What pagan religion would make for the best campaign setting?

What pagan religion would make for the best campaign setting?

>Greek mythology
>petty, manlike gods that regularly interfere with the affairs of mortals for shits and giggles

Not even a contest.

all of them. Im a fan of norse crossed with greek. The Vanar join forces with olympus. The Aesir are pissed, its a whole big mess.

Indian mythology is pretty cool, though I've heard that Indian god powerlevels go into some crazy bullshit that mortals can not comprehend.

Overdone. So overdone. Greek mythology is the bread and butter of Western fantasy. Try something new. The Ramayana and the Mahabharata are fascinating. If you're uncomfortable with straying that far, do some Egyptian mythology. Or find a Native American tribe with some great oral legends and use those. Speaking of Native Americans, did you know that the Inuit worshipped a goddess named Sedna? She was on a boat, and someone (her father or a jealous suitor; the stories differ) threw her overboard. When she clung to the side of the boat, he cut off her fingers. She sank to the bottom of the ocean, and her fingers became all the creatures of the waters. She is normally placid, but when her hair gets knotted and oily she becomes enraged, and a shaman must descend to the depths with an comb made out of bone to soothe her and comb out her hair.

That said, your players may not be familiar with Greek mythology. In that case, go for it. But most people were taught about Zeus and his constantly expanding list of sexual conquests, and there's a vast world of fascinating stories out there.

Honestly I'd say that actual Mediterranean mythology is underused compared to Germanic mythology and general Western European mythology with Eastern Europe mixed in to a lesser extent.

There were plenty of interesting empires along the Mediterranean that didn't have anything to do with Athens, but their mythology still gets classified as Greek mythology so you could explore those as well.

Except we aren't telling stories, we are creating adventures. And the better setting is the one that best facilitates that.

Not really pagan, but Esoteric Kekism.

The PCs play a bunch of weeaboo neets who are waging guerilla warfare to bring down the state in the name of Kek. Make it gritty and hyper realistic. Highlights include

>Stringing politicians from lamp posts with Pepe masks on their faces
>Psy ops where you invade universities and other liberal spaces to spread memes
>Shitposting irl
>Forming right wing death squads
>Meme magic with an actual system

One religion for each major race.

Norse for humans, Greek for Elves and so on.

Good lord, no. Enough elves and dwarves. Why do people want to shove elves and dwarves in every single fantasy setting?

Greek mythology kinda breaks down in RPGs because the majority of monsters are just 1 of and are heavily tied to an iconic story.

By changing any part of Greek myth in any major way you lose a lot of what make monsters and individuals meaningful.

Get over yourself.

I still think you can have some fun adventures even if in order to make things work you're basically just roleplaying bad Homer fanfiction.

Tables on how to make your own unique monster?

Because people like elves and dwarves.

I prefer Orthodox Kekism myself.

What about the "setting" of Greek mythology makes it more conducive to adventures than any other legendarium? Sure, Charibdys and the sirens will drown you, but there are kappas who will drown you in Japan, selkies who will drown you in the British isles, las lloronas who will drown you in the Southwestern US...

If you're worried about how many different mobs you'll have available, God only knows how many spirits and ancestors and demons Shinto has for the taking.

If anything, the greek mythos is plagued with overpowered dickheads that you can't beat and that love to fuck everything up forever.

It would essentially need to be bad homer fanfiction.

It would also require the players to know nothing about Greek myth.

Sumeria's religion, cuz I only see Enlil there.

>rolling replicating numbers gets you crits

Now that's thinking with memes.

Mesoamerican underworld is pretty metal. The entrance is at caves, and the afterlife is like Hell.

>"And then they fucked": the mythos
Greeks obviously.

One of the most epic indian heroes can shatter universes in a single attack and literally has armor that makes flat out immortal. In the "Can't ever die." sense.

Best setting.

I think it would be interesting if they were all real in the setting with each pantheon ruling over the land that contains the most of their followers.

>all myths, legends, and deities are true

Are we including the ones that folks still believe in?

YHWH is OP, pls nerf

Nah, he's a pussy ass faggot.

Tengri.

Your party must conquer everything beneath the Eternal Blue Sky.

Lucifer go away, nobody like you.

Yog-sototh, Azazoth and Nyarlatoteph say hi. Tell me how can YHVH be stronger than these guys? Hell, Satan is on par with YHVH in the same mythos, and Satan is just an angel. The most OP being in judeochristianity is fucking METATRON

Can Achilles beat Karna?

>le greek is too mainstream for me you need 2 make ur mythology DIVERSE

dude shut the fuck up

there's a reason that western culture has looked backed to the greeks and their stories, art, architecture, political concepts, and science have never died even after TWO THOUSAND years.

I bet if you were around in the 15th century when botticelli was painting his venus, one of the greatest and most treasures works of art of all time, you would have been like "dude its FOURTEEN-EIGHTY, greek mythology is so overdone, why dont you add some AFRICANS to your art LOL!!"

You triggered?

>Hell, Satan is on par with YHVH in the same mythos
>The most OP being in judeochristianity is fucking METATRON
Did you watch an episode of Supernatural once or what?

wew

No, I just have a functional knowledge of the kabbalah

Use weaponized autism to dox or gain info, hear rumors etc.
Exploit memetic weaknesses in people, like muh humane rounds for fudds, biological priviledge with de esjaydubyas.
Actual combat is do or die.
Characters are a collection of perks granted in their backstory/gameplay, which grant bonuses.

YHVH "made" Metatron dude. His powerlevel's lower.

>Satan is literally just some angel who's job is to test people's piety
>on the same level as Big G himself
Okay my dude

yeah I'm triggered because millennials have this shit idea in their head that novelty and """""uniqueness""""" are more important than making something that's GOOD (in all fields of art)

Metatron made himself using the secret teachings of the kabbalah. Then he locked himself away for good because he's too OP for anything. Metatron is Azazoth tier

>The Talmud states, it was proved to Elisha that Metatron could not be a second deity by the fact that Metatron received 60 "strokes with fiery rods" to demonstrate that Metatron was not a god, but an angel, and could be punished.
Doesn't seem like he's more powerful than the big guy

l-lewd

Unknown Armies?

>norse, greek/roman, slavic/finlandic and egyptian pantheons, and their respective crumbling and dying empires, vs. a united abrahamic empire, currently led by not only the true prophet, but the son of Yahweh. his name, joseph smith the "old gods" must fight for survival, and united against a common enemy, they select champions to fight for them.

Celtic, Greek, and Norse.

When a large part of the religion or oral traditions of that religion involve stories of adventures of those gods or their relatives then it'll make for a good setting.

The Talmud is jewish propaganda. It's a known fact that (((they))) are servants of the demiurge and that (((they))) want to subjugate and oppress the peoples of Earth.

>Taoism/Buddhism
Journey to the West novel is literally a campaign
Dragonball even got in on the fucking act

Says the guy whose got a boner for double secret kyke-magics. (Not fiery rod guy.)

Romans > Greeks

You kabbalah isn't jewish. It's universal. It can be applied to anything.

Kind of like Esperanto?

>kabbalah isn't jewish. It's universal. It can be applied to anything.
You can't fool me, Schlomo

Shinto has a lot of non-unique monsters to fight. That could be interesting.

go away, /pol/. aren't you supposed to be at a synagogue studying for your conversion?

The day Moloch won

>Trips affirm double trips