Pauper magic / mtg pauper thread

Aristocrats edition.

With the recent changes in rarity brought about by MM3, I'm tinkering with the following list:

2 bloodthrone vampire
4 carrion feeder
4 falkenrath noble
2 gurmag angler
4 mogg war marshal
4 mortician beetle

3 chainer's edict
2 innocent blood
2 night's whisper
3 reckless abandon
3 unearth
4 wrangle

1 fling
3 tragic slip

4 bloodfell caves
4 evolving wilds
4 mountain
7 swamp

the idea here is that edicts and sacrifice outlets pump the beetle, which doesn't fight over counters with carrion feeder. Wrangle steals stuff, and then you can eat it, or throw at their face with reckless abandon.

What else are you guys playing in pauper? Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-03-17-rg-landfall/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/temur-walls-combo/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jund-walls-combo/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-red-staxld/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm building Temur Tron.

Do you think maybe you're running too many payoff cards? That playset of Mortician Beetle feels like it should be an either/or with Falkenrath Noble, and replace with some degree of Beetleback Chief.

not sure. I'm running quite a few sac outlets, not counting edicts, and war marshal when you don't pay the echo.

I'll try to squeeze in a couple of beetlebacks.
Falkenrath noble basically takes the role of falkenrath aristocrat and blood artist from the original aristocrats.

bump.

speaking of temur tron, here's a list I'm running at the moment:

2 acomplished automaton
2 mnemonic wall
1 mulldrifter
3 sea gate oracle
1 ulamog's crusher
3 wretched gryff

4 ancient stirrings
1 compulsive research
4 flame slash
2 rolling thunder

1 capsize
3 condescend
1 lightning bolt
2 pulse of murasa
1 scour from existence

4 expedition map
4 prophetic prism

2 haunted fengraf
2 rugged highlands
4 swiftwater cliffs
1 unknown shores
4 urza's mine
4 urza's power plant
4 urza's tower

Sup guys.
So has anyone seen any red green things now that we have BTE?
Also, could magma jet be a one or two of in izzet blitz? Or is that deck pretty much figured out?

>BTE

not yet - MM3 goes online on the 23rd.

Best I have is my old UG threshold running 3 BTE and 3 firebolts as a test.

As for magma jet - not in izzet blitz. 2 mana vs 1 mana when you are trying to cast multiple spells in one turn is a big difference - same as wee dragonauts only getting +2/+0.

It's pretty much figured out, though i'm playing with the idea of splashing black off of 4 crumbling vestiges for tainted strike, but can't get it to work, really.

What's it like playing dredge? I play manaless dredge in Legacy and looking at the lists online, the pauper version still looks pretty fun. Some key pieces are missing and the payoff doesn't seem fast or big enough.

D-did I do good, guys?

t. Jund player

supposedly, it's kind of goofy. I haven't tried that deck desu.

I have a RG infect for when i'm feeling brainless that's capable of random T2 wins, and can easily lethal T3 with no interaction from the opponent, but probably still needs a bit of tuning. Here's the list if anyone's interested:

4 glistener elf
3 blight mamba
4 ichorclaw myr
4 rot wolf

4 assault strobe
4 reckless charge

4 groundswell
4 mutagenic growth
4 vines of vastwood

3 madcap skills
4 rancor

11 forest
7 mountain

turn one glistener threatens a t2 kill with strobe and groundswell/rancor+mutagenic.

Even a t2 mamba/myr that's dealt with immediately, can still end in a t2 win via glistener, mutagenic, strobe and charge (a bit random, that, but it happens).

Mamba for a bit or resilience thanks to regen.

I wish I had all-matching art on my tron, and black border...

nice. I got one 8e tower that's driving me absolutely mental (besides just having the same illustration on all the rest).

I have all 3 Order of the Ebon Hand in my mono black blink though (Rush and Spencer are the best).

Weak. Maybe expedite?
Anyways I've tried making the tainted strike combo as well. Got it off once, then went back to u/r.

I dunno, all I recall as a Jund player in Modern is that ALL my Tron opponents ALWAYS use all-different Tron lands, with some in Russian and Japanese. I just assumed all Tron players did that to throw the opponent off over which land they're supposed to blow up. Like Zebras in a herd.

Why the hell do people netdeck in pauper?! I get it in other formats, where decks cost 200$+ and you actually can become a "pro" and make money, but pauper? The decks cost 10~30$ USD. The card pool is so vast that it is easy to make new competitive decks. I am so goddamn sick of playing vs. affinity, tron, boggles or UX delver. Those are not the only fucking commons printed!

Where is the originality? And it is not about competitiveness - my thrown together decks like Suicide Black, Quick Land Destruction, or Temur/Jund Walls are holding up or beating these meta shitters.

We have this great format, why do want to make it into a budget standard?

well you can always ask which land is which. I thought they just did it to show off.

I have all eighth edition lands. Discard and hand disruption is played pretty heavily in my meta, so being able to mask that information helps out occasionally

desu, even with netdecking, there are like 12+ highly competetive archetypes.

Some of us want to play a tight, high level game of Legacy on a budget, that's how we enjoy playing Magic. What are you complaining about, you have plenty of room to homebrew here, just treat us like performance checks for your deck if you're so interested in brewing something "competitive".

The very nature of competition is that the best decks rise to the top so people will copy them and use them frequently.

To that end, Pauper IS a great format because you can easily slap a brew together, quickly play against the best decks and iterate until you're happy with your brew.

>Where is the originality?
It depends on your play group.
Some decks are powerful, but that doesn't make them fun.

>Where is the originality?
>Suicide Black

lol

Switching to noble did a lot for my groups originality.

>EDH with different flavor of autism

Is that the one where none of the cards can exceed 2~3 bucks on tcgplayer?

At least I am the fucker who choses to put in Carnophage. Since there isn't a fucking video tutorial on MTGGolfish who people copy religiously, I myself need to find out of cards like Snuff Out, Dash Hopes, or Thornbow Archer fit int he deck.

I guess I am just sick of the lack of diversity in my store. Out of 20ish people 3 excluding me don't play the same "top tier" decks. The realitively low power level fo pauper allows so many rogue decks to be competitive, it boggles me that people stick to the "top tier" decks. How is it not an advantage to bring something unexpected? Or making your opponents sideboard completely ineffective.

my playgroup just put a 30$ limit.
seems to be fine.

you do realise people have been playing Carnophage in SuiBlack since it was printed?

>20% of the meta is rogue

I don't think you know how lucky you are kiddo.

Yes, but cards like Thornbow Archer, Vampire Lacerator , or Vault Skirge debatably better. I myself had to find balance between losing life and dealing damage.

Also what happens when a board-stall happens or the game goes to late-game? I needed to think of a way to still survive turn 6 and 7, while not compromising early game power,

I wouldn't have found out, if I went to a fuckign primer on MTGsalvation or mtgtop8

Wouldn't know never played edh.

Guaranteeing a single rare card "in hand" can make for a lot of interesting permutations.

It's pauper +4 uncommons and 1 rare starting in the command zone.

Don't think I've ever paid more then $10 for a pauper deck.

>2 bloodthrone vampire

I really hate how you can't use vampire aristocrat, in the aristocrat deck.

what? It is a common.

I guess he means that it's just not very good compared to Bloodthrone Vampire?

He meant to say it was inefficient compared to Bloodthrone.

On the topic o npt net decking, what are you brewing?

For me it is a quick LD deck. Symetrical effects that fuck over my opponent more than me.

Boarderposts allow me to sacrifice my lands without much problems. Affinity and Tron are easy mode, while boggles poses some problems, if I dont get an opening hand electrickery or get to don't shut them down completely in early turns.

I don't think there's enough artifacts to justify Atog.

And to the surprise of nobody, Wizards fucks up again.

HOW

HOW DO YOU BEEF IT LIKE THAT?

I am waiting for the time where drawing him screws me, but so far he is doing pretty well. the deck has a problem of winning fast enough, so even a single 5~7 damage hit seems a lot (and he is hard to remove for red decks who manage to slip a single mountain by).

I have thought to switch him with something like Flailing Soldier.

ITT: Paper pauper/xMage masterrace

I was posting in the last thread about building RG Landfall and came up with a rough list.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-03-17-rg-landfall/
It turned out more tempo than I was expecting going into it. Honorable mentions goes out to adventuring gear, which I'll try in a more aggressive list.

Your deck needs more twerking?

I'd say 10 artifacts is enough to justify 2 atogs, or at least 1.

Heh thanks for catching the typo.

Oh god that card, Im having a stupid urge to put that creature in a tron variant.

The tortured existence decks are probably the closest you'll get. Recurring gurmag angler is the payoff, gnaw to the bone is a thrashing vs aggro decks.

Calm your farm mate. Where are you finding this deck homogeneity? If it's in person, maybe people want to stick with the decks they already know/own. If online, I don't really know what to tell you, it's still an incredibly diverse format focused on deck synergy, which is very different from Standard's battleship magic.

I'd also like to see your LD and Walls decks if you've got a list handy. I've tried building RG LD and haven't had much luck so far.

Mate you are running only 11 creatures, 3 which you are never casting. For an aggro deck, thats absurdly low. 24 lands in a deck with 2 as the highest manacost is also insane. Yeah you want to play lands, but this way you will end up ramping to nowhere.

Get more creatures in there and cut some lands or have something to do with them midgame/lategame.

Oh I like that. I like that a lot. Have you tried a Springleaf Drum/0drops package? Could synergize with Atog. Not sure what I'd take out for it though.

Your pasta in not applicable here. I am complaining about the lack of diverse opponents rather than their power level. I don't want to spend my Wednesday evening playing 6~9 games vs. Affinity.
Pasted them in TappedOut; didn't put in sideboards which are pretty generic.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/temur-walls-combo/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jund-walls-combo/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-red-staxld/

Temur Walls is objectively better than Jund, but I find Jund more fun.

It could work, taking out Myrs for more 0 drop artifact creatures and switching some borderposts for the Drum. I haven't tried that, but I am eager to do.

Seconding this. I haven't built a RG landfall deck without 4 snapping gnarlid. Valakut predator goes alright too. Overall I prefer the aggressive variants with kird ape and maybe nacatl.

Singleton sejiri steppe for use with crop rotation is fun. Singleton plains is also a good idea if you're running nacatl, but that can give some awkward hands.

I love Krosan Tusker as a card, but it feels too slow here. Landfall is mainly a beatdown deck, tusker is an attrition card. Similarly Explore and Rampant Growth don't develop the creature base you would ideally be putting down turn 2-3, and only give one additional landfall trigger for the casting cost (vs the expedition giving 2 for no mana when you activate it, or crop rotation giving 2 by getting a fetch)

1 or 2 Hooting Mandrills feels right. Gives you some game if they remove your initial rush of landfall creatures.

Harrow is a card to consider. I probably wouldn't run it before 4 copies of Crop Rotation, but 2 untapped basics can lead to some shenanigans, especially with temur battle rage.

also forgot- a gruul turf is fine too, it's not fancy but by hitting itself it can be a landfall trigger each turn.

You make some cool decks. I get what you mean about jund vs temur walls, using axebane/battlement to pump out mana for fatties feels more appealing than trying to assemble the combo. I might try a temur version that tries to power out mulldrifter/aurochs/gryff/crusher. Possibly with a fierce empath toolbox.

Some way to gain life would be a nice fit for either of those, and I wonder how shield sphere from your other list would go, to stop the bleeding early.

>complaining about diversity
>in motherfucking pauper
Sempai have you seen standard? 2.5 top tier decks. And thats being generous. Pauper? Over 10 top tier archetypes, all with different play styles. Aggro, midrange, combo, control. We have them all.

>netdecking

I think you don't understand netdecking.

Competitive players enjoy coming up with gameplans against a healthy variety of powerful decks. The best way to do this is with another powerful decks. Having a personal list is awesome, but not everyone is a brilliant brewer. Being a skillful player doesnt mean knowing how to build a deck, just how to pilot one.

Enter netdecking. Now good players get to meet hot decks in their areas. They build it and have a merry time in any competition, knowing well they have a shot for the big price.

Not everyone wants to get creative with deck ideas. Most people just want to play the game.

Who U/B teachings master race here?

>mfw running creatureless with curse of the bloody tome win con plus capsize locks
>inb4 sea gate oracle and angler

triggered UB anglodelver here. Curse of the Bloody Tome is a nightmare

>implying that image resolved

how the fuck do I beat bogles

What are you playing?

edict effects

lmao young wolf

ub delver

>young wolf
>mainboard

instant speed Edicts, Curfew

>g1
>mattering

>not enjoying the slow crushing of hopes and dreams
>not enjoying beating someone without playing a single creature while they have no permanents in play

I would recommend to side in shrivel, annul and don't remove every kill spell you have mainboard. Use them to kill the plant tokens and young wolves. Try leaving mana open to counter the thoughness increasing enchantements (mask, ethereal armor and armadillo cloak) while you chip their lives with delver.

t. salty sideboard scrub

I don't remember what was the exact problem they had before but for what it matters, they can't simply just copy Magma Jet the template as an uncommon, make it common, and change the Pauper rules to allow for Magma Jet. You'd think you could just "invent" a format, set card restrictions based on card attributes (rarity, set, etc.) and be done with it but it's clearly not like that.

This is nothing new. This is par for the course. I'm 100% certain it was a problem with Eternal Masters and Modern Masters 2015 and Modern Masters 2013 before that. I can't think of specific examples but I know for sure they could NOT fuck up the rollout.

I was talking to my friend who works for Amazon and he said his team could crank out a legality checker bug tested and fully functional in a week assuming the "input" was a decklist. It would take them four days to put something together and three days finding all the stupid niche situations.

Are the planeswalkers intro decks legal on MTGO pauper?

I want to go BTE into this is a zoo deck.

what's that got to do with planeswalker decks?

Terrain Elemental is AER, and BTE will be legal in pauper once wotc gets their shit wired together.

I'm already going forest, petal, BTE into mongrel AND rootwalla turn one in my threshold deck. Here's the list btw:

3 basking rootwalla
1 blastoderm
3 burning tree emissary
4 nimble mongoose
4 werebear
2 wild mongrel

2 deep analysis
3 firebolt

4 brainstorm
3 echoing truth
3 memory lapse
3 mental note
4 thought scour

3 lotus petal

4 evolving wilds
6 forest
4 island
2 mountain
1 swiftwater cliffs
1 thornwood falls

serene heart

>AER

whoops, I meant KLD.

lol, hello again BR Aristocrats

More suitable for the Ask the Judge thread but there isn't one on at this moment so I will ask here.

Turn 3 I have an Atog - ready to attack - and 5 artifacts, including 3 artifact lands. The opponent is tapped out and his board is empty. My hand has Fling and two irrelevant cards.

Is there a point in time at which I can feed all my stuff to the Atog while floating 1R, allowing combat damage to apply and then Fling him without mana emptying from the pool? i.e. can I win this turn?

You don't have to rely solely on Falkenrath, you also have Hissing Iguanar which comes with the added bonus of being recurable with Unearth.

Other than that I feel like your list probably runs too few creatures and too much removal. One of the things I constantly ran into when tinkering with similar lists two years ago or so was that I'd often lose simply because I ran out creatures. I ended up playing about 30 in all of them, and often wished I had room for even more. The only pure removal spells I ended up playing in the main was 3-4 Tragic Slips, because the deck simply didn't need to get rid of blockers most of the time. You alpha strike, they block some of your dudes, you sacrifice them, ping them for damage, and they end up taking lethal anyway. Perilous Myr was a preferred option over Edicts because it was something to feed to your sac outlets, it handled Delvers, was retrievable with Unearth, and it could help close out games. And cards like Sultai Emissary, Butcher Ghoul, and Phyrexian Rager ended up being the preferred form of card advantage over cards like Night's Whisper and Innocent Blood, because, again, they fed your sac outlets and were recurable with Unearth.

The absolute biggest problem I had was with the mana base, however. The mana requirements were often harsh, and too many lands ended up coming into play tapped. So either you lacked that one red source you needed to cast vital cards in your hand, or you ended up with too many red sources when you needed more Swamps to be able to cast more than one creature in a single turn, or too many of your lands came into play tapped which slowed you down too much in situations where you the last thing you needed was a turn where you could do nothing because your hand was all three drops and the third land you drew was an Evolving Wilds.

No. Your mana pool empties between when combat damage is applied and end of combat begins. There is no window where you can both deal combat damage with the Atog and still float mana for your Fling.

post a list? I feel like we're talking about slightly different decks here.

Falkenrath noble here is the 4 mana flyer (arguably, he's so much weaker than princess Leia, but it's pauper after all), and does the job of blood artist. Then there are multicreature spells like war marshal and beetleback.

current list got rid of fling and one unearth (running two now) for two beetleback chief.

>post a list?
I don't have one avaiable right now. But from my memory the BR list I tried back then looked something like:

4 Carrion Feeder
4 Butcher Ghoul
4 Mogg War Marshal
4 Perilous Myr
4 Sultai Emissary
4 Hissing Iguanar
3 Viscera Seer
3 Phyrexian Rager
2 Bloodthrone Vampire

4 Unearth
3 Tragic Slip
1 Fling/Temur Battle Rage

20 Lands

>Falkenrath noble here is the 4 mana flyer
I know.

well it's quite a bit different. Yours is pretty much all creatures + unearth and 3 tragic slips.

Yes. It didn't start that way though, but that's where I ended up after testing and tweaking it for a while. I also tried a UB list that tried to be a little bit more tricky with cards like Artful Dodge and Distortion Strike, but still I ended up cutting most of them fore more sacable creatures.

>white text on white background

You need some quality control.

Thanks Veeky Forums. I learned something today. Previously I'd have thought that mana obtained during the declare blockers step would be usable in the end of combat step. But now I know better

Here is an idea if you want to spice up the deck plan. Add some threaten effects to the list. They can work to push some damage and then as fodder for your sacrifice outlets.

that's what I did in OP - wrangle combos well with sac outlets (i considered running arrest, but few dudes in pauper go above 4 power).

Depending on how quickly I empty my hand, I might consider running mind swords as well.

It is supposed to be mysterious and shrouded.

bump

And they realized one month wait time is not acceptable by any means. Good.

im thinking of getting into pauper because of BTE are there any good pauper zoo decks that could use her?

For now the only zoo deck is tribal flames zoo, which I don't see needing BTE. Though you can experiment, I'm sure BTE will make RG aggro possible. Check out stompy, tribal flames zoo and red deck wins to get ideas in how to assemble the deck.

nice. Can't wait to see if this shakes things up a little - i'm tired of seeing the same decks over and over.

hi /pauper/
what are you

>brewing
augur of bolas puzzle pieces
>playing
elves
>excited about in MM3
bte

>Brewing
trying to refine Pauper Soul Sisters. It's not really a tier deck, but if aggro gets popular, it might be a good silver bullet.
>Playing
Pauper Extortion and Elves.
>Excited about in MM3
Thunderous Wrath seems really fun, and BTE is a great addition as well. I've always wanted a place for the card because it's so simple and good, so Pauper being the place is perfect.

do you have a soul sisters list? what are your thoughts on gond?

>brewing
Wayfaring Temple pEDH deck
>playing
My old Golgari Delve deck - hadn't updated it since DTK
>excited about in MM3
I'm excited about every set and every common card desu

>brewing
RG tokens with BTE
>playing
RG tokens and RG tron
>excited in MM3
Motherfucking BTE

are you matra?

>BTE

for a vanilla 2/2 this is sure making a splash. But adding a "free" 2/2 to your play does wonders for tempo.

Y-yes. This shouldn't surprise me, I must the only person playing RG tokens non-stop.