Do online games with strangers ever last longer than 0 to 9 sessions?

Do online games with strangers ever last longer than 0 to 9 sessions?

>9 session game
Shit, my campaigns always resolve within 5-8 sessions.

I ran a game in 2015 that ran for 20+ sessions. Group broke up due to IRL like one session before we wrapped up and were going to start a new campaign in a new system. Haven't had the heart to build a new group since then.

Going on 5 years, with six campaigns, with a group from Veeky Forums.

Currently in a campaign on session 105, get on my level.

Not usually, but gaming with strangers is still worthwhile. Over time, you can build up a friends list on your social network of choice of people who are available and good players. People whom you can invite to future games. Over time you'll eventually get a large enough list of people you've gamed with before and thus, essentially, have pre-vetted, that you can always organize a game with people you can trust to be dedicated if they join.

My current game has gone for over five hundred sessions.

Christ our game just finished clocking in at about 250 and that was a fucking nightmare

2 years and still on, though it's still a bit hit or miss at times.

Same, pretty much.

I'm good.

I prefer breaking my arcs down into small arcs.

Keeps my players engaged, provides plenty of room for new players to hop in, and people to take breaks when needed.

I ran a fifteen month campaign.

I cheated. Three players, one friend, two randos.
Eventually rando A was all, "Hey, can my friend join, we only have three people?"
A's friend turned out to be the most ungodly weeaboo I've ever even imagined. Of course, I probably should have realized it before he joined, during the following exchange;
>"Alright, what do you want to play?"
>"A samurai."
>"Oooh... man, we're on like, the other side of the setting from fantasy japanland, are there any other character concepts you're interested in?"
>"...and his father was an honorable lord who was betrayed and executed by the emperor, and he fled the house at the age of six with only his fathers sword to become a masterful swordsman on the run from the emperor's assassins..."

A was a cool player so I allowed it. A's friend, B, was kind of an asshole in all regards (though he showed up consistently and knew the rules). A was good if a /u/-boater. C (who was there from the start) was kinda dumb now and then, but generally pleasant and they all showed up pretty regularly.

Eventually B lost his FATHAS' SWHOD and A went to go and get it because ooc friendship, died, then decided she'd ragequit and B followed. I replaced them with more pre-existing friends, until C was the only rando in the group.

But it played through to conclusion and was alright.

Literally how.

What system, what rules, and were characters retired at any point?

Getting a reliable online group together takes time and effort. I've rambled about the process before, but suffice to say after years of searching I found people I enjoyed playing with, and... God, six years later we're still going strong. It's a large enough group that I'm in four different games with different variations of the same broad groups, and they have more games I'm not in that all sound fun. Some of the games I'm in are going on four years old at this point, although the oldest seems to be getting relatively close to a conclusion.

>Been playing with one online group since 2005 and another group since 2008

Feels great desu

I can think of a few systems the would be able to go on for that long. Not DnD obviously but Traveller, GURPS, and Talislanta come to mind

I had one of similar numbers of DnD
But it involved lots of retirement
Don't know if you'd call it the same game, we played our kids/some new characters about half way through
It also probably helped that our sessions were quite short, usually around 4-5 hours a pop

Been playing RPG's for a while now but only IRL except one PTU that migrated to online because GM left town. Always been kinda interested in making friends on TG, but I've just heard so many horror stories about most games being a waste of time due to weeaboos and magical realm bs.

Once had a multi national 4E group go for around 60 sessions Started in june of 2013 and ended in July of 2014.
We had three guys in different parts of Europe two on opposite sides of America and one guy who was from Korea.
Every Sunday right at 8am for me on pst.

I joined a game almost 5 years ago with a group of mostly strangers as the second tabletop campaign of my life.

The game has gone on to today, surviving the occasional month long hiatus and even 3/5 of the party losing their characters to a Fantasy Grounds error.

Yup, just takes a few groups to find one that works.

I'm in one where we've been playing once a week for like, 2-3 years

I think it takes a couple tries.
I had 6-7 games that went

>4 hours each
>short
that's overtime for my fucking group. we plan for 2 hours and everyone's late to whatever they do the next day

>4 hours
>long
12+ hour sessions almost daily and a round the clock skype call that lasted for about 8 months. first session was 18 hours long and only ended because all but one player fell asleep.

How the fuck did everyone have so much free time?

Wait, that was a joke wasn't it?

college, self employed, unemployed, and slept at work.