>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.me/5eg

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Worldbuild/premise before or after players tell you what they want to play?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12550821
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

strawpoll.me/12550821

So, this poll has the favourites from the last series of polls. It's multiple choice, so choose your favourites – preferably your favourite three but it's ultimately up to you how many you choose.

And keep in mind, the final results of this poll don't mean anything.

Remember, 4e is a viable game, and at the very least, the DMG has a lot of good general advice on how to run RPGs sadly absent in the 5e DMG.

After they tell you what kind of campaign they want to play

Before they tell you what manner of Dragonborn Mystic/Wizard/Fighter they plan on playing

Is it better to find anime images that fit your character concept, or create a character concept around anime images

Fuck off, 4rrie.

4e question
would there be any point to multiclassing lvl 14/15 lvl warlord to a paladin? I need a second opinion

I would never play 4e again.

Howeverrrr, I would steal a lot of 4e concepts and shove them into 5e.

>4e
>multiclassing

>>>/4eg/

Right, I DM 5e, and I homebrew the fuck out of it to be more like 4e, because that makes it more fun.

5e has the superior framework for class design, but the classes built with that framework are pretty lackluster, due to 5e's emphasis on boring combat.

I know mang
it looks so confusing on paper but is there anything I can actually gain

Fuck. Repostain just in case because truth needs to be told.

Swashbuckler is just 'Rogue: Easy mode'.

That's why people like it. It's melee rogue (Which everyone wants to play even though it's usually worse) except made easy, rather than having to faff about understanding AT and then taking the mobile feat and all of that.

Also the flavour is great and the fact it uses another stat (Charisma) is kind of interesting, even if it barely uses it.

>/5eg/ Discord

Stop that.

no

That's why you homebrew cool and crazy enemies while also giving your players cool and whacky enchanted weapons.

It is best to have never animed at all.

>anime elf miners
Acceptable

I'm making a halfling Diviner for maximum rerolling. Only problem is, I've never rolled up a Wizard before.
What are the worthwhile cantrips and spells that I should keep an eye on?

Sleep, Hold Person/Monster, Banishment, Fireball, Delayed Fireball, Shocking Grasp, Polymorph, Fly, Slow

firebolt

Make sure to get the lucky feat for even more rerolling

so what are the best Mystic "Builds" thus far? I really like how customizable the class is

I'm going to play an Immortal (or soulknife, currently undecided) with the teleporting discipline, past that I dunno what to do

i double this and nice digits

Why?

So I have a character with the Keen Mind Feat, a Druid specifically. What are some ways to put that photographic memory to good use? So far I've considered having her take really detailed, meticulous notes, which would help greatly with any encounter the party faces before.

But it's a lot of work for me and the DM.

>DM is giving our cleric 2 domains because "clerics are underpowered"

Compared to what? A CoDzilla?

Pick the two most metagamey domains my dude. Be the monster he should fear.

Before.

Make sure to have several ready and then ask players to pick one.

Best case to make them part of the same multiverse so you can give them a legit use for planeshift.

Images that fit concept. Never build a character based on an image.

Although seriously, probably just avoid anime character portraits altogether. Less autists chimping out that way.

How often does anyone use any of these metabuilds? And how do people react to them?

Has anyone here used a Nuclear Druid, or a Lore Master/Sorcerer Mile long Touch spell build, or anything like that?

half the people in /5eg/ dont even own a PHB, let alone play the game

Game breaking removes the immersion. Might as well not use books and write down whatever effects you want on your character sheet.

honestly I don't visit any dnd forums, just Veeky Forums
I never learn about such things existing beyond my own seldom minmaxing attempts

I hope not.

Even as someone who talks about this shit and optimizing all the time, that's kind of also because there's no point in talking about how to create backstories all day.

The real question is how often people do things like use PAM on paladins when it's clearly the best option, because that's a matter of optimization of something someone might actually decide to play (Any paladin).

What are your guys's favorite spells to pick for College of Lore Bards' Additional Magic Secrets?

Also, a few caveat questions involving that trait:

1. When the Bard levels up and has the opportunity to trade out a spell they know for a new one, would you as a DM allow them to trade a spell they took for Additional Magic Secrets?

2. On a similar vein, if a player is creating a new Bard at, say, level 10, would they be able to pick higher-level spells for Additional Magic Secrets as they have higher level spell slots at level 10? Or would you limit them to spells that they would have access to when they get the trait (level 6)?

I'd say the best way to understand any build you might create is to understand all the potentially OP pieces.

There are some clear 'builds' though:
Avatar Mystic + Mastery of Force + Iron Durability + Bestial Form = 24 AC, up to 31 on reaction per point spent
Animate Weapon + Lethal Strike + Knock Back = single target nova

The rest are just the most notable, and efficient things you can do:
Incite Panic requires 3 saves to end, targets 8 people, and on each failed save they either run in a random direction, or hit a random target in range. This costs 5.
Detonate does 7d6 for 5, and knocks prone.
Wall of Wood has 100 HP for 3.
Soothing Presence gives 3 temp HP to 3 targets per point spent. It's massively efficient, and is a bonus action.
Aura of Victory shuts down mooks hard.
Psychic Assault has gauranteed damage, the strongest AoE of the class, and a slightly weaker AoE that stuns.
Hammer of Inquisition can set up an Incite Fear/Panic, or get them ready for Hold Person.
Occluded Mind for ebin kys commands.

There's a lot more out of combat stuff, and even in combat stuff than this.

I'm playing a PAM battlemaster fighter with tunnel fighter, and I feel like an ass doing so, but it's so good.

I built before and then just adapted some encounters and built their back stories into the world.

As a DM I use them, actually. I like to show my players what the game is capable of, usually as terrifying opponents. So for new players I'll have enemies, hide, or dodge. For higher level experienced players...
Well, Bugbearmont was a terrifying experience for them.
I plan on introing a Nuke Druid as an opponent ( a formidable lizardman general of an army of various mob races, who was a druid in the woods for a long time until he was blessed in an old temple to a fading goddess of magic, and realized he could soup up his bolts with the power of the land itself) by having it blow an Ancient Chromatic Dragon the party was counting on out of the sky, and then letting them search for or figure out all they need is Shield.

Also, if they pay attention to the lore of the setting and dig enough, they'll find a blurb about how the Thing from Space that threatened the world (Spelljammer reference, and high level dungeon below the ocean with Sci Fi stuff) was taken out by a flying, flaming catman ramming it (Fastbaxi legendary hero, who can be summoned by the players as a quest of they ever get to epic levels and have to deal with something like a god)

>Mile long Touch
READ NIGGA READ
STANDART RANGE HAS TO BE AT LEAST 30FT

Anyone want to hear my last session's story?

>Metamagic
>If you cast a spell that has the range of touch, you can spend one metamagic point to extend it's range to 30 ft

It's fucking Veeky Forums. Of course.

>Enemies with class levels everywhere
>Showing your players that using meme builds is totally possible and fine
>Your campaign is full of Veeky Forums memes

spill the beans you homosexual

still getting used to this place. Tell a story on Veeky Forums and they chastise you for making a personal blog. All right, here it goes. I'll continue on until I say the story's over.

Myself (Sorcerer), Barbarian and Fighter entered an estate as part of our quest. There's also a Ranger and a Warlock, but they hit their head too hard (they were absent) and weren't there to join us. DM's really good at making modifying encounters on the go at least. Basically, we're trying to find a tree that this woman from years ago is buried under, which is now where this estate is. She seems to be trying to kill us, but so far we've seen multiple beings claim to be her. Couple that with how the history lesson we learned seem to make her out to be a good gal and we're just stumped. We enter the estate, with a giant barrier around it. The first thing I noticed was that my spells were acting a bit... off. Firebolts seemed to be cold and disappeared, Light created darkness and Mage Hand was as the DM described it, "an ethereal snake-like tube that shot forwards". Pretty sure this was a "lets keep the spellcasters tame for a while" session. Nothing wrong with that, I still have my 16 AC, daggers and crossbow. I really do steal the show a lot anyway. Most of the time inside the estate was spent looting, investigating and chatting with this wimpy servant that's missing a tongue. I made off with a couple silk dresses. Hey, silk sells well. One square yard is 10 gold. I could also wear it for maximum RP effect, but never-mind that.

Amidst the hanging corpses of the family that once lived there, we found a sycamore tree in the middle of a pond outside. Now, we're in a fucking desert so obviously something is off here. Pretty sure its the same tree. Also there's a spooky ghost twirling around a branch, like its been hung. Hanged? Bitch be dead.

are you from compton?

So a bit of lore here and there gets taught to us. She has all these aspects of herself that someone else is controlling, blah blah blah, there's these jars by her feet and we're pretty sure they're connected to them. Two jars are broken, and we've killed two aspects of her. One was a mummy, the other was some witch or something that the crew did without me. (I only joined on the second session onwards, but I haven't missed any. Not like the Ranger and Warlock). Two jars look the same, and sure enough there's two evil twins about as well. We make the connection that the White jar is most likely her, as in what we see in front of us. I try to break a red jar, thinking I'll end up killing the twins instead. They nearly killed me before and I'm still salty about it. (We had to spend a few minutes deciding if a mindless parasite would rather go after an active, but wounded person (me), or an unconscious, but healthhy one (The Barbarian). Thankfully they went for the Barb and nothing bad happened). Of course the main enemy of the session, a Wight and a Black Sludge show up. We're trying to discern this puzzle with these jars, careful not to break them in the incorrect order.

After a few turns of my ally's armor melting away and me laughing at the corrosion effects, the sludge finally dies. Now onto the Wight. The fighter is resorting to longbow attacks while I'm in melee rage with daggers. Barbarian is grappling the Wight, who just won't seem to die. Keeps recovering its health. Its probably not a wight, but we don't look up stats. We're just given descriptions, and try to maintain character as we figure shit out. DM sometimes gives beast/monster hints to the Ranger and Fighter based on things they may have heard about/faced during their outlander days. Warlock knows a bit more about Demons than the rest of us. I know nothing because I made pots for a living before I discovered I can shoot fire out of my fingers. HARDCORE SHIT.

No

>My campaign is a Veeky Forums meme

Wight makes two attack rolls as he tries to kick me. Lands a hit, and a 1. This is when I use Shield and learn about the BIZARRO WORLD effects of this place, as I lost 5 AC instead of gaining it. Yeah, magic has opposite effects in this place. As for the 1? We value it as a crit miss. My DM has nat 20s be crits, but nat 1s are disastrous. They'll always hit... just not the enemy. Rather, it hits the closest thing, prioritizing allies. Closest thing to this guy... were the jars. This fucking worm riddled, brain deformed, pasty skinned bane of beauty products just kicked and broke the white jar. The WRONG jar.

So now there's these spooky hands about to rip the ghost lady to shreds. We've seen this happen before, and its not a happy ending. We need her alive... or at least capable of maintaining some existence on the material plane? Here's where I go full Professor Layton. THIS REMINDS ME OF A PUZZLE.

Its my turn. I doubt the Wight's death will change anything, so its up to me and whatever fucked up spells I have. Team tells me to break the remaining jars, which I just kind of roll with. Realizing that Firebolts are now Icebolts, I figure they'll still work like normal. Just cold. Because I can't stab two fucking pots with two daggers for whatever reason, I need to waste a point twinning shit to break them. That was a bad idea, as whatever creature is trying to rip up spooky lady has sent more hands through. DM asks me if my turn is over. No, I can't leave her like this, I swore to help her! Sure other NPCs have died in our story, but if handy maid over here dies, she'll be the BBEG's slave for eternity. Other than my Neutral Good obsession, she's pretty much the only lead we have and a large source of the BBEG's cult's power. We save her, we break them.

Wasn't your warlock GOO? Why would he know about demons?

Mostly his back history. Do you the warlock from another post? Yeah he's GOO. I guess I meant to say "Abyssal shit". His history check gave some info about this evil book that even my high roll didn't provide.

All right, I figure I just used cantrips. I can still Quicken something... But what? Misty Step? I don't even know what that would do. Probably teleport me into the Astral Plane or something. Mirror Image? I guess that would make physical clones that I could climb on to reach... Which would probably either be hostile or walk all around and do the opposite of what I do. No, no. Wait. What about Haste?

I read over the spell. It adds an extra action (with some catch). But... It ADDS an action. In this backwards, physics breaking, asshole clenching world we're in... Would that mean casting haste on something would remove their action? As in, STOP TIME for the creature? Heck, there's even a part about how the creature needs to be willing. This creature is probably unwilling... Which means its guaranteed to work. Logic.

I have no other options available. I take the shot. I read the effects out loud, followed by what I imagine the "opposite" to be. Everyone starts shouting, the other tables nearby start listening and can't believe the shit they're hearing. They're talking about buying magical items and I'm consulting the team with how I can use ethereal dildos (Mage Hand) to my advantage. What was fucked up by the DM (I can't believe he was about to ruin his own campaign by insisting that crit miss hit the jars) may have just been unfucked by me. Right now, I am postponing fate for one fucking minute. I have no idea what to do next session. Also right after I did that a bunch of ravens gathered in the form of a giant, but that's for the next session. Thunderwave and maybe pull the ghost to me? It usually pushes. What's the opposite of fucking thunder? She's immune to cold... so maybe a fireball/iceball at the hands? I will save her Veeky Forums. End

If you save her you have to make atleast one subtle joke about getting a ghost bj, god speed to you.

What is the overall story of your campaign? From your posts it sounds kinda nuts.

What's the best metamagic for sorcerer? I was going to take twinned spell and quickened spell.

I am multiclassing with 2 levels of warlock too. Does this mean I could cast two eldritch blast in one turn?

Also, what are the limitations on "alien mind", the great old one feature for warlocks? Does the target have to be willing? I can see many shenanigans being done if I can talk into anyone's head telepathically.

Me and some online friends play DnD I've the mic, we're across the country from each other, does anyone have experience with D20pro and if so is it any good?

Thanks m8

Distant and Subtle; Yes; If you mean Awakened Mind, the target doesn't have to be willing since you're having a silent conversation, if you mean Create Thrall, then the humanoid target must be incapacitated when you touch them.

The opposite of haste is the slow spell.

Though not in the same 'you lose 5 AC' sort of bizarro way.

Sun is angry and is trying to kill people. You know how Eclipses tend to be magical and stuff? Well I guess in this world, or wherever the hell we are (When I asked the DM, he just shrugged and said its at least within the D&D cosmology) The sun just likes to turn evil once in a while.

So we're still learning the story, but this is what I know. MANY years ago, the image related happened thanks to the sun. Gates to the lower planes popped up around the country, but the main religious faction were able to shut them down. It was the Church of Death. Not like evil evil death like the name implies, but more of a Buddhist take, how death is just a part of the cycle of life. Anyway, they're good guys.

Anyway, we're now at 200 years ago. Church of Death doesn't seem to be around anymore, but they still operate on a smaller scale. They're now more like a cult, but they're still good and dedicated to stopping. Well, until now.

There's a new church, Church of Light. Life? I dunno. Remember Ghost Lady? She's a part of them. A prophecy was foretold that she would give birth to a GREAT EVIL and start the sun shit all over again. So the cult killed her and convinced people she was evil.

PRESENT DAY. FUCKING SUN JUST TURNED EVIL. Everyone's getting dehydrated, all the food and water is laced with parasites, the population of corpses is at an all time high. Dead people are turned into shadows and used for this evil guy's whims. That Church of Death is now actually bringing about Death. There's also other midbosses, who all seem to claim to be the same person (the aspects I mentioned).

So now, with the help of some NPCs who will turn into Stirges if they don't stop drinking blood, we're trying to get the fuck out of the desert with as many Plot Items as possible. We don't want to be here when the demons pop up.

We were looking at the literal readings of the spell.

>Elvaan Female
The least popular and bitchiest race/sex combination.

Just give em a good hot dicking, normally shuts them up in my experience.

An angry bird happened?

Femraffes are a miracle of the universe, and I don't even like elves

>An Ancient Evil Awakens

Sorry, my oldfag is showing.

So the main bad thing in my setting is the nuclear sins of the past before the unknown apocalypse, but ever figuring that out would require the party to go to a specific place that's very bad and even then they still might not piece it together.

I'm thinking of adding aliens, because at least aliens can show up whenever.

Uh.
What?

What does your character write in their journal?

In XI, there were no female Galkas.

A good hot dicking is basically the closest thing we have to panacea. Alas, a lot of them that I knew were actually dudes or already had a boyfriend they leeched off. I used to cyber back in those days and I got inside a female Elvaan once, then she bailed and we kinda' fell apart after that. Later on, I met a Taru girl who had a boyfriend but liked fooling around with me for some reason when she was bored. I also "dated" a Manthra - until I found out - and a girl(?) who may or may not have been a gil seller from Hong Kong.

I remember a book series doing that, setting was Europe but with magic and they slowly revealed it was in the future of our world and not some fantasy land.

The characters might not understand it but you can put little hints and nudges in for the players to piece it together, or have bunkers be "dungeons" where they can find records.

>dungeons are Vaults

>Be a Cleric with a -1 initiative mod
>Roll 22 initiative
>1 away from coming equal with the +10 intiative rogue and being on top of initiative

WHO NEEDS DEXTERITY
GOTTA GO FAST

Now we're talking, in the series the protagonist's home castle is a parking garage with the gaps sealed. You only find this out because in the catacombs for his family's tomb there is a sign that reads no parking on x days.

Have to admit it was pretty clever, they worked it so it wasn't blatantly obvious, you found out through hints. Best one was finding out another castle was literally a nuke storage facility and leaked enough to make everyone living above it red skinned.

Spin it so the "aliens" are actually people who have lived in these vaults and are coming out now.

Been thinking about DMing a 5e Hexcrawl with the overarching story being waging a guerilla war against an evil empire à la the X-COM reboot.

Drawing blanks on how to make upgrading the base something players would want to do. I don't want buildings to be shit like: forge I, forge II, forge III with each of them giving something mundane as +1. +2. etc....

Any suggestions Veeky Forums?

You could describe aliens like how Deus Ex did, with radioactive test monkeys, only instead of monkeys they're human psionics that can only telepathically express basic emotions and are mute. Also hairless, have various numbers of digits on the hands and feet, are sterile, and lack melanin thanks to genetic mutations.

Make the giant ones have overgrown amygdalae in their brains, making them exceptionally emotional and prone to violence, and are incapable of making bonds with other species due to goldfish-tier memory spans.

I'm doing ye olde "haha the medieval fantasy land isn't the first civilization to develop here and all of its myriad races and enemies are the result of nuclear fallout from a devastating global war that destroyed all trace of civilization" plot.

But since it's really destroyed all civilization and there aren't just a bunch of robot factories underground that have conveniently never been found until now, the odds that the PCs ever stumble across them are slim.

But you've gotta have a twist, and since it's unlikely that one will ever be hit on: ALIENS.

Could make it so it gives benefits to missions they go on, or by having a better base can earn money and attract better merchants.

Better base things could give them access to places to train for feats or parts of them. Ability to recruit people who can do things they can't, as in they need extra spell fire power or someone to help lock down mage users and they can go on the mission with them.

Also could lead to extra fights in defending the base and political intrigue with hosting events and trying to secure allies and resources.

Have an 80 year-old Elon Musk talk to the players after his FTL spacecraft lands back on Earth after traveling around the stars for thousands of years Earth-time while he's only been gone for fifteen. Make him an Artificer for extra laffs.

Iron durability is too expensive on my opinion.

you have better ways of increase ac and/or impose disadvantage for less psipoints.

why haven't you killed yourself yet
I cannot envision how can dying be worse than shitposting this badly for so long

>Dear journal today we killed some monsters who were tougher than the ones before.
>Also totally hit on the person paying us, her husband was not amused.
>If I die and someone reads this burn it

Google: Walrock Homebrew Strongholds and Merchants

Damn, I like this shit. I think I might just ditch my poorly cobbled together google doc and use this instead.

Thanks user.

What series is this from? I really wanna check this out, I love the whole Lost Technology and Humanity's Wake sort of tropes. They have some pretty evocative imagery!

What's the nuclear druid?

If you want the +1 AC, but won't use the reaction, you can take Mastery of Wood and Earth for the Wood Wall.

Circle of Twilight 1st level ability is Harvest Scythe, gain a pool of d10 equal to your Druid level, can spend up to half of these dice to add them to a single damage roll for an attack or spell you cast.

Magic Missile only has 1 damage roll, with all darts dealing the damage rolled.

Arcana Cleric 1/Twilight Druid X has full Wisdom based casting progression, Magic Missile, and X Harvest Scythe dice.

How does official Mystic compare to that homebrew one that kept being posted?

Hell, you can just take the Magic Initiate Feat as a full Druid and it works.

You'd only be able to cast it once a day that way.

No. You can only cast it once, and at it's lowest level that way. The damage comes from being able to do it twice, and multiplied by the maximum number of missiles.

You want to be able to cast it in high level slots, you need the 1 level of Arcana cleric.

Any GM worth a damn is not going to let that fly and god damn well know it.

I know that, you know that, but that doesn't mean I can't explain how the build is supposed to work.

best interesting monster to counter a level 3 mystic ?

>a level 3 mystic
This tells us nothing.
Just make your own monster.
also
>worrying about what a level 3 Mystic can do

Prince of Thorns is the first book in the trilogy.

Big Dick Gunner
1 Million AC
1 Trillion HP
69 in all stats
Action: Shoot machine gun. Roll a d1000. That's how many bullets hit. Each bullet is a lethal wound.
Reaction: It was a hologram: negate anything. You have infinite reactions even though you shouldn't write that trait here.