Dungeons and Dragons help

Howdy,

I've got a dungeons and dragons issue I need help with. I'm playing 5th edition, I'm DM'ing, and I'm trying to come up with a series of trials for my character to accomplish. My cleric is going on a spiritual journey and she must visit each of the seven continents, with her party, and gain a brand on her arms, proving she is worthy.

I've tried to come up with some on my own, but writers block is setting in. If anyone has any ideas, good or bad, I'd love to hear them.

I'll post a few D&D memes and post cool D&D stories if you have some. Stories can't help my writing process.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_virtues
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I just like taking about D&D and could use the help.

I'll wait a bit.

I'd start by picking what seven virtues her god would want her to prove.

It's probably a good idea to start with the seven classic virtues, and modify them to your tastes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_virtues

Well her goddess is the goddess of magic and mysteries. Hence why our cleric does not know what will happen once she gets all seven.

I'll look into this. One sec

Anything else?

Does each area she has to go to have a big central theme, like a desert nation?

Sounds like you should rework your premise rather than try to stretch it out.

You're essentially centring the whole campaign on just one of the PCs, and asking her to do the same general thing seven times over.

Cut down the globe-trotting, especially if this is still relatively normal D&D and intercontinental travel is not trivial. Magic and Mysteries is a good theme, because you can put things together with little obvious reason and it won't seem strange.

Yes, she has already done three.

The forth one is in the middle of a renaissance. The value art, music, and science

The fifth is a steam punk type area

The sixth so a society without technology, and basically full of tree hugging monks and Druids

The seventh is a Victorian style area, with very strict rules. Similar to the etiquette that Victorian era people had to follow.

I totally get that. They all have similar tasks that require the group to travel.

7 is a theme for the story.

Our barbarian is searching for the seven women who killed her family.

Our wizard is creating his seventh book, a book about the wildest creatures on the planet

Our cleric has her mission, and our rouge is her aid who will follow anywhere.

Our Druid, monk, and bard are trying to locate pieces of an artifact that will hopefully bring back their old leader

I agree though. I love keeping the myster aspect.

For the renaissance theme, maybe something to do with either paintings that have pocket dimensions linked to them, or a very divinci like inventor went and disappeared and they have to explore is house/workplace and collect puzzle clues from his scupltures and what not.

Oh man! Maybe like an MC Esher style painting? Where a wrong turn could leave you trapped? I like this.

> I'm DM'ing
> for my character to accomplish
If you're DMing, why do you have a character. DMPCs are usually considered a bad taste.

Since you're asking for stories, here's one.

Okay,

What is this world you created?

I refer to her character as mine, since I'm telling the story.

My cleric is not my character. I only DM and nothing else. I don't play at all. Sorry for the confusion on that.

It's a world of my own creation. It has a lot of layers, and I could explain the whole thing, but it would take some time. My characters have been doing this for a full year OUT OF GAME.

My players liked the first two trials they had to go through, but the most recent one didn't seem to excite them as much.

Okay, I'll buy that. Pulpy.

For some reason I myself lean for the mysteries related to each trial to be why each area is so disfferent from others, and resolving them will somehow fix that. Maybe the world got shook up by some cataclysm or something like that.

They had a war happen 50 years ago. It literally ended about a decade before. That could be the event.

The entire Renaissance is because of the war though.

This kinda sounds like FFX

> Healer who must travel from island to island visiting temples
> Instead of brands, she gets monsters
> Has a rag tag group of people, with varying skills, who assist her on her journey
> Each temple has a test, or trial, so the healer can gain her reward.

Thinking on this, and bumping in the mean time.
Any more restrictions you can think of would help.

Boundaries help define the creative process, otherwise it's just making stuff up in a white room.

Well her friends can help her, but the quest must be completed by her. She must be involved and be the one to complete every trial.

What do you mean by restrictions?

I suppose that makes sense; I usually refer to the group as 'my PCs' when speaking with other GMs.

I'd suggest the cleric has to visit each of the seven continents, and encounter and learn the history of three saints (alive or dead) on each continent- their story and deeds, culminating in gaining their blessing, imitating their great deeds, or winning the approval of their flock.

Okay, this I can think about.

See the first three tasks weren't like this, but I could possibly make the last three like this. Those areas are far more traditional with religion then the others.