WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>I am the hammer! I am the point of His spear! I am the mail about His fist! I am the bane of His foes!
youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

forgeworld.co.uk/en-ES/MKIV-Ironclad-Dreadnought-Body
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Two questions:
1. Has anyone ever made their own transfer sheets with a ink printer?
2. Does the forge world MkIV Dreadnought come with the body crest pictured on forge worlds website and a alternate one like in pic related? Or is it just the one on the website?

forgot link.
forgeworld.co.uk/en-ES/MKIV-Ironclad-Dreadnought-Body

i just finished this deffkopta, it's been a long while since i painted anything orky so the ork itself came out a bit brightgreen but i like it.i could not find the original head so i gave him a helm/goggle'les head, spreadfreak style head open in the wind.

Made a bit more progress on Durthu, I don't know what colour to paint the gaps between the bark, thinking of brown or grey at the moment.
Also since the main colour of this guy is bone i'm at a loss for how to all the skulls on his back

Hey guys, I'm new to painting and I apologize for the paint job on pic related, but I've never made a Space Marine chapter before (never played Space Marines at all actually) and I wanted to see what you guys think of my paint scheme. I haven't decided on a chapter badge yet but I was going for an 80s 40k kind of feel, as this is a test model for some Rogue Trader-era marines I have on the way.
The scheme, if you can't tell due to the poor lighting, is halved; the right half is yellow, the left half is black. The helmet is baby blue with a white stripe in the middle. The bolter has a red plate on it and the chest insignia is a goldish bronze.
The name of the chapter is still up in the air, but I'm kind of liking "Space Paladins" for the simplicity, and it sounds very 80s to me.

tl;dr, what do you think of my scheme and what would you change on it?

>tl;dr, what do you think of my scheme and what would you change on it?

It seems fine... very 80's, but Emperor's Teeth, thin yer paints, m8!

>thin yer paints, m8!
Haha yeah I have that written down on a notepad right in front of me. Trying to up my skills a bit before the Rogue Trader models arrive so I can do them justice. Cheers!

could do the skulls with a light brown so they don't look bleached, maybe some red as well like it was fresh from a body.

Anyone done anything interesting with Anvil Industries Regiments conversion kits and Imperial Guard?
I've bought guns from them before, mainly their firestorm carbines for inquisitorial acolytes with stormbolters but with their new trench fighters range has got me tempted to grab some stuff to add some variety to my army.

How to make mobile phone camera show this detail...

R8 my assault marine

Finally tried my hand at line highlight, almost always avoid it

1/2

find magnify glass

Id say go for it and just mix it in with your imperial regular impwrial guards, or use them as better looking scions

Also blood angel 2/2

i enjoy it, me in your shoes i would add yellow to the sword, hazard lines, use masking tape i think that would really tie in well with the beak. Ink on the seal would be nice too

>R8 my assault marine

Lookin' good. Drill that pistol barrel, though.

I still have a ton of work to do.

You are madman and a genius...

Not quiet a clear shot, but if its to clear you will see all the fuckups

Never tried adding text to a purity seal before

How is this?
Sorry for shitty photo

Alright, first progress on that huge-ass AdMech Mace/Cane. Skull is not attached yet. Unsure if and how much extra decoration and McGuffins I need to make this look like it's a Power Mace.

Was thinking about adding a few of the Electro-Priest wrist electro things onto it below the skull, though not sure if thats enough. Other idea was adding same Priests' backpacks to the back of the skull or dome cables leading...somewhere?

I really need some more input for this.
Hilariously, that damn thing is almost as tall as a fucking Drop Pod.

Anyone got any links for photographing minis

Id say if you add some wiring leading up to it it would be perfect

I m thinking of the type of wireing you see on a servo skull

Yeah i like it. i got back into the hobby very recently but i would do seals like that as a kid (you have much more control than i did at that time) imo if you are gonna be playing with these dudes i think anymore detail on that would be excessive

Do you paint exclusively on your mother's purse?

Was thinking about that, like that thought myself.

My only problem with it is that I have nonclur where to then attach those cables and wires to and even what to properly make them from (copper wire seems too hard and unnatural and I can't think of decent wires from any kit that could do the trick).

Her purse and that of social welfare!

*no clue

Oh you mean the couch lol...

WHY WON'T THIS FUCKING PAINT COME OFFF

I FEEL THE WARP OVERTAKING ME

IT IS A SHITTY PAIN

Its alright, probaby just barely table top to be honest.

I need to drybrush screamer pink, but don't have screamer pink. Can someone with a knowledge of color help me mix it?

try really thin wire, the type they use for circuits on pcb boards

I have a bunch of that shit and it seems like it would be the perfect size.

>Its alright, probaby just barely table top to be honest.
>table top

what are you smoking?

I guess I'll raid our basement and workbench to see if we have some of that lying around. That shit should be purchasable in most hardware stores, right?

ya

the stuff im thinking about is 32 guage i believe. if you want it to be stiff, get solid core, if not, then stranded.

Best i can offer

Aight, thanks! Going to look for it tomorrow and post some of my progress and findings.

Just gotta figure out where to then best lead those wires to, but that bridge I'll pass once I get there.

looks nice

and well done seal

when will this tabletop quality meme die?

why do you come on just to fuck with people on the internet?

The better question is why do you still respond to shitty bait like that?

Barely forum quality writing

This post that I am replying to is barely the quality one would bring to a work in progress modeling forum*

Maybe you guys could help with this, I'm bad at eyeballing what colours I would need to replicate this colour scheme, and was hoping for some advice.

Obviously black and gunmetal going to be required, but would you say that that shade of gold is Liberator Gold? Also, the thing that's been bugging me the most is that the 'black' looks a lot more like a really dark grey in the picture there, or would you just say that is artistic license to make things appear better on paper?

not liberator gold no

try glorious gold from vallejo, citadel pumps out some shitty gold paints.

Finished (?) this nigga up last night.

Many times 'black' is really just very dark grey. Could be that mixing something line Eshin Grey and Abaddon Black could be a decent idea.

And I'd love to know what Citadel gold/copper has that hue, too. Everything I know is shiny as fuck.

Not a fan of the blue personally but it looks good with the wings and if it matches your army cool. Cant fault the model itself but i would paint the base, imo unpainted bases look out of place

Checking the compatibility chart it says Auric Armour Gold is the 'same' shade. I have that for the standard colour scheme anyway, and now I kinda want to try out the alternate one even sooner than I meant to (want it for the Hetaeron Guard).

this

you can not shade black,so most painters use dark grey

That sure doesn't look like the Auric Armor I remember, at least. Godspeed to your efforts, user.

I dig this a lot. NL DP counts as, I take it? The blue and purple might look better matched if they were either a bit closer in color or a bit further, but as above, I dig it.

Indeed. My wife said the same thing about the purple. Going to hit the tips with the airbrush I think.

Posted a few days ago in a /WIP/ thread, didn't get an answer, let's see if that changes this time.

I'm starting a 30K World Eaters army. So far, I have Kharn coming from FW, and I'm going to pick up a box or two of BaC from my local FLGS and throw away all but the models. But that only gets me so far into the army. Does anyone have any 30K World Eater stuff they'd part with? Painted, Unassembled, On Sprue, Forgotten in a corner. . . doesn't matter. Just looking to get the Legion started without paying FWs shipping fees.

Solid idea. I would either weather the armor or add something to break up the blue just a touch more. The colored spikes and leather is nice, but it needs just a touch more to break up the big block of blue.

Touch the thing you want to photograph so that it focuses there. Don't zoom or get too close to it. Use a photo editing app to crop it and embiggen.

Take the name off and we can talk.

Otherwise just kys.

Have you considered China and/or second hand sites

namefag bothers you as much as Tripping? That's odd, but hey if it gets someone talking about models.

Every time I've went to Chinabro it's like 14 hours after they've been shut down or in between runs and not making more for a while. And second hand sites are normally pretty bad miscasts or third party bits being tacked onto GW torsos.

are there any good second hand sites?

Not that sell 30K stuff. At least not reliably.

>not reliably
That's the name of the game when it comes to shopping for second hand stuff. You get what you want at a great price, you just don't get to choose when you can actually buy it, sometimes it works out though.

Gumtree if you're in Aus/UK/a couple of other Commonwealth countries, otherwise I dunno. eBay too I suppose but the prices tend to be a lot worse on there for the benefit of a greater supply.

Pretty minor conversion but it's my first attempt at altering a model. Not a huge fan of the dumb looking ogre faces and I have a shield fetish, thus this came about. What do you guys think?

Also, any ideas on painting up this bad boy with a nice frosted look? Really want to break away from my normally dour color schemes

be nice if you attatched a picture.

Fuck me sideways, it would wouldn't it?

i like it, maybe next time though find a bigger helmet, his hands are fucking huge compared to his head.

I play mainly at gw stores and thus I had to unfortunately use only citadel pieces.

Mierce miniatures actually made gladiator helms that would have been perfect for this. The size of these ogres makes them hard to kitbash

CC on my Celtic Ironjawz color scheme? I don't know if it works or not. The green should be a little darker, but I can't into Photoshop. Also, the blue would have lighter blue checks. The blue on the face is obviously meant to be woad paint.

Second idea

Combine them. Either white armor with blue and green accents, or blue (or green) armor with white and the opposite color accents.

Fuck painting ogres after assembly is finicky

Good idea user.

I'll probably go with your first suggestion. Definitely won't do green armor /aosg/ shat on me when I mentioned it weeks ago, as with the charcoal skin color they resembled Salamanders

Why are you painting Alpha Legion and Death Guard Orruks?

Anybody else suffer crippling indecision when you customize your dudemen?
Spent the last two weeks trying to put together an IW killteam, spent probably close to a hundred bucks on bitz alone, and this is the most I've done. I'm already contemplating ripping off the pistol arm and replacing it with one holding the pistol in the air.

They're two different products you complete retard.

They don't appear to be close to either of those schemes. I didn't know what the Alpha Legion were until you mentioned them, btw. I never played shitty beakies.

Have you highlighted the bottom of the scratches? I can't tell if the camera is just washing them out.

They may throw a fit if you do White/Blue for being pre heresey World Eaters, but who cares? They're your guys. You're the one who has to stare at them on the shelf all day and use them in games, not them.

>They don't appear to be close to either of those schemes

What did he mean by this?

Looked up the lexicanium and I didn't see it. Plus, I wanted the base armor of the 2nd pic to be more grey/gunmetal than white. And there doesn't appear to be any blue on that mini.

Thanks for showing me that the color scheme is cool irl, thought.

All that indecision and it still looks crap.

Thanks. I think Ive mimicd it reasonably. Here's my wip terminator.

My first Knight Crusader is almost done. Just gotta do the base, light weathering, and waterslides.

Don't use an early 2000 flip phone.

And then take your picture from a distance, open it in PS, GIMP or paint and cut it down to size.

>his phone flips

Get a load of Mr. Fancy Pants over here.

Nice fingerprints.

Also, looks like a recast

>EVEN BETTER QUALITY THAN THE ORIGINAL

You don't want too many colours, maybe make the bolter the same blue as the helmet.
Also yeah thin your paints and take your time when painting

Patrician house choice.

m8 did you really go there

Why do Knights always look either super stupid or super cool in photos? I'm gonna guess that the higher the angle of the photo, or the more the legs are viewed straight on to see the dumb splayed V monopose, the worse the model looks. Photos that are shot level or near the ground or hide the leg V make the Knight look really good.

All those mixed marines make your squad look shitty. Hope it was worth it for the memes.

nice buzz light-year vibes you got going here

Few spikes and this thing could look like a renegade knight.

Mate that guy is a regular and has loads of both old and new marines painted up in a great retro style. There's nothing memeworthy about it and they look pretty decent. Thanks for your contribution though.

Ignore him it looks fine. Get on with it though, no point in dwelling on your conversions for weeks on end.

>he knows the regulars

Heck no.

That's a classic meme, not a dab.

Love his movies, Mr J. Fox

Did weathering and basing but I'm not happy with the herald shield. Gonna clean it up later and apply waterslides.

>That's a classic meme
Not him, but I don't really come to Veeky Forums often, care to enlighten me as to what the joke is?

Plasma weapons have a special rule, Gets Hot!, which means they can do nasty things to the wielder if they roll a 1. So the joke is he's holding it far away from his body and shielding his face in case it explodes.

Anyway, got my Skaven all primed up. 40 Clanrats for 16 quid seemed like such a good deal at the time, but now I have to paint 80 tiny little ratmen. At least I'll have fun with the rat ogres.