What is the longest distance a D&D character can run in one round...

What is the longest distance a D&D character can run in one round? Let's assume this fantasy runner is 5th level and has 5,000gp for magic items.

Other urls found in this thread:

dandwiki.com/wiki/Lictor_(3.5e_Race)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Which edition?

Any. But since this is a "crazy shit this can do" thread assume 3.5e or pathfinder.

Whatever the GM allows, just like any RPG.

With no thinking, 150 feet.

We're just talking straight *running* right? No Magic teleportation involved?

Okay, your basic character has a land speed of 30... but for the purposes of this experiment, that's completely unacceptable.

So, we *could* go 3.

>land speed 30

Yeah, but sprinting gives you 4x that distance.

Well, there's Chuck E. Cheese over on the minmax boards. Before errata he could move faster than the speed of light, and thanks to Tornado Throw he could deal upwards of two billion damage to a single target.

Human

Barbarian 1 / Monk 3 / ?

Base speed already is 50 ft

F1 Run
FBonus Fleet
F3 Fleet
F5 Fleet

Base movement speed: 65 ft
Run: 325 ft

Expeditious Retreat + 30 ft
Base: 95 ft
Run: 475 ft / round

Fleet (spell)
Base: 105ft
Run: 525ft

(Crafted) Boots of Striding and Sprining
Base: 115ft
Run: 575 ft / round'

PF noob here.

>Run: 575 ft / round'
That's about 65 miles per hour. You're going full on cheetah mode.

Scout hands out free movement.

Cheetah's sprint (spell) allows you to run 10x your base move speed.

Jesus.

Human

Barbarian 1 / Monk 3 / ?

Base speed already is 50 ft

F1 Fleet
FBonus Fleet
F3 Fleet
F5 Fleet

Base movement speed: 70 ft

Expeditious Retreat (+30 ft) = 100ft

Fleet (spell) (+10ft) = 110ft

(Crafted) Boots of Striding and Sprining (+10ft) = 120ft

Cheetah's Sprint (spell), Run speed = 1200 ft / round

>1200 ft / round
Jesus.

If it doesn't have to be human then also consider quicklings.

Cleric with Travel Domain gets an extra 10 feet, plus the Longstrider spell which gives you an extra 10 feet.

No, it doesn't have to be human at all, but as I said, I'm a PF noob, so I don't know all of the races and stuff. If it offers better than 40ft move speed, then it is better than human for this purpose.

It also comes to my mind that Barb 1 / Druid 4 might be better if wildshape is possible. Monks also might get a ki power for movement, too.

>136mph
Let's go higher! Alter Self to increase base movement!

With that cleric dip, Usain Bolt can move 140 ft base, or 1400 ft / round

How much would alter self improve things?

This is incredible. Too bad charging rules don't account for velocity or distance traveled. If they did, equip yourself with a spear and just obliterate everything with your speedforce.

You can alter self to increase your base base movement speed to 40ft

Rigth, but certain "playable" races have higher speeds

If quicklings are playable, that's a base 120 land speed. Even if we could only get a single level in a class, it could match the Usain we've already made.

dandwiki.com/wiki/Lictor_(3.5e_Race)
Base land speed of 50ft. So alter self to give yourself their legs.

Quicklings are LA +7 so that's a no. But a base land speed of 80ft plus a racial haste ability to make it 110ft is kinda cool.

Oh fuck, I forgot about the haste spell!

If we're still using Pathfinder, take a dip into Oracle, take the Flame Mystery, and take the Cinder Dance Revelation. There's an extra 10 feet right there.

What would a reasonable bonus be to reflex saves traveling at that speed?

Quicklings are fey that were cursed with short life but great speed.
Idk about pathfinder but I think their base speed was something like 100ft along with some other speed-based powers.

Seeing as how it's not a RAW thing, as far as I know, I would rule +1 AC and Ref per 100ft move speed. So at base speed, Usain here would get a +1 bonus to each and at run speed, it would be a +12 to each.

If he took Spring Attack, he could be a legit character with a few additional house rules. Tripping and bull rush bonuses, extra damage on a charge, ect.

>Hulking Hurler
>Insane Bolt
What other gimmick character could we make a party out of?

Considering Usain Bolt's max speed was 28mph I say this guy is fucking legendary.

Jumplomancer.

The guy who maximizes weapon reach, maybe? Perhaps the character who stacks every Jump bonus he can find?

Things got a little silly over in 5eg when Tabaxi came out.

>Not 9001

>Stacks every jump bonus they can find
I did something like this is 3.5, played a thri-kreen barbarian, every round I jumped 20ft into the air and fell down as a charge attack, getting a full round attack because pounce

Bump

>What is the longest distance a D&D character can run in one round?
My current char reaches mach1 at 8th level, not even super optimized for the task, so in 6 secs 1666.8 meters or 5468.5 ft if you prefer
> Let's assume this fantasy runner is 5th level and has 5,000gp for magic items.
With magic items? even more, mine has no magic item for improving its speed

>Pun-Pun can increase his speed without limit. This is thanks to the Incarnum Speed supernatural ability of Duskling Barbarian substitution level in Magic of Incarnum (page 44). It gives you a +10' enhancement bonus to speed for each point of essentia invested in the ability. And since Pun-Pun has NI essentia and NI essentia capacity, he can boost his speed limitlessly. And thanks to his Free Move salient divine ability, Pun-Pun can move up to his NI speed as a free action once each round
Fucking Pun-Pun man.

Post build.

Also, let's remove the level and money restrictions.

3PF char

Race with 50 base speed
Monk +30
1st level feat that gives me +10 speed on top of other things
Impossible Speed (Champion path) +30 and +50 per mythic point (which I have 15)

Total: 870 ft in 6 seconds, or if I run 4350 ft?...mmm, I thought it was mach 1?, I guess I lose. 954,6 Km/h, not 1000 Km/h

>Usain Bolt can move 140 ft base, or 1400 ft / round
Round is 6 secs, not 10

Read the thing. Cheetah's sprint let's him go 10x base speed.

Catfolk +10ft 1 LA
Barbarian lvl 1 +10ft
Druidic Avenger +10 ft
Cleric Travel 1 ( for longstrider)
Psion 1(for pp)
Quick trait -1 hp per lvl but +10 ft
Speed of thought + 10 when focused
Expeditious +30
Longstrider +10
Haste +30
Some +10speed feat ( on phone)
If cheetahs is 3.5 (idk again on phone)
This is 1,600

Cheetah is pathfinder

>60.8 m/s
>Equivalent to impact speed of an object released at 180m
>fall speed of 590ft
>D&D only goes up to 200 ft.
Now grab a bag of holding full of rocks and run at an opponent.

D&D and PF have many problems, speed not mattering at all is one of them, you're in fact an easier target if you run, you move at light speed? don't care, I hit you easier. You also get no benefit a part from moving from A to B in less time, you move a light speed and then punch me? ok 1d3+Str I guess, but first you provoke AoO

Wait a minute, how does Pun-Pun qualify for Duskling Barbarian? He's not a Duskling.

He can polymorph himself into a duskling at-will.

Doesn't he lose access to the ability as soon as he stops qualifying for it? I thought that's how 3.5 handled that.

4th edition Elf has base speed of 7 squares, that's 35ft. Become Monk, take Fluid Motion feat (+1 speed), and Needle Fall (i think its called) at-will power, which lets you move 3 squares as a minor action. Spend your standard and move to run (speed + 2), then use the minor. Total of 2*(8+2)+3 = 23 squares. That's 115ft every 6 seconds, just over 19 ft/s. That can be done every turn, fully at-will.

This is just off the top of my head, so there are probably items to boost speed. Pretty sure there are superior ki foci that give minor speed bonuses too. Worth noting that at level 11, Fluid Motion changes to +2, so max speed becomes 125ft/round without items.

>125ft/round without items.
That's considered a lot?

Use Ardent instead of Psion and take the Freedom mantle, that nets you an extra +10 ft and the PP you need for Speed of Thought.

See Chuck E. Cheese, a build so incredibly fast that they broke it just a little bit after it was posted.

Travel Domain is shit compared to Travel Devotion, which allows you to move your speed as a swift action once per day. You can trade domain powers in for equivalent devotions for free, so...

Cancer Mage

SIGNAL BIKE, RIDER
MACH!

Let's henshin!

Tracking... terminating... both done at Mach speed! Kamen Rider... Mach!

Replace Catfolk with Warforged, acquire UMD somehow, alter self into Small animated object with wheels via wand for a 70 ft base movement speed, replace Psion with Ardent with Freedom mantle for an extra +10 speed when focused, take Travel Devotion and Arborea domain, proceed to burn rubber so fucking fast. If you had a couple more levels to boost WBL you could literally double your speed the whole time with the spear from Ghostwalk.

Wait, Haste doesn't stack with ER/Skate, replace Arborea with Celerity for an extra base +10 ft movement speed.

Warforged Druidic Avenger 1/Swordsage 1/Travel Devotion Celerity Cleric of Fharlanghn 1/Freedom/X Ardent 1/Sohei 1, has a potion of Expeditious Retreat and wands of Footsteps of the Divine and Alter Self, the latter of which we assume works when UMDed since it's not on any of their spell lists, I don't think. If you're concerned about cost they're one-use wands for cost reduction reasons. Feats are pretty much Speed of Thought, Dash, and Run as those are what I can think of off of the top of my head, flaws should get you what you want, and I'm sure there's more room for optimization if I felt like it.

70 base from Alter Selfing into a mini-Transformer+20 from psi focus+10 Quick+50 FotD+30 ER+10 Fast Movement Barb+10 Ki Frenzy+5 Dash = 205 movement speed.

Running and using Travel Devotion is effectively 6x that movement speed - 5x from run and an extra 1x from the extra movement action from TD - so it gets you 1230. Burn FotD at the start of turn 2 and you're moving 1470 instead. That's without PF material.

Combine the fastest movement speed with most attacks in a single round. Create a character that is fucking nutso fast.

Those are pretty much incompatible because of how feat-intensive archery is and how badly the wanton multiclassing destroys your BAB and feat intake.

Damn...