MTG Modern General: Matchup&Sideboard Lottery Edition

Do you think "[strategy] loses the game if unanswered" cards like Stony Silence, Leyline of the Void, Blood Moon etc make for good gameplay and/or are necessary to have in the format?

Playing, hating, brewing, sideboarding?

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern
>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-abzan-evolution-33246#paper
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Ari Lax.

>Do you think "[strategy] loses the game if unanswered" cards like Stony Silence, Leyline of the Void, Blood Moon etc make for good gameplay and/or are necessary to have in the format?

Good gameplay? No.

Necessary? Absolutely.

The entire reason Frontier is a meme format that will never ever be good is the complete lack of powerful hate cards like this.

Stony silence and leyline of the void are good for the format

Blood moon is not

What do you hope to see in Amonkhet?

I think punishing effects are generally good for the format-

They just punish extremely focused decks, which should be a weakness when you go all-in on a gimmick. They help to increase diversity in threats and answers.

Enchantments that don't suck fat dick

Did you enjoy Gods in Theros?

While most people hate hose cards like leylines, stony silence, and blood moon these cards are neccesary silver bullets for certain decks. Such as leyline of the void or rest in peace destroys dredge. Stony Silence stops Affinity. And Blood Moon hoses Tron and punishes non primary red Red decks.

Now do they make good or dynamic gameplay however simple answer No

>Playing
8 Rack and Free Win Red
>Hating
Not so much hating but its getting stale going against DSJ and Abzan decks
>Brewing
The Duck Hunt Deck is the next thing I plan on ordering just for a good laugh. It will fit in right next to my lost in the woods deck
>Sideboarding
Splashing green in 8 rack for maelstrom pulse and abrupt decay has made 8 rack much more resilient to esper control and decks that pack leyline of sanctitiy

>And Blood Moon hoses Tron
But this is false.

>Blood Moon hoses Tron

Get this fucking meme outta here

You smart asses act like it does absolutely nothing. How bout you get outta here with that retardation?

Because it doesn't. My winrate vs decks that slammed it is like 90%, take that how you will.

Cards that are actually playable outside of standard and EDH

shards of alara colored gods and more zombie support also Nicol Bolas I guess would be interesting to see him shit on the gatewatch

Not that guy, but O-stone comes down turn 3 and kills your moon and all your guys the following turn. It's not all that good against tron.

>implying the lamewatch is capable of losing.
Nah man. Jace and Co are gonna beat bolas to a pulp and make him lose his spark via the power of friendship. There is also gonna be a new planeswalker of an undisclosed minority group who is gonna be important.

If my only answers to lantern are Kataki and Stony Silence, which one should I mulligan for?

I personally would go for kataki because you can attack with it. but I honestly have never actually played against lantern. No one plays it around here

>Because it doesn't. My winrate vs decks that slammed it is like 90%, take that how you will.

It doesn't hose tron but if backed up with significant pressure and/or tempo, it will result in a pretty easy win.

Guaranteed though, most players do think it is an insta win and as a result keep weaker hands on average that just happens to have a hoser card.

This.

There is a difference between
Delver, goyf, moon, hold up interaction
To
Pass, mind stone, blood moon, nothing /koth

I'd go with kataki honestly. Running a creature-heavy deck kataki could potentially make them get rid of ensnaring bridge and allow you to attack

The "this hand sucks but I'll keep it because it has a silver bullet" trap. I was playing titanshift last week and a player kept a one lander two games in a row because the hand had crumble to dust and I killed him before he ever got to cast it both times.

You're gonna need more hate than that desu

t. Lantern player

No lantern player worth a shit would ever sac bridge and let you get in. Lantern also doesn't really care too much about the tax since they can just keep what they need and wait to kill kataki.

I've just got the Deepfathom Skulker and then the typical Ancient Stirrings as card draw. I wanted something that would be a useful topdeck in grindier matchups and it fits that role reasonably well, letting me fill up my hand again and use any spare mana to help get my team through.

>What do you hope to see in Amonkhet?

CATS

You'll need to be a bit more specific as to what deck you are playing so we'll know which is better.

Tempo cards.
Pls no more gbx support. It's getting so tiring playing against the same decks right now. I cannot stand midrange

Cards like that are needed. Sideboard are there for a reason dipshits.

I can't wait for the gods to not have cards and people to ree about it

CASCADE

What is ree

the reddit frog meme

BABY DONT HURT ME

alt-right hate speech

Gods will be formatted like planeswalkers. Wait for it.

Cause the only thing missing from Magic is another god awful border design.

At least they're moving flavor text into the name/art to give them more space to tack on unneeded effects.

WotC Design team has been the best influence on Magic since 2011.

>At least they're moving flavor text into the name/art to give them more space to tack on unneeded effects
Huh?

They're only necessary because of the weakness of and lack of diversity in general-purpose answers compared to the speed, strength, and diversity of threats.

Answers don't win games unless you're Red, but Red only because Red isn't allowed to have good beaters.

Cats, snakes, more humanoid sphinxes in place of angels. Ideally cards that feature decent art and are playable outside of standard and limited.

This whole post is retarded

Burn exists user.
But really, only Green and Black are allowed to get huge, while Blue is allowed evasion.

Red gets occasional access to trample and flying, but it's usually on something requiring too much mana for modern.
They don't even get the speed they're supposed to have. Otherwise Goblin Guide would have alternatives.

"Sticks to Snakes," the card.

Have you ever played in a format or metagame where control was not just a notion, but an actually viable strategy with multiple archetypes?

I'm legitimately curious.

Something to break Eldritch Evolution. Bonus points if it's mono-G and Wizards thought it was going to be a junk rare.

I don't think we're on the same page. This seems like a communication issue. Allow me to backtrack and clarify.

Answers, in the form of removal, be it kill spells or counter spells, do not win the game. They may enable a winning strategy (protecting combo pieces) but are not capable of reducing the opponent's life total below 20 on their own.
Threats in the form of creatures are able to do this.

Sorry if I didn't get that idea across the first time.

>Ideally cards that feature decent art and are playable outside of standard and limited
Heretic. You ask far too much

>tfw Uncle WotC only gives you broken toys

>Eldritch Evolution

Why not just play it somewhat like a Birthing Pod style deck?

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-abzan-evolution-33246#paper

Eldritch evolution without the exile clause when?

Why not use it with Delve to enable huge, otherwise unplayable cards?

Eldritch evolution priced to stuff into Isochron scepter when?

Because there's better ways to do that one where as this one is more like a toolbox value deck that isn't all-in on a combo type win.

Autistic screeching represented by an autistic frog to represent disdain in the form of autism

See, "answers don't win games" is itself a statement that misses the point. Modern lacks the sort of powerful general answers that would scale to its powerful and efficient threats, and so that leaves decks to rely even more heavily on silver bullets brought in off the sideboard.

Sure, but Sibsig Muckdraggers into Worldspine Wurm is nice and spicy.
Meanwhile x2 fish or monkey gives a way to slam Wurmcoil Engine without needing a 4-drop already on the battlefield, and dramatically reduced the possibility of dead cards in hand.

If the shell can manage bigger creatures, what's three cards invested on enabling something nasty?

>Answers, in the form of removal, be it kill spells or counter spells, do not win the game.
But what if we staple answers to creatures?

Can I slot it into my bogles deck?

>Sibsig Muckdraggers into Worldspine Wurm is nice and spicy.

Sure but again you can do better ways of trying to do that. You can just cast Through the Breach to Worldspine Wurm. Can even play Summoner's Pact to go fetch it.

>Meanwhile x2 fish or monkey gives a way to slam Wurmcoil Engine without needing a 4-drop already on the battlefield, and dramatically reduced the possibility of dead cards in hand.

I really don't understand what you're saying here with "x2 fish or monkey" but either way you don't want to be tutoring up for a Wurmcoil Engine with EE. You always more or less want to be tutoring up for a dude that has an ETB effect or some form of protective ability or hoser.(e.g Anafenza Foremost, Sigarda, Resto Angel etc.) If you're going to tutor up a 6 mana creature you've got shit like Primeval Titan that has immediate impact.

>If the shell can manage bigger creatures, what's three cards invested on enabling something nasty?

Because if you're getting a bigger creature that creature has to pretty much win you on the spot(e.g Allosaurus Rider into Craterhoof behemoth) and not just be super cool dude or you need to be more disruptive with your toolbox answers with dudes(e.g Orzhov Pontiff, Sin Collector)

Go ahead and play that O-stone when all your fetches and duals are fucking mountains.

Or what if it along with removal it also brings out your own threats? Hmm...

I don't know about Tron, but
>taps mox opal

If only there was a deck that Living End slotted into. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to live in a world without answers forever.

Yeah, save that your mox opal doesn't have metalcraft because your artifact lands are all non-artifact mountains.

Actually, they'd be artifact mountains. It's their land type that got changed, not their card type.
Same reason why Dryad Arbor is still a 1/1 when Blood Moon is out. Just taps for red Mana instead of green

Huh. That's weird as hell. I've had an L2 tell me, at the table, that blood moon basically says 'treat all your opponent's nonbasics like they picked the fucker up and put a mountain in it's place."

>If only there was a deck that Living End slotted into
Can't tell if serious

A return of Split Second. Counterspell, or a decent equivalent. Plague Spitter. Decent land destruction.
He lied.

FLAMETONGUE KAVU

>Can't discern obvious sarcasm
I'm sorry for you, user

Land destruction is never happening user. Split Second would be baller af though.

Don't let the dream die, user.

This place is filled to the brim with drooling, mouth breathers, any other day someone would make your post with complete conviction

that nigga was one of my fav niggas when i started playing magic

It would have been written differently

here
I wanted to know what you guys wanted from Amonkhet that would help modern, ife; a counterspell reprint or something to fuck Jund/k up or artifact hate. Who gives a shit about kitties and sneks for your edh decks?

I hope they don't reprint Counterspell, it would warp Standard!

More absurdly powerful high-cost colorless threats.

Edh is literally the only good format and the only format that matters.

Edh is a crapshoot and only fun once every month or so
Why are you even here

Reprinting counterspell would be a mistake. It fills the "powerful blue" quota, but isn't the option blue needs to be anything but a support color.
We have plenty of artifact hate. The only artifacts that actually need hate are 0-drops, because they're either free mana, free goyf food, and so on. Mind you, ornithopter/memnite are fine, pact spells with their 0-cost are also fine.
We don't need generalized artifact hate. We need something more specific than that.
>fuck up Jund/k
Giving non-GBx options would be better than hate cards. Maybe if they hadn't bungled the Tarkir rares we wouldn't be saying this.

>fuck your flavor cards
wow fuck you man. It's not like 98% of every new expansion is anything but useless garbage anyway.

He's right if they're just lands with no other card type to them. Legendary lands are still affected by the legend rule under Blood Moon.
I had to explain why a 2/3 Goyf with no instant in the grave doesn't die to bolt to a judge a few days ago.

How the fuck did he even become a judge without knowing how Goyf works?

This x10000000

Way to pick apart my post big shoots. I don't hold any opinions about what kind of cards should be printed. I'm just trying to generate discussion about the format and what we hope to see on the horizon.

I didn't say fuck fun/flavor cards, but this is not the thread to talk about that shit. "We need a 2/2 with hexproof in this color" is relevant. "More cats and snakes" is not.

I spent five minutes joking around with a guy I was playing at gp Vancouver about not bolting my goyf and then the motherfucker does it right after on my end step.
The people watching had a good laugh. Smh

Give me nimble mongoose

user, the reason you're having trouble stirring up debate is because you're going about it like a faggot.

There is a certain type of debate you are insisting on, but you never laid out what that is. We cannot be on the same page if you have not defined your terms. Research papers typically do this at the start, where they lay out their assumptions and cite other papers that elaborate on what that assumption is if it is not common knowledge.

On top of not defining your terms, you get mad at people for not following the terms. Again, you have not defined them. And you get pointlessly mad that them. It's like talking with a tranny.
Plain and simple, your conversational tactics don't make sense. Does a sternly-worded post make me cave in to your demands?

Nope. It makes me shittalk you.
What did you hope to accomplish with that post?

Do you people not get classic heroic storytelling? Bolas wins their first confrontation, so the heroes can "grow" and overcome their nemesis before his ultimate triumph.

No, fuck traditional story telling. It's boring and makes for mcbooks

Also fuck the gatewatch

user, there's the world as is, and the world as it should be.

If you want good licensed fiction, you need good licensed fiction authors.

Kinda, yeah. I was hoping for "damn, this user is disappointed in us, we should have tried harder. He clearly expects more from modern general"

So I guess I have to Jund now?

I agree with you, but do you seriously think the writers of the Jacetice League are above it?

You got a Lili, why would that put you in Jund? If you want to make a GBx deck do Abzan because at least you have a Voice too.

>A Voice
Nigger he got a foil one too.

No ;_;

Or you could sell all that shit and buy into Living End, an actual fun deck.