MTG Magic The Gathering Ask A Judge - 「 B L U E M O N D A Y 」

Good morning and welcome back!

So I read that searing blaze needs a creature to target for it to work, so I can't just searing blaze the opponent if they have nothing on the field. However, if they had a creature down, say a 1/1, and I had 2 searing blazes in hand, could I searing blaze that creature and then in response searing blaze it again, so that they get hit with two despite the first one killing their creature?
Thanks for doing these threads by the way.

Correct on both counts. You can't cast a spell without a legal target for all instances of the word "Target" on the card (in this case, 'target player' and 'target creature that player controls'). BUT, once the spell has been cast, it'll still resolve as long as even one target remains legal. So if you double-Blaze a 1/1, the first one will kill it and donk the opponent for 1 (or 3). Then the next will go to resolve, skip the creature part (since it has no legal target anymore), and do all it can; in this case, donking the opponent for 1 (or 3). The latter is also true; if you throw a pair of Blazes at a 5/5 to kill it, and your opponent gives themselves Shroud in response somehow, the creature still gets donked, because it's still a legal target.

And you're welcome!

Does scion of the ur dragon's ability trigger come into play effects? Like if you search up Bogarden hellkite for example. I'm inclined to say it doesn't, but i'd like the official ruling.

Nope. It's not entering the battlefield, because it's already ON the battlefield. All you're doing is changing what it looks like.

If I cast a creature for it's dash cost and exchange control of it with an opponents creature(pic related) the dashed creature will return to my hand at the end step, right?

Yep! It creates a delayed trigger that says "If this spell's dash cost was paid, return the permanent this spell becomes to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step".

I have foreign language cards in my deck. I know that's fine as long as I'm not doing it for advantage and provide all information that I'm obligated to provide.

But if I loan out a deck with FL cards to somebody, what's the best way for them to handle them? Just call a judge for the oracle text of every one they don't recognize by art?

During play, are you allowed to ask a judge about a hypothetical play involving cards in your hand? If so, is the judge required to answer in a way that maintains the secrecy of cards in hand?

Unrelated, if I control someone's commander, do I make the call on returning to the command zone or do they?

>as long as I'm not doing it for an advantage
Incorrect. It's legal, period. The only time things get sketchy is with miscut cards. You can run any language version of a card you want, it is 100% legal, even if your sole reason is "So I can only give them partial (but accurate) Derived Information to trick them". There might be an exception for things like Spanish Meloku, but those are few and far between.

Anyway- all cards are treated as having their Oracle text printed on them. If you need to double check the Oracle of any card, even YOUR OWN (for example, because it's in a different language, or is a textless promo), it's fine to call a Judge and just say "I have a question about a card in my hand" and ask for the Oracle for that card away from the table.

Yes and yes, in that order. You can just say "I have a question about some cards in my hand", or just "I'd like to ask a question away from the table", and the Judge will step away with you so that your opponent doesn't hear the question.

They make the call. The call is always made by the Commander's OWNER. You'd need a Mindslaver effect to 'override' that.

>The call is always made by the Commander's OWNER

No fun allowed. Thanks anyway for the quick, helpful response! Back to the drawing board~

I have Spellskite in play. My opponent K Commands, targetting skite for the destroy artifact and deal 2 to another creature. I was told I can't redirect the 2 damage to spellskite as well.

Why not?

Another question about Scion:

When he copies something and attacks, is it considered commander damage or not because he's technically a copy of something else?

You can. For something like Electrolyze, which says "Up to N targets", you can't pick the same target more than once. For something like Kokakola Command, which says 'target' multiple times, you CAN select the same target for each mode. Spellskite can shunt the 2 damage back over to it, saving your guy.

"Commander-Ness" is inherent to the card itself.

probably a stupid question non the less could not find a straight answer online if I draw reforge the soul on an opponents turn can i cast it because it is the first card drawn by myself that turn and is miracle at instant speed or is it a activated ability such as cycle?

You can. Miracle is not an activated ability; it's a static ability linked to a triggered ability.

NORMALLY you can't cast a Sorcery during someone else's turn. The reason for that is not because a rule says you can't, but because no rule says you *can*. The Magic rules are permissive, not restrictive by nature, and you can't drop a Sorcery during someone else's turn because the rules define "when you can cast a sorcery" as "During your own main phase while you have priority and the stack is empty". Miracle, however, is giving you permission to cast a spell at a time you normally couldn't (during the resolution of a triggered ability). So, now you have permission to cast Reforge the Soul during someone else's turn.

Opponent wants to attack and I have no blockers on the board, but a creature with flash in my hand. When do I play it? I can't get the hang of declare attackers/blockers step

am i getting this corect
>cast spell countering zada
>spell gets countered
>spell still gets coppied because zadas trigger happens ON CAST

You'd need to flash it in during the Declare Attackers step. That's the only chance you're guaranteed to have priority between "these dudes are swinging" and "pick your blockers".

Combat goes like this, as a phase:

>Beginning of Combat Step
All players get priority
>Declare Attackers Step
Attacks are declared as a turn-based action, then all players get priority
>Declare Blockers Step
Blockers are declared as a turn-based action, and in the event of gang-blocks (or one blocking many things), damage assignment order is decided. All players get priority after that.
>Combat Damage Step
All combat damage is assigned and dealt. Then all players get priority.
>End of Combat Step
All players get priority. This is the last chance you get where you're still "in combat".

Right. Her trigger fires when the spell is CAST, not when it RESOLVES. It doesn't care whether or not the spell resolves.

This is less relevant now that you can command zone them when they get tucked but it happened before that was in effect.

Daxos' effect can still cast your commander if you choose to return it to the command zone instead of letting it enter exile.

(Question is this part)
My interpretation from the comp rules though is that if the Daxos player has to start paying a commander tax that is tracked separately if they cast your commander from your command zone more than once.

blood moon
>seat of synod & friends
artifact is a type and not a supertype? so something like cranial plating only sees 'land - mountain' right?
is supertype legendary and tribal? any other supertypes?
>rav bouncelands
looks like the bounce trigger doesn't happen from the last ruling, but it still enters tapped due to the third.
>chromatic lantern
now my nonbasics are 'land - mountain' that can tap for any colour, right?

plus normally you can't cast sorcerinos during your draw step, which miracle lets happen most often

i think you misread the ask, user wants to know when zada herself is countered if the counterspell is copied. it wouldn't because zada isn't on the field.

Shit, I totally whiffed on this, I'm sorry.

A commander cast from the Command Zone costs 2 more for each previous time that player has cast it from the Command Zone. So if you Daxos their Commander to the Command Zone, it won't have a tax (unless YOU have cast it before), and it won't tick their tax up.

Artifact is a type, not a supertype. Blood Moon won't override "Artifact", though; it'd be an Artifact Land - Mountain.

The supertypes are Legendary, Basic, World, Snow, and Ongoing.

Karoos will enter tapped because their replacement effect still exists *as* they enter, but the "bounce a land" trigger won't fire because they're Mountains at that point.

Correct. Blood Moon overrides abilities printed on the card by setting a basic land type in layer 4, but Lantern gives new abilities in layer 6.

Oh, my mistake.

Yeah, Zada's ability doesn't work on the stack, and it only works on spells that Zada's controller casts.

hold up
so if for some reason the opponent's commander goes to the top of their library repeatedly and daxos keeps hitting them and they choose to put their commander in the zone instead of exile and daxos keeps casting the commander the daxos player can rack up their own commander tax for an opponent's commander? never gonna happen but the more you know

>it'd be an Artifact Land - Mountain.
neat, so cranial plating will count it and i can use it for quicksmith spy

>The supertypes are Legendary, Basic, World, Snow, and Ongoing
world and ongoing aren't used in 'normal' play just planeschase right?
why isn't tribal a supertype if it comes before the dash in the typeline? that's confusing

World is actually a really old thing. Used to be a thing called "World Enchantments" which were basically superlegendary. Only one World permanent could exist at a time, and if a second one entered the first one went byebye.

World is a supertype found on some old-ass enchantments (for example, Concordant Crossroads). They haven't printed any since like, 96.

Tribal isn't a supertype because supertypes can't have subtypes. On the left of the dash you have Supertypes (World, Ongoing, Legendary, Basic, Snow) and Types (Artifact, Conspiracy, Creature, Enchantment, Instant, Land, Phenomenon, Plane, Planeswalker, Scheme, Sorcery, Tribal, and Vanguard). On the right are subtypes. Tribal is a type (rather than a Supertype) because subtypes correspond to TYPES, and the whole point of Tribal is to slap creature types onto noncreature cards.

I asked this in the general yesterday positive but limited results, but can I pair Snapcaster Mage to Deadeye Navigator, cast a burn spell, and blink them a few times to copy it? It's not like cascade where it's a new stack right? I can just choose the order?

Sorry meant dualcaster. It's late.

>a new stack
There's only one stack, because it's a zone in the game. That'd be like saying "a new battlefield".

Anyway, I'm assuming you meant Dualcaster, not Snapcaster. Yes, assuming you have a bunch of 1U available, you can cast a spell and then keep blinking Dualcaster. You pay 1U to blink it, it'll trigger, you target the spell to copy. Everyone gets priority (because an object was added to the stack), so you just have to explicitly say you're retaining priority to activate your Mage again once the Soulbond trigger hits.

You can do that a few ways; you could blink it in response to the copy trigger (or after it resolve, but before the copy does) so you have a hot mess of spells ready, or you could let each copy resolve before getting a new one, if you'd rather do that.

tl;dr yes.

BED.

Yes you could copy a spell with dualcaster mage and deadeye navigator a bunch of times.

Does Deadeye's ability just cost one U if I jack up a Mizzix on tokens?

On the topic of FL cards, would it be alright in a FNM setting, or even a more professional tourney, to have an English copy of the card on hand for reference as long as it's clearly marked as not being part of your deck or side board (like in a completely different sleeve than your deck)? Or is it just a better idea to call a judge over when you or your opponent has a question?

>Instant and Sorcery spells you cast cost 1 less
as you're activating an ability and not casting either an instant or a sorcery, the cost reduction does not apply

1) Experience Counters, not tokens.

2) No. Deadeye's activated ability is not an instant or sorcery spell.

Technically you can get away with bringing in a printout of the Oracle, but you'd need to get HJ approval because it's possible to sneak notes into it, and outside notes aren't okay.

Having an English copy handy should be fine, but I'd advise just not bothering. Your opponent can just ask the Judge for the Oracle text (and there's a damn good chance they'd ask regardless, because they might think you're trying to trick them).

Did I screw up on any of these interactions?

Chancellor of the Spires targeting Saheeli's Artistry = infinite Chancellors, Infinite Artifact Copies, and even infinite instants/sorceries in opponent's graveyards because I can start copying Chancellor twice when they start becoming artifacts themselves?

Also, Chancellor of the Spires plus Rite of Replication, plus kicker = Target the same Dark ritual with 3, and then target and kick Rite of Replication again for infinite mana and instants/sorceries in opponents graveyards.

Chancellor + Saheeli's Artistry will let you make as many Chancellors as you want, since it doesn't exile the Artistry. Once you've done it once, you have an artifact target, so you can start using both modes, having one token give you an Artistry copy, and the other copy a different spell from the opponent's graveyard.

Second bit, you're mistaken. The first trigger will cast the Dark Ritual, and the next two will whiff because it changed zones and is a different object. You'd need three different Ritual spells.

Bed for real this time.

Imprisoned in the moon and blood moon are both out. Does the enchanted permanent tap for colorless mana or red mana, and does it matter which came out first?

If I have two of these on the battlefield and gain 4 life, do I receive two tokens?

Yep

Hypothetical that came up recently. I wanted an actual answer. I have zero cards left in my deck. My opponent is at 1 life. I cast Electrolyze targeting my opponent's creature, and their face. How does this game actually end? Do I lose because I attempted to draw a card before state-based-actions are checked for damage?

State based actions are checked simultaneously whenever either player has priority. Nothing is checked while Electrolyze is resolving, but once it finishes it's business, SBA's are checked and find that you tried to draw from an empty library and your opponent was on zero or less life. It's a draw.

AFAIK

Just wondering, if someone decides to attack with seven 2/2 creatures and non of them have anything special like trample can it block all 7 even if the last few blocks exceeded its toughness? Also if it has indestructible can this badboy always block 8 creatures?

yes and yes

How much are spectators allowed to intervene in a match?

I'm a judge for Pokémon TCG and one of my friends saw someone cheating but didn't stop the match and call a judge because he believed that spectators can't stop a match, using MtG as a precedent.

You are allowed to call a judge on it. You are not allowed to fix it yourself.

Quick question on paradox engine and strion resonator.

If I'm playing narset and go to attack her trigger goes on the stack, I tap resonator to add a copy of her ability to the stack. If I draw 4 cards from one trigger anf hit an instant can I cast it and add another copy of narset ability to the stack or does the stack of 2 resolve and I wait until the following turn.

Really this question boils down to: once the stack starts resolving is that it? I'm 99% sure it is but thought it check.

The stack resolves one item at a time, and everybody gets a chance to do things before another item resolves. You can absolutely let one trigger resolve then do something then let that thing and another trigger resolve then do another thing and etc etc etc.

Quicksmith Rebel can't 'name' Sphinx of the Steel Wind but Quicksmith Spy can?

Key word here is 'target', which is stopped by protection from red.

Interesting... I haven't been playing long so this helps a lot. Follow up question, the original trigger will be at the bottom of the stack, can paradox untap the resonator and copy that trigger as it still exists on the stack?

Also can resonator copy planeswalker abilities?

No because planeswalker abilities are activated abilities, not triggered abilities.

>Also can resonator copy planeswalker abilities?
no, as those are activated abilities. you'd be looking for Rings of Brighthearth to do copy planeswalker abilities.

triggered abilities are "when," "whenever" or "at"

No-one ever asks, how are you doing buddy?

Yep!

They take 2 and you try to draw from an empty library. Then you put Electrolyze in your graveyard. Then SBAs are checked and kill both of you. Game is a draw.

It can overblock even if that would kill it. Yes.

At Regular and Comp REL, a spectator can say "Stop the game, something is wrong and I need to get a Judge". They can't intervene beyond saying 'stop, I need to get a judge'. At Professional, they can't interrupt the match at all, all they can do is go get a judge.

If you cast something out of Narset's pile, it'll trigger Engine, and untap Resonator. You can then use it to copy the ability still on the stack.

"The stack of 2" does not resolve. The stack is a game zone, and it does not resolve. OBJECTS on the stack resolve, one at a time, and all players get priority between resolutions.

They don't 'name' anything. "Name" as a verb has a very specific meaning in Magic. These two TARGET something, and yes, Spy can target Sphinx of Akroma, but Rebel can't, because pro-red.

>First bit
Yes, that's how it works.

>Second bit
No. Loyalty abilities are ACTIVATED. You want something that says 'when', 'whenever',or 'at'.

Fairly alright, thank you!

How important is it that judges shut down "bribery" attempts? Like, is there legal exposure involved?

I ask because last night two players (one looked about 15) were playing in the standard event at our shop and the older one went "it's late and I'm tired. I'll give you one of my prize packs if you scoop to me".
Not five seconds pass before the judge swoops in and DQs the both, the kid hadn't gotten a chance to say anything and was so confused why he was being punished.

I asked the judge before going home and according to him it's "if you don't instantly call a judge it's a double DQ no exceptions." Which seems super harsh.

That is correct. We have to be super harsh on that, because it disrupts the integrity of the event. The MTR tells us that both players will be penalized if the offered player doesn't immediately call a judge. Now, if it was so fast that the offered player couldn't have reasonably called the Judge, that might be a bit overzealous, but I wasn't there so I can't really comment on that.

Yeah, it was barely long enough for me to realize "did that just happen?" Before the judge told them to pack up and leave.

Still feels fucked up that refusing a bribe is grounds for a DQ.

Well, you wouldn't necessarily get snap-DQed if you refused the bribe. Ideally a judge should get involved. The reason for that 'you need to call us ASAP' is so you can't sit there and mill it over.

It seems draconian, I agree, but WOTC is firm on this shit.

That was what the guy implied at least. I'll ask at FNM properly but he made it sound like he counted to 3, and when he didn't hear a judge call by then stepped in and kicked them out.

Like I said, I wasn't there, but the documents do say that if the offered player doesn't call a judge basically right away that they're DQed as well.

Interaction question:

My friend has crystal shard and a myr enforcer (4/4). I have a 3/3 creature and crossbow infantry (tap: deal one damage to target attacking or blocking creature).

My friend attacks with his myr enforcer, so I block with the 3/3 and use crossbow infantry's tap effect to kill it. So my friend uses crystal shard to return his my enforcer to hand.

My friend claims that he is returning it to hand after the combat damage is applied but before the crossbow infantry tap effect is used. Therefore my 3/3 still dies. Is this correct? Or does the crossbow infantry damage happen while myr enforcer is attacking? Or could I use crossbow infantry to deal one damage, then block with the 3/3?

If anyone can help clarify that would be appreciated

If I have this in play an ddome my opponent with hellkite tyrant do I steal their entire boardstate.

Yep.
All permanents are artifacts, which you gain control of.

Well, that entirely depends on when you activated the Infantry. If you used it after blocks and before damage, his choices are "Save Myr" or "kill 3/3"; he can't do both. He has to bounce his guy before damage to save it, but if he does your 3/3 lives.

If you used it after damage, your 3/3 is already dead by the time you're activating the Infantry, so he can totally do that. So it's entirely up to you, based on when you use Infantry.

Yep!

Thanks for the help!

This was one of those weird "damage on the stack" things wasn't it?

In the past, yeah. Pre M10, even if you pinged it before combat damage, he'd be able to Crystal Shard it to his hand "in response" to combat damage, killing your 3/3 and saving his Myr.