EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Mistakes were made" Edition

Previous Thread RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>>Thread question
Ever snatched defeat from the jaws of victory? What's the most epic fuck-up you've succumbed to in a game of EDH?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/saskia-the-brass-knuckles/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-maelstrom-enters-the-battlefield/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wheel-pillowfort-tribal/
tappedout.net/users/MelkorBauglir/deck-folders/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Asking again, need advice for this Saskia infect + combat deck. Are there any cards that are significantly off-theme?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/saskia-the-brass-knuckles/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-maelstrom-enters-the-battlefield/

What are my win-cons supposed to look like for Maelstrom Wanderer? Just let it hit the field then get value? Or is there something I'm missing?

Not me, but I literally yesterday saw a game with 2 players playing 1v1 player a has mind's dilation on the field and nothing else.
Player B has an ugin ultimate ready to go and goes to his main phase and plays the card he drew: Nicol Bolas Planeswalker. Player A triggers mind's dilation and flips chaos warp and warps ugin and counters the Bolas with a shit counterspell.
I've never seen worse play in my life.

Attacking three times after blowing everything up is a solid win con

any cool tricks I can pull in a Yasova deck? Besides stealing stuff and not giving it back with food chain/ggood/cold storage/etc.

>Willbreaker
>Steal their shit forever

>Splice Onto Kodama's Reach
>Arcbond Fuck You
>Cantrip into 30+ cards automatically

Any other fun suggestions for this one?

>synod sanctum and dominus of fealty
>Now take their permanents away from them
>Proteus staff
>Polymorphs a creature for you and puts their's in the bottom of their library

Pull multiple combats.

Cumber Stone blunts your enemies and gives Yasova extra reach

Sword of Feast and Famine, Hellkite Charger, aggravated assault... all good on their own, good with yasova, and win together.

Rite of Replication.

>Any other fun suggestions
Playing a legal commander.

post DEVILISH cards

Shut the hell up and give it a rest. If a group allows it, then it's fine.

that card's art is an accurate depiction of the player's face when he casts Dubious Challenge

why?

that art is an accurate depiction of what a player feels like when they cast Dubious Challenge

Azorius is already the guild for fun police douchebags, and the absurd amounts of value Brago pulls off just makes it worse. Enjoy having all your shit bounced or exiled or tapped forever.

>I'm gonna pay you $20 to shut the fuck up

right, i got charger, sofaf is a good suggestion.

My plan b is generally goodstuff - fires, temur ascendancy, anger, bbe, shit like that.

Post 'em.

Holy shit that's hilarious

I play Simic Ezuri and Trostani homerule'd to have partner.
Fight me

I keep forgetting to make mine. I think it's time to change this.

>haven't played EDH in forever
>play against some old friends for the first time in over a year
>4+ hour game
>barely eke out a win
Feels good man.

Ended the game with 4 cards in library, almost half my deck in exile, and 20 damage from my own commander. I tried at least 3 different win combos, and had one of them countered 3 times (had Swan Song and Pact of Negation on backup and it just wasn't enough).

I've got a Saskia combat & infect deck I need advice for, and a pope deck that has only ever won in 1v1 when I got shipbreaker kraken out

I fucking love this card so much...

My active unit

If you have one good creature with Morph in your deck, is it worth it to add another decent creature with Morph just to keep your opponents guessing? Assuming you play with a regular group, of course.

okay sure

If your secondary morph isn't good enough to merit being a part of the 99 beyond trying to conceal your primary morph, then no. If both morphs are good, then yes.

got a list for that sisters deck?

pic related

Not yet, although I should probably get to that.

Anyone got any fun ideas or lists for Newzuri?

Hello again

okay

>>Thread question
>>Ever snatched defeat from the jaws of victory? What's the most epic fuck-up you've succumbed to in a game of EDH?

Many Times with Nekusar somebody will go infinite right before i manage to kill them with wheels.
The worst fuckup I had was somebody was playing Memnarch and had Mycrosyn out and I forgot it turns all permanents into artifacts and I ended up playing a boardwipe for artifacts(cant remember which one) and accidentally blew up everything.

anyway Anybody have any tips or advice for my nekusar list I want to add more control but cant find much of anything to cut from my pillowfort and wheel stuff

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wheel-pillowfort-tribal/

>face cards are different sized
This upsets me greatly

sorry threw it together in five minutes will fix later

have a slobad list?

With Oloro having a pillowfort subtheme is generally fine, but in my experience you really want to choose between control or lifegain, don't do both. If you choose lifegain you should put in all the cards that shoot through the roof in value by paying life (necropotence, ad nauseam and necrologia if you want to make a nasty lifegain combo deck, lifegain can actually be pretty strong in a combo shell).

If you choose control you should just go 100% on the pillowfort, adding glacial chasm, island sanctuary, solitary confinement, righteous aura, moat and forcefield if you have them, and of course the usual pillowfort package. Then go with a shitton of wipes and removal (ashes to ashes and slaughter are my favourite removal spells in Oloro) and use some kind of combo as your wincon, I've seen pretty strong Oloro decks that only have labman as a wincon.

If you choose lifegain, don't hesitate to actually cast Oloro (if you're in a meta that isn't too competitive), if you have enough gain sources the card draw does get absolutely ridiculous.
Oloro draws a lot of hate, but doesn't really draw a lot of removal. Most people think that he's kinda meh on the battlefield and just ignore him since you can never get rid of his ability, but the draw is deceptively strong.

especially with an equisite blood, that shit will ruin your opponent's day with mana to spare

text because duplicate reply warning?

This one can backfire but it's pretty consistent in keeping fatties off the table.

And this is one of my all-time favorites for non-green, non-blue, non-black decks.

Any advice for a Krenko, goblin tribal deck?
What are some must-have gobbos?

Purphoros.

He should be a goblin god.

Goblin chiurgin for tapping down the opponents shit, goblin chieftain, goblin piledriver, goblin war marshall, goblin king, warren instigator. Clickslither and purphorous are also notable wincons.

What are some targets that would make Thespian's Stage worth running?

serra sanctum, nykthosm cabal coffers, gaia's cradle, Vesuva (beacause if it enter and copies Stage after Stage has already copied something, it will become that copied land AND keep the Stage switching ability for as long as its in play)

Valakut, Emeria, lands that give two mana (Ravnica or Temple of false gods), anything under song of dryads or moonjail

Non-legendary lands that produce all types of mana, non-legendary utility lands, Scorched Ruins

Though honestly, Vesuva is far superior

sorry when I said Serra's Sanctum and Nykthos I meant to say Deserted Temple, so that you can untap your Legendary lands a second time.

>anything under song of dryads or moonjail

I still think it's completely silly that this works the way it does.

You know what to do. It does what you think it does. Yes, it also keeps the switch land ability

Little late to the party, but here's mine. Forgot 1 update, replaced Tariel with Queen Marchesa.

aaand forgot image. Derp.

Anyone put sub-optimal cards in their solely because of their art?

Okay this is going to sound retarded but can I do this?

>activate scroll rack
>hand is in exile
>sac mindslicer have all my opponents lose their hands
>get my hand back with scroll rack

I would if I had one of those.

Heres some spicey tech

Unless you're in black for coffers, or you REALLY like your nykthos, it's more about targets your opponents have than what you have in your deck. Cradle in non-green creature decks is very good still. Most lands you want are legendary so doubling your own is a no go.

No. You can't have a triggered ability activate and resolve in the middle of an already-activated ability. They resolve in order.

use this instead of scroll rack

I'm interested in the Trostani, Lili, and Kolaghan lists.

Only Jeleva is meant as pure multiplayer deck, running sol-ring. Atraxa is on the other end, being mainly duel commander, although she can build up enough to be a threat in multiplayer too.

>When I used to have a Tariel angel tribal deck
>When Tariel was so bad as a commander that I switched her for zurgo and put her in the 99
>When Tariel was so bad that I took her out of the 99
>When she was basically my only reason for running black
>When I took out Zurgo and all the black cards and am now running Aurelia/Gisela

I really wanted to run Tariel but she's such a bad commander and I can't stand playing with bad, non-synergistic cards.

Sure thing. Here's all of them:
tappedout.net/users/MelkorBauglir/deck-folders/

Yeah, I only ran her for her colors. Soon as a more usable Mardu generel came out, I grabbed it and switched.

Alms Beast (*without* False Cure or Tainted Remedy, not even in Hug) might be my staple play, but it definitely qualifies.

>Killing Wave
>sub-optimal
what? I can't think of a game where I've cast that and not ruined everyone's day.

I just don't like giving them the option and since I'm in B/W, I feel like I have better access to wipe/drain.

Many thanks, user.

You're also in BW. You could be gaining a LOT of life to keep your own board while everyone else melts. Under the circumstances I'd see it as a Plague Wind variant, which is harder to come by than a generic wipe.

>Ever snatched defeat from the jaws of victory? What's the most epic fuck-up you've succumbed to in a game of EDH?

>playing angry omnath
>low life (less than 20) because I ate a lot of early aggro, but
>have 11 fucking tokens in play, an overwhelming stampede in hand, and blasphemous act to make sure everyone dies
>decide to go for the dick-stroking overkill and cast scapeshift since I have the mana and the blue player got boil'd
>kurkesh player reverberates it and kills me with valakut
GOD
FUCKING
DAMNIT

No problem, happy to share my creations.

>had a long discussion with group
>successfully rallied for everyone to build a Nephilim deck
>tfw Witch-Maw Exalted inbound

Fuck yes. I'm so excited.

It doesn't even come close to a Plague Wind, think of it more like an alternative Languish. You're going to get rid of weenies and chump blockers, but if there are any actual real threats on the board, that shit's going to stay.
The only exception is if you have lots of big black mana, but in that case why not run the actual Plague Wind, or just Exsanguinate for the win?

but that art though

Funnily enough it was probably last night. I had to tap Strip Mine for mana and tap out to counter a thing with Draining Whelk. Next dude up casts Emrakul, Promised End, targeting me. I have Razia's Purification in hand.

Do you know how to beat a 13/13 with only an Island? Asking for a friend.

SHU YUN PLAYERS

How do you gas back up after dumping your hand to one-shot someone?

cast past in flames then one shot another person, duh.

:^)

Past in Flames, Bosium Strip, Reforge the Soul, Wheel of Fortune

Void Snare

Who's the absolute strongest monoB commander?

Braids, Cabal Minion. She was too pure for this world.

Anyone have luck picking up stuff on OfferUp? Seems like a slightly better alternative to CL.

Chainer

Please stop viral advertising. Just make a quality product and people will use it. If you need to trick people into using your product you're making a bad product.

uhh not tricking anyone, it does sound like a shill ass post, but no, I just found out about it today.

someone posted the r/w 2015 precon for 10 bucks and I'm trying to scoop. pretty sure it's just stolen, but eh.

I hear good things about Sidisi. Commanders who tutor for cards tend to be stronger. I'd give honorable mention to Erebos though for being consistent card draw and a good mana sink in the command zone.

What cards in white and black can reliably profit from this card?

I'm already playing the Soul Sisters and a few cards with extort, which can counteract the lose of life, but how can I repeatedly profit from that free mana on my opponents turns?

I've already got Greed, Erebos and Vampiric Rites.

Forgot to mention I'm also running Martyr of Sands, which is what inspired me to get Carnival of Souls in the first place.

This. Need to build one myself.

best monored commander? in general or terms of versatility- currently running Kazuul as a stand in since hidetsugu gets wiped as soon as he hits the table

Wincon for a UB deck full of clones?

Can Gary do it?

Doubtful

Feldon probably takes the cake for most versatile, the strongest probably goes to daretti though.

never doubt the gay merchant of ass-fondle.