/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

TO THE ABYSS WITH THEE edition

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A

>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-january-2017/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/whats-the-deal-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question:
What's the most useful Discipline and what's the most useless one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xfT5uoNuNMc
sendspace.com/file/pm8am9
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>TFW you play an NWO researcher who attempts to scientifically quantify the phenomena the Traditions wield so as to safely understand and harness them.

>They throw lightning at you when the last thing you would ever do is kill, mindwipe or convert them, but if you make contact, you're a traitor.

>Your chosen field has already made you a disgrace to the convention - only connections you've managed to make with a Japanese group with similar interests and a lot of weight to throw around have kept you from getting cancelled.

Also first for Mage Supremacy.

>The Scelesti are the masters of their own damnation, the Nephendi bow to otherworldly horrors.
And the Scelesti bow to Abyssal Entities, the Nephandi just use the power from beings closest to Oblivion (it's actually written that the oldest don't think much about the worship, it's just a way to bring Oblivion faster).
There's a lot of overlap between the two of them, which is probably a bit bad, but it seems well enough that we can find differences in them if needed.

Most useless is probably Dementation. Most useful is Thaumaturgy.

See, the thing is, the fluff still supports that. It's just that mages use the same term to refer to *both* mages who take a legitimate anti-magical philosophy for whatever reason and to those who experience Awakenings gone wrong.

And for a pretty obvious reason: to an outsider, they would look so similar that any differences come down to pure semantics.

Remember: magic is generally seen as being a wonderful thing. And it's hard to disagree with the prospect of being able to shape reality with your mind. To the typical Awakened, be they Pentacle or Seer, somebody looking at magic and thinking "that's evil!" is clearly screwed up in the head and it's probably easier and *safer* to put them down like a rabid dog.

Is that vampire with a gun supposed to be threatening?

>Obrimos LOL

I'm genuinely curious, user: are you on the autism spectrum?

No opinion on disciplines but you made me want to play Redemption a bit

>Most useful
I would say Vicissitude. I mean, when is turning your self into a dragon not helpful?
>Most useless
Thanatosis. It's Vicissitude but worst.

Auspex is the only one that will particularly fuck you if nobody has enough of that specific one.

COFD
>Most useful
Auspex
>Useless
Blut Alchemie imho. It's great that you can shit gold after a lengthy process when most vampires can just walk up to a guy and tell him to hand over the wallet

Can't you make napalm or cyanide gas?

What would be an example of an Arcana 10 spell?

Hunter chronicle. Part of a compact of a famous cult buster (AU Ted "Black Lightning" Patrick) who founded AU Cult Awareness Network. Retire because old, feeling you are leaving world in capable hands. A major money cult buys AU!CAN, subverting it to funnel people towards their programs. AU!Ted comes out of retirement to bust some more cults and finds himself in conflict with his creation.

What is the otherworldly evil at the core of Alternate universe Church of Scientology?

That's the practice of Assumption.
Lasting control over every aspect of everything under the Arcanum's purview.

The problem is that while you can make useful stuff with it the whole process of deducing and making things with blood can be better replicated with blood sorcery.
Temporal increase to blood potency has very narrow uses and can be double edged sword.

The thing is this was made for 1ed so it's obviously underpowered in 2ed but I do have a bit of a problem coming up with idea how to update it to make it distinct from stuff Ordo Dracul or Theban/Cruac can do already

>Most useful
Auspex, Obfuscate and Fortitude are very useful, Thaumaturgy and Necromancy great toolboxes.
>Most useless
I'm having a hard time thinking of one that doesn't have any use, probably the Daughter's one if it still requires more practicants to be effective, unless I remember it badly.

>What's the most useful Discipline and what's the most useless one?
Celerity and Dominate. The bad ones tend to be those of very niche bloodlines, both in nWoD and oWoD.

I need to listen to an actual play podcast of werewolf the apocalypse

anybody got any links?
>hard mode
that start at the first session
>bring em' on
that doesn't feature the ST's mage wifu/s as unkillable NPC's a-la a Bethesda game

In Awakening 2e, what Arcana are needed to fix a human who's been claimed by a spirit?

Is Spirit alone sufficient, and if so, at what level?

Isn't the literal antichrist supposed to be a Nephandi in WoD?

Some Scelesti choose to bow, it's not a prerequisite. Also, no Widderslainte. If Dave or anyone else tries to make reincarnation canon I will shit a million bricks. That and Avatars were the things I didn't like in Ascension.

Spirit 4 for the equivalent of the exorcism spell under death
The problem is they will probably just reclaim the person or someone similar at the next available opportunity.

Thaumataulagy is actually pretty cool. Dementation is fun, if only from NPC reaction, but not as useful as Dominate.

"Have you ever fucked a man who can fly?"

I think Hunter wants to have a word with you, Dave.

Huh?

Reposted from the other thread, since I posted it right before that thread died and this one came to be.

Serious question tg.

How do I play vampire the masquerade (or any of the other vamp books) without inevitably always ending up so pissed off and distrustful that almost every character I make ends up dead by the end of the first storyline?

Is VtM just that kind of game? Am I missing the point somehow? Is it natural for vamps to become uncontrollably paranoid and hostile to basically everyone? Am I just "that guy"? Is the game just not right for me period?

Almost every time I end up in a situation in which I can't tell who is friend and who is foe and I end up just saying fuck it and trying to slay everyone.

Its one thing if this is simply the nature of the game, its another if I'm actually doing it wrong.

Please help.

Murder your ST. It's the only way

Prefer to avoid that option for the moment.

Trying to figure out if its something to do with the game / the game's lore, or if its just me being not right for the game because to distrustful already as it is.

Ashwood Abbey quote

can't your dumb ass just take more / better social powers? or are you running a nosferatu over and over and fucking up your social rolls constantly?

youtube.com/watch?v=xfT5uoNuNMc
DOIT

Nothing can help you now. You must commit to action

No, I've just experienced 'frenzy of backstabbing' endings so many times now that it seems like its 100% inevitable that everyone betrays everyone and the fail condition is the only possible end.

Maybe I'm just playing with the wrong people, but I'm also not sure of that because I'm naturally very distrustful.

Spirit 4, the Banishment spell.
Use the Reach option, and then enhance the duration and it can't Claim again for the duration.

I found your problem
you aren't role playing, you're making characters, but you're just putting yourself beat for beat in their shoes

I suggest you role play someone who HAS to rely on someone else next time you play or else has to go out of their way to mentor others even if they don't want it

Which arcana will let me recreate third impact?

Not sure I understand your answer. I thought role playing was a kind of method acting in which the whole point of the thing is to BE the character you have chosen.

>whole point of the thing is to BE the character you have chosen.

yes, and what I was getting at was that instead of you becoming your character, your character becomes you. they lose whatever made them not you and instead gain more and more of your own personality supplanting their own

>Most useful
Thaumaturgy. There are Paths and/or rituals for everything. Even if there isn´t you can make one. All you need is time.
Necromancy could be as OP as Thaumaturgy, if the writers got more creative and went beyond the summon-ghost/command-ghost/animate-dead-bodies routine.

Of the non magical Disciplines, I would probably go with Dominate, it´s fucking brutal.

>Most useless
Thanatosis. Like said, it´s just a shittier Vicissitude (or, for the 3rd level, Protean).

I can see that.

But looking back over it I've also been intentionally fucked over (in game) by some other people in the group a few times, and it's made it VERY hard to trust them, even if its a long time later and we're all using new, different characters.

I mean some amount of fuck-overishness seems inherent to the game, and the least connected and least important people seem to always be the ones who end up getting buttfucked six ways to Saturday night.

But I've also dealt with authority figures (in game) who don't care if I live or die and don't care if I know they don't care, have sent me on certain-death missions they must have known I had no chance of succeeding at, and finally hierarchy members who nonsensically detest their own minions, and that makes no logical sense to me.

I think what I need to do is either start fresh with new people in a new group, or just lay down the dice and go back to the various other P&P systems that I play regularly.

>most useful

Domination: it's useful for feeding, for cover-ups, for getting past security guards, all kinds of stuff

>most useless

Nightmare: it's just a masquerade breech waiting to happen.

That sounds more like an Imperium Rite than a spell.
Because really, that shatters the Pax in such a horrific way that you'd fuckin' better find solstace in the Supernal, because everyone and their daimon is going to be after your ass.

Yeah, that's pretty much equilibrium for a society of junkie cannibals with murder blackouts who get enslaved if they go for the wrong junk.

Do q Belial's Brood Chronicle.

This is actually a goal for my mastigos. If I make it to archmastery Instrumentality will be my Noumenon

I'm a big fan of the building block disciplines. Celerity, fortitude, protean- these are what makes a vampire terrifying. Vicissitude is also terrifying.

Most useless would be Animalism, the first dot is the only multiuser one.

You need to learn to seperate OOC and IC. If you treat other characters with distrust because of their player's previous characters, then you are metagaming and the problem is you. Learn to seperate distrust for a character from distrust of their player.

tldr trust no one and no one will trust you

Anyone got any Shadow Name suggestions for a Reality Stalkers Mastigos?
My character's current Shadow Name isn't quite going to cut the Shadow Name Merit he's going for.

His name will focus around a lack of presence, invisibility, physical avoidance, and mental manipulation of others.

I'm thinking "Absent", or "The Absentee".

ghost, specter, shadow, the forgotten, blur, predator, mist-foot, cock goblin, flutter, shade, the masked, the observer...

Bruce, or maybe Stanley or Harold.

Do you tend to use Tremere Liches more as isolated predators or as a sort of antagonist group akin to the Seers?

In the Awakening setting, is it true that the Silver Ladder worked with the Nazis? I seem to recall a discussion about it, but I don't remember what supplement this might be in.

Some might have, but the Order as a whole didn't support the Third Reich like certain other groups, like the Daksha did.

Some of them, yes.

The only Order to flat-out reject the Axis powers and not get split by World War 2 was the Free Council, who had shit of their own to deal with.

Dave, what Arcana would you need to let a vampire walk in sunlight without? Need to know for my character's wedding. I'm thinking I only need Forces 3 and maybe some Prime.

"He Who Must Not be Named"

Which supplement discusses the Silver Ladder-Nazi relationship? I don't recall reading it in the SL sourcebook.

Also, what shit did the Free Council deal with that's as bad as Nazis?

It's Mage Noir and IIRC the Free Council helped "ex" seers escape the Nazis.

Forgot about Mage Noir. I'll have to give it a read.

What do you mean by "ex" Seers?

>Top Tier
Auspice
Dominate
Thaumaturgy
Obfuscate

>Useful Tier
Presence
Necromancy
Dementation
Fortitude (it's bad, but the only way to soak aggravated damage)

>Useless Tier
Serpentis
Most Bloodlines Disciplines
Animalism
Vicissitude
Obtenebration
Chimerstry

>I wanted to play D&D tier
Celerity
Potence
Quietus
Protean

>What's the most useful Discipline and what's the most useless one?

Most useful: Dominate, Obfuscate, Fortitude

Least useful: Necromancy, Serpentis

>obtenebration
>Useless

Confirmed for never playing VtM

>I'd like it if both sides started suffering a degree of disillusionment in regards to the war canonically.

Except mages are supposed to be fanatics towards whatever belief system they support. Their willpower and conviction is what allows them to operate on a different rule set and awaken to begin with.

I dont play sabbat games, but how is it useful?

Shroud literally disable enemies in mass.
Tentacles make them a one man army.

Then there's Abyss Mysticism.

So I have to wonder - If all the splats have different "power levels," does that really prohibit crossover? Exalted manages to pull it off.

That depends entirely on how happy you are, and how happy other people are, for one person to be substantially less capable in many areas than others are.

It's the classic D&D Fighter/Wizard dynamic, except the game doesn't pretend that you're supposed to be equivalent in power.

>Exalted manages to pull it off
Yeah. Well. Who the hell even cares about Exalted anyway?

Boom. I fucking said it.

Monday Meeting Notes

Dark Eras Companion is going out to backers this week.

>Historical Supremacy!

This won't come up, but that's all usable from Psychic Projection, too.

>Least useful: Necromancy, Serpentis
Don´t you mean Thanatosis?

I thought we were only talking mainline clan disciplines. I ignored Bloodline disciplines since they are all pretty much useless with the exception of maybe Temporis.

Holy cats, that took forever but I'm glad!

Does anyone have the list of the historical periods and associated splats for the Dark Eras Companion?

Mmm disciplines are for buttboys.

Worst arcanum: Death

Most useful: Life

>Most useful: Life

Psshaw, not until Life starts controlling gravity or fate.

(VtM)
>most useless
Dementation. If you wanted to shape a political sphere over time it'd be good I guess, but it's almost never of immediate use. It's an explanation for things that happened in the world, for NPCs and character background. A waste of time in a game where things happen.

>most useful
Obtenebration. It is offensive and utility magic together as one discipline, radically overpowered as the former and utterly without replacement as the latter. If Thaumaturgy covered its concepts instead, it would have been put into like 3 different narrow paths.

I actually like Necromancy. Sure, it´s heavily ST-dependant and I think it needs some more creative powers, but I still like it.

Did I read Monday Notes right, and V20 Lore of the Bloodlines PDF got sent out? Anyone able and willing to share?

Have fun:
sendspace.com/file/pm8am9

Kind of a weird question but I'm trying to figure out a way to use spirit magic to keep myself dry while carrying a plot mcguffin through a rainstorm.

Any ideas?

I'm Gnosis 4 Spirit 4 btw.

Make a rain spirit your bitch.

How would I create a Brujah Nobleman for VDA20?

What's the minimum background dots I need?

Wouldn't a rain spirt want me to get soaked by the rain? Making it act as an umbrella would probably be hubris.

Serpentis lets you dish out agg damage, fight in complete darkness (atleast as od Dark Ages V20) stop people in their tracks by looking at them (while you can heal and they have to just sit there) and soak non-bane agg damage with your stamina.

>I'm trying to figure out a way to use spirit magic to keep myself dry while carrying a plot mcguffin through a rainstorm.
>I'm Gnosis 4 Spirit 4 btw.

Why don't you just travel in Twilight?

>hubris
And this is a problem why?

> EX3 is at the top of the list for serious changes to how we’ve been doing things up until now

Someone is getting fired.

Step 1. Take any given Spirit
Step 2. Turn it into a Spirit of Rain
Step 3. Order it to shape the rain around you.

Now that the dust has settled about WE EAT BUTT, I feel like WW should just give it up and make oWoD an "open-source" IP and just let the fans write this shit, it couldn't possibly be any worse.

>figure out a way to use spirit magic to keep myself dry while carrying a plot mcguffin through a rainstorm

Why do mages always complicate things or use magic to solve the most simple and mundane problems.

Put the object in a plastic bag and get an damn umbrella.

BJ Zanzibar's World of Darkness suggests otherwise, my friend.

It does have the worst of the sort of boss fight transformation powers for cornered antagonists, but grappleless biting doesn't suck.

I dunno man, there was a lot of dumb shit on there true but there were also a few genuinely great ideas sprinkled in. I actually really kinda miss the enthusiasm that fans brought to the table. In any case, We Eat Blood might as well be a module on BJZ 17 years out of time.

>What's the most useful Discipline

DOM supremacy

>dish out agg damage
...with their tongues

>fight in complete darkness (atleast as od Dark Ages V20)
>atleast as od Dark Ages V20

>stop people in their tracks by looking at them
Only mortals, all sups it's Willpower roll diff 9

>soak non-bane agg damage with your stamina
...as a completely immobile mummy

My group wants to play a roving group of Sabbat Inquisitors/Templars putting people straight who are breaching or getting close to breaching the Masquerade likely with liberal applications of violence. Problem is I don't really know how to make this interesting for the players other than "Yeah there's a pack and they're being a bunch of dicks, sort em out."

I'm tempted to set it in DC just after the fall of the city and have the players trying to consolidate power in the city so that staking out and burning an entire pack is too wasteful, but otherwise I'm not coming up with much.

Anyone run a similar game to this or have any thoughts?

In Apocalypse, which tribe has the most black people? Serious question; all the tribes tied to a region of origin are outside subsaharan Africa. Is it just going to be Furies, Gnawers, and Children, and Walkers?