Who is the most powerful in terms of raw power and metaphysical fuckery? Cthulhu and his bros or the chaos gods?

Who is the most powerful in terms of raw power and metaphysical fuckery? Cthulhu and his bros or the chaos gods?

On the cosmic scale, Cthulhu is barely of notice.

Cthulhu got BTFO by a boat, so not him.

Azathoth might be comparable to the chaos gods. He might be greater then them.

If you try to define metaphysics or metaphysical entities using empiricism and material science you are not very smart.

Demonbane

major Lovecraftian gods >>> chaos gods > lesser Lovecraftian gods

Azathoth is existance itself. The chaos gods don't even register on his scale. They're not even close to Nyarlathotep, Shub-Niggurath or Yog-Sothoth.

The Cthulhu mythos, obviously.

Its really easy, lets break it down.

Azathoth creates all of the different worlds and universes by dreaming. Ever dimension real or imagined, every life, every god is just a dream and he is the dreamer. Should he ever awake, everything else would cease to exist like the last words of a dying man with no one to hear them. This is an absolute certainty, so, everyone has to be actively working to avoid it.

The Chaos gods, in comparison, hold as their ultimate goal to destroy the MATERIAL universe and sink it into the warp. Basically just taking one single dimension and changing the rules it plays by so they get to be strong there too. Not only is this goal, in itself, not even a fraction of the devastation of Azathoth's dream ending, the chaos gods haven't event pulled it off yet. In fact, its sort of only on their word that he even have any reason to believe that its something that they CAN do.

And then there is the fact that the Chaos gods are, essentially, bloated parasites begging for scraps. Khorne, Slaneesh, Nurgle and Tzeentch all have to draw power from mortal emotions and other forces. Remove their food supply, and they would shrivel up and die. They can't do anything in our world without human agents to act through and prepare the way.

Cthulhu and Yog-Sothoth and the like barely even notice that humanity exists. The whole point of the Call of Cthulu is that humanity is so insignificant that when Cthulu wakes up his psychic yawning will drive humanity to madness and death not out of malice, but just unfortunately proximity. Like a bunch of animals on a volcanic island, unlucky enough to be around when it erupts and kills them all with ash and fire. The Great Old Ones don't need us, they don't give a shit about us, and the human cults that worship them are just grasping at straws in the hope that their service will be noticed and recognized and they will be rewarded or spared (they won't).

To be fair 'lesser lovecraftian gods' are usually basically just normal monsters that humans started praying to in the hopes of making it leave them alone. The only reason we don't consider the Shoggoth to be a god is because there was more than one of it and if you sacrifice a goat to it the shoggoth will kill you anyway.

not true at all

A categorized bestiary misses the point of Lovecraft so fucking hard it's practically on another planet.

He wasn't supposed to be awake yet - the stars weren't actually right, he was woken up early by the cultists.
Think of like waking up at 2am, and deciding to get up and stumble on into the kitchen and see if there's any cake left in the fridge, and then you stub your toe on something, shout a bit and then say forget it, I'm going back to bed.
That's Cthulhu and the boat. When he wakes fully, nothing mankind can do will stop him from awakening the other old ones and reclaiming the world.

1. The universe is contingent on Azathoth's dream-state and Azathoth is contingent on the universe and thus contingent on his own dream-state. Azathoth is dreaming the universe and he is the universe and thus he is his own dream.

2. Azathoth is mindless and non-rational and passively pursues his "goals" in the same way that a ball "desires" to roll down a hill.

3. Also like a ball rolling down a hill, Azathoth's impetus is to follow the path of least resistance to the point of lowest order and energy. That is, Azathoth's impetus is to cease to exist. Since Azathoth and the universe are contingent on each other, this means the universe will also cease to exist.

4. Azathoth is prevented from realizing this impetus by the outer gods who want to exist. They maintain his dreamstate knowing that if he woke up all realities and unrealities would immediately terminate.

5. Instead, Azathoth attains a vicarious annihilation by imbuing his impetus on all living things. Azathoth is the urge to kill and destroy and consume past our means, but also to reproduce because more growth means more death. Reality is Azathoth's temple and every atom within it worships Azathoth.

Everything that's ever happened is just an emergent property of God's eternal self-mutilation. Gay-ass chaos gods don't even come close.

No, I don't think so. Take a closer look at it. A Shoggoth for instance is just a biological building machine, while Cthulhu is a timeless deity. You even read Lovecraft? At the Mountains of Madness?

daaaaaamn

Except a bigger boat.

The Ruinous Powers doesn't stand alone. One can argue that they are aspect of a single entity. This entity is the same infinte-eternal of Chaos; this divine force is called Chaos Undivided.

This All-Encompassing Might is All-powerful.

Azathoth and the Great Undivided may have the same ability to influence; of course one cannot be certaily sure in questions of the immaterium. Such is glourious surprising and ever-changing joy that is the Primordial Truth.

Cthulhu isn't a deity, he's a priest-sorcerer.

>ruinous powers
>completely unable to ruin anything
>drawing power off of mortal worship and souls
see, you're mistaken about one thing.

WH40K chaos isn't chaos at all. It's entirely mixed and just as stagnant as everythign else in that universe. Cthulhu and his ilk are so much worse than chaos undivided because they can actually exist without anything else. The entirety of the universe could cease to exist, and that would be just fine for them - it's not like THEY'RE tied to a few unimportant dimensions, much less one universe.

IA YOG-SATOTH!.

So,
I'm using Hastur for a comic i'm doing
i've researched the text and i'm familiar with the cult of yellow but there isn't nearly as much about him as i would like and i think he's cool

So what are your opinions on the unspeakable one?
What do you think he should look like without the king in yellow disguise?
What kind of minions other than cultists should he employ?
This is a fantasy setting so any ideas are welcome

Holy shit.

Missing the point user, as always.

"I killed a chos god, ayup! For the Greater good!"

That character is about how you sound right now.

The Outer-Gods see him as such, but not humanity. To a human, he's an incomprehensibly powerful extra-dimensional cosmic monstrosity. On a person's lips, he might as well just be a name because there's no measuring his power (once he rises from R'lyeh, that is)

My opinion is that it has potential

pic related is my fav fan art of the King In Yellow

Sargeras and the burning legion is stronger than all of them

What the fuck?

That's pretty metal but khorne would still whoop his ass

You may praise the outer gods. But what use do you have from them? Do you believe that Iok-Shototh will reward, or even spare you, ( not to speak even notice you) because of your devotion?
Maybe you think yourself that if you can prove useful enough slaves of the Great Old Ones, that you may learn to prolong your live centuries beyond the normal span.
Maybe you even desire to be kept around even after the rest of humanity is destroyed - or at least they may be devoured last.

Maybe you even are a true believer who serves simply because you have found the Outer Gods to be real. YOu may have prayed into the dark, something answered. Do even care about your own or do you serve Iok-Shototh because you
simply feel that this is proper place as a mortal to live or die at the whim of the Gods?

Weak are you ,despicable even.
I follow the path of the Chaos Undivided because it is not mereley a pantheon. It is a philosophy, it is the Eightfold Path, it is the Truth behind the curtain and the sin of knowledge, the revelation and the secret, it is many things but not a religion as we understand it. Chaos is freedom, ambition, power and glory, it is damnation but also reward, it is the moment when you break your chains, when you dispose of your humanity and when you embrace something so unfathomable that dives you insane but also ecstatic with the knowledge that your destiny is in your OWN hands.

When an enlightened one exults For Chaos! across the din of the battlefield he evokes this truth, he utters in words what his eye have seen and what his soul has felt when he opened his mind to the truth for the first time. When marching under the banner of Primordial Truth the warrior of Chaos does not favor a Exalted Power in particular way, neither he favors them all, but he is the herald of the Truth, the Truth of which destiny lies beyond the skein, the Truth that follows death, the Truth that power and ambition are rewarded, the Truth where you as an individual can become a literal god, an immortal, a being of such utter power only if you will it, only if you dare it.

Chaos Undivided is not a religion; it is a philosophy, a philosophy of the self interest, of tangible power and the shattering dread of the ultimate Truth. This philosophy teaches a human that if he is ambitious enough he would be rewarded, it teaches him that if he kills with the name of the True Gods on his lips he would catch their eye and receive their boon, it teaches him that one day he can become a demigod, a mortal no more, and all this if he only wills it and dares it.
The Primordial Truth is also the philosophy of the metaphysical, where reality and dogma shatter, a philosophy that teaches its followers that the laws of physic do not exist, that any laws are artificial, that dogma and ad a closed mind lead your soul to be shattered by the dreaded dream predators. Chaos Undivided is a philosophy that teaches you that you have a soul, teaches you that with your dreams you shape the universe and it teaches you that nothing is impossible, everything can be done if only one dreams it.

That is why a chosen one bears proudly the Star of Chaos even if he pledged his allegiance to only a variant of this philosophy, perhaps to Nurgle's teachings, it is because once you pass over the skein of reality and you see the vast landscapes of infinite possibilities nothing can ever be the same and everything becomes possible, all that is required is a simple dream.

>the king in yellow disguise
It's not a disguise user.

Hastur is not a deity figure. It's not a being. Hastur is a state of mind, a form of thought process. It exists as a memetic virus does - it's not invoking his name three times that summons him, it's that when you speak his name three times, you open your mind to the possibility that sanity is something that can be overcome, bypassed. The names are a childproof lock on a gate to a much larger, wider universe, filled with things inexplicable, unreasonable, unreal yet factual. You can't think of anything involving the King in Yellow as being something you 'face off against'. Even the play itself is onyl a doorway, a gateway drug that allows you to glimpse behind the curtains and see the universe as far more than it is meant to be seen as, and far less than you can ever hope to understand.

the cultists aren't ever cultists for Him. they're artists, dreamers, and people who just....slipped between the cracks, fell into the abysm of understanding the truth, and the truth is that all truth is lies and fiction, and nothing we can do can change that - but we can change what those truths means and how we perceive them!

Read "The Repairer of Reputations", would you? You'll learn much.

it can get blinked out of existance by a creature that wakes up to scratch it's ass and then goes back to sleep.

And not one iota of what you said matters to the Other gods,m the Outer Gods. They will exist and have existed and will begin forevermore. Your petty little godlings are mere thoughts, mometary extrusions of desires and thoughts mere mortal. What do they matter to the universes that exist elsewhere, elsewhen? they do not. and that is why you and your philosophy do not matter. Universal annihilation would destroy them. Those things beyond cannot be dealt with so easily, or even at all.

i like the claws and the skin robes, those are pretty great
his head/face/upper area isn't as menacing as i would like
do you think hastur should have a mouth and if so what kind of mouth?
also eyes might be too humanizing, but i'd like to hear opinions on that too

All you mother fuckers got nothing on gods of light. When was the last time you ever saw light do anything for itself? Darkness only exists in the absence of light. Your petty edge lord gods of destruction and death mean nothing in the face of supreme justice. This is why evil never wins in the end, evil must always cower and hide in the deep recesses of humanity, afraid to show its face until it's certain it can reign unopposed, afraid to face the light, afraid to face justice. Even if the light fades, it's only for a moment, for just as the sun rises each day, light will return and push the darkness back into the abyss from whence it came.

You know he'd try. Like when players see the stats for a really badass mofo or want to try and kick drizzt's ass. Just because he's there and when else are you gonna have the chance to try it?

Just so you know....every time you see the Yellow sign it's upside down.

This is what it was supposed to look like.

Cthulhu isn't even a big deal in his own cosmology.

Cthulu is fucking smalltime, what is this dumb meme?

Is Azathot the greatest paradox of existence in the whole world of fiction?

Not true, Cthulhu is a big deal, it's just that there are far bigger deals out there, and then even bigger ones behind those.

cool thank you

Easy. Time Lords.

>So what are your opinions on the unspeakable one?

I like him more than Cthulhu because he feels grander. That he is not limited on earth but can span entire star empires

>What do you think he should look like without the king in yellow disguise?

Important facets is the Lake Hali, the City of Carcosa and the black Twin Suns in the Hyades. You may try to mix those. For example he is a sentient surface of the Lake or he is all of these. You may know Ruby's Quest, the represantation of an ancient evil was supreme in there.

>What kind of minions other than cultists should he employ?

Sentient art? Creatures based upon books. Orqwith's creatures were good from Morrison's Doom Patrol.

is right

There's other equally cool examples. Have you heard the story of the man who finds out he is god?

>yfw Carmen Sandiego steals the Heart of the Tardis

in the grand scheme of things cthulhu isn't even that bad.

The Well of Souls series was excellent.

>stealing anything from Ten
>stealing his TARDIS
I didn't realize she had a death wish. Or a fate-worse-than-death wish.

What would have happened if a human sat on the throne of azathot? Gain his power implode/explode from madness, become a mindless servant? Besides he is full of contradictions, don't you think?

while i appreciate the spookiness of an ever-present infectious madness that can be unlocked by anyone at any time seeing the scope of reality and the infinite, the madness is only part of what i want to use in the comic
this is also a fantasy setting, where gods and goddesses routinely interact directly with humanity
i would like agents of hastur to serve as a creeping antagonistic threat that doesn't make itself known until it's already too late
i may not use hastur as a corporeal entity, i may never say his name out loud in the comic at all
but i do need to finalize ideas about cultists, summoners, and monsters that are under his influence

>not realizing you just read the cultist rant
You almost had it, user.

Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred from the cold furrow of mortal life. I embrace death without regret as I have embraced life without fear.

I want to impregnate Shub-Niggurath

I too love Jack Chick's atheism tract.

>Have you heard the story of the man who finds out he is god?
Nope. What's it about, and where can I find it? It seems interesting. Thank you kindly for help.

Oh you can't kill her, only imprison her until she gets bored and decides to break out. The only way to defeat her is to gather some children and go on an edutainment adventure, usually all about learning geography. And even the Tenth Doctor isn't going to murder someone in front of a bunch of kids.
If he even could after she used the Heart to rewrite reality so that everyone knows geography forever

sauce?

Japan.

You are correct, but I was looking at a scale more centered around the upper echelons rather than the perspective of insignificant lesser beings.

And reformed in a few seconds while being still mostly dead. Not exactly a great victory against him

There is no throne, only the universe.

Azathoth is not a humanoid figure, but an immense burning star of hatred and destruction.

>"Massage" the right side of the brain
>Right side of the face twitches

Isn't it described as being in the center of some chaos?

"Center" and "Chaos" put together convey more of a feeling of incomprehensible wrongness and simply being beyond everything than any other description that could be applied to it.

for you

Why?

Cthulhu is a nobody in his own cosmology. He's a fucking priest of beings that are greater him as he is to humanity.

>This is the greatest high, JoJo!

DERLETH GET OUT

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I was annoyed at that as well.

If I recall correctly, that concept originated from the various non-lovecraft stories written by other authors after his death.

You know, the hacks that tried to add a Good/Evil story to a setting that was primarily about ignorance/knowledge. The ones that completely missed the point of cosmic horror.

I wonder who wrote these?

The text makes reference to being a Slaneeshy follower.

Not necessarily

From The Call of Cthulhu

>They worshipped, so they said, the Great Old Ones who lived ages before there were any men, and who came to the young world out of the sky. Those Old Ones were gone now, inside the earth and under the sea; but their dead bodies had told their secrets in dreams to the first men, who formed a cult which had never died. This was that cult, and the prisoners said it had always existed and always would exist, hidden in distant wastes and dark places all over the world until the time when the great priest Cthulhu, from his dark house in the mighty city of R’lyeh under the waters, should rise and bring the earth again beneath his sway. Some day he would call, when the stars were ready, and the secret cult would always be waiting to liberate him.

Cthulhu gets alot of publicity, but in reality he's babbie-tier in terms of cosmic power. He's just the guy who wakes the really powerful ones up.

>You know, the hacks that tried to add a Good/Evil story to a setting that was primarily about ignorance/knowledge.

Not really true. You can have a conflict between Good and Evil and still be cosmic horror. Just make the Evil completely unfathomable, and alien, something so vile that none can ever understand it. The Good is constantly being pushed back, and can never find a way to truly win. For how can one fight against something that embodies all of existence, and space time?

The good/evil concept that was introduced was, from what I know, about a bunch of good elder gods defeating a bunch of evil outer gods and sealing them away.

Chaos gods are more fuckable :^)

still yog-sothoth's grandson, that's nothing to fuck with

He did send a bunch of "kids" into battle against lethal scarecrows though.
And we know what happened to the OWNERS of those scarecrows.

>only caring about physical pleasure

Even the low level chaos demons can jack into your brain and give you direct stimulus making you see and feel whatever they want.

Hell a mortal with some good drugs can do it for you.

Have you, personally, seen Slaanesh since?

blame august derleth

Have the Tau ever experienced a full blown Chaos uprising like greater daemons and reality getting fucked in the ass?

that's a safety measure

your post is irresponsible

i know lovecraft wrote letter about all his deities being each other's lovers/offspring, but the man was dying of cancer and fucking delerious. it retroactively ruins his work if you take it seriously. you cannot anthropomorphize the outer gods, because to be an outer god is to be utterly inhuman

Isn't it straight up her hand inside her head pushing the back of the eye and optical nerve with it's movement causing that?

Isn't the original supposed upside down AND backwards to what was printed?

That would mean flipping it on the vertical axis too.

> informing user how to summon an elder god into the internet
Please don't do this. I want to die, but I don't want to go mad first.

>This is an absolute certainty

>Speaking of the Cthulhu mythos

>absolute
>certainty

Humanity won't even live to see the stars being right and Cthulhu waking up for real. According to Shadows out of Time, IIRC, two entire sentient races evolve and go extinct between humanity's extinction and Cthulhu's awakening. That's how insignificant we are. Arguably the most important event to occur on Earth, and we'll miss it by several hundred million years.

I'd consider Shub-Niggurath the motive for for life, since she's usually associated with life, but since all the Outer Gods (and everything else) are part of Azatoth's dream, they can all be reflections of him anyway. Nyarlathotep just has the distinction of being the least removed from him, but the other Outer Gods are very close too.

Can anyone help?

Chaos just corrupts the Cthulu and co.

A true crossover conundrum. Both CoC and 40k are easy to make threads about crossovers with but I don't know what happens when you crossover two easily crossoverable settings. It sounds like a super crossover or "crisscrossover" if you will. Clearly the only way to find out which one will criss and which one will cross is to make yet another thread about it.

You sir, understand. Most others do not. Well played.

Reminder that Cthulhu is one the weakest of the gods and exists only as a herald to the GOOs.

also
>You will never drink the milk of Shub-Niggurath

>Cthulhu is one the weakest of the gods

Hi, Derleth.