At 12:00pm GMT, frequenters of Veeky Forums living in that time zone...

At 12:00pm GMT, frequenters of Veeky Forums living in that time zone, heard an ominous message in an unnatural and inhuman seeming voice; and no one else could hear it. That message said simply, "one hour". Some instinctively gathered supplies and equipment, not knowing exactly to expect. Despite the warnings, and the vague sense that they would be leaving earth as the hour passed, others panicked and refused to accept the message. At 1:00pm GMT, everyone that had used the website in the last three months was removed from the planet earth in bright flashes of light. In each time zone, as clocks struck 12:00pm, identical events took place. Once those on the eastern United States disappeared, the rest of the world began to believe.

You're one of these people, you've been given the carrying capacity of 90.00 Kilos or half of that plus one other human being that you personally can reach within the time. What do you bring with you? Who do you bring with you? How do you survive?

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=alien world
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Lenore
docs.google.com/document/d/1QGcaoEINJhvWtrIa8vY71C0tB2sQq5ghz9VvwPqRgEM/edit?pli=1#
docs.google.com/document/d/11FqG6hvEr_so3QfbxAV4ZzeTJncks_UZNdTuivFsF80/edit#heading=h.fd11slb1ryhl
docs.google.com/document/d/170WFYkjgC5fA4X1747VRZjbF4TjWDNmtR2CxHNJaH1s/edit?pli=1#
4shared.com/file/l8aKEJo3ca/Lenore_4.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No matter what particular time they left earth, the members began to reappear in waves upon an alien world. The members were organized by the board they were most attached to, if they cared for none of them, they simply were clumped with whatever board they most visited. Each board had a unique starting area of roughly 150 to 250 square miles and grew with each wave. Only 5% of a board's total population was in the first. These were mostly in large bands placed far apart from one another, though there were always stragglers. The next waves started small, adding 1.25% of the board's total population to the area in smaller bands then before. The next was 1.6%, after that, 1.9%, and so on spreading further and further out. This resulted in frequent power struggles as fresh technology, people and resources clashed with establish power structures forming in the wastes of alien ruins. The capabilities of the people in each wave varied wildly as people from all walks of life found themselves in both unknown and dangerous territory as the world was cultivated by humankind.

The land populated by the denizens of the Traditional Gaming board known as Veeky Forums, is a harsh, wooded, jungled and mountainous region filled alien ruins, dangerous beasts, deadly diseases and drenching weather. To the west lies a vast wooded area, dark and foreboding. To the east, the ocean, and perhaps other humans. To the north, a foreboding mountain range. And finally, to the south, plains and marshland. The largest settlement formed in ruins near a river high in the hills where the winds are fierce and strong

It has been one year since the first wave arrived, and much has been learned but more is needed. You've struggled and fought and killed your fellow man at times. But three settlements now dot the land along with an outpost by the sea. the Battle of Cadia is over. The fourth wave is underway.

All the people who would have made this interesting and fun have been driven away by your no-fun-allowed overlords and crybabies.

Good luck.

so why not contribute yourself?

this isn't the place for this type of thread, you're more likely to find people here:

>not liking OC
the planet Veeky Forums threads weren't even quests. you're part of the cancer that's killing Veeky Forums. or is this place /Traditional games General/ now?

Holy crap! We need /tgg/! And /tgr/, for games made before, I dunno, 1900?
Anyways, I ran here from /x/. Got real tired of getting succed by succubi and killed by skinwalkers.

I liked the setting, but let's be honest the only part of it that would ever be developed, and the only one that was developed, was the Veeky Forums section because we are the guys who like writing settings.

Glory to Koganusan.

I like this.
I'm a Newfag though so what's this about?

It was a setting from 2011 that had a lot of writefaggotry.
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=alien world
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Lenore
Ignore everything starting with World of Lenore. Things started getting silly and moving too fast at that point (mary sue-ish Butterroot Keep and /b/tards worshiping chaos, I'm looking at you)

also, as a newfag, didn't your lurking period involve reading sup/tg/?

Time to lurk more.

/x/ seems pretty far.

I didn't necessarily mean that lurking should involve reading almost all of the sup/tg/ archives, I mostly just wanted to make sure that you spent some of your lurking time there. I mean, I personally read much of it(and much of 1d4chan), but looking back, lurking for 2-3 years(and this ended 5 years ago, so they were much smaller then) is probably a bad idea.

Holllleeeeeee shit people still remember this?

True.
I'll read a bit I suppose.

This map doesn't make sense! It has boards from multiple timelines.

the older stuff is pretty good, though I also am puffing my own pipe at that as I helped write...a lot of it. Actually let me dig around I might still have fauna Pdfs tucked somewhere on my computer come to think of it.

Neato.

>Living in a fantasy world version of /pol/

Have some old links.
docs.google.com/document/d/1QGcaoEINJhvWtrIa8vY71C0tB2sQq5ghz9VvwPqRgEM/edit?pli=1#

docs.google.com/document/d/11FqG6hvEr_so3QfbxAV4ZzeTJncks_UZNdTuivFsF80/edit#heading=h.fd11slb1ryhl

docs.google.com/document/d/170WFYkjgC5fA4X1747VRZjbF4TjWDNmtR2CxHNJaH1s/edit?pli=1#

It was updated from this one.

As much as I liked Lenore, I think it has been run dry, at least in the wave era.

>tfw when you contributed to over a dozen threads, including map updates, created your own village and faction, took the effort to reach out to other authors to include their stuff in your fluff, drawn art, and even participated on irc, and still, none of the documents and stuff mentions you or your faction.

feels bad man

Oh, nevermind Dragonfire Keep is in there!

I like how the symbol lived on and became Veeky Forums official one.

Hey 008, I just read Stranded in Fantasy like a week ago and I guess this is a good chance to tell you: top fucking notch m8. I can't believe I actually was in the original thread as it happened but lost interest before the first caravan trip.

Also loved your Lenore background stuff, shame the setting never picked up with other writers developing the world outside of Veeky Forumsland.

I assume that almost everyone is a rational person who would bring things with them to ensure their own survival. I, however, am apathetic regarding my life, and my thoughts go like this:

Knowing that there are ca/tg/irls, it would follow that that future generations would exist where ever it is we'd be going, and thus civilization would continue beyond us. It is obvious then what I should bring.

I grab my calculus and physics textbooks, history books, notebooks, paper, my laptop, tools in my garage, and some copper wire from my college's research lab (which is 15 minutes away from home) and put them in a suitcase. I carry a fireplace poker and cellphone around with me. Nuts, hygiene shit, and water bottles go in my backpack.

I fucking hated how eventually people put actual living Builders in the setting. I think it made the world lose a lot of the initial creepiness of having their entire race disappear without a trace and without explanation ever, save for some gorilla-like "cousin species."

It was interesting how it seemed like our own mini rapture to colonize the world paled in comparison to a much more apocalyptic rapture on their end, and never having it explained made it all the sweeter, but having remnants of the people there just made it look... mundane, like maybe they just had a near total exctinction for some reason instead of something more, esoteric, happening.

I mean the OP is cranking the clock back to Wave 4 which means a lot of shit didn't happen that said one of the long term goals was eventually to have this be a playable game.
forgive the formatting by the by.

And Im seriously wondering what the fuck I was smoking when I picked that font.

>Rapedactyls are closer to Tortolos than Yowlers

It's like learning about hippos' evolutionary relatives all over again.

Yeah, that was problematic, though Builders were never really extinct, they were just on the other continent. They aren't something we would have come across, not in this generation anyways.

There was a lot of crazy shit that happened, like the whole Fedoran fiasco. I like to think that some of the wilder shit during that war was just propaganda on both sides and in reality it was just a bunch of skirmish battles.

Thanks. I ran a Stranded campaign awhile back that came out pretty well, but most of my notes from that were lost in a catastrophic HD failure. I also partially wrote a prequel about the first Terran arrivals but never put it up anywhere and it's sitting incomplete somewhere.

I actually had a large set of hand drawn Cladograms at one point or another. In reality Tortolos are their own lineage not unlike Squamates are on Earth but yeah they're closer than one would think. There also was going to be a group of basically Sauropod analogs in the same group. I need to sit down and actually re-type all of that shit honestly.

Hey, wasn't someone writing some far future Lenore fic?

I think it was just a short story here and there actually. It was fucking weird though wasn't it? Like knights and shit?

How much development was there for the boards outside of Veeky Forums? All I can remember is /x/-philes being thrown into an area of great chasms with a creepy eldritch machine at the very bottom, /trv/ havins some sailships right besides Veeky Forums, and I think /k/ going pseudo roman.

It's kinda weird that we never got even concepts of how /v/, /a/ or /co/ would look.

>the whole Fedoran fiasco

Wait what? Mind filling me in here?

I think There was stuff for /diy/ and /out/ as they ended up basically being lizard horse riding warlords.

You know it'd be stuffed with self hating quadroons and hapas, right?

The Fedorans were another Veeky Forums empire to the south made up of all the worst of people. They enacted slavery and ran wild with all the worst fetishes. Launched a few attacks on Kog confederacy cities and the Radio war broke out and the whole thing kind of petered out in the middle of a huge war march.

I chalk it up to people just kinda going 'that's not Lenore' I mean hell the game had a solid three/four years of worldbuilding with little to no real conflict between people.

So, ok this is gonna sound nuts and I'm pretty sure its been tried a few times already and petered out but, guys. GUYS what if we turn this into a goddamned actual dice and paper kinda game? One that's all about exploring the Alien wilderness, Ruins left by a forgotten race and trying to not be eaten by /b/?

Aside from the chaos cults (why would fa/tg/uys worship fictional characters?), it was fine until the thread archived as "world of Lenore". The writefags that started there forgot what the setting was about, so there was cannibal keep for the sake of letting that writefag be heroic (ignoring that everyone here pre wave 4 was from Veeky Forums), butterroot keep building itself up to the same level as kog in a month, just for the sake of being just as relevant. /b/ started worshipping chaos for the sake of 40k. As a result, the setting went from grim/grimbright to nobeldark/noblebright, and all the developments were sped up.

Also, it may be that you don't have a sense of scale. Veeky Forums should probably be the size of New York, at least.

I think it was pegged around the size of Colorado I forget. All that said, its a fucking big continent.

Meaning that the original threads all took place in the north east of Veeky Forums. So there's a lot of our region, even if we're considering the fedoran empire, that is still unexplored.

Also, was there ever any decision about how children would be educated, and earth knowledge preserved?

If I remember correctly, Koganusan was organizing on a system of guilds, so it wouldn't surprise me if when the time comes they'd develop a general education guild to take care of children's elementary education so they can join one of the guilds proper once they're out.

Dunno about the keeping of history, but I'd imagine someone among the fa/tg/uys would have the foresight to bring at least one universal history book to keep future generations aware of Earth and prevent the "lost knowledge of their roots" cliche.

We never got far enough to really get into it too much.
The last incarnation of Lenore, I did write from the perspective of one of the first Lenoreborn who had just joined the Rangers, but just assumed he'd have been properly educated. I figure there would be some kind of mass education class since the population of children would be so low and then further education would be done by the guild that they join.

I must have missed that story sadly I'd have love to read it if youve got it still.

Depending on whether or not all first wavers start near the boarder with /b/, it would theoretically be possible to soft reboot the setting, and do another group of settlements in a different area (say, boardering /v/) for the first 4 waves, then connect them with kognasun after the battle of cadia.

4shared.com/file/l8aKEJo3ca/Lenore_4.html

It's only about 12 entries plus an intro

Yeah I mean Veeky Forums is pretty huge even with rivers to travel on its gonna be a hike to get anywhere really. I think Veeky Forums has all of three maintained roads?

This user again, if anyone is up for it let me know I might start rambling off ideas and see what sticks. For example one of the big themes of the game is travel. I'll very likely steal a little bit of Ryuutamas mechanics such as the Condition mechanic.

Man, this ended just when we began industrializing. I had some good stuff about industry ready when it ended.

I actually didnt mind seeing musket appear on the scene they proved to be dangerous enough to actually make sense.

Go for it.

thanks,
So, lets get to it. The best way I think to start is to consider the themes we, as players and GMs want out of this sort of thing and how much crunch would best suit the setting.
In my personal view the big themes of the game are:
>Exploration of the planet, and thus traveling around it.
>Building gear and keeping it in good repair.
>Straight up survival
>building communities.

So, with those laid out I guess the next big question is how crunchy should we go. Personally I think D6s with pretty laid back systems and rules would be fine. Something not super rooted in statistics but should be fairly skill based when it comes to character interactions.

Something that 008 and others only mentioned in passing which is pretty important is searching for resources, and mining. Stuff like iron, tin, gold, copper, and silver won't be found just anywhere. Spain was known by the romans to be rich in silver (or was it iron?). Prospecting would be a big thing that would be necessary. This is also why I think may have happened too quickly.

True I imagine you can streamline it to a bit and roll that into Community really though things like hunting food and gathering medicines should be a part of the game.

We had people already talking about how they were mining stuff before I got there. I just worked to expand the process.

True I think it was more the large scale production of stuff which you never really did. But its been years since I read the threads.

I almost think this kind of game would great as a good old fashioned hexcrawl.

>a mechanic for randomly finding car parts in the middle of nowhere, all for the same vehicle.

That's actually just the entire point of the game, rebuild a car while fighting alien beasts and cultists.

Other than Stranded in Fantasy, what else have you written? Stranded is one of my favorite pieces of writing and I'm always looking for new shit to read.

What I bring
>9mm handgun and 2 magazines of ammunition
>knife
>500 feet of nylon rope
>bottle of rum
>bottle of whiskey
>... second bottle of rum
>about a week's worth of those mountain house preserved food things, so about 21 pouches of the junk
>compass
>thin hoodie
>thick winter jacket
>shoes
>hiking boots
>work pants
>5 shirts and 5 pairs of boxers
>a bigger knife
>2 liters bottled water
>large backpack to put most of it in

That should be well under the 90kilo/200lbs limit. Honestly I think I'd just try to find a small cave or other natural hiding spot and make a camouflaged little den out of it by covering the entrance trap door spider-style. First priority would be making a bow and arrows - my gun is nice but it's loud and I can't make more ammunition easily. From there I'd just try to live quietly and away from other people as best I could.

Good thread though, OP.

That's not uncommon, though the planet itself is somehting of a treat does anyone have the info on it still?

Lenore and Stranded were the two that I finished, there's also Rosenbridge, the Stranded prequel which is probably half done but has been sitting for a few years, and I was briefly working on a project about a group of people stuck on a derelict alien ship set to automatic to hop from planet to planet abducting "samples", but wrote myself into a corner.

Well, you could do it with Savage Worlds. Well, if you really hated yourself anyways.

Bump

I actually started working on a savage world conversion....its rough but Ill toss it up to see what people think if they want.

You know the one thing I really like about all this was all the goddamn animal descriptions. It breathed a lot of life into the world and what was more they weren't just monsters to be killed. Why dont more settings do that?

And here have this clusterfuck, let me know what you think and post it here so I can see it when I go on lunch from work.

Bump

That's a hell of a...thing you got there.

Hey, this is pretty good.

Anything that sticks out thats in need of work?

One thing I will say that needs changing is Im going to redo how carrying capacity works, in particular I'll probably rip it out of Degenesis and use that more abstracted approach.

008 if you see anything that sticks out please post it, I kinda need feed back to actually refine what I have and expand it. That goes for anyone else looking at the PDF as well.

Nothing immediately sticks out.
For Stress recovery, you could add in Journal Writing or Listening to music (at cost of batteries) or playing music if they have the appropriate skills and an instrument.

Speaking of that, battery/recharging mechanic, or would that be too petty?

Are you going to do crafting skills or is that handled separately?

For Encounters, need more stumbling onto corpses with and without gear, maybe coming across a fresh newwaver that's completely unprepared and won't leave you alone, finding completely impractical objects like a 42 inch tv or a sack of movie dvd's.

Cooking should have a random Jitterbug mechanic, maybe. Where you can make a meal that looks good but it'll fuck you up for the rest of the day.

At work but, crafting is coming the rest I'lleexplain in like five hours?0

pdf bump

Ok Im back-ish there will be crafting as I said earlier, and actually a settlement mechanic as well that's currently just waiting on my lazy ass to type up. I had honestly forgot about the whole 'jitterbug meal' thing but a quick and dirty and mishap table should suffice where on a d6 a one means the food looks kosher but puts you through that most special of wringers. The encounter deck does need some work definitely I was usually doing them half awake as for Batteries what I might do is electronic or battery powered devices roll their durability die every use, if its a one its running low on charge and goes a step down till it hits a d4 at which point a 1 means its dead or broken.

Does cooking seem overly complicated out of curiosity as that will act as the basis for the crafting mechanics.

So, big question guys. What do we want to see statted critter wise? Like how in depth do we need to go do we think?

Cooking seems alright, though I can see spoiling and degradation are going to be mildly annoying to keep track of, yet necessary for the feel. Maybe make it optional, as it'll turn away some people.

Critters, well, we need their combat stats of course, how edible they are, what materials can be harvested from them and if they can be trained. Maybe throw in something in the description for the future science guild field-zoologists.

Asking for writefaggotry: was there any decision on Lenore's gravity and radius compared with Earth's?

>deleted because not clear question
Asking so that I can write something: was there any decision on Lenore's gravity and radius compared with Earth's?

Lenore is very earthlike, the air is a little thick(half an atmo) and the gravity is around the same it might be slightly more the post below has the info for the planet we'd be the third.

sounds good, this is still an early draft either way. and yeah descriptions will come with time, there also will be a few unique 'critter perks' like meaty that mean an animal gives more meat for example.

>And /tgr/, for games made before, I dunno, 1900?
That's what this board is supposed to be.

Make an /rpg/ for roleplaying games.

>From Kognusan's science guild's first physics publication
**A First Approximation of Planets's Physical Properties: Radius, Gravity, and Mass**
By [physics team]
Published: Day 373 - Wave 3 Day 14 - Local Year 1? 0?

Abstract:
Future physical measurements will require values for the planet’s (informally known as Lenore) physical properties. In these experiments, we measured the planet’s radius and gravitational acceleration to a first order approximation, and then used this information to calculate the planet’s mass. The radius (6819 km - 1.1 Earth radii) was calculated at the ocean coast by measuring the time between sunsets standing up or lying down to find the planet’s curvature (assuming a perfect sphere). The gravitational acceleration g_l(~10.53 m/s^2 - 1.1g_e’s) was measured by dropping a rock from the highest point at Cadia. Finally, we found the planet’s mass M_L(7.3E34 kg - 1.228 M_E’s) by solving Newton's law of universal gravitation for mass. Upon contact with Veeky Forums, we will corroborate our findings.

and Im now picturing guys across what amounts to Veeky Forumsland dropping rocks off of towers while trying to not get eaten by rape-dactyls.

It isn't relevant to include in the abstract, but the physicists would have ranger escorts to ward them off.

Also, would the first 534/535 days be year 1 or year 0?

I believe it was year one? that might be a better 008 question though.

running this as the new carrying capacity rules; thoughts?
Encumbrance:
Encumbrance can be viewed as a simplified carrying capacity. It removes the need for exact weights and instead gives items a certain amount of encumbrance that eats up capacity for a character. A characters maximum encumbrance is equal to their STRENGTH and VIGOUR dice added together. So, if a character has a Strength die of D8 and a Vigour of D6 it means they have a max Encumbrance of 14, which means they can carry up to 14 encumbrance without penalty. Should they go over that they suffer a minus one in all actions in combat and all checks involving agility. At Double this increases to minus two and at triple they are effectively unable to move. Gear and certain perks can increase the amount of carrying capacity a character has. To reiterate;
>Carrying capacity is a number based off the total sum of your Strength and Vigour.
>Having up to your capacity is no penalty.
>Having more than your capacity inflicts a -1 penalty on all your agility skills, and combat actions.
>Having Twice or more than your Capacity increases this to a -2
>Having Triple your capacity or more immobilizes you.
>Certain Gear such as Back-packs and harnesses allow your to carry more capacity, they will have their own limit in their description. You need only count the encumbrance of the item itself.

does finding a mazda part increase or decrease stress?

I think it only increases stress if you're 008