MTG Modern General: Blood Moon is Good vs Tron and Other Folklore Edition

What are some commonly held misconceptions about Modern you find players around you having?

Playing, hating, brewing, sideboarding?

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern
>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-ad-nauseam-26328#online
decks.tcgplayer.com/magic/modern/gracen-atkinson/seismic-swans/1278986
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>commonly held misconceptions
That Mox opal isn't a vintage level card and doesn't deserved to be banned.

how long until deaths shadow ban

The thread got ruined real fast, might be a new record.

>common misconceptions

>all games end by turn 4
>brewing is impossible, meta is solved, etc
>it's too expensive
Basically all the shit Wizards spreads to keep people in Standard.

That nacatl is good in burn

Never. Play lightning bolt faggot

In a vacuum it is simply by virtue of being a repeatable bolt, not just at the moment when the top meta is pushed, bigger creatures and fatal push.

I've heard that Modern is fun and accessible.

Do any decks run Spoils of the Vault?

Keep crying affinity/lantern/cheerios player. I can't wait until wotc takes away your gay little rainbow mox and your retarded decks die.

Ad Nauseam

Why are you getting so angry over pieces of cardboard?

Got a recent list?

>Hating on decks that are not just a pile of expensive goodstuff

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-ad-nauseam-26328#online

The mtggoldfish meta link is the opening post.

Thanks

Because Mox opal is an unhealthy card for the game and promotes degeneracy? It makes the game unfun to play because some decks get to go "lol free mana because muh artifacts"

Card needs a ban so I can enjoy this game again instead of having to play against bullshit like Lanten, affinity and cheerios.

Why are you acting like an entitled brat?

>I have no arguments for mox opal so I'll call him a brat
Wew

What are you playing?

5 colour control with emerakul as a wincon

I'm playing Tron, specifically GW.

fuck off

You're the one making the claims for changing the status quo, burden of proof is on you. Without Lantern Modern wouldn't have prison strategies and Affinity is the best beatdown deck without being overpowered in any way shape or form. Banning both would reduce competitive diversity.

>playing Tron
>playing the inferior Tron variant

Serves you right faggot . Go cry to your daddy.

>I'm playing Tron, specifically GW.
Nice to meet you, Cousin, I'm playing GB Tron myself
Now fuck off with your hate on decks using conditional fast mana when you're doing the exact same thing

If you think playing against mox opal is ruining your fun then you're just a giant fucking pussy, and even if they do ban mox opal, you'll just find something else to bitch about, and blame your weak skills on. Cry harder faggot. Affinity is not degenerate,
>inb4 assblassted robots player
I play U/W control

Yeah because being killed t2-3 from opal with cheerios is so much fun right? Getting locked by lantern t1/2 is a lot of FUN RIGHT GUYS? GETTING KILLED T2 BY AFFINITY WITH TEMUR SHITTER RAGE (ban this too) IS A LOT OF FUN.

Guess I'm just a pussy if i want to play the game.

t. affinity player

tron's mana is fair though because you can attack it with LD and come out ahead, attacking mox opal always put you at a loss.

No Affinity list plays Temur you fucking mongoloid. Are you LARPing Desolator at this point? You honestly can't be this retarded.

You are just a pussy. Run removal you fucking weirdo. Play artifact hate in the sideboard. You're losing because you don't have cheap early interaction, a hallmark of modern. GIt Gud and stop whining.

>ban temur battle rage
>the Evergreen abilities OP

I run Path and Blessed alliance so fuck off. Doesn't mean this broken shit doesn't need a ban

>no affinity list plays temur battle rage
That list did, I never said all do. It was pretty retarded having to deal with normal affinity pressure and then getting turn 2d out of nowhere.

Also, Don't fucking talk shit about des, he's done more for this community than some autist like you and actually wants to better it by making the format healthy, instead of playing with broken shit like opal.

>fast mana is scary and degenerate
You're all fur coat no knickers bitches.

Hi Desolator, don't you have a rant video to make?

>Don't fucking talk shit about des, he's done more for this community than some autist like you and actually wants to better it by making the format healthy,

My sides. 5/7 fucking perfect, user
I admit it, you had me going for a bit, there

>He runs white and can't beat affinity

>tron can run stony silence
>being this retarded

In all seriousness tron CAN run stony silence against affinity. Stony silence slows you down, but it turns off affinity. It will greatly prolong the game, which is good for you, tron's late game is fucking unreal and affinity's is...not. Also white has more answers to affinity than stony silence.

>loses to cheerios
>locked by lantern
>loses to affinity

someone doesn't know how to play magic

#
I said this a couple threads ago but noble just isn't really that good in the deck. Like you said, it makes for explosive starts but that not really what you're trying to accomplish in the grindy value deck. Exalted is rarely relevant and it's an abysmal top deck. I personally don't think that Grim flayer is good either but that's a different issue

How long has Affinity had Opal now with no complaints?

Guys. We should ban Tron lands. They ramp up too fast and are degenerate.

Just like Mox opal.

>misconceptions about Modern you find players around you having?
That tron lands, Chalice of the void and blood moon are healthy for the format

I have a friend who's being a massive fag got about Modern.
He claims that a 2RR 20/20 with haste and no other abilities is unplayable in modern. I told him he's a fucking idiot, and now we've agreed to give me time to brew a deck around this hypothetical creature, then play it against Modern No-Banlist decks.
What do you guys think? I'm half-and-half between playing it as mana denial and tap down effects with a finisher, and straight raw aggro.
Do you think it would be playable? Would it be broken? How would you play it?
Pic unrelated.

I'll give you Chalice being unhealthy but why do you consider Blood Moon and Tron lands unhealthy as well?

Fuck every other deck in the format, Duck Hunt just got first place at States.

decks.tcgplayer.com/magic/modern/gracen-atkinson/seismic-swans/1278986

Tron pushes actual control decks out of the format though my issue isn't with the lands themselves, just the dumb coloess shit that wizards has printed recently.

Blood moon and Chalice are very similar cards in their function. Both are utilized in order to prevent your opponent from playing the game. No amount of "Hurr fetch basics" is going to change the fact that sometimes it's just not possible to play around. The worst part of Blood Moon is that it doesn't even really punish Tron in a way you would think is intuitive because it doesn't shut them out of the game at all, they just keep making land drops and curve out a couple turns later through the blood moon anyway. So if it's supposed to be a sideboard tool against these big mana decks, and all it does is hurt fair decks, then what purpose does it really serve?

It stops 4 color / 5 color degeneracy mainly, and shuts off man lands, notably blinkmoth/inkmoth, I don't mind it.

tier fags btfo

is it worth it to draft mm3? i'm home for spring break so i'd be going to the LGS here with a bunch of people i don't really like

I'm hoping they start printing more cards like Winter Orb, Rishaden Port, and Armageddon so we can get back to real lockdown.

Lel, can you imagine the absolute ass pain there must have been on that salty ass trondrazi faggot getting btfo by Swans? Fuck that's hilarious.

No. Try to get a conspiracy draft started- you'll have much more fun.

If you're playing blue, inb4
>playing blue
There is literally 0 reason not to side board at least 3x Ceremonious Rejection. That hits Eldrazi, Tron and Affinity, three tier 1 decks. And itt's a fantastic card. 1 mana counter pretty much anything in their deck. Like fuck that card is just the best fucking sideboard shit I ever saw. I don't see how in this meta I could ever board less than 4, in the matchups where it's good, you just want it every time

>spend almost $1,000 on some tiered flavor of the month deck
>lose to the original meme deck of modern but upgraded

It's like pottery

Except it doesn't really do that because those decks are still part of the format. The reason there aren't more 4 color decks isn't because of blood moon, it's because there are enough good cards in 3 colors that there is rarely justification for the 4th. Also with the fetch shock mana base, playing more colors is already a real cost because it makes your match ups vs aggressive decks that much worse.

Eldrazi has Cavern and counterspells of their own so this does nothing there. Affinity has already played out their hand on turn 1-2 or will outtempo you with whatever resolved when you're sitting with this in your hand trying to catch a Plating or Overseer. You can't play control vs Tron with any deck with blue in it, you will lose the long game every time so it's almost a blank there as well.

You're right, it's absolutely terrible and I haven't played it literally hundreds of times with huge success. Like why would a 1 mana counter the entire deck even be good?

You're entire argument boils down to "dies to doom blade lmao XDD

There's a reason why there's only 10 results at mtgtop8.com for sideboarded rejection at major modern events and it isn't because the card is good and no one just gets it.
>XDD
Get a hold of yourself.

Your entire argument is "LEL COUNTERED BY REJECTION XDDD"

>works on my machine

That's fair I guess

Is modern finally heading in the right direction?
>two main burn decks counter each other
>infect and dredge are still decent but nobody realizes it
>duck hunt is off to become the new format boogeyman keeping affinity and memedrazi at bay

>new era of modern
My body is ready

>duck hunt
what is this

>tron decks continue to be a huge proprietor in the rock/paper/scissors match ups
>DSJ is still the best deck by far
>other best decks are just goyfandfriends
>the only combo decks allowed to be good are ad nauseum and grishoalbrand and they might be losing SSG soon
>control is hardly a thing still

>but this is all negated by the fact that someone snuck a win in with a treasure hunt deck

Modern will probably never be good again

See It's not going to become a T1 deck though

Lel

>decks.tcgplayer.com/magic/modern/gracen-atkinson/seismic-swans/1278986
This manabase is confusing to me.

DSJ has been on top for like 2 months, chill

How?

was it ever good in the first place? Considering that it's always been shit it's in a decent condition right now. lose your hopes about control, it's already lost and besides that it's cancer.

>infect
>still decent
Pick one and only one.

>guildgate
>swiftwater
>all those 1-ofs in the deck

>with no complains
somewhere arround 0 days

>running counter magic against affinity
Nah

common misconception your friend has there.
only because the current meta evolves arround the early game doesnt mean you cant play a deck with strong permission and an unblockable 20/20 on t5.
i also am pretty sure that the interaction you will have about this issue with your friend will be a giant shitfest, went through similar bs.

Nice to see over half the thread is a bunch of morons being seriously upset over obvious trolling. I swear the average iq on this board is sub 50

you just became part of the problem, hope you feel better about yourself.
"doesnt guarantee victory" is not the same as "unplayable"

I really don't care at this point. These threads are at an all time low

Jam it into Jund. Gg.

>buy two modern masters 2017 boxes for $190 each
>LotV
>Voice
>Craterhoof
>Grisel
>Tarmogoyf
>foil CoS
>all 5 fetch lands
>Damnation
>Goblin Guide

I think I did pretty well.

No one cares you mongoloid

The guy is poor af according to the AMA. Or doesn't want to buy expensive pieces of cardboard.
He's also arguing the gainlands are better than fetches/shocks in this deck. Pretty fucking hilarious.

>lgbt

Did I miss something?

blogging board

Oh. You're just mad. Carry on.

It has nothing to do with rejection not being good and everything to do with blue seeing barely any play.

That's every argument for every sideboard card you stupid faggot

>b/w tokens
>mono W DnT
>Wilted-Abzan Liege Rhino

Choose one

It actually can burn through the deck pretty quickly and after turn 4 the lands are used to chick to seismic assault or molten vortex. You can throw them at your swans to draw cards, getting more lands, drawing more cards until you can throw them at your opponent. It's pretty hilarious.

It's literally a 1 mana counterspell against affinity and it's good enough you faggot.

>Wilt leaf Abzan
Is this what people play when they're too poor to afford goyfs?

Choose a good deck

Will they print the fuck out of MM2017?

He should be maxed on Spirebluff canal and steam vents before putting in guildgates and swiftwater cliffs though. Don't really want fetches because thinning lands is detrimental.

But Lantern, Affinity, and Cheerios are good for the game. Especially Lantern being the only competitive hard control in the format. Frustrating =/= bad. If you can't handle oddball control or combo your deck sucks, you suck, or both.