I have a coworker who's really into 40K stuff and I'm trying to make them be my friend...

I have a coworker who's really into 40K stuff and I'm trying to make them be my friend. What's the best way to get into 40K lore without getting the actual models?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rR8Six9qpcA&list=PLyiDf91_bTEgnBN0jAvzNbqzrlMGID5WA
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_40,000
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Find a concrete slab somewhere and beat it against your head for a few hours. Then read Lexicanum.

The disorientation from your self-harm will shield you somewhat against the fact that none of this makes any fucking sense.

I don't intend to get into the lore for the tremendous amount of sense it makes. I just want to make dumb jokes with a guy I work with.

I'll add Lexicanum to the list of things to look out for.

The vidya.

1d4chan is a pretty meme version of Lexicanum, and somewhat lighter to read.

Which'n? The dawn of war games or that spacemarine one?

Dawn of war 1 mostly. Part 2 is different but also good. Space Marine is ok as well. But mostly DoW1 with all expansions.

CHAPTER MASTER, VERSION 0.001

Go to 40k general thread and pick as many codices as you want. They are the best way for newbie to jump into 40k lore

Tabletop Simulator.

>I just want to make dumb jokes with a guy I work with.
I've got your back, family, watch this entire playlist.
youtube.com/watch?v=rR8Six9qpcA&list=PLyiDf91_bTEgnBN0jAvzNbqzrlMGID5WA

yo op where you work at

Pot store in Washington.

I've seen clips of this and so I very much shall.

Cool. I'll see if I can find some good pdfs. Are the 40K books any good?

This. As much as I hate some of it's jokes it gave a really nice summary of all the lore.

Yo, where at

Play some of the video games. Specifically, Dawn of War (preferably the first one for exposure to more factions), Space Marine, and Battlefleet Gothic Armada. Space Hulk: Deathwing is alright as well, but don't get it unless you have a fairly beefy PC.

Another good way is through the Black Library novels. Tanith First and Only, the Ciaphas Cain books, and Eisenhorn are all good for getting started on the fluff. Dead Men Walking is also an excellent look into how brutally grimdark the setting can be, but it's one of the most depressing things I've ever read, so I'm not sure I'd recommend starting with it.

Also, wiki-crawling:
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_40,000

Dead Men Walking was a bloody masterpiece. And yes it did suffering and hopeless struggle right, can't deny that the ending took a melon baller to my insides even though I love that book.

I'd go into the 40k General thread, find links to pirated books in the OP, and get the rulebook. Half of it is a primer on each major faction and their history. If anything interests you, Lexicanum or other 40k wikis have more detail.

At that point (if you're actually enjoying it) you can start reading 40k novels under the Black Library label. Recommended: the Ciaphas Cain series (Imperial Guard, somewhat humorous), most of Dan Abnett's novels (e.g. Gaunt's Ghosts, Eisenhorn, Titanicus), Path of the Eldar (only good if you want to get a feel for the Eldar), and the Night Lords trilogy.

Word of warning: the Horus Heresy novel series is set 10,000 years before 40k's present. It has some good ones, but I wouldn't start there unless your friend plays games in that setting. The Beast Arises series is also set in 40k's past (8,000 years earlier maybe but by then things are a lot more similar to the 40k setting.

>Make them be my friend
>Make them
Screw pretending to be into the lore, just abduct them and imprison them in a well or something. Just make sure they rubs the lotions on its skin

You two would make a cute couple.

What this guy said. Note that it is a gateway into into the hobby.

Not OP, but what do I do if they refuse to rub the lotion on their skin?

The Eisenhorn trilogy
Gaunt's Ghosts
Any books you can lend them really

Seconding Ciaphias Cain, Guant's Ghost, and Eisenhorn. I played during 2e and 3e.If it wasn't for these 3 series I would give up on 40k. They make me go down to my basement every few months and push my manz around.