A few settings have Humanity getting it's energy needs and/or FTL travel through some horrorscape universe...

A few settings have Humanity getting it's energy needs and/or FTL travel through some horrorscape universe. How do you realistically think humanity would develop and/or view this?

As if you gave governments generators that produced near limitless energy but risked DOOM style demon incursions.

What protocols would their be and normal people view this?

Other urls found in this thread:

nautil.us/blog/chernobyls-hot-mess-the-elephants-foot-is-still-lethal
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>How do you realistically think humanity would develop and/or view this?
Realistically - mankind won't. The socio-cultural horrorscapes we keep coming up with are bad enough.

>use energy to fuel production consumption model
>blame terror incursions on political rivals

pmuch the same as we do now

Not to sound fedoracore, but our present automobile industry is pretty good proof that we'll gladly use a fuel source that completely fucks up our planet even when alternatives are present, just so long as it maximizes profit and you have the clout to silence naysayers.

Your proposed FTL scenario would probably be willingly accepted by entrepreneurs if siphoning hell-fuel was cheap and powerful, though probably not until the upper class had a way to combat any negatives like invading demon spawn. Even then, they'd probably try to first disregard any safety concerns by saying shit like, "Maybe they come in peace," or, "Stop being xenophobic shits and just learn to live nicely with the eldritch horrors."

Doom was genuinely fantastic.

On topic, I think people would feed the poor into a grinder if it solved the energy crisis. As long as it was out of sight.

on top of that, tens of thousands of people die every year in auto accidents. You're way more likely to die in some shitty car accident than you are from getting killed by a wild animal or a terrorist.

Yet there are people who refuse to swim in the ocean for fear of sharks, but will happily get in their cars to drive every day.

Through trial and error and lots of dead people we'd eventually make a system that could counteract the demonic incursions. Either that or we'd all die.

Only Scanners can withstand the Pain of Space.

>As if you gave governments generators that produced near limitless energy but risked DOOM style demon incursions.

Nah, we'll just coat our ships in oysters.

That's a good way to get killed, Stone. As any respectable physicist can tell you, nobody likes a smartass.

The obvious answer is to build robots to guard the demonic reactor, so if anything comes through from the other side the guards have no souls to corrupt.

What am I seeing here?

>we'll gladly use a fuel source that completely fucks up our planet even when alternatives are present, just so long as it maximizes profit and you have the clout to silence naysayers.

I don't think so. Nuclear power couldn't have gone full Fallout, but we had plans for atomic rockets and way more power plants that just didn't happen because radiation is new and scary and hard to understand. That's a much better parallel for horrorscape energy sources than carbon monoxide poisoning.

nautil.us/blog/chernobyls-hot-mess-the-elephants-foot-is-still-lethal

>The so called Elephant’s Foot is a solid mass made of melted nuclear fuel mixed with lots and lots of concrete, sand, and core sealing material that the fuel had melted through.
>It is located in a basement area under the original location of the core. In 1986 the radiation level on the ”Elephant’s Foot” was measured at 10,000 roentgens per hour, and anyone who approached would have received a fatal dose in under a minute.
>After just 30 seconds of exposure, dizziness and fatigue will find you a week later. Two minutes of exposure and the body cells will soon begin to hemorrhage; four minutes: vomiting, diarrhea, and fever. At 300 seconds you have two days to live.

Elephant's foot. The issues with the picture come from the radiation fucking with the film.

The radiation level in that room is so high it started destroying the film in the camera.

I don't understand this reference and I refuse to watch a whole movie for 30 seconds of context.

Not really destroying. Just interfering.

The weird light effect was just the crazy sunovabitch moving about with his torch while the photo was being taken iirc.

>movie

It's from a classic SF short story from way back. Scanners Live in Vain. It starts on page 57 of PDF related.
It's probably the first iteration of the idea that travel through deep space is difficult because Terrible, Mysterious Shit Happens.

Isn't that how Cthulhutech works? A few people go insane developing the means to draw infinite energy from extra-dimensional sources but otherwise revolutionize the energy industry and subsequently draw the attention of aliens.

I'm not reading that.

This is fucking awesome! Thanks for sharing mate!

Then you are a lazy fuck, or can't read English well.

That is exactly how CthulhuTech works. Whole research teams went mad so you can have flying cars. Side effects include the evil soul of God becoming a CEO and semi-fungal creatures from beyond Pluto deciding we need to be put down before we wake up anything else.

Nobody said you had to?

You're welcome! Cordwainer Smith is one of my favorite early SF authors, up there with A. E. Van Vogt and L. Sprage deCamp.