I'm going to keep making Spartan Games the pic until someone else makes the thread because y'all are too lazy to do it...

I'm going to keep making Spartan Games the pic until someone else makes the thread because y'all are too lazy to do it edition.

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread

nice thread title idiot

Thanks. I try.

What scale is that?

I wonder how many new games Spartan will launch this year.

15mm

About the same number of new games as the total number of people who play spartan games to begin with.

I liked what i have played from them. but no one in my area wants to start playing and i have meet 2 people while on vacation that were playing in a store in the town i was staying in.

So what are the /awg/ games you most wish you could get other people around you into?

For me it's Dark Age, Heavy Gear, Bushido and Warzone. I love all those systems, but god damn it seems like nobody around me plays. I've tried demoing Warzone many times but I can never seem to get stores to really co-operate with me and nobody ever seems interested because it's not 40k or Warmahordes.

I really just want an excuse to buy stuff for Dark Age and Bushido, but I'm not a painter and really want to play them.

Fuck Dark age man. They finally got round to releasing discount bundles for their new stuff after rorting people that bought their stuff.
Not that it matters theyll distribute it to no one and no one will get into it.

How is Bushido? I like the look of the minis, but it sounded like Warmahordes style army building, and I cannot do good synergies.

The new stuff is fucking beautiful, though, and the game's solid. As far as I'm aware they've always been willing to work with people; offering trade-ins on books and such.

I like it. You don't have to take a named character, if that's what you mean, but they tend to be plentiful and useful. The only real issue I have with the rules themselves is the damage is done with a table. I think that could have been streamlined, but otherwise I like it. The factions feel unique enough from each other and I love a lot of the models.

Really more that I heard it had CCG style army building, where you REALLY needed to know those perfect synergies and fire them off at the right time.

Also, lack of a 2P starter box makes it a hard sale for demo purposes, because I am an autistic manbaby. Alternatively, what would be two good factions for demo purposes?

Synergies are important, but I haven't found them to be as important as they are in Warmahordes. But taking guys that compliment each other is a good plan. Like if someone has a skill that makes Ashigaru better then sure; take an Ashigaru or two to take advantage of it.

Yeah; they really need a two=player starter. I think if they did Prefecture and Ito together it would be cool.

Cool. I'm wanting to get a Veeky Forums scene going at my uni, since one doesn't exist outside magic. And right now it's a toss-up between Bushido and Mercs.

MERCS is fun, too, and the new edition is pretty damn solid. The only problem is Megacon Games seem to have said "here it is, now leave us alone." Which is a shame because it's a good game, but they don't seem to want to expand it anymore which seems odd.

I would recommend picking up MERCS Recon, which is the co-op boardgame. It comes with models and is great fun. And you can kinda go from there to expand into the minis game proper.

A Song of Blades and Heroes

- fantasy skirmish
- very simple to learn
- requires very few minis (like five per side)
- create whatever you want
- use whatever minis you want
- available Advanced version with reaction mechanic

same designer recently had a sci fi game using d20s published by Osprey

called Rogue Stars

perfect for that "Han and Luke get into adventures" scale of gaming

Yeah, I've seen that attitude, kind of disheartening.

I'm also vaguely, VAGUELY considering one of the element based 15mm rules sets like Mighty Armies.

Or writing my own, please save me from myself.

This one.

DeepWars by AntiMatter Games uses the same mechanics as song of Blades and Heroes

- unique underwater setting
- compatible with land-based sister game ShadowSea
- minis are pretty expensive

sort of expensive for what it is

when MM bought it in the wake of AoW's bankruptcy, I was hoping for price decrease

have you tried HOTT

MERCs minis are expensive and remind me of paintballers

Ehh just picked up a starter kit for 60 bucks. Not too bad for the the price of a video game without all the discounts.

I have not. Looked at Armies of Arcana, Pendraken, and Mighty Armies. Got a link?

That's why you get Recon to start. Get you two teams, a solid boardgame and you can kinda start from there.

the 2.0 rulebook used to be a free pdf and can still be found via scribd

the 2.1 rulebook is only for sale via Amazon UK

no big differences as far as I can tell ,just find the 2.0 pdf

it is based on DBA

yes the $100 combo pack def seems the way to go

can you give a quick summary of how the games plays?

Warlord Games is releasing a Samurai skirmish game (around 10 figs per side) called Test of Honour

rulebook is free on their site

starter box is a solid deal, lots of slightly tweaked Wargames Factory samurai and ashigaru figs included - launches 3/25

to make the box even more useful, also pick up Ronin (published by Osprey)

Devil's Run Route 666

20mm Mad Max vehicle combat using Thunderoad-style "endless road" mechanic

Wayland seems to be the sole distributor

Recon is a co-op board game. Players play as a MERCS team going into a building to complete some task. As you do more stuff(find objectives, kill people and so forth) the difficulty ramps up. You start fighting security guards with pistols, then guys with shotguns and eventually guys with assault rifles start busting through windows to gun your asses down. You can also damage the building itself to provide you with more cover, or to bring the roof down on your enemies. There are a good number of missions, especially if you get both boxes.

MERCS the skirmish game is a very interesting concept. Movement is done with cards(although you can use a tape measure if you wish) and it's very fast and burtal. One of my favorite aspects is the initiative system. Each turn you roll a d10 for each model, and the models have a modifier so you can change the result of their roll to try and plan your turn out a bit. So each turn the activations will be different, but you have some control over it.

I'm pretty stoked. Gonna use my Kensei models on round bases. The rules are pretty sleek and solid and I like the narrative style it's going for. I just hope they plan to release some of the recruitment cards separate of the box sets in the future.