pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread →

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12540480
youtube.com/watch?v=hyjfNQ0lJn4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does anybody else really hate spell schools? What's a better way of giving Wizards something interesting if not spell school specialization?

strawpoll.me/12540480

Poll for the warlock.

I really like the academic/scientific/scholarly approach to magic that Wizards take, setting them apart from other spell casters, and they kind of nicely divide sensible distinctions between types of wizardry, like blasty, mind-altery and landscapey. I'm sure there are other very novel ways of specializing wizards but I'm drawing a blank due to my hackiness.

I think the framework from the psionic monk could probably be pretty easily adapted to fighter or rogue, with little more than swapping out the required Orders. Maybe Immortal/Avatar for a fighter subclass and Nomad/Awakened(?) for Rogue?

More Rogue subclasses in general could be fun, they got kind of lame UAs.

What are good, non-disruptive ways i can play up that a character is slightly crazed. Playing a deep gnome urchin awakened mystic and i'm looking for things that i can do/act/say from time to time to show that he was unhinged for quite a while but is mostly better now.

>Way of the Elements monk subclass
>learns one Wu Jen discipline at 3rd, 6th, 11th, and 17th level
>can switch out one discipline for another Wu Jen discipline when they level up
>psionic ability is Wisdom
>can spend ki points in place of psi points
>psi limit is 2 at 3rd level, 3 at 7th, 5 at 13th, 6 at 19th

You are a Wizard. Every time you learn a spell, roll 3d6. You only get to roll once per spell, ever. You may add your proficiency bonus to learning the spell only if taught to you by another Wizard, or if you undertake a short quest to retrieve a magical substance or experience that will help you understand it's mystery.
>5 or fewer- You fail to learn the spell.
>6-8- You learn a lesser version of the spell. You either require a rare component (not found in normal component pouches) OR spell is treated as it's "normal" spell level as one higher, with no benefit.
>9-11- You learn the spell as is.
>12-14- You are very talented with this spell. Treat this spell as though one of the Sorcery meta-magic abilities are one it permanently, every time you cast it. This is selected when you first learn the spell and cannot be changed.
>15-17- As below, plus you may either remove one component of the spell (Somatic, Verbal, or Material) OR Lower the spell's level by one, but with the same effects.
>18+ This spell is infused within your essence. You may cast this spell without preperation, as long as you have an empty spell slot, and can even override other prepared spells of the appropriate spell level or greater to cast it spontaneously. This spell permanently marks your character with a minor manifestation, nervous tic, or quirk that distinguishes your Wizard from normal. ie; Cone of Cold makes your breath always visible, even when it is warm.

That doesn't solve the problem at all, Ki is much more limited than PP and one of the biggest issues with Wot4E is just how inefficient its ki usage is.

Absolute confidence that [fringe philosophical theory] is true.

Someone already did this and halved (rounded up) the psi cost of disciplines, because Monks have shit for ki if powers cost 2 a pop. Shadow and Wot4E value second level spells (3 psi) at 2 ki so it seems fitting.

As for ki still being limited, remember: short rest.

What if 1 ki point counted as 2 psi points?

They kicked around making taking the Immortal out of Mystic and making it a Fighter archetype. Everyone yelled (rightly) that it was a stupid idea and you have to leave Psychic Warrior in the fucking Psion class.

We've been "promised" that there are psionic archetypes coming for other classes, though. They have mentioned Sohei for Fighter. Soheis were basically the proto-Divine Fist (Cleric/Monk) but they'd be ditching the classical religious angle in favor of "trained at a monastery to become a warrior-monk and has funky mind powers". All in all, much better, because Soheis were cool.

Other shit that might work:
Shapers / Constructor as a Ranger-psi. They have a pet made out of ectoplasm and change/improve it by spending psi, giving them a customizable buddy every day

Zerth Cenobite and Fist of Zuoken were both psi-Monk PrCs but not very good due to their manifesting level hits, but there wasn't a whole lot wrong with them other than that.

Or rather, you can convert 1 ki point to 2 psi points as a bonus action, in a way similar to how sorcerers do it.

Honestly, i would just grant them a small PP pool as part the archetype, and then add in a "convert Ki to PP via an action", sort of like how sorcery points to spell slots work. It would let them standardize a method of 1/3 psionics to use for other archetypes.

>max 40 psi points

Seems weak but I guess they have other features Mystics don't.

>Have to leave psychic warrior in the psion class
>But it's okay to put the arcane warrior in the fighter class

They also would get them back on a short rest. At high levels they would have 120 on a 2-short-rest day, which... is a bit extreme, matching up with a full mystic.

Thus the initial suggestion of 1 ki point per psi point. 's suggestion of a 1:1 conversion on top of an extra pool is probably a more balanced solution.

yall niggas know ki comes back on a short rest right

>But it's okay to put the arcane warrior in the fighter class
It's not. Stop believing the lies of the Stockholm syndrome'd EK fags here. EK is bad and we're only trying to help them by letting everyone know. They don't deserve what WotC has done to them, and we dodged a bullet by making sure Psychic Warrior was spared that fate.

Pyschic Warrior isn't a fighter first, it's a psion/mystic that attacks.

A fighter with psionics would be a fighter archetype, like what they seem to have mentioned about the Sohei

Any tips for how I should make a STR beastmaster ranger? Some of the issues I'm running into are:
-Disliking the idea of a ranger in plate mail
-Most of the monsters I fight are resistant to non magical piercing and throwing my +1 javelin sucks compared to a +1 bow
-Not being able to use swift quiver with any str weapons

i'm sorry, you're kinda fucked if you wanna stick with a javelin for your main combat option cuz there's not a whole lot of love for thrown weapons in 5e.

you don't have to go for plate. just go for medium armor so you don't have to invest as much into dex. your AC will be fine with half-plate.

probably the best thing i can think of is going two handed and using your companion as a flanking partner so you can get some mileage out of GWM but besides that i don't see much synergy with a STR beastmaster.

Yeah, that's a really good point.

Sure, but I wouldn't mind a Mystic Knight who gives up some of the huge flexibility of the Mystic's versatility and raw psychic power for a multiattack and the other base Fighter class features.

I also wouldn't mind a War Wizard or something which allows the Wizard to be a little more martial without going full EK. It's basically an Abjurer with better weapon proficiency or a Bladesinger, so that kind of already exists.

If your DM isn't a shitter they'll lay some magic throwing weapons down for you because it needs some extra help, otherwise you're really a melee character.

>I wouldn't mind a Mystic Knight who gives up some of the huge flexibility of the Mystic's versatility and raw psychic power for a multiattack
You can give up all of your versatility by spamming that 5 psi power ability in Celerity that lets you attack again if you really want.

As long as you have a +2 dex modifier, medium armor can do you just fine.

Assuming you have a wolf, you benefit from the prone it can apply, and you trigger pack tactics if you are in melee with it, which means you can lock down an enemy by "yourself".

You could use two weapon fighting, although it isn't any better than using it with Dex, otherwise you can use medium armor+shield, which is decent AC.

The one thing i can think of that is actually BETTER than with dex would be that you can Grapple an enemy your wolf has knocked Prone, so you should be able to keep most things away from your allies and kill it over time.

Well, first, you need a whole bundle of +1 javelins. Then you need your DM to allow that throwing weapons ignore item draw limitations, or are otherwise treated as having the ammunition property. You could also skirt both of these by having a +1 returning weapon.

That said, there's not really any features (styles, feats) that benefit throwing. Maybe Dueling, if your DM grants that the +2 damage carries over. But if you're a ranged character, you may as well be dual-wielding your throwables, right?

You get super extra attack for a ranged weapon if you use Faithful Archer from Nomadic Arrow.

That's going to be the Sohei, bro. They wear armor, fight with weapons, and are having their divine magic replaced with psi shit. Fighter archetype with psi powers. Hopefully they aren't as gimped in uses per day as EK, but even if they were, at least most of the stuff in Immortal disciplines is more relevant to a Fighter than "casts Shield and occasionally Burning Hands or Gust of Wind"

I know a good bit about rpgs
I tried too gm and failed
I tried again and failed
I tried being in a friends game and he failed
It is impossible too complete a campaign.
Anyone got a discord or something i could play in to see how a campaign is supposed to go?

Reposting my fighter makeover, criticism welcome.

How did they fail?

That's actually really neat, I hadn't looked much at the Nomad Disciplines yet.

Sounds good, sort of a psychic paladin kind of thing? Lightning Leap and most Immortal disciplines sound fun for a martial.

Explain how there was failure.

The options for a "thrown weapons" based class aren't great.

As it stands now, thrown weapons are only meant as a suppliant to melee. So you basically have to deal with it or cross your fingers for a UA thing incorporates some thrown weapon stuff.

Alternatively talk to your GM, I just played a spear chucking orc ranger in a monster campaign. But we had to chop a lot of stuff up to make it work as a strength based leather wearing class.

How to fix thrown weapons:
Any weapon with the thrown property is considered a ranged weapon when used to make a ranged attack [to allow the use of the Archery style and related items], and may be drawn as though they were ammunition [so you can make extra attacks with them].

Still inferior to bows, but viable.

>using any of the EK's evocation spells

Funny you mention UA, because there is actually a Mystic option that would let you extra attack with a single thrown weapon... if that weapon is a Net.

>a bonus action, you imbue a ranged weapon with a limited sentience. Until your concentration ends, you can make an extra attack with the weapon at the start of each of your turns (no action required). If it is a thrown weapon, it returns to your grasp each time you make any attack with it.

The only "thrown" ranged weapon is Net.

Or dart, because apparently reading is hard, and i totally didn't forget Darts exist.

I like what you've done, personally though I'd just keep Champion as-is, but buff up Remarkable Athlete as it's a glorified boost to initiative.
I'd say something like-
An amount of times equal to your Con mod per short rest, you can, once per turn, perform greater feats of martial prowess. You can either-
Add 1d4/1d6 to your weapon attacks for the turn,
-Make a shove attack against a target,
-Double your proficiency bonus for a skill using Dex or Str. This lasts for one check, and disappears if not used at the end of the turn.

I think i'd add the automatic 10 or higher effect onto Remarkable Athlete at a later level, let them perform consistently at all that stuff.

I want to make a tiefling monk noble. Is d&d the type of game where everything is acceptable? Because reading up on tieflings in the book shows their race are normally in the rougher parts of town. I don't want to really make a I guess "lore" breaking kind of character. I don't know, this is my first attempt at making a character in general.

Do you guys play with material components to spells? My DM completely ignores that rule unless it's calling for an expensive item lime raise dead.

He also seems to ignore concentration saves for spells

It's all setting dependent, but those 3 things certainly are all core options and there is no mechanical reason you can't do it.

Based on the standard fluff, it'd work better if he was a noble bastard.

I think that eats into the Champions theme of being resource-less and always ready. Then again, this homebrew already does do that, so that sounds kind of cool.

>Is d&d the type of game where everything is acceptable?
Not really, but a tiefling noble is fine. A devil-cursed noble house is an evocative thing to have in a setting so I'd definitely do it.

I generally assume a pouch is always stocked, or my players would just choose an arcane focus every time. I only really care about spell components which have a gold cost.

Don't ignore concentration saves for spells, even if it's easy to forget.

I was actually thinking that exact same thing. Bastard it is then. Probably.
Thank you both for replying.

It is a nice fix, I usually try to avoid dipping into other classes unique features, but that idea has good flavor. I always felt the Champion should be the fighting man's man, a barbarian with more control, in a sense.

the non-gold cost components and the spell focus are really there just to make sure the casters hands are occupied, and thus prevented from holding a shield,extra weapon etc. The component requirement for spells is not to require fiddly inventory management.

concentration checks are vital to balance against the power of spell buffs. Is your DM at least remembering that a caster cannot maintain concentration on more than one spell?

This one was tough because I really don't like Warlocks at all. I guess the flavor of the Undying is the best in my opinion though.

the fuck are you guys on? Eldritch Knight is great

So just out of curiosity. The Psionic Weapon lets your enemy make a save or be hit by a melee attack. This negates the small sized penalty for using heavy weapons right?

Why are GOO warlocks so popular, and why does it feel like I've never played with a classic Demon warlock, and instead they're all Azathoth fuccbois?

Because "Ma eldritch abomination" is what's cool with the kids nowadays. Fiend>Fey>>>GOO for the core options.

It's harder, although certainly not impossible, to play neutral or good aligned Fiend warlocks, and "no evil characters" is a fairly common campaign stipulation.

Whereas I've never played a GOO because I don't jive with the theme, I honestly feel, not counting UA, it's the best archetype thematically, and gets a pretty boss spell list.

Ben?

Mechanically* fuck

I admit the mechanical aspects and the spell list are nice. My main gripe is because they mentioned Cthulhu in the patrons, every single fucking under 18 at my game store's obsessed with them. We let some of those guys come to our home games and I've had to ban Warlocks because 2+ in every party was too much.

Nah
Current character is a human War Cleric, Soldier background, on the off chance one of my group sees

>ek can no longer teleport
>improved crit is needlessly complicated
>changed things around but didnt make anything better

say lots of nonsensical, contradictory, or paradoxical phrases. also try to speak more literally. e.g. instead of "that hurt me" say "knife bring pain"

Cthulhu warlocks are a meme because Welcome to Nightvale is popular and vaguely Lovecraftian.

As soon as someone makes a podcast based on the works of Aleister Crowley, you'll see more fiendlocks.

I hope so. Best Warlock I've seen in play was an Undying one played similar to Renfield, it was pretty boss. Also one of those characters that ended up betraying the party and nobody minded because it was well done, realistic and made for a good story.

It would appear so, yes. Be a little dude with a huge sword who uses his mind to hit hard with that sword.

MTG and Hearthstone's previous sets were cthulu themed. It's popping up in other places too.

My plan was to play a Gnome and once I've got a healthy supply of PP to take along a Great-Axe for when I can help out in Melee.

Also don't need proficiency which is nice.

>EK's
>Using 1st level spells that aren't shield and absorb elements.

Mastery of Wood and Earth for Animate Weapon is pretty much just better, but if you just want the flavor your way works.

Some people don't get that an EK is a quadratic fighter.

Lore Bard/ Rogue or Lore Bard/fighter multi-class?

neither?

>ek can no longer teleport
Thanks, that's an oversight. I'll add in a 15th level feature that lets you teleport when you cast a spell of first level or higher. I'm probably going back to action surges on a short rest, but I think tying the teleportation to a short rest would be needlessly punitive.

>improved crit is needlessly complicated
I disagree on this. It seems pretty simple to me. You roll a single dice, and get a result.

>changed things around, but didn't make anything better
You'll have to elaborate further.

Not him, but for me, I liked what you tried to do with the Champion's crit mechanic, but as it was in your fix, I wouldn't want to chance a die on a crit- I'd use it for maneuvers which are more likely to succeed. The risk/reward mechanic presented here felt much more "barbarian", rather than "focused fighting-man."

Lore wizrd/____________

So what was the worst thing you let your party do, /5eg/? Murder innocents, start wars, kick puppies, generally evil shit.

Animate 14 skeletons and take them into battle.

one of my players took a dragon cultist that gave up and grappled him. he took him to the edge of the mountain cliff and went full edgelord and said "this is the last thing you'll ever see" and proceeded to cut his head off and throw it down the mountain.

My party once interrogated someone. They started inserting things between his thumb nails and his thumbs.

He didn't know anything they wanted to know, but they didn't know that. The information he gave them was completely false, and just given so they'd give him a few days of relief

Giving them magical 'meat slave' clothing. Whoever wore it would slowly lose their will until they became for all intents and purposes an animated dead. It also let them redirect damage the 'master garment' took to the slaves. They tried to enslave the party paladin, the paladin's master, and the NPCs that traveled with them from the start of the campaign.

Does it count if I haven't done it? Because I was wondering the legitimacy of someone using a soul jar on a pregnant lady, except not the lady.

>I disagree on this. It seems pretty simple to me. You roll a single dice, and get a result.
my issue with it is that i'm just opposed to mechanics that require further rolling of dice, so i feel like changing improved crit from 1d20 to 1d20+1d8 is bad.
also the math is different and i just don't like it. personal taste i guess. champion can use it every turn to have a chance to crit right? the way that dice regenerate? so its a 12.5% chance to crit instead of 10% chance, and then a 20% chance instead of 15%? idk. plus extra damage?
>You'll have to elaborate further.
i actually take it back because remarkable athlete is trash and you made it do something.
but on further review, i just dislike the design philosophy of "fighters get to do cool stuff every turn, every other class doesn't". but thats not so much a problem with your design as with the context.
i guess overall i just feel like you've somewhat complicated fighters, to maybe make them a bit better, but make them way too fundamentally different from 5e especially as compared to different classes.
a nice aspect of 5e's combat is that its relatively simple without 4e style attacks and powers every turn. we can agree to disagree on that, and i wouldn't mind SOME complication, but 2 superiority die regenerating every turn seems like a lot to me, even if you added some action cost to some abilities.

They haven't done much to bad so far, we'll see since they'll have a couple brushes with the underworld of cities. Also having to choose between killing someone they deem as "bad" or letting them go because it's better for everyone will be interesting.

>Mayor of town is Lawful Evil
>If he's slain the main guards have orders to kill several innocents to maintain order
>Also another one is the only thing keeping things together
>His death would result in several towns being wiped out

Sucks when the bad guys have mostly won by killing the Emperor so the country is in chaos.

That's the tricky thing about torture, eventually they'll just tell you what they think you want to hear.

>not casting haste on him to slow down his perception of time, then throwing him off the mountain
youtube.com/watch?v=hyjfNQ0lJn4

>necromancer ship
>every night they eat the cabin boy alive
>then rez him for the next night

Fair enough. Contextually, I am planning on treating the other classes similarly, if I can get the fighter one to a place where I'm satisfied.

My group was invited to do an evil campaign, but it hasn't gone on for more than one session yet, and I think the DM is a bit afraid to.

The party Wizard described his plan to get access to a Nature God as, quote from the group chat,
>Kidnap a Nature Cleric, force them into submission, then either force them to be a conduit to whatever God they worship, or make them into a meat suitcase (No arms, legs, mouth, ears or eyes) and mail them back to whatever monastery they come from

>one of my players took a dragon cultist that gave up and grappled him. he took him to the edge of the mountain cliff and went full edgelord and said "this is the last thing you'll ever see" and proceeded to cut his head off and throw it down the mountain.
Romanticism

When i was gm
People got bored i.e. too much exposition
Tried again
They slowly lost interest as they were not big rpers

Freind
Going good
Not alot of conflict
He lets me die after i refuse to breathe in toxic gas 2 times and he says it told me too breath in.
I breath it in because i tried 2 times!!! I die...he says i wasn't supposed to breathe in!!! Fuck you!!!
Next time with him
He forgets he is running a campaign...

>>If he's slain the main guards have orders to kill several innocents to maintain order
Literally worse than 70s comic book moral quandaries. I don't normally shit on monster of the week D&D campaigns, but when a dictator dies someone else steps in, not some retarded ultimatum.

Talk about contrivance.

Donald, get some sleep, you have muslims to ban.

then i think you have a good start. i still feel how i feel about your improved crit changes and the nature of recovering all maneuvers in a single turn.

Would adding a skill or two onto the normal human be enough to see it get played? I also let everyone take a feat for free.

Doesn't get spells that would be nifty for melee like blur, mirror image, or haste.

>not including the Lovecraftian deities in your setting

The ultimate rule of thumb in basically any question about D&D is, "Ask your DM"

Assuming they aren't a dick and/or your idea isn't retarded you ought to be able to work something out

Yeah he remembers that you can only have one concetration at a time. He just assumes that concentration checks are just for serious damage, as opposed to any damage.