So, your party have finally defeated the BBEG

>So, your party have finally defeated the BBEG.
>As you enter the treasure room, after disabling the traps, you first find a discouragingly small treasure, a few dozens gold coins and some magical trinkets, barely enough to heal your companions and live off for a few weeks.

>However, in the centre of the room, surrounded by all kind of protections, there's a painting.
>According to the BBEG's diary, the painting is worth literally millions upon millions of gold coins, a treasure way ahead of its time.
>Unfortunately, the nobles through the entire continent are a bunch of uncultured swines who can't fully appreciate its value.
>"But one day, people will awake from their ignorance, and then they will appreciate it as the revolutionary masterpiece it is. Lords and peasants by equal, all will cry at its radiant beauty, and the war won't spoil this castle out of fear to harm it".

How do your party reacts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kkAYze6ae18
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gotta be a shitty DM to be telling us about the painting as we see it and not seeing whether we remember the painting prior or not.
Also tear up the painting and slap anything dirty and liquid around the room on it. I'll be remembered for ruining it longer than the painting would be remembered.

A thing is worth exactly what it's purchaser will pay for it.

So right now, that painting is worth next to nothing.

Somewhere out there, someone who's going to become famous is holding an item that will be worth a thousand time's it's usual value. Sinatra's shoes. Bono's cock wax.

But right now? It's worth nothing at all.

Value is not a fundamental constant. One gold piece isn't worth anything on the continent made of gold.

By the way OP is worded, and using a Van Gogh painting (which, you know, could never made a living out of his paintings), I think he's implying the painting isn't a forgotten treasure, but an undiscovered one.

So the party is in possession of something that was recently created, and in their context/age is worthless. But the previous owner is convinced some day will be worth a metric shit ton of money.

Imagine Da Vinci giving away the Mona Lisa to your grand-grandparent, and becoming just a heirloom for you and your descendants.

I destroy it, since it harms by narrative that he was a talentless loser, who turned to evil because he wasn't accepted into an art school.

NOPE.
Whenever a treasury is unusually small, except that one, striking item, as a rule I stay the fuck away from it. Nothing good ever comes of it.

>BBEG

bleh.

>Value is not a fundamental constant. One gold piece isn't worth anything on the continent made of gold.
In our universe. See, in D&D, there are much stricter rules of wealth. A resurrection spell needs a diamond worth 5000 gp or something. You cannot cause the market value of diamonds to increase and then use a less valuable diamond for the spell, you have to use the very same diamond that you did when there was a glut on diamonds.
It isn't nonsensical, but the rules of magic often are weird and arbitrary.

I personally prefer "ugh".

So... if the previous owner could use a divination spell or something, he could be right when claiming the painting will worth a gorillion gold coins in the future, so technically the painting is worth a gorillion gold coins now?

Please start tripfagging so that the rest of Veeky Forums can filter you.

You sound like that turbo-autist guy. Are you that turbo-autist guy?

>says the guy who keeps samefagging his BBEG complaints because he doesn't know we can see how many posters are in the thread

>Imagine Da Vinci giving away the Mona Lisa to your grand-grandparent, and becoming just a heirloom for you and your descendants.

The Cracked Vase with the Big Daisies is a lovely painting.

>says the guy who keeps trying to pretend only one person doesn't like "BBEG"
Why even bother still with this? You're not really fooling anyone, and actually just encouraging more people to join in and complain. What's even your end goal at this point? to convince everyone who doesn't like it that they're actually a hivemind?

> You cannot cause the market value of diamonds to increase and then use a less valuable diamond for the spell, you have to use the very same diamond that you did when there was a glut on diamonds.

Where does it say that?

In theory, you could make your friend's ressurection cheaper by buying a diamond for 1000gp, then starting a fashionable trend at court that requires everyone to wear diamonds, driving up the price.

Dungeons and Derivatives. Fighter, Wizard, Thief, Venture Capitalist.

Because... we need someone to be the BBEG.

To demonstrate that it's just one retarded autist spamming his retarded meme, hoping it will magically gain traction with a community that has been using that phrase for two decades..

No, it would be worth substantially less than a goeillion coins. I'm not going to give you a gorillion coins now for a gorillion coins far in the future. Money today is worth more than money tomorrow.

There's actually a prepared copypasta for you, since you seem to repeat the same thing in every thread. I think all you've done so far is demonstrate that it's only a few guys who use BBEG, and they get super upset when people make fun of them for it.

>People have been complaining about "Big Bad Evil Guy" for years. The early complaints seemed to be mostly about the concept itself, with many people disagreeing that a plot needed a character as a central antagonist.

>Now, it seems that some of the complaints are about the language. "Big Bad Evil Guy" was coined to sound corny, and is more of an in-joke than a designation like "Central Antagonist." It's also grown to be somewhat vague, with some people using it as the central antagonist, others using it as the final antagonist, and still others using it as simply any antagonist, which can get confusing when trying to communicate about one of these specific ideas.

>As far as the shitstorm, I think that comes in part because it takes very little effort to say "BBEG sounds dumb", which is enough to trigger some people who use that phrase. These people then go to say things like "you need to respect this acronym, it's Veeky Forums's acronym, every true fa/tg/uy uses BBEG exclusively," and that gets even people who had no real interest in the matter upset, because it starts to sound like there's people who are actually actively trying to push BBEG.

>BBEG is a meme, and like most memes it doesn't have much of a shelf life. The old joke has faded, and now it seems like people are just finding it weird for people to be so fervent in holding onto it.

Can we not do this today? Please?
I don't like BBEG, but that just means I don't use it. Quit triggering each other.

Someone spewed nonsense on Veeky Forums, once? You don't say.

But I love that you have it saved somewhere.

>>BBEG is a meme, and like most memes it doesn't have much of a shelf life. The old joke has faded, and now it seems like people are just finding it weird for people to be so fervent in holding onto it.
BBEG is from the 90s, before the term meme even got popular.

Your stupidity is boundless.

I just picked it up from the archive, since it seems to really summarize this issue succinctly.

Especially this part.
>BBEG is a meme, and like most memes it doesn't have much of a shelf life. The old joke has faded, and now it seems like people are just finding it weird for people to be so fervent in holding onto it.

You really a bit of a freak in how upset you get.

I feel bad for OP that his thread got derailed by retards

Isn't like there was too much to talk about.

What could the party do? Bring education through the entire world so they can sell their painting? That's almost an entire campaign on its own.

Ruin/destroy it? It's unknown and worthless, so who cares?

Check out for curses and so? Standard procedure, and I suppose there's nothing of it, as OP doesn't mention anything like that.

So, yeah, the party is fucked. They killed the BBEG, the treasure wasn't worth it.

Still, nobody's thread deserves this fate unless they were shitposting

Oh, it's all shitposting one way or another. The only really good thread on here is Shoggy's AGP.

I had a feeling you were a redditor.

Oh, I'm not the guy you were talking to before... but it's my firm belief that as long as I expect nothing but Shit to come from The board, I'll either be pleasantly surprised or always right.

>There's actually a prepared copypasta for you, since you seem to repeat the same thing in every thread.
You don't say.

It is a stupid, redundant, but ultimately serviceable shorthand term, that's it.
I am not a spokesman for the term, I am a spokesman against an asshole who's hatred of a stupid term is unfettered by sanity.
Baron BBEG is an asshole.

There may be more than one person that thinks the term should fall out of use.
There may be a large amount of people that feel that way.
But no matter how many people on Veeky Forums hate the term, more people hate that asshole and anyone imitating him, either sincerely or by trolls, because they derail threads and post off-topic everytime BBEG gets mentioned.

I'm gonna shut up about this now.
Feel free to make one more comment about how I'm in love with "BBEG" or some similar fictional nonsense, then do the decent thing and shut the fuck up.

>"But one day"
Ah, the old "one day this will be valuable" scam.
I would hang onto the art, along with the diary, until I can sucker someone else into buying it for a ridiculous amount of gold instead of the ludicrous amount of gold it will "one day" be worth.

Unless I'll never die of old age.
In that case, convince the party it's not worth much but I like it and then store that bitch.
You never know.

>What could the party do?
See

>sucker someone else into buying it

>So, yeah, the party is fucked. They killed the BBEG, the treasure wasn't worth it.
But yeah, this is still totally true.

Anybody else immediately think of that great comic about the journey of two friends following a treasure map, fighting, splitting it in half, and rejoining in friendship only to discover the treasure at the end is just a dead guy in front of a mirrored wall.
They realize that they have become awesome adventurers and true friends and that is the real treasure?
I can't find it, damn it.

Got you covered, user.

Kind of

Back to this: in a deterministic world where future can be seen through divination and with relatively accuracy, "one day" schemes (could) have a root in truth, therefore they aren't truly a scam.

Yeah, it may not worth a gorillion gold, but a couple millions is still a nice sum. So they party goes into art merchant mode, and their new campaign is to find someone willing to dish that much money for something this trivial.

That would the other one.
Heh

This one is considerably longer.
Like one about the kid who goes off searching for a flower for a girl and ends up adventuring for years to find her.
Neither have dialog or are in my possession.

Honestly, I use BBEG because it gets the point of what I'm talking about across in a quick and efficiant way.
When I say BBEG, you automatically know I mean the ultimate enemy of a given campaign/game/whatever, and it communicates that admirably.
As much as I like Final Boss.

Nobody has this?
Damn.

Burn it so I don't have to live in a world where that thing is considered art.

Okay, I'm stumped. I know this is a Van Gogh, but why is it considered one of his masterpieces again?
He has a lot of objectively better paintings.

>increasing the demand for diamonds
>not crashing the gold market so hard that a diamond worth 1000 gold is just a speck

I don't know if I'm the only one seeing something here... But, I kinda feel bad for the so called BBEG, having so little treasure, yet, being so proud of that paint, got me thinking that if he didn't paint it, maybe someone close to him did it, like a dead lover or a child.
That painting was his pride, the least my character could do, is burry it with his corpse in sign of respect.
I don't know why he was evil, or if he was evil at all, but at least I can show some respect towards the dead.

My rogue/charlatan of wizard character is a huge fan of paintings (and tapestries, and vases, that sort of thing)
He'd probably keep it somewhere safe. Just in case.
He's still be bummed out about the lack of gold tho.

>the least my character could do, is bury it with his corpse in sign of respect.
In a tomb, that's respectful.
In a grave, that's hilarious.

youtube.com/watch?v=kkAYze6ae18

That's the one!
Holy crap, it's been so long that I forgot it was an animation.
Thanks user!

Yeah, I immediately thought of the ending when I read the OP.

I guess is because the name.

At some point, painters become such huge celebrities their names are worth more than their works, so as long as you slap the signature onto the canvas, you'll get someone to call it a masterpiece and demand a million dollars in exchange.

Yeah, that's capitalism for you. Or something.

>BBEG

Ugh.

The Bedroom in Arles, at least for me, is an emotionally heavy piece for what it shows.
Basically all he had. A tiny room, and painted in sad colours. It saddens me.

Guess we'll just have to drink those potions of "stasis sleep" that are in the corner.

If you got this reference, you're an alright guy. Don't come to the far future, in the future.

I go sell it on a continent not full of uncultured swines.

>implying the painting isn't cursed
>implying it doesn't drag inside of itself anyone who gazes too deeply into it
Can't trick me with that, Skeleton Man.

Fool me once, I'm mad. Fool me twice, how could you. Fool me three times, you're officially That Guy, okay?

That's money laundering for you.

You launder money through real estate.

Art is for long term investments. Art only grows in value.

>You only launder money through real estate.
Do you actually believe this?
I mean, real estate is great for it, especially because of the high end numbers, but people have laundered money through MTG.

Or whatever cheap painted cardboard you can sell for inflated prices.

Just ignore the "only" bit. Art makes for a bad way to launder money because as soon as you sell or buy a Picasso or Rembrandt it'll be all over the news. Extra attention you don't want around money laundering.