>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.me/5eg

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

How do you combat memes in your game, /5eg/?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iiKeTPL6HPk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

that shit worth watching? i can't help but notice there's only one male character

It's a harem isekai series whose sole purpose is to take the absolute piss out of actual harem and isekai series. It's good fun, decent length (two 10-episode seasons + an OVA), and the wonky animation makes it more enjoyable. Good for a laugh and feeling good.

It's ok. It's a parody on PnP games, JRPGs and harem animes.

The main character loathes the chicks and actively tries to prevent them from joining his group. The girls are all crazy and/or useless. No romantic tension at all. Watch if if you have too much spare time on your hands. Expect lots of sarcasm and JRPG tropes played with.

Watch this instead, it's about the worst tabletop party ever

I love Dirt Farmer: The Anime.

KAZUMA KAZUMA

>anime shit as op image
>anime discussion in replies

I'm sorry, did I stumble into /pfg/ by mistake?

Pull up a chair, user. How's your 5e game(s) going?

We lost yet another player today. Thinking of taking over as GM again.

Yes, I'm Kazuma

Grimgar is amazing, but it's a totally different feel than Konosuba.
Grimgar is a lot more emotional and tries to be more serious Whether it succeeds in this endeavor is up to the viewer, I personally love it , whereas Konosuba is just knee-slapping comedy.
Fuck this discussion should be on /a/.

>How do you combat memes
Honestly, as a DM, I just roll with them. If they're being too obnoxious and disruptive, I'll actually implement the memes into the story and then my usual PC's (3 different groups, about 12-14 people total) often just throw their hands up and say
>woah user I was just kidding about that
And then we can resume.
If they think it's hilarious, and "accept" it, it usually ends up as a memorable story.

I could see how that wouldn't really work with autists, though.

You stumbled onto Veeky Forums

What are they in 5e terms?

Aqua is a cleric (probably life domain) who dumped the absolute fuck out of Int. She insists her background is that she is a goddess who got dragged into the world but no one (not even the DM) takes it seriously.

Kazuma is an arcane trickster rogue. The DM has taken pity on his poor rolls, giving him the Lucky feat for free, as well as expanding his spell selection. Realizing he's the only half-competent player, the DM continues to give him small +1s here and there to help the party survive.

Megumin is a refluffed red dragon sorcerer who has refused to cast anything but empowered fireballs since 5th level.

Darkness is a devotion paladin who dumped the absolute shit out of strength but has 20 Con and Tough.

Int/Wis 8 cleric but goddess stats
Rogue skill monkey
Evoker Wizard who has a super strong daily and nothing else
Paladin with high HP but shit to hit also likes taking damage all the time.

Not really the thread for it, but anyone familiar with Dark Sun lore?

>don't describe that there are kids to the players
>don't let them know there are kids when they're literally burning to death
>have mercenaries come after the party for something you didn't describe to them at any point so they had no way of knowing of it

>gm: you murdered kids
>players: fuck you

Cleric with some sort of water or healing related domain
Arcane Trickster
Sorcerer
Thematically Paladin of the Crown, but fighter is probably more accurate

I'd argue Darkness is a zealot barbarian. She never really does paladin things aside from standing in front of the party and taking hits, and is primarily motivated by her raging emotions.

How does the Swashbuckler compare to the other rogue archetypes?

okay which one of you fuckers keeps posting spider threads

Its the fightiest Rogue Archtype. Guaranteed Sneak attacks every turn.

Easiest archetype for getting sneak attack, so it's probably one of the better ones depending on your party makeup.

Darkness actually has extremely high STR as well, but for some reason she keeps insisting to use her dumped DEX for attack rolls.

Good God user, I can't believe you actually like Grimgar.

I was beginning to think I was actually the only one.

Darkness is a bit wonky.
She is physically strong but lacks proficiency with her weapons somehow and Dex is the key of hit calculation in that world....which is also her dumpstat.
Just imagine her being THAT GUY who pissed of the DM by using a bunch of homebrew to build a wall.

So, anons, is there supposed to be a new Unearthed Arcana out tomorrow? If yes, any ideas what it'll be? We got the Mystic last week.

Obviously about food

There's been no news of a delay, so expect one.

On a similar note, the D&D Beyond open beta starts on Monday.

Hey /5eg/ give me some dumb low level cheese builds.

So far my favorite is Scourge Aasimar fiendlock with the UA evocation Cloak of Baalzebul.

Granted you have at least 18 Charisma at level 5, casting the cloak, your race ability, and the flame shield you get from fiendlock deals 2d6+8 damage a turn for everything within 5 feet of you along with an additional 5 damage when you hit a spell or attack.

Lalatina

Best character build for being as fast as possible? I'm assuming Monk levels, but anything else?

Speaking of the Mystic I fucking love playing as a Nomad

whoops meant to say 8 damage being near you, with the 2d6 if they attack you. Its been a long night.

be a wood elf, take mobile

Megumin - either Fire Wu Jen using DETONATION, or Favoured Soul sorcerer (she claims to be a reincarnated God of destruction) who only ever uses Fireball at max level.

Aqua - Life cleric with an elite array that somehow got her Int below 8 to grab the Performance proficiency and the Actor feat. Claims to be her own patron God.

Aqua - A paladin player who asked the DM to double her Hp and max out her Str to use with the grapler feat in exchange of loosig proficiency with weapons and dumping Dex.

Kazuma - That guy who played a Variant Human Arcane Trickster 4/Lore Bard 4/Battle master Archer 4 with the lucky feat. Oh yeah he also went with the 14/14/14/12/12/12 array and spent his ASI-s on Feats like the Skilled feat, Sharpshooter and Skulker.

I don't just mean movement speed, I mean as many actions as possible too. Anyway I could have Monk levels, Haste, and Action Surge?

Wood Elf with mobile, grab a few levels in Rogue for free Dash and two levels in Fighter for Action Surge.

Then simply tripledash for about 480 ft.

Why would you use anything but minor illusion? Minor, Silent, and Major all have the same check.

I like Grimgar too, but you're right.
>The second best melee fighter is the healer
>In a high lethality setting
>The character with the highest STR is a ranger who almost exclusively uses her bow
Come on guys!

I want to give my players xp for more than just combat. What is a good way of going about doing this?

good role playing if you're running a campaign like that

Ask them if they have any small or large goals and award them respectively

What campaigns do you run/play in *other* than that?

Do what the DMG suggests: give them XP based on the encounter difficulty tiers for their level when they finish important non-combat encounters.

its hard to make a campaign about roleplay with a gun to your head

...What are you talking about? All I'm asking is what kind of campaigns you run/play in...

yea no problem man, we all make mistakes.

Anons? A convert from 4e here. I like 5e, for the most part, but there are some classes from 4e I miss. Do you think there are any 4e classes that could thematically get converted over? If yes, how?

Like...

Avenger: This was basically a divinely ordained assassin, so I could probably see this as a new Rogue subclass with some extra stabby features and access to low-level clerical spells. Or it could be a more killy-focused Paladin, maybe?

Runesmith: Honestly, I really think it'd be a good "magic focused" subclass for the Artificer they brought out this year, although I confess I haven't the first clue how to make it work.

Warden: Fighter subclass with some specialized shapeshifting, maybe?

Invoker: Okay, with the loss of the Combat Roles, I'm not sure how this differs from the bog-standard Cleric anymore, but still, I really liked this class.

I dunno, man. 5E players seem to be a bunch of boring normies. I think you should just find something better than D&D.

Avenger: Paladin Archetype that loses spell slots, and instead gains uses of Smite that would end up being more than what they could get as base paladin.

Being normal is somehow considered bad, you fucking wat.

When being "normal" involves a lack of creativity, innovation, and just rolling dice with no characterization, then yeah.

Hopefully that's not you?

>that projection
How did us normies hurt you?

Posted this once before, still considering how unbalanced it'd be.

>Race: Oni
>Size: Medium
>Speed: 30 feet
>STR+2, CHA+1

>Rapid Healing- If you are below half your hit point maximum and not unconscious at the start of your turn, you regain 1 hit point. If you take acid or fire damage, this trait doesn't function at the start of your next turn. In addition, you have advantage on death saving throws and become conscious with 1 hp after passing 3.
>Powerful Build- You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
>Change Shape- You can magically polymorph into a Small or Medium humanoid. Other than your size, your statistics are the same in each form. The only equipment that is transformed is one weapon, which shrinks so that it can be wielded in humanoid form. If the you die, you revert to your true form, and your weapon reverts to its normal size.
>Oni Magic- When you reach 5th level, you can cast the darkness spell once per day; you can't do so again using this trait until you finish a long rest. Starting at 13th level, you can also cast Regenerate on yourself with this trait. Once you cast it, you can't do so again using this trait until you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Sup /5eg/, I'm looking at ways of expanding the list of familiars, kind of like the old Improved Familiar feat in 3rd/3.5e/PF, and having something different from the list of animals.

Has anybody devised particular house rules, or is there a DM Guild/Unearthed Arcana, that touches on ways to bring back this sort of functionality? I've already browsed through the Monster Manual and saw the Imp Familiar stuff:

>The imp can enter into a contract to serve another creature, forming a telepathic bond with its willing master. If its master violates the terms of the contract, the imp can end its service as a familiar, ending the telepathic bond.

From that, I kind of had the idea of working somewhere along a Planar Binding, since familiars in 5e by the spell are Celestials, Fey, or Fiends. So the wizard or sorcerer (or warlock) would first conjure the appropriate creature, bind it to a circle or similar, and then use Planar Binding (some sort of special usage, I am thinking, so normal Planar Binding duration wouldn't apply) to enter a contract with the creature where it serves as a familiar and gains all of the Familiar benefits, in exchange for something from the caster.

Obviously the creature would have more latitude than most familiars, since the contract is what's governing it. I even wondered if it would be worth considering the possibility of opening it up to familiars that are stronger than the norm (def. not greater devils/demons and shit though, that'd be stupid), if the caster can give an appropriate contract with appropriate difficulty. I'm really wary about doing it but, because stronger celestials/fey/fiends have a lot more that they can do.

So looking at all this, does /5eg/ have any suggestions, prior experience with familiars I'd need to take into account, or other criticisms of the idea?

Another thing that made Avenger different from paladin was that it used no armor or light armor, like a monk or rogue.

Dude, it's probably Virt or one of the retards who agree with him, just let it go, or he'll keep shitting the thread up like they did the last one.

No worries, when is Yawning coming out?
Are people excited for it?

Make it a Goliath variant

Just personal experience with Adventurer's League. I don't think it's projection, but I probably am mistakenly attributing boring, vapid gameplay with 5E because that's when I first tried playing sanctioned events at local stores.

Who's Virt?

What CR/stat block would a Mimic (From Edge of Tomorrow) be?

As of now all I have is

>Size- Large
>Speed- 70 ft, swim 70 ft, burrow 30 ft
>Whirlwind Attack/multiattack obviously
>Some kind of ranged attack akin to Firebolt

reference youtube.com/watch?v=iiKeTPL6HPk

Thinking of running a Groundhog Day/Edge of Tomorrow themed short campaign where it's the entire party reliving the day, would be using these Mimics as spawn of some GOO

24th or 26th, I believe and IDK haven't heard much here.
A psychopath with delusions of grandeur in his local rpg scene, he gets off on fantasizing murdering women and elves in disgustingly sick ways, and no I am not joking.

>Yep with is why it would better suited to as a archetype for monk or rogues sines it is basically a assassin with holy powers.

A lot of the people who play in the AL are the worst of the worst, either because they got kicked out of their group or no one wanted to play with them.
Others enter the AL to get a taste of what RPGs are like, it's probably their first time playing, think back to when you first played, did you feel awkward?

Put 4 Illithid in front of 5 level 5's in the Night Below game.

I promise it made sense at the time.

I have a week until the next game, how do I not TPK them?

Conviently have someone stronger drop in, or lower the Illithid's stats and explain it as some kind of sickness.
>As you inspect the bodies you notice blackened veins snake across them

Make them Illithid outcasts who were stripped of the greater part of their psionic abilities. and basically only have telepathy left.

Just stat them weaker. If you need to justify it you could say they were starved some strange parasite has hit their group (coven? hive? I'm not sure what they would use here) or something, but it's not like you're required to use the exact profiles from the monster manual

A purple wurm squishes half of them.
A bulette smashes in from the ceiling and kills some.
Flumphs come to help.
One of the mindflayers has a stroke, they need to call him an ambulance so only one of them stays to fight.
Rocks fall, illithids die.
Upon closer inspection it's not actually mindflayers, but 3 goblins (each) on each others shoulders wearing a squid hat.

Now that the shit show seems done with.

So my PC's today learned the hard way that their actions have consequences and sometimes in the worst possible way.
>Fight a group of 4 knights harassing a family of Tieflings
>They kill one damage the leader and two others
>The Barb tosses the leader about 10 feet diagonally
>Sorcerer Thunderwaves him 10 feet from her
>He runs and mounts a horse
>They run and try to kill or knock down the horse
>Fail
>Last PC near the enemies runs and kills the horse
>Leaves the family near two enemies
>They now have the mom and youngest boy hostage
>Failed intimidation and then kill the leader
>The two knights slit their hostages throats and go to attack the last two

They managed to kill the last two, one literal had 1 HP before they all decided to attack the guy on the horse. So anyone else ever had PCs handle a situation so poorly that you put them through the emotional wringer?

>Mfw the last guy leaves people obviously hostile to this family alone with them

Enclave.

Nobody answered because nobody cared, that has not changed, your PC's were stupid, nothing new. *claps*

So what kind of campaigns do you run/play in?

Was wondering if the PCs I run for were just that dumb or if it's normal and now I know.

This:
Except rather than just generally lower their stats, use it as an excuse for them to either not use their Devour Brain ability (their tentacles are deformed, withered and sickly-looking) or to cut the damage on their Mind Blast

I got your back user

>Avenger: Either Vengance Paladin, or Hexblade Warlock with the Blade Pact and Armor of Shadows ability

>Runesmith: Sozzo, nothing her.

>Warden: Storm Herald Barbarian fits the controller set when they rage (but not much else), and Primeval Guardian Ranger is literally based on Warden's skill set.

>Invoker: Raven Queen warlock, light cleric.

Memes aren't really a problem in my game. The setting is already pretty trope heavy, and our group has a relaxed, "let's not be too serious" attitude towards sessions. Cracking jokes and making light of the situation is to be expected, so if a meme is uttered or referenced everyone gets it and moves on.

since we are talking bout anime, I'm looking for setting were anyone can use magic that doesn't full retarded harem/powerlevel shit like touma does.

So how does one create a decent artificer (alchemist)? It seems at earlier levels it's pretty shit, and only really opens up once you hit level 9.

I need help.
Someone is doing a watery Lovecraftian game for me and I'm torn between Bard and Paladin, I know nowt about 5E and I'm looking for a bit of a skill monkey-ing type.
What are my options basically, I know 5E is a lot more versatile than 3.5 so a Paladin might be viable, but I don't know enough about either class to know how they roll.

If you want a skill monkey type go with a bard.

Paladin gets at best (unless you pick a race that gives them skill proficiencies) 4
Bard gets 5, and then some more if you pick Lore College, and can have double Proficiency in a few of them.
Still, go with paladin.

There's this short story i read in dragon + about a flumph rescuing some dudes trapped by illithids, try having the illithids imprisoning the party for later experimentation and have flumph mc goodguy save them.

Yeah I should have been more specific, I agree with lowering their abilities, mind last mostly because with four of them that shit would stack hard.

What're the benefits of Paladin'ing it up over Bard-modo?

Being a paladin and at sixth or so level you add your charisma to ally saving throws

Illithids mind control them, then after some time something weird happends and illitids die

>How do you combat memes in your game, /5eg/?
Before we begin I tell my new players to take making and playing their characters seriously.

This occasionally requires clarification that I'm not saying "everyone must play the grim and gritty action bastard and nobody may have any fun OOC", but usually we fall into the happy medium of characters who aren't either bland murderhobos or walking memes without issue.

The Illithids need quick and easy muscle for something so they mind control the party and bring them to the other fight, against gith or something.

Then you have the mind controlled party help the illithid fight a bunch of gith and make sure the gith prioritize the illithids

>haven't played in months due to a new person being on vacation every session or deaths in someone's family
>hey let's get the gang together this friday
>oops my grandma is in the hospital now
>hey lets get the gang together two days later
>oops my grandpa is in the hospital now
what horrors will this next week bring

When I get to finally getting a physical copy of the primary books (not looking to get the APs just yet) any meme related shit will be taken out in the non story setting I'm making.

Essentially, as a newbie gm, I came up with the idea of a ultra meta setting that exist outside of all potential settings in DND which for me allows me to test anything and everything without committing to anything in a setting and most games/gaming will take place their. Beyond that, the characters will have no recollection of ever being there if an AP is ran or if I do my own homebrew shit.

Long story short. provide an outlet for meme fuckery as well as give me the ability to see how x number group of y classes do against z challenges.

Show the party the illithid stat block and remind them that ranged weapons exist.

With enough space to run and enough arrows, no one should ever die to an illithid.

>playing a GOOlock
>taking a dump at DM's house while the Rogue is off doing stupid shit
>reading all the shampoo bottles in reach
>get to something like this
>tfw I suddenly realize where the DM got the idea for my patron

Have them get captured and the guy with no melee capabilities gets flensing claws from VGtM

Honestly? Make something other than an artificer and just fluff your abilities as technogubbins. As is, it's a mediocre class apart from getting a jetbike mount at level 6.

>Worst OP I've ever seen
>Discord link included
Like clockwork.

>oops my grandpa's mistress who is my actual grandma is in the hospital now