/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Ambush In Cork Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/831n3lc84p65tkw/Mud & Blood - Triumphant Standards.pdf
mediafire.com/file/5g40m3led2hitmy/Osprey - WAR 080 - Irish Volunteer Soldier 1913-23.pdf
wargamevault.com/product/205460/Fear-Naught--Quick-Naval-Wargaming
mojobob.blogspot.com/2010/06/de-freudianizing-teensy-tiny-tanks.html?m=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

19th March in military history:

1279 – A Mongolian victory at the Battle of Yamen ends the Song Dynasty in China.
1563 – The Edict of Amboise is signed, ending the first phase of the French Wars of Religion.
1687 – Explorer Robert Cavelier de La Salle, searching for the mouth of the Mississippi River, is murdered by his own men.
1861 – The First Taranaki War ends in New Zealand.
1863 – The SS Georgiana, said to have been the most powerful Confederate cruiser, is destroyed on her maiden voyage with a cargo then valued at over $1,000,000.
1865 – American Civil War: The Battle of Bentonville begins. By the end of the battle two days later, Confederate forces had retreated from Four Oaks, North Carolina.
1885 – Louis Riel declares a Provisional Government in Saskatchewan, beginning the North-West Rebellion.
1921 – Irish War of Independence: One of the biggest engagements of the war takes place at Crossbarry, County Cork. About 100 IRA volunteers escape an attempt by over 1,300 British forces to encircle them.
1941 – World War II: The "Tuskegee Airmen", the first all-black unit of the US Army Air Corps, is activated.
1944 – World War II: Nazi forces occupy Hungary.
1945 – World War II: Off the coast of Japan, a dive bomber hits the aircraft carrier USS Franklin, killing 724 of her crew. Badly damaged, the ship is able to return to the U.S. under her own power.
1945 – World War II: Adolf Hitler issues his "Nero Decree" ordering all industries, military installations, shops, transportation facilities and communications facilities in Germany to be destroyed.
1962 – The Algerian War of Independence against the French ends.
1982 – Falklands War: Argentinian forces land on South Georgia Island, precipitating war with the United Kingdom.
2011 – Libyan Civil War: After the failure of Muammar Gaddafi's forces to take Benghazi, French Air Force launches Opération Harmattan, beginning foreign military intervention in Libya.

It is 96 years since the Crossbarry Ambush, one of the largest engagements of the Irish War of Independence. It took place at the rural crossroads of Crossbarry in County Cork, about 20 km south-west of Cork city. About a hundred Irish Republican Army (IRA) volunteers escaped an attempt by more than 1,300 British troops to encircle them. During the hour-long battle, between 10 and 40 British troops and three to six IRA volunteers were killed. The ambush is one of the few rare large battles during the war where the British forces, rather than the IRA, initiated the engagement.

The increasing success of the IRA's 3rd Cork Brigade had led to a spate of arrests and interrogations of suspected IRA volunteers in West Cork, in an effort to discover the identities and headquarters of the guerrillas. At this point the column had a total of 104 volunteers. On 15 February 1921, the IRA mounted an abortive ambush of a troop train at Upton, in which six civilians and three IRA volunteers died. Several other volunteers were captured. The British succeeded in breaking an IRA volunteer under interrogation and discovered that the West Cork Brigade had its headquarters in Ballymurphy.

The British commanders thus planned a major operation to capture the IRA column, mobilising about 1,200 troops, to converge on the area from several different directions. 400 British troops came from Cork, 200 from Ballincollig, 300 from Kinsale and 350 from Bandon.[2] Later in the day about 120 Auxiliaries also left Macroom. The British sweep was mounted early on the morning of 19 March. At Crossbarry, some of the troops descended from their lorries to proceed on foot or bicycle to try and catch the IRA unawares. One early victim of the action was Charlie Hurley, the IRA Commanding Officer of the Cork Number Three Brigade. Hurley, who was recovering from a serious wound sustained at the Upton ambush, was trapped in a house and killed at about 6:30am.

Brigade CO Tom Barry, only becoming aware of the danger at the last minute, resolved that his men, 104 strong, would have to fight their way out of the encirclement. Barry's calculation was that his men could not sustain an all day fight, which they could expect if they retired before the British. Moreover, the likelihood was that the small column would be trapped if it took this course of action. However, Barry observed that one of the British columns advancing towards Crossbarry was well ahead of the other British units. If his men could break through this British force, roughly the same strength as his own force, then they could break out of the British encirclement.

Barry laid out an ambush for the British at Crossbarry cross roads—his men being in position by 5:30 am. The first British lorries, about 12 vehicles according to Barry's account, came into view of the IRA at 8:00 am. When they reached Crossbarry, they were caught by surprise and hit by a crossfire at very close range—between 5 yards (4.6 m) and 10 yards (9.1 m). They took significant casualties and many of them fled the scene. Barry's men collected the British arms and ammunition before setting fire to the lorries. At this point, they were attacked again by another British column of about 200, coming from the southwest, but they too retreated after a stiff fire fight. Two more British units converging on the area from the southeast tried to dislodge the IRA from their ambush position, but again without success and they too fled in disorder.

Taking the chance offered by his quick victory to get away, Barry then marched his men to safety in the Gurranereigh area, while the British were still disoriented by the ambush. There was another brief exchange of fire at long range as the IRA column got away. The action had lasted for under an hour.

On realising what had happened, Major Percival of the Essex Regiment rushed to the scene with his troops, but was only able to open a long range fire on the fleeing IRA men. He later blamed the failure of the British operation on the Auxiliary column which had gone to the wrong rendezvous point and had therefore left a gap in the encirclement. Barry's account does not mention the use of the explosives, but contemporary press accounts reported that the three British lorries were destroyed by a mine planted under the bridge at Crossbarry and detonated as they passed.

The reports of casualties inflicted in the ambush varied according to the source that reported them. Barry reported that three of his men were killed in the fight and another three wounded.] British accounts claimed that six IRA men had died. The IRA claimed that over 30 British soldiers were killed in the action. The British stated their losses were 10 killed and three wounded. The RIC memorial records that one RIC constable and six soldiers were killed. According to historian Peter Hart, the figure of 10 Crown forces personnel killed and four wounded, was "given in internal police and military documents and verified at the inquest".

Historian Michael Hopkinson concludes of the action, "With considerable justice, Crossbarry is regarded as victory for the IRA, but can also be seen as a missed opportunity for the British". The British commander, Arthur Percival, as General Percival would surrender Singapore to the Japanese in 1942.

This is definitely something for fans of small interwar actions. Played on a large enough scale it could even make a mini-campaign game as the British player tries to complete the encirclement that failed historically.

mediafire.com/file/831n3lc84p65tkw/Mud & Blood - Triumphant Standards.pdf
mediafire.com/file/5g40m3led2hitmy/Osprey - WAR 080 - Irish Volunteer Soldier 1913-23.pdf

The community project this month is an obsolete unit or vehicle.

Did the Grenadier Guards uniform differ from the standard British uniform in WWII? Or was the difference just in insignias?

>Or was the difference just in insignias?
Just that user. The dress uniform of course was quite different, but in the field they wore the same stuff as other troops, but with their grenade badge of course.

Awesome. Thanks user!

BMP

What are people working on? I was originally going to paint up some Romanian equipemnt but have decided to build a Ki-10 kit have in my stash.

Mostly working on 1/600 aircraft. Have a bunch of Japanese, US and [misc] to base, paint et al.

Played a good game of Lacquered Coffins today, lots of fun. RAF bombers trying to get past the luftwaffe. 20mm cannons made short work of the bombers, and the Luftwaffe came out juuuuust ahead of the RAF. Close game though.

Currently experimenting with terrain. No plans to start any new armies or expand existing ones since basically nothing interesting has turned up or is incoming as a possibility.

Still, gotta have terrain for games. Image unrelated other than it served as a reminder that it was something that needed doing.

So, I'm interested in getting into historicals, but I'm looking for games that maybe try for irregular warfare. Parisians versus occupying Germans, Confederare Raiders against militia or encamped Union regulars, stuff like that. Any good rulesets or scales for me to look at?

Force on Force for post WW2 asymmetrical skirmish. The book's organization is kind of a mess but you might take a look. It's in the OP folder. I don't play ACW but you could probably work up something like you describe using some of the Too Fat Lardies rules like Sharp Practice.

If you're wanting to do any sort of small scale skirmishing in WW2, your best bet is five men in normandy.

I've never understood basing single tanks from a modeling perspective. I mean if you're playing high enough level that they're squadrons and you base squadrons okay. But if your representing with single figs it really feels redundant. Of course autistically written rules have an autism factor or compliance.

Where'd you get the buildings?

Most wargames include some kind of irregular force(s) as an army list or option. For example a lot of WW2 games have partisan/resistance lists, and modern stuff like Force on Force has the Taliban, etc. For ACW guerillas you could look at Two Fat Lardies' Terrible Sharp Sword.

For the most part skirmish scale will be the thing here, so you're looking at 1:72/20mm/28mm. Skirmish just does the best job of catching the feel of irregular warfare. You could probably have company/battalion size clashes too, based on stuff like the German anti-partisan ops in WW2. The battle described in the OP is a good example of something like that.

Working on a small heroics and ros force for Team Yankee - British

It looks nice though.

Would you consider games like dead mans hand (or its spinoff "the chicago way") as historical?

so I tried something new. a gaming mat made out of synthetic fur. what do you think?

Would you mind doing a pic with some minis placed onto it?

I'm always afraid these "teddy bear"-fur fields etc would affect the stability of the minis so they tip over more easily.

How much did that cost, it looks quite good, even if the shade of green does seem a little off.

Looks a tad fake for grass, but otherwise the texture looks right.

Painted some Swedish Pikemen for TYW. Next up, not sure.

>I've never understood basing single tanks from a modeling perspective
I like the looks of it. Piers Brand does some really great looking ones, plus it makes it stabler with link and length tracks and wheeled vehicles.

>The book's organization is kind of a mess
Haven't really noticed that, user, I found it good. Also, it do have an Index and a comprehensive ToC, which is something most rulesets desperately need.

here you go. some not yet finished minis
Yes that's what I'm not satisfied with yet. problem is that I can't shower the thing in paint or else the fur becomes stiff.
price was 19 euros.

yeah sure forgot the pic...

another option would be to cut the thing to pieces and lay them as high grass fields over the other mats I made.

Wild West shooutouts and Prohibition-era gangwars are definitely historical wargaming, there are a bunch of figures and rulesets available too.

I think thats a great idea, I don't see why you shouldn't at least test it.

I've seen that with great success with gold/brown fur for fields.

What are some games I can play on a 2x2 board?I'd like to branch out from DBA (and DBx) but I don't have much space atm. Thanks.

Hex & chit?

My current status for the "obsolete"-group build.

I tried my best with the arabic freehand but it still looks terrible. (I wrote a simple "Assad" when in reality they used names of fallen soldiers, and those were super long and complicated to write but i think Assad works for both its meanings, Lion and the name of their president). I'll probably do it again to get a better result.

I also still haven't finally decided if i want to add a soviet hmg from a Dust48 tank onto the turret or not.

FiveCore spring to mind No End In Sight.

Wow how did I fuck up typing that so much. No End in Sight and FiveCore are games that can be played on a 2x2 table.

Chevauchee would probably work pretty well on a smaller table.

Wow! If that's any indication of the rest of the entries, this month's competition is going to be amazing!

Thanx for the pic. :)

You're new here aren't you, newfriend.

I meant for the obsolete project

as an Arabic speaker i'd like to say that that looks fuckin tight. Good job.

>You're new here aren't you, newfriend.

Where's your project?

I think user was just commenting on the other user's typing style, which is not really the norm for Veeky Forums.

Basically he sounds like he hasn't had enough enthusiasm sucked out of him yet to have been using this site for very long.

It's nothing to do with the project and user's was very lovely.

It's more the fact that emoticons and 'irregular' spelling were used.

Its not a competition user. Thanks though.

Thank you. Thats reassuring.

>Praise another user's work
>Thank them for sharing
>Get slammed for enthusiasm & spelling

Don't ever change, /hwg/.

Emoticons and irregular spelling are generally hallmarks of shitposters.

I've been seeing more and more people using transparent base on their minis Any one have thoughts on this?

It looks ass imho.

I'm fine with it, it doesn't look as nice as a properly modelled and painted base, but on the other hand you don't get weirdness like using snowy-based troops on a desert board or whatever.

No one was slammed, it was merely commented on.

/hwg/ is one of THE friendliest parts of Veeky Forums I have ever seen. There are sometimes shitposters but generally everyone is nice to each other even if they don't agree.

this.

now lets get back to business.

agreed.

Not quite sure what this user was going on about, the movement rates in FN look fine to me.

So i started putting together some knights/men at arms from one of the perry agincourt boxes.

What are some decent medieval skirmishers? I've found the rules for Chevauchee in the OP. How does it compare to other games with maybe 3-10 minis per side?

I kinda want to have some objective driven, narrative games with my knights. Maybe a longer campaign or something.

pic related, but sadly not my minis

No idea from personal experience but Lords and Servants is also in the folders and is usually recommended for an alternative approach.

It's by the Impetus people so that's a reasonable guarantee of it not being shit at least.

Thanks. I'll give it a look.

Tried drilling the turret/hull of a 6mm tank to magnetise it and the barrel just... dropped off. I don't understand how :(

Was it a GHQ one?

For example, at the beginning of WW1:
Cargoships had a top speed of about 12 to 15 knots,
Battleships had a top speed of about 18 to 21 knots,
Cruisers had a top speed of about 21 to 27 knots,
and Destroyers had a top speed of about 30 to 33 knots.

Again, these are just average figures - there are a few ships outside this average (Queen Elizabeth's 24 knots comes to mind) - but, for the most part, these are the ballpark values.

And those are reflected in the game's movement rates. Destroyers move 8", cargoships only go 4".

Thanks Anons, I'll have a look.

Since it was mentioned earlier: Dead Man's Hand and The Chicago Way will also work perfectly fine on a small table if you like their setting, give them a look. Very nice games indeed. (they both use almost the same rules, just different times)

Yeah, Challenger 2.

Okay - let's see:
This is the latest version of the rules.
Please, point me to the part that states what you've just said.

That's not the latest version of the rules. Perhaps you missed the release on WargameVault?

wargamevault.com/product/205460/Fear-Naught--Quick-Naval-Wargaming

If you check the preview, you can see the revised movement there.

Those barrels are too damn thin. I know it's because they're trying to be as accurate as possible on scale but damn it, there's a point where it's just too fine that shit like that happens.

>If you check the preview, you can see the revised movement there.

Some revision.

Dreadnoughts at the same speed as cargo ships, battleships move faster than drreadnoughts, and battlecruisers have the same speed as destroyers. That's just the movement rules too. Imagine what other nonsense the rules must contain.

"Pay What You Want" or not, shit is shit even if you get it for free.

Even managed to take some photos as well.

It does say that the game is still in development. I know the dev hangs out in these threads so it'll probably get updated in a later version.

mojobob.blogspot.com/2010/06/de-freudianizing-teensy-tiny-tanks.html?m=1

Force on Force. In 15mm the table is 3x3.

bmp

So my copy of The Arab-Israeli wars arrived and I played a match with my dad. Now I understand that maybe it's just a historical thing but is the game meant to be balanced in Israeli forces favor? Granted it makes some sense from a historical perspective (given that they did in fact win all those wars) but it seems a bit odd for the gameplay. It seems that unless you're playing as Jordan (which gives you British tanks that can hit-and-run) you basically have to play super defensively as the Arab forces... which seems counter-intuitive considering the Israelis were on the defensive for most of these conflicts. Am I just doing it wrong? Is my dad's 40-year-old knowledge of the game simply resurfacing and kicking my novice ass?

I have no idea what the game you refer to is but the game may just not be balanced given it's based on a war in which the quality vs quantity balance was hugely in favour of one side, especially given the quantity sides had huge lack of quality issues to go with it.

That kind of conflict has always been a very hard one to balance even remotely for game purposes. Especially when running a direct hardware comparison in tactical gameplay rather than perhaps a strategic overview where individual unit capability matters far less than say the logistics of keeping troops supplied enough to fight in the first place.

> MARCHING UP AND DOWN THE SQUARE!

Durham Light Infantry forever.

DLI!

DLI!

DLI!

Are you talking about Fate of a Nation?

We've just been discussing this in the Flames of War thread. The Arabs are a bit outclassed unless you spam. They have very limited variety.

I believe user is talking about the hex-and-chit literally called 'The Arab-Israeli War'

some of the scenarios in there are a touch out of balance when it comes to victory conditions (Bir Gafgafa im looking at you), but the Arab forces do have a shot at winning most scenarios. really have to just overwhelm the Israelis with numbers in most scenarios. use and abuse your Saggers as much as you can in the scenarios that you have them. get up and in the face of the Isreali forces. dont try and sit at range and gun duel them-youll lose.

im going to guess its just your old man using a bit of his old knowledge to give him an edge against your noviceness.

few web sites out there that still support AIW. check them out. Hell there is a couple of PB/PL/AIW groups on FB if thats your thing. ask for help from them

Got a set of 4 Type 89 Japanese tanks basecoated and ready for paint.

I'll probably go paint those next to take a break from the WW2 and 1980s Soviets I've been working on.

LAV-75

BRDM

a couple of pages i dug up from an old general magazine that may give you some help

I don't like them and would never use them. I dislike them even on flying minis.

Maybe try writing with a marker pen?
I just put an order in for some Perry mini War of the Roses Knights and Mercs. Excited to get painting again after about 10 years break.

Hey lads, there's no scan of the Warhammer Great War supplement, right?

It's in the mediafire in the OP under WWI

Oh, thanks user. Was looking at the Warhammer Historical Mega folder and it wasn't there.

You saved me from a whole bunch of scanning!

Neither the Mega or Mediafire unfortunately have the "Over The Top" supplement (not to be confused with the GDW WWI game of that title), just the core book. I think that was what user was referring to.

Oh bother, found it out after downloading it...I'll try to borrow from a friend and scan it, then.

>I'll try to borrow from a friend and scan it, then.
I know scanning is a massive pain, but people have been looking for this one for a while, so it would definitely be appreciated.

Okay, it'll take some time (he's actively using the book), but I'll do it.

I think OTT was one of the last books produced by Warhammer Historical before it got shut down and as such is pretty rare.