pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12574247
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/rules.html#Step-by-Step Characters
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

D&D Beyond isn't bad, but you can't click on any of the numbers to calculate attack, save, damage values.
It's just a glorified system reference document and not actually interactive.
What's the point?

Thoughts on the case incentive minis so far?

How's this?

strawpoll.me/12574247

> love playing Pathfinder and 3.5 because of all the customization
> players play broken ass shit and ruin the campaign then whine at me for not gitting gud
> game ends up in such a fully optimized state that customization no longer exists because the only option is CoDzilla win button of scrolls
> go to play 5e
> customization sucks ass

There is no winning. Will there ever be an edition of D&D that isn't 75% shit?

to bilk the uninformed of money

Well than go back to 3e and pathfinder. Just make agreements not to be overpowered

The only iterations of D&D with that sort of bent are 3.X and 4e, so if you want a "character engine" sort of system that's neither of these then you should look elsewhere.

Binders work better on the Mystic chassis.

What are you thinking for Pact spells?

>Pactbinders
>casting spells

Has anyone ever raped an NPC/enemy?

Only my fellow players.
The game table is no place to be inserting your own magical realms.

No one was posting anything else

> go to play 5e
> customization sucks ass

I initially thought this then realized all the possibilities afforded by multiclassing and the proper feats.

Don't forget R E F L U F F I N G and mechanic swapping.
Hell, just use different archetypes on different classes.
>Battlemaster Barbarian

Yeah this really. Honestly the more straight-forward approach to classes is really nice because in my opinion it allows for better player dynamics. Whereas the overcomplicated mess of other systems with classes means players don't really get creative for every obvious reason under the sun.

Is it weird that I've kinda been turned off multiclassing after 3e?

I think I'd much prefer something more like the arcane trickster/theurge/favoured soul/eldritch knight archetypes.

From what I understood it isn't complete yet. Well get a character builder soon at least.

I don't understand why people get so upset when you admit that 5e lacks customization.

2e also offered a ridiculous amount of customization.

Goblins or Kobolds?

Kobolds. At least they have an aspiration

Why couldn't they just make 5e that way? What made 3.5 bad was:

1) lack of number balance (i.e. 4e's 1/2 level, or 5e's proficiency)

2) SoD spells with no downsides

3) scrolls and wands obliviating the utility classes (the spells themselves were less of an issue as they were obviously meant to be a poor fill in for rogue, but really they should have been deleted too)

4) Feats that were shit

Except 5e mostly fixed the feats but doesn't barely have any, the SoD spells that were actually fun and bad-ass were replaced with straight damage because the devs couldn't think of a way to balance them in an interesting way, and Vancian casting is back with the retarded spell matrix that is like a tax for playing a caster.

> multiclassing has ability score requirements now to block dipping
> instead of just limiting the total number of classes you can take
> implying the feats are even interesting
> implying chargen is half as interesting as 3.5

Just because being a fighter is less shitty, doesn't mean they are more interesting to build. Even the shitty options in 3.5 were more fun than the "options" in 5e.

No.

Multiclassing was never popular outside of minmaxboards, I've played with several different groups and only one person multiclassed.

Goblins. They're not as stupid/annoying/pointless in the standard (FR) and have less shortstack and no furry shit going round.

>archetypes
>I don't like actually controlling anything about my character so i will pick one of these epic destiny paths.

Everyone in my group save one multiclassed, so I guess it's a by-group thing.

Drudge.

Am I the only one here even mildly hyped for Tales from the Yawning Portal? I've only been DMing a year and never got to run the classics, so I'm excited.

I just started running Curse of Strahd. I was thinking that if any of the PC's die, they get to come back as Revenants, but their ultimate punishment will be having to clear the Tomb of Horrors after defeating Strahd if they want any hope of escaping Barovia. Is this a good idea?

No but my players moved away from a group of hostiles to attack the leader of the group. Problem was the group had been harassing a family and they now had free access to hostages. they saved two out of four

>5e has Vancian casting
When will this meme die?

5e is spells known combined with MP predivided into slots. You don't prepare spell "bombs" of individual castings that are lost once used. It is by definition not Vancian. Calling your magic resource "slots" is not what makes Vancian casting Vancian.

how difficult is it to make a fresh PC in 5.0?

I'm hyped for it. I've got the Roll20 version preordered and am going to buy the book locally on Friday (WPN release date). I'm going to be running and streaming the whole thing with different character groups for each adventure, should be rad.

I'm mostly excited for Sunless Citadel. That's a classic adventure and the first I ever ran as a DM.

Yes.

5E is very multiclass friendly. Playing straight through a class is easy and functional, but once you figure out how to mix and match things, multiclassing is the way to go for combining interesting abilities and coming up with different flavors.

>Why couldn't they just make 5e that way?

You aren't going to like the answer, 5e was designed so podcasts didn't have to play loose with the rules like they did with previous versions. Mearls believes D&D's future is a non-interactive livestreamed show.

does anyone have the compiled UA codex that was downed by wizards?

lizardfolk

kobolds all the way.

5e multiclassing is a lot better than 3.5e for the purposes of making something "just fine" based on whatever idea you might have. You do have to try a little bit (don't screw yourself out of Extra Attack if you need it, for example) but it feels much more common sense based than trying to make something passable with 3.5e's esoteric broken madness-inducing wank multiclassing.

That said, multiclassing requires much more DM oversight than forcing singleclassing.
I force singleclassing in the game I DM, and that's just to save time for everyone; even if everyone want to stay within acceptable bounds, it still takes significant added homework and negotiation if you want to be sure it's all peachy, compared to just running single classes, which have pretty solid balance unless you count the original BM ranger.

Easy. Just follow the guide in chapter 1 of the PHB, also found here: 5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/rules.html#Step-by-Step Characters

Most sane people don't play 2e with the Options line stuff. That's where the majority of the "no playtesting policy" trouble comes from.

>Mearls believes D&D's future is a non-interactive livestreamed show.

With 50% of the party playing fags and trannies, don't forget.

Going to be rolling up a Firbolg Ranger aiming for the UA Primeval Guardian. However, reading through the Guardian Soul ability, I have a question on both being a Large creature and using a bow and the general effectiveness; are there penalties for wielding smaller weapons? Or, despite the severe speed decrease, does going melee Ranger work here?

There are no penalties for wielding smaller weapons, at least by RAW. For melee, you're supposed to run in, use your tree form, then bunker down until the enemies are dead.

No offense, but this has zero fun of the 3,5 binder OR the 5E warlock. No expanded spell list, no access to UA invocations (aside from level 14 ability, technically), it's pretty bland.
Also I vigorously hate those "prevent/reduce damage, regain use after rest" abilities, they're unoriginal as fuck and are a dumb filler, brings nothing new to the table.
This, pretty much. Mechanically they're much closer. I'm not entirely sure how it should be implemented, but there has to be a way of imprinting it onto the Mystic base. The flavour would suffer a bit, but given that IIRC most of vestiges from Tome of Magic inhabited the Astral Plane, it wouldn't be TOO much of a stretch. After all, we already have a wizard discipline that used to be an actual full fledged class before making a comeback in 5E.

Understand that D&D does a concession on strength, if the game focused on realism, to hit would always be dex and damage would always be str.

Basically in real life hand-eye coordination is king among men the less and less you need to actually put strength behind a weapon (now a kid with a gun can literally kill anyone as long he hits them in the head), D&D and many games with simplistic/nonsensical stats do the concession where "Melee=str".

However, cool as fuck. Gonna bug my DM to at least include the weapons.

Otherwise you'd end up with anima/3.5PF/GURPS/WoD/Etc... stat imbalance, where a stat is god-emperor and the rest of stats swerve and (some) of those at least tend to put a require str behind a weapon to give str some medium use.

The only games where you can customize into retarded shit are ones with no huge playerbases that end up minmaxing. Or welcome the darkness and play GURPS.

Are they ever going to make a reprinting of the PHB to include all the UA?

Whatever you call it, it's dumb and I don't like it. No sir.

>they actually print Loremaster with a slap on the wrist nerf
Watch it happen.

Then use the spell points variant in the DMG.

Hmm, interesting. So do you belive that it will go the route of let's plays?

It really felt like a missed opportunity that the sorcerer class didn't just use spell points instead of slots. I can understand why they wouldn't want that for multiclass purposes, but I feel like they are really lacking as far as having a niche

>I can understand why they wouldn't want that for multiclass purposes
Except they already did goofy shit with pact magic so it makes even less sense.

Can you make multiple range attacks with thrown weapons? I've had some DM say drawing and throwing a new knife counts as part of the attack the same way a fresh arrow would be.

Other say that only applies to actual the range of class weapons, not a throw melee weapons.

Drawing a weapon can be done as part of an action, so that seems reasonable to me.

I'm call bullshit on this.

Guys is fantasy grounds good for 5th ed with friends? I've been watching some tutorials, looks pretty cool and simple, I live really far from my friends now, so it would be cool to be able to play still.

Tell the other to fuck himself. If you can't throw multiple knives why even live?

something about pulling a new weapon can be done with your free interaction so if you had a javelin in hand, you can pull another one with your free interaction and throw a second one, but after that it's up to your dm to allow anything else.

>Drawing a weapon counts as part of the action.

Not to be a Smart arse, but is it part of the attack or the action? Because there's a big distinction there between the two

is it really that broken?

anyone?

strength save hold person
forceballs
cast spells from a mile away because why the fuck not

I'm going off of page 190 in the PHB. There's a blue box that says "Here are a few examples of the sorts of thing you can do in tandem with your movement and action". The examples are things like "draw or sheathe a sword" or "withdraw a potion from your backpack". So... part of the action, I suppose.

It's a bit overpowered but people certainly exaggerate it.
The worst aspect of it is that, to me, all of those features make *much* more sense as something a Sorcerer would have.

>strength save hold person
wouldn't int or cha be better?

Too many 'free' options for a class with already buttload of options basically.

It would like if a barbarian got battlemaster and totem.

hold person paralyses you. paralysed people automatically fail strength and dex saves

On top of the exploits people have mentioned it has no bad features, while all the other Wizard archetypes have at least one.

>Part of the action.

Right, so technically you can't just spam throwing weapons like knives or javelins regardless of your attacks, you can only draw one for a throw weapon per action.

Which is annoying but fair I suppose. it's a range weapon of convenience not the intent attack main option.

That stuffs coming in later steps. Consider this an Alpha right now. Character creation and management comes in the next phase (Closed Beta), followed by full campaign management and homebrew libraries in phase 3 (Open Beta). Then the whole thing gets public release for some fucking ridiculous price because WoTC.

ah, that's kind of stupid. but i guess you'd still have to fail the original saving throw using str so it's not an automatic get fucked button.

Is it worth multi-classing Bard with anything?

you asked this already and people already told you

2 in Fighter for armor proficiency, a Fighting Style and Action Surge.

Anyone else ever considered playing a full orc wizard?

>Variant human EK4/LandDruid4/NatureCleric1/AT4/Warlock4/Wizard1/Sorcerer1/Bard1 can get 34 cantrips
>There are 40 cantrips in the game
Why live?

LoreBard6/Paladin14

Otherwise probably not, just keep levelling up for spells and consider taking a level or two of fighter or paladin if you want better armour + shields + possibly smiting/action surge.

im sure you can get more user, just keep trying

I want to play D&D on roll20 but I know only the most basic starter rules about the game. How do I get started because D&D actually seems like a lot of fun and I'd genuinely like to git gud at it.

Warlock 2 for more damage potential with cantrips.

I feel the best way to learn is by playing and having all the more expirienced players yell at you what you're doing wrong

Just like play gaem.

How would one go about building an "anti-magic" character? Someone who hunts warlocks for a living, for example.

> Ran a campaign a few months ago
> Player rolls up a LG dragonborn paladin only for the stats and abilities
> Asks him what type and he goes for vengeance
> Asks him if he worships a god
> He says yes
> I wait for what god and he never says
> Asks him who and he says he doesn't know any gods
> We have to spend 20 minutes because he can't decide on what god
> Finally decides on Tiamat
> Asks him if he knows who Tiamat is
> Says she's a dragon god so she's good enough
> I suggest Bahamut then after explaining why a LG paladin of Tiamat might be tough to play
> He goes with it
> Few sessions in, the bard decides to steal sacred scrolls to a temple of Bahamut since it contains secret lore and he wants it
> Offers a +1 weapon he was holding on to from a dungeon crawl to paladin if he helps
> Paladin accepts and steals the scroll
> Bard learns secret shit and then releases it to the public
> Paladin gets nightmare about bahamut being pissed at him
> Asks me out of character why this is happening and why I'm picking on him

After a few more sessions the campaign imploded due to having to get 5 people to align their schedules and I now I'm just making a new one with 2 PCs.

So how is everyone's campaigns going?

Get the pdfs of the PC handbook and look at the Unearthed Arcanas and any of the additional books.

Also, try to find players to play with. With time you'll get better. Just expect to be shat on, tricked, and killed if you have the same group as me if you start.

Go inquisitor paladin.

Mage slayer and maybe shield master traits

Become a bard or abjuration wizard.

Third party made it, so probably the bulk of the cost.

It's gonna be a bait post is my guess

You should've just said 'You don't HAVE to worship a god'

Doesn't sound like they were up for roleplay heavy stuff anyway.

Also fuck Bahamut

Ancients or devotion paladin.

How to go about getting sexy dwarf girlfriend in a game. Our lesbian ranger can get a girlfriend why couldn't my dwarf who has +0 cha

Maybe your bard shouldn't have asked a LG paladin of Bahamut to help steal scrolls from a temple of Bahamut. Seems like a surefire way to get smited, or at least reprimanded. Are all your players retarded or something?

Yeah. Slapped myself after.

You're a dwarf. You want a dwarf chick. Get one drunk, bang, chat in the morning, see if she's up for a long distance relationship.

I think my DM is giving me the option to change my half-elf race into a half-elf variant. Do I trade my two skills of Stealth and Intimidation (neither of which I really use) for Elf Weapon Training, which I'd only really be taking for the shortsword?

How would you handle an Ur-Priest in 5e?

I did once.

He was a barbarian.

You've answered that one yourself lad.

Why should I just stick her in a bag of holding until I get 9th level spells to revive her. Portable girlfriend