I dont know much about mtg, so i'm asking Veeky Forums. Has there any been a drastic change in the rules of the game...

I dont know much about mtg, so i'm asking Veeky Forums. Has there any been a drastic change in the rules of the game? I don't mean things like certain rulings being changed, I mean big changes that completely change the game.

Stack interactions with attacking/defending creatures and manaburn are the two I recall that had some impact.

I enjoyed the fact that mana burn was now no longer a thing

It became not a thing literally a day after I had an argument about it with a guy. It was kinda funny.

Yeah, they no longer allow white men to compete in tournaments or purchase cards openly.

Is OP not counted as a unique poster, or was this an elaborate setup to shitpost?

Ante.
Planeswalkers.
Retroactively applying keywords and card types.
The combat change was really needed though.

The biggest changes that come to mind:
>deck size minimum being raised to 40 and nonbasic cards being limited to four in a deck
>the stack
>changing the legend rule
>making combat damage a static thing instead of putting it on the stack
>changing the legend rule again and changing the Planeswalker uniqueness rule to match it

>The combat change was really needed though
Awe was damage on the stack too much for you to handle?

The development of new sets went to complete hell. Last good set was the original innastrad block. Do yourself and the community a favor, unless your playing edh or kitchen table dont start playing.

But user... damage using the stack was something they literally invented out of thin air when the stack was invented. Damage works closer now to how it did when the game was first created than when damage used the stack.

How new are you?

I'm not new at all. That system was just better

Vancouver mulligan

No it wasn't. Combat damage using the stack was completely counter intuitive.

I really liked SoI block. The eldrazi part was a extremely divisive (I didn't hate it), but I liked emerge.
Also RTR and GTC were okay.

Yeah, it went completely to shit.

Gatecrash was one of the worst limited formats in the last 15 years

I could not care less about limited.

Too hard to grasp. Thought so

You're adorable.

Ebin reply
>I can't handle combat tricks

While I used the old system for damage on the stack frequently when it was a thing, I'm also glad it's gone.

It was very flavorful at least how the Eldrazi destroyed, only two worlds, but two blocks. Truly evocative design.

how else would you evaluate individual sets then? You can't really look at its impact in standard because it is in that format with a dozen different sets over the course of when its legal, so you have to look at a standard format as a whole. You really can't just look at a set and say, "i liked buying packs from it" and call it a good set. Sets are designed to be drafted, so if a set has a miserable limited experience, its a bad set.

Sets are designed for many different purposes and can be good or bad in different respects. A set that has a bad limited environment can still have a positive effect on constructed formats, or contain cards that are very exiting for a majority of players, and vice versa.

newfriend here who hasn't played magic for long, what was better about damage being on the stack?
what did it improve and what could you do with it?

The change from damage going on the stack has me kind of torn. On the one hand it was pretty counterintuitive and tough for newer players to understand. On the other hand it allowed for more complex and interesting interactions in the combat phase.

As an example, one of my more fun casual decks prior to the change was a red / white Mannichi deck with low attack and high toughness creatures that I used to play in large multiplayer games after opening far too many Mannichis in Kamigawa block. My own deck was packed with high toughness but lower power creatures, that tended to be dirt cheap for their abilities due to their power. They'd defend a bit like walls, and between Mannichi's ability and some instant speed buffs could rapidly deal huge amounts of damage. You could also just play with other people's combats all around the table by swapping stats during combat.

Of course there were a lot more interesting interactions that the old rules allowed in more serious magic games.

i don't see how that's much more different than just doing your shenanigans after defenders are declared

Sorry, but a game that is sold to 10 year olds needs to be slightly less intensive than compiling map strings for the navy.

I agree it opened up the possibility for more play but if you think that's the final determiner of how our cardboard fantasy hobby will (or even should) be produced then you should probably go find another hobby. You might be mistaking the value of this game.