter how lame you might think all the people who don't like your favorite expression are, you are several degrees more lame for all the effort you put into your round-about ways of defending it.

But, you're right, there's no point in you continuing your defense.

>deleted
mods why

when someone makes a thread asking how to give their players a political campaign, I will continue to give them that meme and only that meme as a reply.

Because it's appropriate.

>52208658
>you are still convinced that only one person in the entire world doesn't like your favorite term.
>user literally admits there may be multiple supporters in addition to that one faggot, still gets this troll response.

Btw, short shit that gets the job done does not stop it from being shit, but:
Not liking something =/= being a crazy faggot that shitposts off-topic everytime he sees it
One is fine, the other is not.

>Who is the best, most unique BBEG you've ever encountered/created in a campaign?
I've always wanted to run a BBEG that deliciously over the top, like Raul Julia playing a cheesy Dr. Doom with a dash of Kefka.
Sadly the closest I ever got to it ended up being literally Dr. Evil.

I thought you said you'd stop trying to defend your favorite phrase already, but no, here is more of the same "stop disliking what I like."

>ugh "sandwiches"
>Why is everyone so in love with this meme? Meat, vegetables, and/or cheese between slices of bread has nothing to do with sand or witches. Anyone who uses "sandwich" sounds dumb because "sandwich" sounds dumb. We should call them "breadlunches" instead.

This is what you sound like. BBEG is part of the Veeky Forums lexicon and it will always be part of the Veeky Forums lexicon.

Deal with it, faggot.

i made a cult that was using corpses and stolen metal to create a meaty shell for their weird culty deity to inhabit so they could bring destruction across the land

You're exactly the kind of person
was talking about. You are literally encouraging people to post more about how much they dislike the term, not less.

This was the original conception of Emperor Palpatine/Cos Dashit, you know. It wasn't until ESB required them to start concentrating on the idea of what the Dark Side was and who Darth Vader was that they shifted to the Sith Lord concept.

You should play Fable 3. They do a pretty rough job of it (to say the least) but it's a good example of that.

>saying "it's shit" means "I like it"
A little subtlety would be appreciated, user.

>it will always be part of the Veeky Forums lexicon.
Shut up, faggot.

Bitch please, I've been on Veeky Forums since the doors opened and only in the last ~6 months to 1 year have I ever seen anyone complain about the acronym BBEG.

I've seen people use it wrong, I've seen people ask what it meant, and I've seen people claim that is sounded silly or odd. But only relatively recently has anyone actually *complained* about the use of the term. It's much more likely that is right and that there's a small group of (or actually one) newfags that have some kind of full blown autism about the term and who are making a fuss. Fuck them.

>Shut up, faggot.
What's the matter, can't deal? Too bad, so sad.
Here's the door >>>out

Back on topic:
Best BBEG I've encountered? Probably an ancient evil that I woke up when I was chasing an evil wizard through a portal.

Long story short: Evil wizard is a massive ass goblin and keeps using portals to taunt the party after we dispatch minions from his (and I'm completely serious here) Alliance of Evil Races. I get tired of this and give chase through a portal and wind up in the wizard's sanctum. Bumbling through his obligatory dungeon I found the source of the wizard's power and set it free. Game ended shortly after that.

This post is 100% pure cringe.

This just in thread ruined by fags too busy arguing over an acronym to just contribute.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
hands down favorite bbeg was a lich who for the entire campaign was said to be a terrifying visage of pure evil... turned out to just be some bored cool-bro who enjoyed gardening and spice collecting. Convinced the entire party being evil was much more fun. It was.

The Tall Sheperd.
Basically a Slender Man thing, except it has a red suit and instead of a faceless head it had an animal skull.
It lures children with magic and brings them into their own personal hell, which is just a pocket dimension that The Tall Shepherd created. It demonizes children based on a morale system only it understands.
I had an interesting session.