>Previously, on /5eg/...
Kindly take this poll, /5eg/.
strawpoll.me/12584834

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.me/5eg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.me/5eg

What is the best class to play as a kobold in?
I'm thinking bard.

Thank you

Does posting the discord link count as spam at this point?

What are some shittily done, too popular for their own good ideas that you might like to see done properly? Maybe some dndwiki trash? Wanted to try to homebrew something.

No it's wild magic sorcerer

Mystic

Actual answer: rogue.

Meme answer: mystic.

It's not even once per thread. Let's just not be shitters about it.

No just let it be if you chimp out, it gets worse, leave it up to each individual OP to decide whether or not to put it up there, and if a random user wants to add it to the thread none of us can stop them.

A half human template for anything

Forget memes, that shit sounds like it could be fun.

How do you join? I've never used anything besides an instant invite link.

I had a 3.5e character once that was a kobold swordsage with a greatsword. His whole shtick was jumping around and dealing massive damage through it. Brute Force makes me want to rebuild it.

Register and email-validate your account.

Wouldn't that just be a separate race? Templates seem odd, especially in that context.

Go to discord.com, sign up, and if you like download the program, then click the link, it automatically adds it to your server list.

Will unearthed arcana ever be released as a supplement?

Did volo kobolds have an int penalty?

Not the one you've replied to, but half-elves are basically a subrace of elves.

Make an assortment of "half X" feats that varhums can take.

Which giant stronghold is best giant stronghold?
Are they all roughly the same difficulty?

The idea is it can be included in separate future supplements, when hammered out.

They have a strength penalty, which is a problem for a greatsword build.

It'd be nonoptimal by any measure but still cool, I think.

So if you dip a level into Cleric or Druid do you get their whole spell list as your casting advances?

Kobolds are always fun.

Just the first level spells dude

How strong is this?

On first glance it seems insane, its a straight 50% power boost to any Warlock since they are limited to 2 spells per rest.

Have you ever have a game where everyone is one class and you need to really specialize?

Preparing spells is still based on your individual class levels, so you'd only have 1st-level spells unless you took 3 levels in the given class.

Just get them a giant strength belt/ gauntlets of strong ogre strength

There's overlap, but it doesn't quite fit that way mechanically.

But making a half human template, and applying it to "anything" doesn't work, because it's largely a matter of removing and modifying that race in a custom manner. And just forget a half dragon with that method.

It'd be easier to make 1st level variant human only feats representing being a half blood.

So anyway, I've been wanting to use CR 1 spellcasters with imp familiars (to indicate devils are providing material support) as antagonists for low level PCs. When their master dies, they no longer count as familiars and are enraged and sting somebody.

On the other hand, even though a first level party should probably be able to handle two CR 1 encounters in a row, an imp basically unloads 15 points of damage on you with advantage from surprise in a way you can't do anything about, which admittedly sucks.

Part of why I like this idea is that CR 1 caster + imp duos can challenge fairly high level PCs, so I can use these guys as footsoldiers for one of the enemy factions, and its not really them appearing out of nowhere, just in scenarios where the PCs can't pick them off one at a time. On the other hand, they're still probably pretty annoying foes that do big damage bursts.

So is the idea workable or should I just save them for higher level?

>sorry for repost

Alright

Bad ass.

No need to be sorry user, it's more likely to be seen and answered here.

If you get it at that low of a level, sure. It's seems appropriate, even. But they get more spells as they level, and the bonus is only once per day.

Remember that the game is designed around two short rests and one long rest per day. So it's really only a 1/6th boost.

Yeah in 2e, we had a pure magic user team for awhile. Worked fine.

I had my fire elementalist brutally killed by a vampire cleric whose succubus girlfriend conferred fire immunity onto him. Level drain and constitution penalty all at once, brutal. But
hey, at least there was a friendly person to rezz me (lot of alternative parties in the area).

>Paladin all the way up with the masters

Feels way good to have your favorite class so widely recognized as great.

>Remember that the game is designed around two short rests and one long rest per day.

In my experience people take 0-1 short rests per day.

Thank you guys. I didn't realize I could just put it in my browser address bar, I only ever used the app.

TIME TO MAKE SOME FUCKIN FRIENDS
>tfw I'm too scared to chat anyway

Bullshit the DM should railroad the PCs into scenarios where many hour long lunch breaks are feasible but 8 hour long naps are rare.

REALLY new to the game here:

How exactly do material components work? Are they always consumed upon the casting of a spell?

Do I always need new shamrock leaves/druid focus for each cast of Shillelagh for example?

A Kobold Mystic could take Light and Shadow, and negate the sensitivity for 1 point.

A Warlock will have 2 slots until 11.
It'll add 1 to the 6 slots it'll get with 2 short rests, it is good, but isn't insane.

The bonus to spell attack and saving throws is really good, though.

Depends on your DM. A lot of them just throw it out the window.

Unlike other editions, material components are not consumed unless it says otherwise.

Component pouches or arcane focuses take the place of any material component unless a cost is listed.

I am still mad about them making short rests 1 hour instead of 5 minutes.

Nope that's what component pouches/arcane focuses are for

Unless it costs money

1 hour short rests are the default, moderate version. There are DMG variants that make them shorter or longer, it's up to the DM to run it how they want to.

How did your party's fight with the yakfolk in the yakfolk village go?

Interesting. I just found it weird that a druid's starting equipment includes a Focus when a cantrip like Shillelagh requires separate components, the focus being reusable seems to make the materials redundant.

At the same time, needing new shamrock leaves every time you want to cast just a cantrip would be a pain. On a similar note, I've picked up multiple chunks of obsidian to make sure I can cast erupting earth multiple times but that shit weighs my inventory.

Good

All right nignogs

Is it Str, Dex and Int, or STR, DEX and INT?

ALL CAPS

Either or. Arguing whether one is objectively right or not is just being pedantic.

My local post office just informed me my copy of the Yawning Portal has arrived. Isn't the release date April 4? I can't get it until tomorrow because it's night here.

Depends if you're autistic or not.

Both.

Everyone's autistic on Veeky Forums

Components are only consumed when it says they are, and non-costly components are expected to be available within a component pouch at all times, so a focus is no different.

The real purposes of those components are flavor and for when equipment is entirely missing, it limits casters to what they can find, just like martials.

So, what would the half-race feats be like?

Language and maybe a Skill, +1 to a particular stat, and two racial traits?

Like Fey ancestry and darkvision for Half-Elves, or dark vision and relentless endurance for Half-Orcs (interesting how that's not a trait orcs have.)

So for instance a Half-Dwarf/Mul feat might be:

Half-Dwarf
Prerequisite: Human
Yadayadayada, one of your folks had a massive beard. You gain the following benefits:
* Increase your constitution by 1, to a maximum of 20.
* You know Dwarvish
* You have Darkvision to 60ft
* You have the Dwarven Resiliance trait (Advantage on poison saves, resistance against poison damage)

Are there guides like this for classes besides Druid and Wizard?

It's still both.

>Party gets a TPK, far away, obviously losing all their possessions
>Starts new party, I give them a few thousand gold each and a decent starting magic item for their level
>Party proceeds to spend weeks complaining they don't have enough gold to afford anything really expensive
>Complain they haven't found any cool replacement magic items
>They've been in 1.5 dungeons so far

Although initially I thought the shorter version was hella gay, I realized that you're still limited to one long rest per day, so its not so bad.

Actually, I find it disturbingly stupid that the short, short rests are "epic heroism" and the week long rests are "gritty realism," I don't find either to have much to do with heroism or realism. I would more call them quick pace, picnic quest, and leisurely paced campaigns.

Only if you're looking to be offended. Nobody is forcing you to join.

Yakfolk should just be a minotaur subrace.

I can tell you that the cleric guides are pretty all over the place, and that while they can usually identify the worst and best options, they have trouble identifying the useful from the not so useful.

Materials are not consumed unless specified (e.g., you only need a single piece of obsidian for castings of erupting earth, and you don't even need that shard as long as you have your druidic focus). Materials with a gold cost listed must be on your person, however.
So spells that specifically consume a component with a specified cost in gold are the most expensive to cast, and usually the most powerful.

Thank you for the elaboration, I'll bring this up with my DM.

I miss the way healing surges worked.

Some things would break, sadly. Imagine a warlock getting animate dead or cure wounds on that timer.

If you wanted 5 minute breaks, it'd have to be with an entirely different set of resources. Maybe some martial things.

In what way?

They're monstrosities like minotaurs and other abomination races are.

Pretty much

You are meant to be spending resources to heal whenever you can't take an hour, spells/potions in particular. It's why Prayer of Healing is 10 minutes to cast. Short rests are a way to RECOVER resources, too many short rests breaks the game, as does not enough.

6-8 encounters, 2 short rests, 1 long rest.
Fit the duration of each to match the encounter rate expected of your campaign, it makes the game work better.

Nothing wrong with healing to full between fights.

Short rest animate deads are insane, but require significant multiclassing to do it. I don't have a problem with it, caster antags are very common in my games.

5e is designed to be attrition based. Recovering to full after every encounter breaks the encounter math.

Pretty much this. 5 minute effects can be fine, 5 minute casting is not.

What are your favorite spells for a lore bard to borrow from other classes? Convince me lore bard is an excellent choice for an upcoming midlevel campaign.

Has anyone ever actually taken one of the "+1 spell known per day" invocations? Seems like they need a boost to be worthy.

"This fight is a way to drain short rest resources from the party" sounds colossally boring to me, and the warlock is already atrocious even if you assume he will begin each fight with a short rest (his crowning achievement is "hit twice really hard maybe").

Long rest resources? That I can get behind. That gets people's noodle going. The PCs go into virtually any scenario knowing that:
1. They can get it back in an hour if they find somewhere they can be undisturbed
2. They only get one a day

So for me, those are interesting tactical resources. Short rest resources? There's nothing interesting about being stingy with those.

>the encounter math

The encounter math is, as with the encounter math of every other edition, something that deserves to be ignored except for very cautious DMs.

Aura of Vitality, it makes in combat healing an efficient use of resources.
Spirit Guardians, a long duration spell with consistent damage and a control aspect that can keep you, and your back line, alive.
Spiritual Weapon, turn your bonus action into damage, without concentration.
Hunger of Hadar, Darkness+ that doesn't get dispelled by light based spells.
Counterspell, because it's almost always worth using.

Actually, how about "5 min rests, up to 1/hour"?

Sounds pretty good to me, and I kinda like using the var-human+feat as a way to make half-whatevers.

Alright, give me a list of a few race halves to mess with.

All that really does is make fighters even better at the thing they are already the very best at. Oh, and it lets monks spam Stunning Fist even more i guess.

Warlocks are meant to be played more like martials, except they get to cast things like Fly on their party.

I'm completely fine with people ignoring it, but when people ignore the design intent and break encounter math, and then complain that X class is bad, or that Y is too good, it doesn't mean anything.

So by all means, play and run what works for you, but if you find something NOT working, see if that reason might be because you changed things.

Cool, so in other words, no drawbacks whatsoever then. I like it.

>Warlocks are meant to be played more like martials

I get that, but "if you want a really powerful warlock... you can hit really hard, twice!" is still pretty tragic even if its "per fight" and not "per every few fights."

Well hell, if you play 3e as its intended (party with healbot cleric, evoker wizards vs one foe of = CR equal to party at a time) you're probably never going to run into problems either. Nobody plays past editions by the encounter guidelines, so I see no reason to start now.

And the classes I see people kvetch about are 99% of the time, short rest focused classes.

stR, DeX, and iNt.

Get the fuck out of here

>On first glance it seems insane, its a straight 50% power boost to any Warlock since they are limited to 2 spells per rest.
warlocks are a joke class because they're limited to two spells per day, maybe four if you're lucky
If I was running I would let a warlock player start with the rod

>no drawbacks
Fighters are already the kings of combat, giving them full superiority die and action surge every combat is pretty fucked.

Have you considered allowing for partial short rest benefits instead?
Let the Battlemaster get 1-2 die back quickly, the warlock 1 spell, the monk half to 1/4 his Ki.
Save full recovery for an hour long, medium rest, while keeping Arcane Recovery at medium length.

The nova potential of a battlemaster, even just at level 5, is intense if you use all your dice AND action surge at the start of each combat.

>2 spells per day
Even by the guidelines many find too restrictive on short rests, a Warlock should have 6 spells per day.

>If I was running I would let a warlock player start with the rod

I think I'm going to have enemy warlocks with those be pretty common, so that warlock PCs can fill attunement slots with them. Not really the best thing to use your attunement slots for but they won't have alternatives for awhile.

>5th level Paladin
>14d8 worth of smite damage
>5th level 'fixed' Warlock
>36d8 worth of smite damage

Mountain Dwarf Lore Bard
14 (+2) 14 12(+2) 8 10 14

Would this work? I want to be melee Lore Bard.

>the game is expected to function in an extremely awkward and unnatural way that no group would find themselves doing naturally
>if the game doesn't work then it's your fault for changing things
i guess that's technically true