My group has this problem where players will barge into each others conversations even if it is within a language they...

My group has this problem where players will barge into each others conversations even if it is within a language they don't know, and especially if they have an opinion on something. For instance, one of the players was talking to kobolds in draconic and the kobolds were saying they were going to lead them to a way out after the cavern collapsed. Only one player was able to speak Draconic but the other players were talking to the kobolds and it was kind of irritating. Especially because they wanted to roll insight on them to see if they were truthful. You don't even know what they're saying, only one person can make that roll.

I get that they don't want to waste time but it gets worse than that. It's not just a way to save time, it ruins moments too. One player was talking to his father, who had been missing in the Shimmerwood forest for decades, and other players start barging in and asking him questions too. Even if I do a DM-reminder, where I just ask if they're sure they want to interrupt their friend meeting his father for the first time in 40 years, the moment is just fucking gone.

I intend to discuss this on Sunday, when we play next, but I wanted another opinion(s). How would you as a player want to be approached? How do you as a DM handle this in your own games? I don't want to sit the group down and tell them "Y'all niggas rude as fuck" but I also need to bring it up in a way they take seriously. I need your help Veeky Forums!

Please, no frogposting on Veeky Forums. Thank you.

I was under the impression frogposting wasn't just anything with Pepe in it, I thought it was something specifically condescending or smug, like this:

>dm tells the only girl in the group not to talk so much

Going to great effort to frogpost might not be just as bad, but it's actually even sadder.

They really couldn't find a single post on the entire internet that was better than some awkward meme that is spammed on the worst boards? Here, have one I found in three seconds through this magical thing called google that is more in line with the OP's subject.

Does your group have conversation time before you start playing? While you GM is setting up his PC or something? That's always a good time to bring it up.

>When you ignore someone's well thought out post and refuse to offer advice or even your opinion to attack the stupid image they chose to post with because you're a child

>when OP pretends that people should just ignore his image

He should have picked a better image then. Fault always falls on the frogposter.

Fuck off, sperg.

Grow some fucking balls and tell your players they don't speak draconic. Ignore them if they talk. As far as the general impolite speaking skills, maybe you should find some better adjusted friends.

I don't really get your problem. I mean, yes, it's probably kind of annoying, but is it REALLY that of a big deal?
At least they're interested in what's happening, my group would be making Monty Python jokes or discussing Dark Souls during the game.

Please no pepes here. That's /pol/ stuff now.

Who are you quoting?

Yeah, I almost reported this thread because of the frogpost. Keep that shit away in it's containment boards.

For your group, you have the right idea. Before the session starts, you need to ask them if they are there to relax and have fun, or to role-play. Neither answer is wrong, but it will show you what the people you are playing with expect.
Also, when an NPC starts talking, say to the players what language they are speaking, ask who can speak that language, and then say that only PC's who can speak that language can communicate with the NPC. Say it enough times and the players will catch on.

if you ignore languages what is even the point of having them in the first place?

language is just as important to roleplaying as everything else.

I'd say something like: "Shh! You don't speak the language!" and then turn my attention back to the guy who does speak the language.

>One player was talking to his father, who had been missing in the Shimmerwood forest for decades, and other players start barging in and asking him questions too.
For this, I'd have the father get irritated and say something along the lines of "Do you mind? I haven't seen my son in forty years!" while waving off their questions. I'd then have him be irritable and uncooperative with them.

> I'm not at fault for insulting OP and derailing his thread because he posted a picture of a fantasy creature I don't like on the fantasy board, and other anons are retarded because they don't share my opinion.

I'd just keep emphasizing that they don't speak that language. I mean, you can buy a new language with skillpoints next level, and there's plenty of spells and magic items that grant either understanding or the ability to speak different languages.

As for things like insight checks and sense motive and stuff, they'd get a huge negative if they don't speak the language, if they don't automatically fail it (which they should, unless they have a lot of ranks into Sense Motive or something). I mean, if a kobold is making chittering-growling noises one way, how are you supposed to tell if it's any different if they say it in a different, less honest way?

I had players solving this themselves at one point by using actual languages only the people involved knew, but it was a pretty multilingual group, and that's likely uncommon in much of the gaming world.

At best it sort of circumvents role playing for the sake of efficiency. At worst, players start talking over each other and it's hard to get a grasp on what the fuck is going on. To boil the question down further, how do I get control of my table when this occurs?