Oops/ouch: If a student feels hurt or offended by another student’s comment, the hurt

>Oops/ouch: If a student feels hurt or offended by another student’s comment, the hurt
student can say “ouch.” In acknowledgement, the student who made the hurtful comment
says “oops.” If necessary, there can be further dialogue about this exchange.

humanities.arizona.edu/sites/humanities.arizona.edu/files/Classroom Dialogue Guide .pdf

This sort of rule would make gaming alot safer.

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2016/06/10/us/ptsd-blast-waves-research.html?_r=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>implement this rule
>the autistic kid won't stop screaming "ouch" every time the DM hits his snowflake npc

no thanks

But, you're not allowed to respect feelings on the internet.

There already is. It's called the x-card. Yes, it's just as stupid.

...And there are people who still say that universities aren't just kindergartens for adults.

Aww, that's nice, it's a cute way to teach little kids about respecti-
> the University of Arizona
- well, then.

There's something mildly funny about a guy named "Jesus" writing a paper about how to best throw a fit when someone says something you don't like instead of just, you know, TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK.

This: .

It's like the aceademia is filled with manchildren nowadays that never learned the basic social behaviour, and this is where most of the so-called "problems" stem from in the first place.

OWIE, I GOT A BOOBOO ON MY FEELINGS, GIVE ME A NOM NOM HAPPY KISS TO MAKE IT FEEL BETTER

I can't pinpoint the uneasy feeling I got reading the OP. Some sort of lingering retardation and autism permeating from the text.

>This sort of rule would make gaming alot safer.
>not playing exclusively with your friends
kek

But seriously, have you tried discussing the issue like two mature adult human beings, instead?

>>Oops/ouch: If a student feels hurt or offended by another student’s comment, the hurt
>student can say “ouch.” In acknowledgement, the student who made the hurtful comment
>says “Shut the fuck up you stupid disgusting faggot.” If necessary, there can be further dialogue about this exchange.

ftfy

How is this Veeky Forums related?

>TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK

Or grabbing your sword

>I did not come to bring peace, but a sword

>discussing the issue

Where does this meme come from?
Discomfort can be effectively communicated non-verbally--and has for millennia.

See This kind of coddling mentality is already seeping into our games in the form of things like the "X card rule", where as the GM you're supposed to give each player a card like they're some kind of sports referee where they can start morning and slap the card down if something you're saying/doing is triggering them. I've been seeing it more and more with recent RPGs.

I get what they're trying to do, but it will never work

Especially because it reinforces what a lot of people think about things like this (safe spaces, etc)

So this is what academicians are paid for.

I fucking despise Hippy Jesus, indistinguishable from Barney or a kindergarten lesson.

>talking through your issues like an adult is a "meme"

I wish someone murdered Richard Dawkins before he finished writing The Selfish Gene and that word never entered our lexicon, holy shit

Barneyfag?

x-cards have some use especially when dealing with strangers. While faggots who go "oh my god that bad guy killed someone? Triggered!" or "I find your portrayal or Orcs highly offensive, triggered!" should be laughed at you still should avoid bringing up topics that risk offending or stressing people out. If someone was raped and got over it, sure include rape in your game, but if they still haven't gotten over it either avoid the topic or use a very light hand.

Granted the reasonable way to deal with these issues is to say "hey this makes me uncomfortable can we (not do this/skip this/undo this/fade to black)" x-cards do the same thing well enough. Besides without x-cards autists who can't voice their opinions end up bitching about the DMs behind their backs on Veeky Forums.

>when dealing with strangers

WTF. Why would you play games with strangers?
It'd be like going to the restaurant with people you don't know.

>How is this Veeky Forums related?
OP knows this board is great for trolling about women, racial politics, and overcoddling in the American higher education system.

It's like the old saying goes: "You don't even need /pol/ anymore".

Why is that crusader wearing what looks to be copper plate (hoping it's actually meant to be bronze, but still) over iron chainmail?

Here's a better idea. Just murder everyone who unironically discusses memes in real life.

Not only does this automatically kill off every /pol/ retard and every Reddit wanker, it also automatically kills off every 9gag user and cleans out 75% of Facebook users.

It's a win win scenario for everyone.

On the other hand, the GM is not a babysitter. If it's a group of strangers he's running for, he's under no obligation to do a background check of every player to see what sets them off; he's already under enough stress himself to prepare the game and keep everyone entertained.

If you have such crippling PTSD that it would cause you to have an episode, you should probably be just as perceptive of others' feelings as you want them to be of your own; don't go to a fucking public gathering and bring the event to a halt because something fictional set you off.

Some people have revolving door type groups, especially groups based around a store and not a circle of friends per se.

While I don't like the X card, it's good practice to make sure people know they can object to content without being automatically made to feel like some kind of turbo-spaz fagcannon.

Frankly, I've never had a problem with this shit, because I'm here to steal some gold off some monsters, not talk about rape or racism.

No it's like playing games with people you don't know. It's common in stores and when meeting people through games.

That said, the problem with the X card is that it's designed to REMOVE dialogue to the point where the objecter does not mention what thing in the game caused him to use it, why, what other things to look out for, and whether he should be in the game at all. If used as written, the X-card also prevents anyone from trying to find the answers to anything.
Apparently it's useful at cons which have extremely high player turnover and short games, so investigating these things is an impracticality anyway, but it's certainly unhealthy for any kind of game that I'd play.

>women,
-4 STR, was it?
>racial politics,
God damn orks and elves. Even dwarves are sometimes jews.
>and overcoddling in the American higher education system.
It's not just an american problem. My wife has a math/comp.sci major and I know my way around statistics, chances, and shit than her and it came from playing games. Sure, the finance degree helps, but I knew that shit before uni.

I see where you're getting at, but from knowing people with PTSD it's very hard for them to think logically about these things when they come up (not a criticism, just an observation)

I think any way to deal with triggering issues is going to require compromise from somebody. I personally don't mind but I understand that some people do. So maybe the best thing is to discuss what people want before starting?

>While I don't like the X card, it's good practice to make sure people know they can object to content without being automatically made to feel like some kind of turbo-spaz fagcannon.

but thats exactly what this card does. it makes you out as someone unable to just talk to people like an adult . makes you look pic related

>I see where you're getting at, but from knowing people with PTSD it's very hard for them to think logically about these things when they come up
No, user, it's just hard for them to think logically at all.

Also, they don't have PTSD. This meme has to end. Go fight a war, then tell me you have PTSD. You see a thousand yard stare from someone who got their butt pinched on the train FFS.

>WTF. Why would you play games with strangers?

Like most things, Veeky Forums heard about something once and went full retard with it. The X Card was originally designed to be used at conventions, where the GM and players are all strangers. It was supposed to be a simple way for a player to show "I am personally uncomfortable with this element but I don't want to slow the game down elaborating, so please alter the situation to remove this element".

Unfortunately, Veeky Forums being Veeky Forums means that people assume it's a generic "get out of dungeon free" card that players can invoke with their regular group whenever their character loses hit points.

You do realise that you can get PTSD from surviving a house fire, natural disaster, a robbery etc.

Are you going to tell me that someone who just survived a mass car crash that killed 10 people won't be able to get PTSD from seeing a road filled with severed body parts?

So basically, socially retarded autistic cunts that don't play traditional games but do come to Veeky Forums ruin Veeky Forums once again.

Good to know. This is beginning to look like a pattern.

Autist genocide when?

There's a difference between a traumatic event where people died; and "Patriarchy is SO toxic, it gives me PTSD" feminism bullshit.

How many fucking trucks need to try to kill me before you accept I have PTSD?
Aren't three enough?
I couldn't see anything, I was too entombed within the car to move.

user has never experienced violence more severe than being mocked in high school. You can't fault him for having a shallow understanding of the topic.

Somewhere in all those buzzwords is a real post, I just know it!

What if PTSD was caused by brain damage from explosions?

nytimes.com/2016/06/10/us/ptsd-blast-waves-research.html?_r=0

>This sort of rule would make gaming alot safer.
Also a lot worse in every other way.

I think you mean
>oops

The only legitimate use for X cards is to avoid crippling phobias.
Most people don't have crippling phobias.

Considering you can get PTSD from things not explosions, that's flat bullshit. That said, actual brain damage can't help.

What about not wanting to roleplay a game about a flooding when your mom and dad just drowned last week in a mass flooding?

>user has never experienced violence more severe than being mocked in high school.
Both of my grandfathers actually had PTSD, which led to chronic insomnia, hypervigilence, and suicide. Yes, both of them. They fought in WW2, on opposite sides of the war.

Also, I was involved in:
-mugging (I was visiting a city far from home and 3 dudes surrounded me)
-Car accident as pedestrian (I was hit by a car that ran a red light)
-Car accident as a passenger (car was T-boned on my side and flipped over)
-Fist fights in high school

There's probably more shit I can think of that's just not important to me.

Guess what? I don't have PTSD. The closest thing was being hit by a car, and I was uncomfortable walking next to the road until I got over it.

You don't become a shivvering wreck of a person from one small thing.

Taps should be licensed, there should be a 30 day waiting period for paddling pools.

if your mom and dad drowned last week in a mass flooding your priorities are fucked up if you're spending your time playing rpgs with strangers

What if the PTSD designation groups together two (or more) very different kinds of trauma?

Also, I'm not talking about violent events you morons. I'm talking about Tumblrinas who are "triggered" by everything and only pretend to have PTSD to get attention because Tumblr glamorizes mental illness for some insane reason.

>MFW my daughter calls hershies kisses nomnom happykiss and now it's tainted by university faggots

Why user, all I ever gave you was my thinly veiled contempt, why have your hurt me so

How many "That Guy" threads do we have about the player who keeps trying to fuck or rape every female NPC/PC, or the GM who inserts his horrible fetish into the game?

And yet...

>Hey guys, here's a simple and perfectly optional tool to promote etiquette and civil behavior at your table

"SJW SNOEFLAKE GET OUT REEEEEEEEEE"

Who the fuck cares? Fuck off back to your containment board.

>Four Corners Exercise: Dividestudents into four groups based on their dialogue engagement style.
>Corner #1: Students who share a lot in class;
>Corner #2: Students who only talk when they are particularly motivated by the topic
>Corner #3: Students who talk only when called on by the professor; and
>Corner #4: Students who don’t talk at all in class.
>Have the students discuss different types of communication in their small groups as well as large group processing

There's going to be some quite fucking corners in this exercise.

>Metaphors
>Proceeds to define what a metaphor is for the benefit of University students
>Someone might provide the following metaphor: "Race relations in America remind me of the relationship between the earth and the sky. The earth represents ethnic/racial minorities, which sends water (e.g., diverse cultures, perspectives, opinions) to the clouds through the process of evaporation, making the sky look beautiful. For their part, clouds (which remind me of Whites) return the water back to the earth and enrich it. Both the earth and the clouds are equally important and need each other in order to live and make life interesting."

This metaphor is a mess and also makes it's sound like the White are sending everything you tried to give them back.

This is a train wreak.

Go back to your containment site. Pol is a part of Veeky Forums and always will be. Tumblr is just a cancer.

It's a tool for a different category of That Guy (Or That Girl) to ruin shit.
People with problems can indicate their problems like a goddamned adult. Even if they can't vocalize, their strong reaction is an indicator by itself. An X card is just a way for an asshole to assert control over inane shit that they have no right controlling.

My point is, it can happen, and while I have little problem now beyond not wanting to drive ever, other people may not recover or get worse than me or whatever.

I've lost track of the argument now though.

>being this dense
Everyone else is talking about the real thing you fucking mong

Jesus is only a "hippy" in highly edited, poorly translated and interpreted-by-morons circumstances.

Furthermore, the gospels of the Bible are not the "four True Gospels." They were selected by committee based on prevalence in the churches teachings and parity with their personal opinion.

Christs portrayal varies between "saintly figure of love" to "literally blinds entire crowd of people for not being 100% okay with his literal murder of children."

Jesus and Christianity as loving, peaceful and thoughtful is a modern convention brought about by the massive increase in secularism during the enlightenment. Actual Christianity justifies and in several places endorses violence heavily. Christ did not come to establish new rules. The part of the bible that talks about

>Happy is he who dashes the little ones upon the stones

Is still 100% valid and in no way altered by Christs coming. This is also a modern convention brought about by the enlightenment.

Something that is however, a very non christian thing is Witch Trials. The bible is expressly against them, and other superstitions like fortune telling. Amusingly.

>>Proceeds to define what a metaphor is for the benefit of University students
>>Someone might provide the following metaphor: "Race relations in America remind me of the relationship between the earth and the sky. The earth represents ethnic/racial minorities, which sends water (e.g., diverse cultures, perspectives, opinions) to the clouds through the process of evaporation, making the sky look beautiful. For their part, clouds (which remind me of Whites) return the water back to the earth and enrich it. Both the earth and the clouds are equally important and need each other in order to live and make life interesting."
This sounds like insane cult babble.

I've been on this website far longer than you, and I've done more for this website than you'll ever do.

I've been in the trenches against Gaia. I've been banned on Habbo dozens of times. I've fucked around on Myspace and I've participated in highly successful raids on Stormfront and the KKK forums. I've been an instrumental part in making Hal Turner bankrupt and a broken man. I've stood strong with my fellow /b/rothers each Friday against the furry menace.

You're a pathetic newfag, also it's /pol/ not Pol.

>Explain that in dialogues, every makes mistakes. What is most important is that we use these moments as occasions for learning and forgiving.
>Explain that in dialogues, every makes mistakes.
>every makes mistakes.

Indeed.

Fuck, I laughed out loud.

>How many fucking trucks need to try to kill me before you accept I have PTSD?
>Aren't three enough?
Hit me once, shame on you. Hit me thrice, WHY THE FUCK HAVE YOU NOT LEARNED AFTER THE SECOND TIME YOU DARWIN AWARD CANDIDATE.

3.6 trucks are enough.

>In dialogue, the goal is to find common ground.
>In debate, the goal is to win.

>Dialogue promotes an open-minded attitude – an openness to being wrong and an openness to change.
>Debate promotes a close-minded attitude – a determination to be right.

>Dialogue involves a real concern for the other person and seeks to not alienate or offend.
>Debate involves countering other positions without considering another person’s feelings and how the interaction belittles or deprecates the other person.

Don't join the debate team guys they're some evil motherfuckers.

>Being THIS dense
How often, in your daily life, while engaging in casual hobbies, do you run into people who are shivvering, muttering, wrecks who are incapable of expressing themselves when confronted with a mundane topic?

It's a manufactured fucking issue. The SJWs have a culture about "being triggered" because they "were raped" (really they just got drunk and picked up some guy at a bar, which feminism defines as rape). Now there's a big big bluster about how "people need to be more sensitive to people with PTSD".

It's just their way of inserting their identity politics and cancerous ideology into everything.

How do you get hit by exactly .6 of a truck?

college is basically a really expensive daycare

3 trucks + 1 SUV

I've been on Veeky Forums longer than Patriotic Nigras and habbo shit, and I've done that too.

Nobody cares about you here. That's why you're anonymous.

So go be "triggered" somewhere else.

>How often, in your daily life, while engaging in casual hobbies, do you run into people who are shivvering, muttering, wrecks who are incapable of expressing themselves when confronted with a mundane topic?
>It's a manufactured fucking issue. The SJWs have a culture about "being triggered" because they "were raped" (really they just got drunk and picked up some guy at a bar, which feminism defines as rape). Now there's a big big bluster about how "people need to be more sensitive to people with PTSD".
>It's just their way of inserting their identity politics and cancerous ideology into everything.

How often, in your daily life, while engaging in casual hobbies, do you run into "The SJWs"?

Oh, that's right never. Because you're a fucking cock-sucking smegma-guzzling shithole-rimming sissy fag /pol/ cunt who doesn't play any traditional games. Fuck off. No one wants your fucking degenerate kind here. Jump off a fucking building and end your life.

>How often, in your daily life, while engaging in casual hobbies, do you run into "The SJWs"?
Don't make me laugh.

Have you ever been to a college campus in the past decade or so?

>
Oh, that's right never. Because you're a fucking cock-sucking smegma-guzzling shithole-rimming sissy fag /pol/ cunt who doesn't play any traditional games. Fuck off. No one wants your fucking degenerate kind here. Jump off a fucking building and end your life.
You sound awfully triggered. Your PTSD flaring up again?

>It's a tool for a different category of That Guy (Or That Girl) to ruin shit.

Which you have personally encountered exactly how often?

>People with problems can indicate their problems like a goddamned adult. Even if they can't vocalize, their strong reaction is an indicator by itself.

If the hobby wasn't full of sperglords with exactly that deficiency, this wouldn't be an issue in the first place.

>An X card is just a way for an asshole to assert control over inane shit that they have no right controlling.

How? It doesn't grant executive power. It's a non-confrontational way to ask other players to dial it back... If someone at your table interprets that as permission to veto things arbitrarily, tell them "no." That doesn't sound any more difficult than your "act like a goddamned adult" proposal.

>Have you ever been to a college campus in the past decade or so?
I work at an university, so more than you.

What did you accomplish in life except post Kek memes on Facebook while jerking off to MLP porn?

>How often, in your daily life, while engaging in casual hobbies, do you run into "The SJWs"?

Maybe he lives in Seattle or L.A. or goes to any number of liberal arts colleges. Maybe he only plays online where sjw- types are more vocal.

>Have you ever been to a college campus in the past decade or so?
Literal college student here. I've met maybe 3. They must be really sneaky if it's as riddled with cancer here as you're suggesting.

Or maybe he's just a /pol/ faggot stirring shit up with fake stories just like those cocksucking Warmahordes players.

Kill them all, gas all those cunts.

>Which you have personally encountered exactly how often?
Four separate times at four separate games, which is infinitely more often than I've seen it used any other way.

>How? It doesn't grant executive power.
As written, it's supposed to put a complete and total stop to whatever happens to be going on with no discussion or explanation or appeal. Dead stop, do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars. If the X-card is respected, it's the highest form of executive power you can have at a table.

>What did you accomplish in life except post Kek memes on Facebook while jerking off to MLP porn?
Have a degree, a family, a successful career as a medical researcher.

What about you? Gender studies major? Professional victim?

>jew
Ah, a leftypol retard, I should have known.

I took a STEM program, and I never dealt with that shit either, but my wife is in her fourth year of college right now and literally every single one of her classmates is a liberal, and at least half of them are gay or tranny. They ALL subscribe to the SJW ideology openly, with, maybe 1 or 2 exceptions who just have no strong opinion on the matter.

I don't know how to drive.
I don't want to learn how now anyway.
I just don't know how it happened to me.

1°) No one dies, but me and my friend end with both legs broken and unable to move. The airbag proves to be an almost perfect asphyxiation weapon.

2°) In a curve near a mill, a truck bumps sideways against the pickup truck I was in, hooking it with some overly long bolts and dragging us for half a klick and almost throwing us to the other line. Thanks to vigorous clanking from other drivers it all stopped before I jumped out.

3°) This one was a rear end crash that sent us spinning into a lagoon.

If I tell you about an unoccupied school bus in a low speed crash, would it be enough?

Maybe one, I think? There are pamphlets and all that jazz, but the closest I've seen in person was a feminist.

PTSD has a very specific set of diagnostic features and requirements, and traumatic brain injuries can't replicate most of them. People can get PTSD from trauma that never had physical components.

PTSD was a problem ignored for so long, and every so often someone gets the bright idea that it's actually something else, and it's not.