MTG No Real Scotsman

>muh only 60 card constructed is really magic.
>Muh limited isn't really magic and neither is edh.

Someone justify this nonsense I've seen 3x now on Veeky Forums.

If anything, limited is the purest format, because it what the cards are designed for.

Well jesus, i don't think anyone has said those things

Fuck off MaRo, and no I won't check your trips.

>777

limited is like 40 card deck you draw together at an event right ? is that standard?

60 is natural, original.

edh / commander is 100 card deck, all none lands have to be single copies right ?

the cards are designed to make and cause arguments !, like magic is a game that hates itself.
FFS try teaching a noob sometime, it is fguttlesticks buttfrustrating.

5/10 bait at best. Try harder next time.

>He makes me find some posts

Fortunately there's a bunch of them in a single thread I can point to for examples
I more or less agree with , except I've been playing since 6th.

Nah, the game was objectively better on a casual level when people were content with following the base rules using whatever cards they got from packs or traded.

Commander is a format made to convince people their choices and money matter.

Not bait. Serious post.

Got quotes.
Correct. Magic has several formats, and some people throw a fit if you act like anything but standard/modern/legacy are actually magic. Meanwhile, most of the cards are designed for a limited environment.

As for is limited "standard", standard is a fairly recent development. It's the "standard" competition format, but that's about it. Each format in MTG is a standard.

That doesn't change the fact that people getting autistic about "only tournament formats are really magic" and "you don't play games for fun" is just obnoxious, and avoiding such people is one of the reasons you get people who "only play edh".

Commander is shit because multiplayer is shit. Politics should have no bearing on the game.
>B-but just play Duel commander!
That's fucking retarded, why would I add all those arbitrary restrictions when I can just play magic?

Also limited is 95% luck and 5% skill. Whoever opens and draws the most pack rats wins.

>"All those restrictions"
It's basically Singleton legacy with a commander.

And singleton and the commander would be the reasons to do it.

As for disliking multiplayer, well, I suspect that's a matter of personal preference. I much prefer multiplayer and politicking, or at least 2hg and coordinating, to 1v1.

I mean, 1v1 is okay, but 4-6 player magic is the most fun, imo.

>Draft is all luck
Someone doesn't understand draft very well.

I avoid EDH people because of the opposite. The ones that I meet try to convince other people that it makes no sense to play anything other than EDH, despite them funneling literal thousands of dollars into EDH just so they can play 8 person games of solitaire during their lunch hours.
No person would take chess seriously if there was EDH chess where people had dozens of weird pieces of the board with 4+ people playing. I really feel magic the same way. It is supposed to be a game played out with at least a tiny bit of strategy and decision making.

this describes my feelings so well about EDH. If someone can't appreciate drafting or sealed why do they play magic at all. Go collect stamps or something.

And what if you like draft and sealed, and singleton or EDH (with price limits or proxies), and cube, but hate the metagame repetitive wankfest that is 60 card constructed or "competitive" edh?

EDH (with price limits) is the only constructed format I play. Stopped playing 60 card constructed around 2007 or so - I've only ever enjoyed that particular deck format in a multiplayer environment. I suppose if I lived in Victoria I might try 100 card singleton, but there's never been a scene for that anywhere I've lived.

But I will happily draft or sealed or cube.

>Strategy and decision making
Magic is very largely a matter of matchups and luck of the draw though. 4-ofs increase the amount reliant on matchup, Singleton increases the amount of luck of the draw.

Either way there are strategic decisions in game, but it's far less strategic than chess (or my favorite boardgame) Stratego.

You guys sound like good cool dudes to me then. In my experience with MTG I've found that anybody in the past 10 years that says they've never played draft/sealed/cube and/or claims they are trash formats are people who do not appreciate MTG.

im in a strange boat on this one, i kinda love most formats, but most of my new group are pretty new to the game, and the nuances of drafting just flies over them so they just...dont draft anymore

There is plenty of depth in "4-ofs constructed", even if you want to be hyperbolic about taking into consideration poor and good matchups.
Singleton is retarded because of two things.
1. it assumes [card variety = FUN!!!!] when in reality your decks in singleton are formulated of as many ultra-strong cards are possible - just like the opposite end of constructed it thinks it is avoiding.
2. it takes even more player control out of the game because more often than not you are just throwing together whatever strategy your extremely randomized groupings of cards let you play. While I admit I do not have any large amount of empircal or even anecdotal evidence to support this I have found this to be mine and many other's experience with it.

Maybe you could try what me and my friends do. We also have several players who are not skilled at draft/sealed, love magic, but don't want to waste money and feel awful at the end of even a pre-release night.
What me and the players with immense card pools from many years of limited do are create simple cubes for us all to play with.

Draft is pricey, sadly

I'm also not into the hoarding aspect of the game.

I mostly cube.
>Separate playsets that support up to 10 people in multiplayer *OR* tournament setups
>Playset is custom designed for balance and it's all luck and on the spot deck building and strategy.
>You can have different playsets for variety. I have both a Ravnica cube, and a Khan's cube, for instance. May eventually get an Innistrad cube or Alara or something.

Cube is best format. Only downside is drafting is time consuming, so you basically have to have a whole day for it.

Did a deck builders toolkit league one time (10th). That was fun, and low cost, and all about skill.

sadly that pooling cards for a cube doesnt exactly work for this group

I don't think draft is pricey at all. if $13 dollars a draft is too expensive for your hobby then don't partake in it.

I do all of my drafts and pre-release(sealed) by the same $100 dollars I put into the game about 6 years ago when I started doing limited frequently. Through winning enough, speculating on cards, and selling unused cards I haven't put any more money into my hobby for a long long time.

While not everybody wants to be this autistic about it there are lots of simple ways to extend your playtime, and still $13 dollars or $25 for sealed isn't very much if you do it seldom.

Sorry to hear that, maybe consider finding a large pool of various cards? You don't need expensive cards to make a good drafting pool.

I'm saying it's pricey to do regularly.

If you're drafting 3-5x a week (every time you play magic), that will add up quick.

Hence "draft is pricey".

Too pricey for most to draft "most of the time"

I don't think its right to criticize any formats for not being "real" magic. I think thats part of the beauty of the game, that you can change the rules so drastically and have entirely different experiences. I have played almost every real format besides vintage, and I have enjoyed every one for different reasons. Of course, I liked some more than others, and that just comes down to personal tastes. But I think most formats at least have something to offer, and people who say that a certain format is shit just haven't really experienced it to the format (that includes competitive edh, which I actually enjoy quite a bit)

Ironically, the only formats I really enjoy are limited (cube and draft are my favorites) and EDH.
Incoming shitstorm[\spoiler]

This would have been a nice post anywhere but Veeky Forums, where people with literally nothing to be proud of in real life validate their existence by subscribing to an opinion and shitting themselves trying to hold on to it no matter what.

Op here. I share that opinion.

Constructed is only fun for me in multiplayer.

Limited(Cube ranges from good to elder god teir)
Legacy
Pauper
Kitchen Table(Friendgroup only)
EDH(Friendgroup only)

These are good magic's.

Other magic's a shit.

Fact.

>Legacy
Not a huge fan.

But I agree cube is best magic.

This is like
Veeky Forums sucks at Magic: The Thread

Those are the opinions of morons who can't get good at limited and tools who think paying $30 for a single card is perfectly acceptable.
Their opinions can be safely disregarded.

>morons who can't get good at limited
Draft skill notwithstanding, you can get completely boned by bad luck in limited. That makes it unappealing to some.
> tools who think paying $30 for a single card is perfectly acceptable.
Putting money into a hobby you enjoy is fine. If somebody hates the block currently being drafted, why not put their mtg budget towards constructed format staples?

Those who write off entire formats as objectively bad are the ones to disregard.
People can have legitimate subjective reasons for not wanting to play specific formats.

What's with all the stupid fucking formats and limiting cards you can use by fucking year?

Unlimited or nothing desu.

Is it shit?

For a while EDH was a casual format where it basically was "You know all those extra cards we have that would be fun to play with but aren't really viable? Let's make a format where they fit!"

However after it got popular lots of people looked at it and said "Oh, a Legacy Singleton format with a very lax banned/restricted list? I can have some """""""fun""""""" there!"

>They're okay
You're okay to user, have a nice day.

People should be allowed to play whatever they want, anything else and you're a retard.

I don't play 60 card formats because the returns relative to price aren't good but if you love them then go for it.

Acceptable.

I should have specified, Legacy is great if you have the dosh for a few nice decks.

The problem with legacy is that Cube and EDH can give you more variety within a given meta.

Yea but if you can afford a few nice Legacy decks I'd say you or your playgroup is fairly set for cube & EDH too.

I play about everything I listed. Some maybe once or twice a year but yea.

This man gets it.

Also mfw people saying EDH takes no skill or strategy, do you think all players have Craw WUrm or turn 1 win metas? EDH is varied af and is a great exercise at deckbuilding and card decision, independent of low or high budget.

>First quote
Commander is a bad format to introduce new players to. This is true for a number of reasons.
>Second quote
Commander is shit
>Third quote
60 card isn't fun. Commander and cube are fun. This is literally the opposite of what you say people are arguing you fucking retard.
>Fourth quote
Cube (ie: limited) is the best way to start a new player. Commander is not the best way to get a new player into magic.

There was literally 0 criticism of limited and nothing even resembling "Muh limited isn't really magic".

>If anything, limited is the purest format, because it [sic] what the cards are designed for.
Okay newbie. Limited wasn't even a consideration until something like Ice Age. The game was initially designed around constructed.

Since you seem to be a mouthbreathing retard and can't differentiate 'what format is a good place for a new player to start?' with 'this format is absolute shit for all players' I'll clarify:

Commander is a shitty format to start new players with because the cardpool is much larger than standard or draft (and even modern) and is a much more combo focused format. It's also a multiplayer format which encourages a little bit more passivity because dropping an alpha strike to wipe out one player leaves you open to retaliation from the other 2-3 players in the game.

Starting with commander teaches incorrect lessons about tempo, general tactics, and forces a memorization of a much larger cardpool. It's also one of the least transitionable formats since it's essentially legacy (and in some cases vintage).

Draft is a great place to start but casual 60card constructed with more or less equal power level is the best.

And hey, if you think EDH is the best place for a new player to start, by all means educate me. Because there's literally no good reason for a new player to start with such a complex and strategically different format than the vast majority of other formats.

The only shitstorm is that you have no idea what 'ironically' means you faggot.

guess i'm Chinese now

Hang on. How does Naya get "I almost had you" from a combination of "master race", "poor", and "women"? Seriously, none of this makes any sense.

Booster packs weren't designed for draft until Mirage, but you're right about everything else.

It's b8.

>As many ultra strong cards as possible
Do you only know how to build goodstuff?

Besides that, I have about 9 different EDH decks all varying in power level and strategy and I never get any shit.

It's just trying to get a rise out of people.

Although honestly if I was to attribute "I almost had you" to a color combination it's the fucking RUG players.

"I almost had you! [If you hadn't killed me the turn before I drew enough pieces to try my combo!]"

"I almost had you! [If you hadn't been sitting on that removal for when I played my obvious haymaker monster]!"

"I almost had you! [If you hadn't baited my counterspells and then played your combo when I tapped out drawing more!]"

"I almost had you! [If Riku of Two Reflections worked that way, which it FUCKING DOESN'T SO NO YOU DIDN'T, CLYDE]"