Lenore the table-toppening?

So, after the recent thread I guess we may as well start getting to it and trying to bring this setting to the table. Which will be what this thread is about. For those just tuning in Lenore or Planet Veeky Forums is a old setting that Veeky Forums came up with over the years.
See well, all of this for information.
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=lenore
This thread in particular is focused on rules discussion, deciding what is or is not canon fluff wise and what might be added in as new material that might be included and what needs fixing. The goal of course is to make this a playable ruleset based on Savage Worlds. So, yeah, Lenore stuff folks.

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=stranded
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/14526718/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

And the PDF with new shit, old shit and some stuff added in.

this is probably a better tag
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=stranded

also, butterroot OP.
Remove butterroot!

yeah I can never really remember which tag works best, I mean hell im pretty sure the actual FIRST thread from a long ass time ago is lost to the dust of the net. And Yes and no, I think Butter-root is sound-ish It makes a good example settlement for a Cult of Personality build. Though I need to type that all up yet...I need a secretary.

What I mean is, it felt like "Mayor of Butterroot Keep" was godmodding.

also, is this not the first thread?
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/14526718/

its close, I think it was the second or so. And a big, the Mayor did bring some good stuff though so I can't say it was all bad in general I stand at the try and hash thing out and meet in the middle stance. Though towards the end shit got out of control for my taste even if just because there was little to work with overall at that point.

Oh hey I forgot to actually what's new!
Journey rules are typed into it.
Durability with some example tags for items
Crafting rules though we still need recipes.
Animals have their Classes now and some new traits for them and also the stat block.

it's sad that barely anyone except me seems to care about this. What happened to board traditions? The annual Mr Rogers' birthday friend is barely posted in. I bet basically no one on this board right now knows who Wasteland Warrior, or Kromgol, Commissar Fuklaw, or Noh is.

what do you plan on adding with the next version?

bump

Yeah, the end was a bit crazy.

The next big update will be the community building rules, these will be a couple days at least and their own PDF until then, I'll be adding small updates to the main body things like statlines examples etc. Eventually I, or someone better with computers should probably format this into an easier to read PDF.

maybe because Veeky Forumsfic is overwhelmingly embarassing and everyone grew up

Not being confrontational, just curious. But where does this particular piece of work fall on the spectrum?

oh hey, have a taste of the Community rules before I run to work for eight or so hours. I'll be back around 1600 EST.

Anatomy of a Settlement.

`A settlement is often taken for granted, they exist in most settings as something that is simply there for the sake of players to rest, buy gear and be on their merry way. On the Savage Planet this isn't necessarily an option. Humanity hasn't been there long enough to really have time to even build some of the most simple of conveniences. Food,water and shelter are all something that might be not available and thus, these small places where someone has been able to make a claim are vital. As such the scope and focus of the game is changed, When we talk a settlement it may very well be the only relatively large collection of human souls that the players will encounter. It as such needs to be protected and encouraged to grow. So what makes up a settlement then?
Well, each settlement like a character has a number of statistics tied to it. Morale, Security, Industry, Influence and Food are Dice not unlike a characters ability dice. Supplies and Population are hard numbers and have certain rules tied to this fact. They will be detailed below.

>grew up
We paint fantastical army men to which we use to fight each other, and play games involving pretending to be entirely different people with fantastical abilities. you're deceiving yourself if you think any of us have completely grown up.

Bump

back while on lunch, and just realized I forgot to actually put the journey dice values in...

There we go its quick and dirty but there's dice values at least and a new Major Hindrance.

Alright, I'll take a look over it in a few

Looks good so far.
Minor mention:
While you've added the rule for jitterbugging your food, there's no explanation as to what that actually is or does to the character.

Also, should poisonous or toxic be one of the critter traits?

Items will probably be at least partly coming in tonght, which raises a question how granular do we want things such as Gun calibers?

>Gun calibers
Dear lord. I once ran a campaign where we tried keeping track of real world weapon calibers and bullet types and it totally wasn't worth it.

I'd suggest using something like Shadowrun's ammo rule, where it's divided by weapon type (small arms, long arms, automatic, assault, etc.) and then throw bonuses for specialty (hollowpoint, steel tip, etc)

I might break it down by the skills really though I also need a few more tags to toss on top of stuff In particular Makeshift and Builder-made. Also, Im making a sight breach of canon for gameplay and saying that most people trade in 'Builder Trinkets' I.E. bits and bobs of precious metal and gemstones made by the builders as they're reasonably rare and give players a reason to go diving into ruins filled with yowlers.

Cringey as fuck. Though not as bad as the lower levels of Veeky Forums OC like Harem Knights, Towergirls, or the ongoing turd that is Jumpchain.

in what ways actually, I'm legitimately curious here.

So, while I hobble along with this and avoid doing things that actually have numbers, here's a sample of a biome description:

Meadowlands:
Lenoran Meadows much like terrestrial meadowlands are easy to navigate and lush with wildlife. This is a boon and a curse of course, as where there's plentiful game animals there comes plentiful Predators. Meadowlands are not very common in the region, with them only sporadically popping up in the north and near old Builder cities. Most often they are maintained in this state by the herds of Tortolo that roam between them, knocking down any trees that might take root. As such the dominant plant life are often mats of what is known as bubble-grass, tangled masses of red-purple vegetation are a favorite of many species. Beyond the Bubble-grasses travelers are likely to encounter Spice-shoot a plant that looks disarmingly like bamboo but who's inner tissues are loaded with a delicious peppery flavor and Orange-bushes; a shrubby orange colored plant that yields small yellow berries that when ripe taste almost identical to lemons.

The most prominent sight in meadowlands are the ever present herds of Torolo that push back against the forests that threaten to encroach from all sides. Their hulking shapes can be seen everywhere as heard graze on Bubble-grasses and wallow in mud-holes. One must be careful as often nesting sites will be located near these. Beyond Tortolo smaller species of Diir will make their way out of the forest into these open areas, before wandering back to more confined spaces and Dragon Rats, Wamblers and Night Thieves of several species can be found as well along with Colonies of Flirds that often follow the Tortolo herds. While this might seem idyllic it also makes it a haven for predators. Scaled Hounds, and Yowler both will lurk near the edges searching for stray Tortolo calves that are too far from the herd, or a Dirr wandering back to its rest site. And, more worrying in the North near the mountains Rapedactyl will often patrol, looking for potential prey.
Meadowland can also be used for Alpine valleys and river-bottom lands. In these places similar species will be found though in higher elevations, chubs will replace Tortolo.

bump, it seems like we have some legit OC here which is getting rare on the board.

bump

Nice and simple, I like it.

Can I get a quick rundown?

sure what exactly are you looking for info on here user?

that's the idea, it should be a nice quick and easy reference that gives pointers to the GM as to what that terrain looks like, what they might find there and just how hazardous it actually can be. Also, before I head off to work. Just for you 008.

Coast Lines:
The Coasts of the Region are, contrary to what many might say, surprisingly safe. The beaches though littered with shells of hundred of species Molluskoids many of which are perfectly edible after being boiled! Shore Flirds dance upon the waves and the gravelly beaches lead out into shallows that are filled with forests of Anchor-kelp massive Deep Mauve colored plants who's stems reach deep into the sediment and run masses of vegetation back to the shore. Hydrids swim in massive shoals, and Oriental Dragon rats can spotted as they leap from the tree-line out into the water after them.
This does not however mean they're free of risk. Ocean going Sparks patrol further out into the water, their long eel like bodies ready to dart after and attack anything that might be potential prey. On land more often than not there's little predator pressure however, it is not unheard of for a younger yowler displaced from the forests to venture out to the coast after easier prey. In areas where the water is deep enough one also must be wary of the Selkie, a cousin to the noxious Kelpy.
Coast Lines can also serve easily for lake and river edges as well, in which case the only major changes are that the water is not saline and that Kelpies are a potential threat.

Everybody on Veeky Forums gets teleported to a new world. Instead of mostly dying because the vast majority of channers are just idiots fucking around on the internet, they build new and interesting societies based on their home boards.

yup that'd be about it.

To be fair, a lot of people do die.

I forget wasn't there at one point a projected mortality for Veeky Forums?

I don't know, but for the numbers to make sense, first and second waves would have had to lose something like 50% of its population.

I think there was a time when we were talking evne higher mortality in some places. I know /b/ it was pushing up towards 75%...it really is a bleak as fuck setting in that regard. Also, will try and get something resembling hard numbers and item entries in tonight if I dont murder my coworker.

Population numbers also depend on exactly when the event occurs. The number of unique visitors has nearly doubled since the first threads.

Quick question folks, how far into the waves do you all want to go? As right now its all set for wave one.

Don't make me break out the wave math formula.

wait, you still have that?

I keep everything

>First wave is 5% of a board's total population and they arrive within a 50 mile radius of each other. Every wave increases by x1.25 and the radius increases by 10 miles.

damn son, so we're looking at for Veeky Forums what? Several thousand in one go?

At the time, Veeky Forums's total gross population was around 2,050,000.
That's about 102,500 in the first wave.

It could be worse, /b/'s first wave was 5 million people in that 50 square mile radius.

That's right forgot that, and its only grown since then hasn't it? Either way I guess I should start hacking and whacking at things like items.

The wave numbers can be adjusted to bring it down, but that would just add more waves.

On that note, I'd like to suggest an Interregnum period, where the waves stop temporarily. Maybe for like 10-20 years before they suddenly resume again. It would extend the death spiral that civilization will take.

I ran the number once in the old threads, but 50% mortality would have been the average, and only pushed that high because of /b/ and /v/. It's pretty huge already and Lenoran environment isn't THAT bad (after all there's mossbread).

Either way, the yowler population probably exploded briefly due to all the food stumbling around the woods before we started actively hunting the bastards.

>Lenore

>I bet basically no one on this board right now knows who Wasteland Warrior, or Kromgol, Commissar Fuklaw, or Noh is.
Every time an automated grocery store checkout system tells me to "Please take your items," I think of Noh.

>Mossbread
>not calling it the most horrifying thing ever to grace the plate of a Lenoran eatery.

It's not THAT bad when fried in tortolo fat. With spices. A lot of them.

Plus it allows you not to starve.

I mean if I remember right the texture was described as 'spongelike'

>someone has taken the old stories and freeform writing prompts and is making a system
Huh
I guess Veeky Forums still does get some shit done after all.

You're gonna eat your honeyed mossbread or starve, punk.

>have a taste of the Community rules
>posts everything up to (but not including) actual rules

its mostly time constraints sorry guys, I'm usually stupidly busy. I do thankfully have a three day weekend coming up.

I mean, I'm sure you can render it down and mold it into a brick that you can shave slices off when you're hungry or to cover yourself in as you jump off a cliff since this batch was infested with jitterbug and you can't tell where the ground is anymore.

Don't worry about it. Back in the day I'd be doing my part and actually contributing, but as it is now all I have time for is occasionally stopping by the thread to be a snide shit.

hey it keeps the thread bumped, which saves me trouble.

Mossbread, so useful it can even be clothing.

Is it just me, or is the Veeky Forums area bigger than /v/ and /b/ combined?

Well here's the actual ability descriptors:
Morale:
The morale die represents how well your community can handle the stress of events such as a bad storm or lack of food. The higher the Die type, the better able your people are able to weather the hardships of the planet.

Security:
This Die represents how well a community handles internal and external threats and manages to keep order. The the higher the die the less chance a community will descend in Anarchy and savagery.

Industry:
The industry die represents the ability to produce goods for trade and to supply those that live there. What little external trade is going on is usually performed by enterprising individuals.

Food:
The Food die represents the amount and stability of edible goods within the community, it also shows how well the community can weather hard time of scarce food as well.

Influence:
Influence represents how well your community can exert its control over an area, This is a die trait but it does have some additional rules associated with it. Normally a community can exert its control over a number of hexes/miles equal to half its Die(I.E. A D4 would be 2 hexes/miles) should it attempt anymore than that it must test each event to see if the Hex will return to being uncontrolled as the wilderness takes it back. This is important in regards to the OutPost mechanic.

Supplies:
This is not a Die rather, its a numbered value. Supplies represent the various materials that are harvested or salvaged to help the community, they are used in the creation of assets.

Population:
Population is a number representing how many people living in your community. One population represents about ten people. Pop is used to work on projects in the form of work crews.

its a little misleading actually Veeky Forums is basically stuck between a swamp, a hellforest, mountains and an ocean.

would these be the approximate borders (by which I mean, regions allocated by whoever sent us/where anons of a given board would spawn)?

forgot pic

Check the scale, the initial spawn area would be a dot on that map.

the borders I drew didn't seem to have shown up. Didn't you have Kog where Veeky Forums is written, and Cadia (about a few days away by foot iirc) in the northeastern corner where we would border /b/?

Here's Veeky Forums in detail

Is that entire forest within our region? If so, we definitely have large an area as /b/ - and a much lower population density. I'm also convinced, by the travel time needed to get from one location of interest to another, that you lost your sense of scale by the 4th or 5th thread.

Are living Builders still a thing or did they get retconned?

They're kinda sorta alive but no longer relevant for setting purposes at this rime.there's several reasonsfor that aactually.

I'm not sphagettiman (and thus have no say), but I would vote for no still living builders. I really liked how there was a previous civilization that mysteriously vanished, and the resultant sense of foreboding.

We're running with that for all intents and purposes. Remember, Lenore is a whole planet IF there are any builders left they're likely isolated pockets well away from anywhere humanity is. Again, I'll let all you lot actually have the final say via mob ruling on it but, I can go either way. Till then Im typing up community rules and hopefully with have something to show for it soon jhere.

>within our region
Don't think in terms of nation-states, think in terms of tribes. There are no meaningful borders.

You're probably correct on scale, though to be generous to the maker of the map, it could be thought of as a distant future thing.

Honestly, I really don't like the idea of people being in limbo for 20 years. I can accept the idea of people appearing in waves-after being in limbo for variable amounts of time - because its necessary to prevent overcrowding, and can give time to grow. The prospect of people who were twins on earth being a few years apart on Lenore is something I can accept. A 20 year old and 40-50 year old being the same age on Lenore for no in-universe reason feels wrong, and like its there just for its own sake.

fair enough

here's a bit more of the community rules before I crash for the night. It's just the tip right now but, I'm hoping it'll provide a clearer view of the design goals we're aiming for with this. ALSO any new ideas to add to it please throw out for us to look at.

I like it.

how about a community locales/hindrance for having the community built around an old builder structure that has an unusual feature or built in oopart, for good or for bad. Example, a sturdy central tower that emanates a moral bonus (Feel good) or conversely, gives stressful nightmares if you sleep in it.

Also having the area plagued with angry predatory wildlife (as it's their traditional breeding grounds) vs plentiful hunting ground.

Cheers, good night.

that's definitely doable, I might break them down into varying degrees as well that way a group can mix and match a little if they should so choose.

hows this look folks?
Nuisance Animals Minor/Major:
Minor: You have an issue with a verminous species such as dragon rats. Though they get everywhere and into everything your community can for the most part keep them in something resembling control.
Major: You've selected an area where something dangerous frequents. When, hunting within your community's zone of influence you always also draw a spade and must play that as well.

OOPART Cache, 2 or 4 points:
Your community has stumbled upon one of the deepest mysteries of the planet. OOPARTS or out of place artifacts. These strange machines defy anything known about the previous species that lived upon this world and at times seem to defy the laws of nature themselves.
2 Points, minor OOPART CACHE: your community has a small supply of a certain kind of OOPART(see items and equipment). These typically would be mote stones.
4 Points, Major OOPART CACHE: your community has laying at its center a major find. Choose one of your settlements ability dice, when testing this die the Community may always reroll and take the higher.

and the ooparts.

what about the ooparts?

I'll probably start tackling them after I get the community builder um, built. Right now Im hammering out the edges and assets as well as the order of play for communities in game. The Minor Cache might change, Im not quite sure yet though also not really certain how to do that. Sorry this is taking so long guys, there's a lot of material to cover and Im not exactly super speedy at typing.

So, one thing Im aiming for is options. Weather this is good or bad will be something time will tell but, here's a taste of Security edges.

Patrols: Pop min 4
Benefit: Security increases to D6
Your community has set up routine patrols out into the wilderness that immediately surrounds them, this provides at least the feeling that they're in control.

Scouts: Security D6
Benefit: when on a hunt you may draw a club as well and put it into play.
Your patrols have taken to exploring the area and noting down what they find. This allows for better knowledge of the area.

Raiders: Security D6
Benefit: Gain the Raid Project.
Your patrols have for better or worse, taken to strong-arming people out of their supplies. Your community during the Project phase may now assign population to go raiding. During this phase they may choose to roll Security adding one for each additional assigned pop. If they succeed they immediately gain 1D4 worth of supplies.

Bump, while we wait for the pastaman to deliver.

Ok, I've got morale and influence yet to do plus everything past that BUT here's the community rules as of right now.

bump

I swear these threads live by bumping.

I like the way these are being organized, you can easily visualize a community growing as you read down the list.

That was the intent, its roughly based around the Broken earth rules, which I promptly cranked up and over to 11 in terms of what you can do. The one thing I wanted most with the community rules is that the party of players is able to make a settlement that THEY want, even if its a bunch of cultist raiding dickwads that scrabble in the ruins.

Morale is down but here come the assets and how to generate influence!
Assets:
An Asset or action can be undertaken at the start each session, these are called projects. An Asset costs a certain amount of resources to construct, must have at least one Population assigned to the task and may have other requirements as well.

Undertaking a project:
As stated above each session a community can undertake a project. They are only limited by the amount of population they have free to deal with the task at hand. Each Asset will have a minimum amount of pop require to handle the task, additional Pop provide a bonus(to +3). The Community must then test Industry, on a success the project is well underway and will be done at the start of next session. On a raise the project is done within the same session! On a failure the project falters and falls apart and the resources are lost as some unforeseen disaster strikes!

>Major dry
>waterfront 2
Which takes precedence on droughts?

>Edges
It doesn't explain how you actually get them. If you just get them as soon as you meet the requirements and RP them coming into existence, then Untouched Ground makes no sense.

Also the mix of "die is now", "is now" and "is increased to" seems disingenous. For example, if you increase your food die to D10 with primitive fishing but then you get someone with Survival D6, your food goes back down to D6.

Also seems like there should be fishing boats that bring your food up to D12.

I feel that the difference between building with lumber and with stone right now (are you by a waterfront or not) doesn't make much sense. Why not make forests and quarry sites locale features in their own rights?

thanks for that, I need to clarify things it seems. I'll page back up that stuff and get it sorted.

And is there anything else that sticks out as an issue? Also, a new edge can be taken at the end of Each Session. And, does this example clarify things at all?

The settlement of Bilgehollow has shore fishing but recently got an NPC with Survival D6which means they now qualify for hunter-gatherers however, it would provide them no bonus as shore fishing already bolsters them to a D8.