Hey there, Veeky Forums, I'm setting up a Digimon game using Digimon Digital Adventures, and I need some help

Hey there, Veeky Forums, I'm setting up a Digimon game using Digimon Digital Adventures, and I need some help.

I'm trying to come up with some system similar to or identical to the crests in Adventure 01, and I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

My first thought is to make some kind of questionnaire for the players, and the choices they pick regarding their characters determines their crest. I'm not sure this is the best approach though, especially as I've never done a questionnaire like that before.

How would y'all suggest going about doing this?

Other urls found in this thread:

digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Seven_Great_Demon_Lords
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Digimon is shit, play PTU instead.

Thanks for the help.

Hey user, I'm about to run the same shit, but I'm forgoing the crests. What I'd suggest is look at the fluff on their character and their torments. What's a virtue, or just similar good thing since there's like 9+ crests, that they have a seed of but struggle with?

For example, one of my player's characters nearly caused someone to commit suicide, doing the teen age bracket for this campaign, but has never stopped regretting it to the point of serious depression. Clearly, I'd give him the crest of friendship.

Oh I like this. I'll make sure my players give decent backstory stuff to help me do this.

I was also thinking of doing like a second point system where players can put points into different "traits" that I can then translate into crests (and they wouldn't be obvious like "courageous", or at least not all of them would be).

Not a bad idea. Could make the crest stats derived stats too. Like, that stat + a state sort of relevent and then do some other math at it

You could either give out crests based on you observations of a character, or else make it a decision made in creation with some crunch attached.
I recommend the former, unless you want your average party of 5 to have 3 people who run the same crest for its bitchin' passive, one guy pick a crest that lets him minmax, and one guy run Courage because he elected himself leader.

Also, clearly define what the fuck the crest of Light actually is, since it isn't exactly obvious.

I've always felt like the crest of Light represented justice and righteousness. Not sure though, cuz you're right, it's murky as fuck and Kari is OP.

I hadn't thought about making the crests give stats or anything like that... Hmm...

If you use the canon crests, for the sake of a random user on the internet, use Kindness as one of them for the flavor

Oh definitely. I hate seeing things introduced and then left to rot unused in the story.

I kinda wanted to mix it up and not use any of the original crests and use completely new ones, but some of them still make sense to have (if only I was capable of running an eight person game). Though honestly, now that I think about it, I guess most of the ones I'd come up with myself would probably be already covered by the canon crests.

Protection -> Courage/Light/Friendship
Healing -> Sincerity
Empathy -> Sincerity
Guidance -> Knowledge

That's all I have so far. But another thought I had, maybe just use these in place of the originals since I'm running with five people, meaning they basically mean the same with some slight differences?

You could also consider "Dark" crests, which would be the sins to the crests virtues. Or something. It might get edgelordy very quickly if not handled well though. Maybe just something to think of when making villains or something.

Digimon's for old faggots. Everybody's on Yokai Watch now, get with the times.

those exist actually. the 7 demon lords, or whatever they're called, all have crests representing the 7 deadly sins and, like with kindness, there's a sort of 8th sin but no lord or crest for it sadly. I think it was gluttony

no wait, correction. Not an 8th sin. The precursor to the idea of the 7 deadly sins was the 8 evil thoughts. the 8th was like depression or dejection or something while the others were the 7 sins.

Oh, shit, I guess I've been out of the loop on digimon for a while then.

Eh they're one of those meta-plot things. All 7 have never shown up and their crests only ever showed up in their design and the card game
digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Seven_Great_Demon_Lords

I will never understand why it was Pokemon that got the bad reputation in the late 90s/early 00s from moral crusader parents when Digimon was the series with the goddamn Devil as a major character and heavy gnostic and western occult undertones.

Just make up a crest for each individual based on their strongest positive trait. Keep a record of events in each session and read through them later. Remember, we got at least 12 establishing episodes about the original Digidestined before Tai got the crest of Courage, so give them plenty of time to forge their own identity before you bring out the crests.

Also, Joe was the best character in Adventure.

choose your Digimon partner and it's evolutions

Hard Mode: avoid picking any lines from any of the animes

Because "Digivolve" sounds silly, while "Evolution" is an attack on religious fundamentalism everywhere, even if it's actually Metamorphosis because japs can't into english vocabulary.

It probably helped that more people knew about Pokemon, and mostly blew their load on Pokemon.

This. Also the devil was the bad guy and they beat him up. In Pokemon, the magic rats are all good by nature and everyone is friends, except for the evil capitalist team rocket

I don't have a good grasp on what digimon lead to what, I've played a few games and aside from anime lines or obvious ones they aren't always consistent.
All I know is, I wanna end up with Examon. I love the stark contrast the relatively uncartoony dragon has with the rest of Digimon.

Yeah, unlike Pokemon Digimon's never had consistent evolution lines, so basically anything's possible.

Here's a campaign concept. The 13 Royal Knights vs the Olympos XII.

check wikimon.net for some good info, also something to keep in mind is that while some lines are more official than others, theoretically any Digimon can evolve into any other kind

here's an example of a line I recently assembled that works pretty well;

ToyAgumon-> Omekamon-> ExTyranomon-> GigaBreakDramon

also the 4 slot version of the Evolution Chart template

The crest of light is the will of the digital world itself, which is why it has those extra powers.

I've run digimon adventure based games twice and just asked my players to pick one of the crests that represented their character the best. which work out better because we only had 3 players

Ultimate being in two places based on direct or adapted translation always makes me question what something's level is.

The last time I ran digimon I opted to model the setting after adventure and pushed the combat more like tamers with players able to assist their digimon with card-based power ups.

Fun as hell to sprinkle in cards as rewards for combat, exploration, and social encounters. Digitamamon was my reoccurring card-vender and yes mimicking his voice from the dub makes for fucking hilarious table banter.

there's a reason why Wikimon and indeed many fans these days stick with the Japanese names and terminology as much as possible, it makes things less confusing

No it's not, it's straight up justice/revenge. It activates when Kari sees Wizardmon die.

Fair enough, although in my experiences with shitty overzealous religious types, the devil/demons/whatever being the bad guy never seems to matter to them, if it's shown in a thing aimed at kids, unless it's specifically a church-produced thing.

Adults campaign, tamer in the process of dealing with having been a major edgelord as a teenager: Tsukaimon -> Devimon -> NeoDevimon -> Daemon (cloaked) -> ShadowSeraphimon.

I went through as many lists of virtues I could find, and compiled them, putting similar virtues on the same line. Maybe it'll help. Maybe not.

>Kindness4, Love2, Patience
>Wisdom2, Knowledge2, Intelligence, Prudence
>Determination, Perseverance
>Justice3
>Courage3, Bravery, Fortitude
>Loyalty2, Reliability, Friendship, Brotherhood
>Humility, Growth
>Generosity, Charity
>Honesty, Sincerity, Truth, Integrity
>Hope4, Faith4
>Honor2, Purity2, Duty
>Temperance2, Chastity
>Strength, Power
>Light, Fortune, Magic

I always saw Light as being selflessness or something. It was brought out by Wizardmon sacrificing himself to save others, so that's just what I'd guess.

In one story I used "Enjoyment" to have a Dark elemental Crest being used by a heroic character. I still kinda like that idea.

Autism Mode: I use my fanmade Digimon from the aforementioned story

>hard mode

>52286745
>I always saw Light as being selflessness
Also, one of Kari's main character traits was her being destructively selfless, not caring what happens to herself as long as other people were happy. At least in her early appearances.

>I always saw Light as being selflessness
Also, one of Kari's main character traits was her being destructively selfless, not caring what happens to herself as long as other people were happy. At least in her early appearances.

You can do a Digitamamon impression? Kickass.

>e up with some system similar to or identical to the crests in A
Do it like in Shin megami Tensei

Burn

in case anyone asks

bump

Gonna need you to elaborate, user. Haven't played SMT.