Who's the better small, gnomes or halflings?

Who's the better small, gnomes or halflings?

I don't have a picture of either of those, so here's a bridge. I think it's pretty nice. Maybe you could have a fight on it.

Kobolds

Gnomes:
>magic n' shit
>know lots of facts
>fine taste in luxuries

Halflings:
>magic is no replacement for cleverness
>know lots of truth
>fine taste in food

I really like gnomes as npcs. Kooky tinkerers or wacky pranksters or whatever. and if youre leaning into the fey aspect it can be cool but I just feel like gnome player characters have a tendency to be disruptive in a way that can frustrate the other party members.

Halflings on the other hand are just absolutely perfect for player characters

I don't mind gnomes, but I really just don't like halflings/hobbits/whatever equivalent. Never have, never will. All they do is sneak around and eat inbetween-inbetween meals. I guess I'm just low-key racist against halflings?

I only like gnomes when they're tiny enough to live in mushroom houses. Flesh-colored smurfs, basically.

Definitely gnomes.

kenders

Patrician taste

>>know lots of truth

???

Gnomes. Halflings are basically ripped off wholesale from Bilbo and Frodo, while Gnomes have a modicum of creativity behind them.

>Gnomes. Halflings are basically ripped off wholesale from Bilbo and Frodo
Wait, your argument is that Halflings are BS because they're ripped off from Tolkien? Because if that disqualifies something, you might as well throw the 2/3 of the fantasy fiction written in the last half century in the bin.

Nah, you want your gnomes to be large enough to ride foxes. Although maybe they could be super sized mushrooms?

Pic related: It's obviously gnomes.

Hobbits are just a bunch of short, fat, hairy guys who get worked up about jewelry. Whereas gnomes are former trolls who have been transformed from hideous monstrosities into cute forest helpers by accepting Jesus Christ as their lord and savior.

#THEMOREYOUKNOW

>>know lots of truth
>???
I'm going to guess that's a non-native english speaker trying to say "wisdom".

Is this a setting like wowcraft where the gnomes are mechanically-adept enough to build giant robot suits? That could sway the vote.

Gnomes

Everybody knows that halflings are just crossbreeds that no race will own up to creating

Dwarves obviously.
Anything else is just lesser dwarfs.
Dvärgar kan be like common halfling if you wish for it.
Dverger are faeries, dark demons, friendly spirits, ghouls living underground, or perhaps you wish them to be merchants, or great merchants with crafts and technology beyond compare, some dwarven species are just solitary scavengers hovering on madness spiteful towards all, greedy drunk jews? Strong short Scots that never say no to a good fight?

Or are they a little bit of all the above?

Kender genocide when?

>you might as well throw the 2/3 of the fantasy fiction written in the last half century in the bin
And that would be bad why?

The majority of what's left would be people who intentionally created something from a different stripe, so as not to be called unoriginal, but still used JRR as the baseline from which they chose to deviate. It's hobbits all the way down.

Halflings.
I'm against gnomes as anything other than spirits of elemental earth.

Only right answer in this thread so far.

in my setting, gnomes are halfbreeds between halflings and elves that are true breeding.
deep gnomes are the product of a lot of drow on halfling rape

Yes.

This guy has the gist of it.

EVERYBODY is influenced by Tolkien. Post-LotR, all fantasy fiction can be divided into three categories - those that are unconciously ripping on Tolkien, those that are aware they are ripping on Tolkien, and those that are aware and doing their damndest NOT to rip on Tolkien. Any way you go, the man's influence is there.

Middle Earth has become so deeply entwined with the language of fantasy that it's almost impossible for modern readers and gamers to even THINK about the subject outside of the context it provides.

my man

dwarves aren't small though

But why would we fight on that bridge, when we can have a nice discussion and airing of grievances whilst enjoying a breath-taking view of the surrounding countryside?

>Just robot suits?
You're thinking small time. Old school gnomes made titanic sized robots. Big enough to have an entire adventure where the party runs around in the robots body parts.