Wowitsfuckingnothing.jpg

wowitsfuckingnothing.jpg

What the fuck were the devs thinking when they made Antarctica? For the final 7th continent, all they could do was THAT? I guess they must've got burnt out after making all these other interesting places and cultures, they just went "Nah, fuck it, let's just make the whole thing an icy uninhabited wasteland".

And the worst part are all those subtle hints about the ruins of lost civilizations buried beneath the ice, and possibly aliens, too... and it's never explored further. The place doesn't even have polar bears, just dumb flightless birds. What a fucking waste.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amundsen–Scott_South_Pole_Station
youtube.com/watch?v=P5lQ9DCXIbs
youtube.com/watch?v=nSJSq39is0I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm happy they didn't explore those subtle hints further, it leaves you space to make what you want out of them.

I think it's going to have some kind of role in the apocalypse module they're planning.

I think it's kind of a pain how you have to get a whole new set of gear just for this.

But dat new Dog Sled mount.

I think this is a pretty dumb meme, particularly in this form. Antarctica is pretty fucking interesting, senpai. Try reading about it some day.

I want to make this the setting for something in my globe-trotting Mage: The Ascension game.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amundsen–Scott_South_Pole_Station

youtube.com/watch?v=P5lQ9DCXIbs

I'm just trying to figure out what the Technocracy is keeping there / studying there / found there.

Any ideas, Veeky Forums?

> Coldest continent
> Driest continent
> Continent with the highest average elevation
> Home to lots of interesting extremophiles
> Hotbed of meteorite research

How is this an uninteresting continent?

Wait till you hear about how they pulled the "mountains of madness" content and rolled it into the ocean exploration stuff.
Not that they'll reach release..
Like as if we'll ever get Rylleh.

Because you have to be lvl 25 and explicitly role a scientist with really wonky skill progression to even go there nowadays. Originally, there weren't any class or level restrictions.

True story, the very first game I played was in high school (so maybe the GM was in the wrong) but when we rolled for our starting country, I got double-zero twice, and since he was sick of being told to reroll the result, he just said "Fuck it, you're from Antarctica".

It never came up in the game, though.

By that logic, Europa is a super uninteresting moon since you can't go there at all

>He hasn't reached the Land that Time Forgot

The joke is that we're talking about Antarctica as if Earth itself was a role playing game setting, where in a continent such as Antarctica would be a pointless venture for questing as there are no civilizations there to explore, leading to the assumption that the hypothetical developers of such a game were being lazy when creating thr continent.

The specific joke of my post was that, using the thread's joke logic, only a very specific player class with a very specific build is able to venture there, lowering the over-all number of players even capable of experiencing an entire continent. This is to parallel that only scientist are typically given access to Antarctica in modern times.

> just dumb flightless birds
FITE ME

>every area needs to be fully fleshed out and filled with interesting shit
Fuck off you entitled brat. The rail road tracks are there for a reason.

Not the DM's fault you left the starting area to save "pengwins" or whatever made up bullshit you saw.

Canonically? Absimilliard, the Nosferatu Antediluvian, is sleeping in the ice. Also anyone who looks at him dies, he's that ugly.

It's the beta continent. If you were back during that period, there was a lot of fun there: atlantis, dinosaurs, alien nazi saucer people.

The fact that you can get there at all now is ridiculous. It's almost as bad as when people got into the test continent and the devs just opened it up for everyone. Who the hell thought Australia would be balanced?

>Not loving the hard-mode continent where even the safe-zones are dangerous
Toppest pleb
What sucks the most is the rules revision they made saying that it's its own country and can't be ruled by anyone else. Even though the population is in the single digits

>Someone who's never read Burroughs

Like that has ever stopped PCs before.
They'll murderhobo wherever they want to murderhobo, regardless of restrictions.

>hating on penguins
Heresy

This. I wouldn't mess with penguins, especially if they are well armed

thats were hitler is , duh ..... gawd dont you even history bro ?

quads confirm, don't mess with penguins

Fuck penguins they are ugly, smelly, flightless birds.
I can't wait for the apocalypse module to wipe them out.

It's easier to understand if you don't think of it as a full expansion since they didn't charge for it to begin with. The survival mechanic junkies and the players who are way too into the science profession all got in a tizzy because the Everest event has basically become pay-to-win, so they gave them a sandbox to get them out of everyone's hair until the underwater expansion is out of beta. If you don't like it, just ignore it. You don't need any of the drops from there anyway.

Wow, that is really lame.

>not knowing about the ancient blood cults of the ceaseless wastes
>not knowing of the massive goods and evils trapped in the ice
>not knowing of the hidden outposts long forgotten and ripe for exploration

Don't believe all the things you hear, senpai. A bunch of the old players just want it as their secret club house. There's plenty of adventures to be had down there.

Yet they'll bitch and moan that thr DM is being unfair when they run into the instadeath water, wind that does permanent damage to HP, and that thr interior uses a combination of desert and tundra effect tables.

Antartica is as stupid as when they removed Atlantis. Atlantis was fun!

>nothing
Poor Buzz Aldrin thinks otherwise after his last visit there.

Whether he was loved tenderly by a many-tentacled eldritch horror or tortured in the 4th Reich embassy by the astral projection of Hitler's second clone on Aldebaran is anyone's guess.

He posted the ancient pyramid, so I'm assuming he received the Lovecraftian D.

Just wait for the DM to start the melting plotline...

It was never removed, it's just called the Azores. This is what happens when you get suckered into the hype bandwagon.

Honestly, I'm more interested in the upcoming mars expansion they've been hinting at.

vaporware
well, depending if they decide to release the Apocalypse update first or not.

>all these noobies wanking off to the "new" continent content.

Fuck I feel like an old fag. Does anyone even remember Doggerland? Or Zealandia for that matter.

>devs scrap every landmass you invest time in with their bullshit floods.

And now they're just getting rid off it with the global warming expansion.

Damn devs, they coulda put more there.

Oh don't even get me started. I was on the original dev-team before the budget cuts prior launch. Lemuria was a fucking great continent. At least it's core idea was kept in the Atlantis module, but even that was cut in the final release.
God damn corporate...

>Still believing in the Blood Cults rumour
That was just a photocopy error when they released the Rupelian Age update. Grogs use to use it as a casual filter; it's not real.

>getting pissy about floods ruining your lands

M8, get ready for round two.

It's probably going to be nothing. Remember when they used Antarctica as the plot hook for the "No More CFC" mission during the Pollution event and all it was was there was the Ozone Hole counter?

All they're going to do is revise the map, add more to the total freashwater count, and maybe get rid of some penguins.

Oh man, we're going to lose Florida though.

That had some of the best random encounters.

I feel that's a fate many of us here could appreciate

So that Gates of Hell expansion is looking pretty nice.

I doubt it. If they did, they'd have to completely redo the Florida Man class, and too many people play that build.

So we can just post anything, as long as we pretend what we're talking about is in fact part of a fictional traditional game?

It's not the most optimized, but the random effects can one-shot bosses if you're lucky.

However, the NPC law enforcement always is after you. And bounties double on you...

OH BOY IT'S ALMOST LIKE WE'RE ON A BOARD FOR TRADITIONAL GAMES WHICH REQUIRE IMAGINATION SINCE IT'S JUST A GAME OH BOY

Boo this user!

It's meta commentary on how nitpicky players are with traditional game settings. I knew a guy who refused to play Zelda games because Gordons existed.

>tfw program a perfect divine paradise
>faggot ass players glitch their way into forbidden tree of source code
>causes entire game map to fragment
>complains about state of game afterwards

Fuck you OP

WAIT NO WE'RE PLUNGING INTO /V/-

it's too late

Those play testers didn't have to do what that one asshole Dev told them to do. Anyone who signs in as a legged snake is obviously going to be a giant asshole.

Is he? Isn't he supposed to be THE paragon of beauty?

>given access
I can't just sail tgere if I want to? wtf

Ooh. Should I tell you? The devs are revamping the continents for the upcoming Age of GlobalWaermingi. It's Aentar'tipodina now.

Yeah, but you're pretty much assuring that you're killing yourself. The only legit ways to go to Antarctica are very expensive cruises, resupply ships for the scientists there, and being a scientist.

Any other route is going involve you sailing for a long ass time from Chile, South Africa or Tasmania, and then figuring out how to survive on the most dangerous continent on the planet.

I hear they're scaling back the size of it though. I think it's for this 'Global Warming' event they have planned.

Yeah yeah, but lets talk about some PRIME adventuring material instead of some obscure shit

Who /Syria/ here?

We're talking about an entire nation that's basicly become the battleground for adventurers from all over the world. Okey sure there are balancing issues and it looks like the GM's are starting to wrap up the metaplot or atleast freeze it, which honestly is just as well because then you can use it for adventuring forever.
>but user you can always ignore metaplot developments
In theory yes, but too many players are obsessed with canon

>newfriend posts without lurking moar; film at 11

The forums laughed at me for specializing in cold weather survival and putting ranks in xenobiology in a one-planet server. Now I have a whole continent's worth of rare loot from the beta and nobody knows how to counter it.

>shitty level system
come on, this was getting interesting, why did you have to ruin everything?

>The ENTIRE continent is just... cold. "Oh look, another ice-encrusted hill."

Yeah, right. As if continents work like that. These things are big and diverse. Pretty unrealistic, 4/10 would not play

>Mocking the maxing of cold-weather survival
>Never even trying to explore Russia especially during the Cold War expansion
Geez people on that forum were dumb. Did they never run a campaign in one of the best possible settings ?

>expensive cruises
This is more what I was thinking of

dumb flightless birds? You spelt Sexy Midget Nuns rong user.

Who needs Polar Bears when you've got Giant Squid, Colossal Squid, Leopard Seals, Elephant Seals...

How could they have known it'd go that badly? He knew none of the playtesters had seen the bug report and took advantage of it.

I prefer /Peru/. So much undiscovered information regarding the lost cultures there.

Even if it isn't vaporware, the dev's plans set the earliest possible release date to be in 2035. And don't bother with "what about that 3rd party splat book? isn't it coming out in 2020-2022?" Not even the official playtesters have figured out how all the possible adverse effects that the already released space and mars rules would have on characters-and the SpaceXploration splatbooks won't even take them into account.

Syria is a clusterfuck. Aren't there something like fifty different warring factions, not including the government and ISIS? how do the GM's keep track of everything?

CHECK'D

penguin uprise soon confirmed

>long time player
>Hears about a continent I never heard of before
>Excite
>Finds out you have to be in post game as an oceanographer to access
>Was given a retarded ass name too
>Zealandia

Man, fuck this, I'm gonna go play some mtg

>Mary Sue: The Terrain
GM is just trying to live out his fantasy

Holy shit I didn't know it was possible to be this new.

Truly this must be some sort of transcendental meta-bait, fellow anons.

Well done, here's your (You).

I will never not be mad the devs forbid any expansions of the setting outside the solar system because they declared Faster Than Light travel impossible in game. All those theories about future interstellar expansions and factions, crashed because the game remains devoted to its made up physics which barely have any rules down at the quantum level

I wanted to colonize Alpha Cenautri so bad

I've been looking for a new pvp module ever since Ukraine, The betrayal of the Slavs, has become so dull. Fucking devs limit the options for real pvp combat too much. Now it is restricted to infantry shit mostly, unless you know the store owner that can house rule in your favor.

Though I might just wait up for the big third installment of The Trilogy. I'm just afraid it will cost me more than arm and a leg.

He was before he was scarred by...I forget who. Zillah, I think. Absimiliard was the instigator of the Third Generation's attack against the Second as a result - the whole thing wasn't really about power or jealousy or anything anything else but Absimiliard's own wounded pride.

The implication has always been that it wasn't really all that much of a scar. Probably would even have made him look sexy, but he disagreed.

When Caine came back and learned what Absimiliard had done, he was pissed and cursed Absimiliard and all his spawn to be utterly hideous, though Absimiliard, as the Antediluvian and the one who actually did the deed, got it worst.

>Because you have to be lvl 25 and explicitly role a scientist with really wonky skill progression to even go there nowadays

not true at all. My dad just got back from an 18 montg stint there as an engineer. The bases are basically small towns there's tradies, cooks, management and even artists and shit down there. Actual scientists are only a minority.

Also if you want "interesting" places there's whole beaches that are spongy because they're made of feet thick layers of mumified pengiun corpses built up of millenia of nesting in the same place.

Beaches made of penguin corpses?

That's fucking disturbing.

>Necromancer comes to Antarctica
>Entire beach rises up to form a megapenguin

youtube.com/watch?v=nSJSq39is0I

This.

Too much of the setting is overdeveloped, you can't do anything without upsetting some lorefag. Antarctica lets you build whatever the fuck you want.