Has anyone played this game? I just found it at a game store while on a trip...

Has anyone played this game? I just found it at a game store while on a trip. I have always been wanting to play in a Colonial America setting with some magic thrown in, I even thought about writing one if I wasn't such a miserable failure.

I thought about picking it up, but I couldn't bring myself to spend 30 bucks on a book I know nothing about and is probably mediocre at best. But if anyone knows it, is it worth reading? Even if just for ideas.

And American-inspired rpg setting thread, I guess.

No, but it looks interesting, what's it about?

If it doesn't have rules for Freemasonic magic then the creators missed a major opportunity.

It's an rpg that takes place in colonial America tight before the revolutionary war. It also has magic and monsters and shit from the folklore of this time.

I think it might, actually. Based on a review I found of the first edition there are two main types of magic: alchemy and the arts. Alchemy is, well alchemy. Arts is more what you would expect from magic. But like I said, I haven't read it. So I don't know for sure. I would assume they would, I flipped through it and it it seems to be written by someone who is really passionate about history and culture, it has all kinds of maps of colonies and tribes and shit.

>It also has magic and monsters and shit from the folklore of this time.
Oh, yeah? Like what

Shit like Chupacabras, Hodags, Wendigos. Mostly native American stuff. I read that a lot of the spells have a little bit of history to them, like invisibility being invented and patentedby Thomas Paine in such-and-such year or some shit. I get the impression that it's kind of a tool kit for how much magic and how much history you want.

But I'm not trying to sell anyone on the game. I just thought it cool and if anyone was familiar with it. At worst it's probably just a heartbreaker, at best it might be a niche treasure trove.

Give me some time, guy, I got something for ya, just gotta clean it up

Oh cool! I'm excited to see what you have. Until then, I'll try and start some discussion. I'm pretty bored.

So if anyone in here is interested in a Colonial America style setting, what kind would you like? Are you more into Warhammer or 7th Sea's fantasy not!Europe, or something like Pirates of the Caribbean that takes place in a historic setting but also fuck you there is magic? I'm partial to a Pirates of the Caribbean pseudo-historic fantasy, myself.

>colonial America setting
>Are you more into Warhammer or 7th Sea's fantasy not!Europe,

Sorry, stupid wording on my part. I meant in that they just kind of take things from history and rename them. Like:

White Death=Black Death
Objectionist=Protestantism
Araby=Arabia

Shit like that. I don't know if there is a term for this trope with so many obvious real life analogs and sometimes just blatant renaming.

So in a Fantasy Not!America it might be:
Colimbia=America
"The Empire"=Great Britain
Francs=French
Williamsville=Pennsylvania

I think this shit is dumb most of the time, but some people seem to find it fun.

I found the best way to go Not!- is to keep it vague, once you go naming, its dumb. Stay away from going to 100% historic analogs, but keep it so that these places might exist. Like, no one knows if there is a town in "the east ridge mountains" called Luthenville or Harrisberg, but they sound real enough, you know?

Like, just refer to the country as "The New Republic" or "Here, in this New World", keep it vague enough!

Good tips! It's my thing, but I can see the fun in it when done well. I'll remember to not make it so obvious if I ever decide to actually write a setting. But I'm kind of a sperg and a history nerd, so that may be hard for me.

Do you know of any settings that you feel do this particularly well? I would think that if you do it well, it can be appreciated both with and without the historic context fairly well. Like, someone with no idea about X culture/history might just think it's cool, but someone who knows about it will be able to go "Oh, this is an X-influenced setting? I wonder if there is a Y equivalent. Oh, there kind of is, neat!"

>Oh cool! I'm excited to see what you have
70+ extra monsters. No stats, though, so don't get your hopes up too much

That's still a lot of lore to work. I tend to use systems that don't require a lot of effort to stat npcs, and it's easy enough to reskin where necessary. I appreciate your help and anything you can get me.

Problem when dealing with American folklore stuff, especially creatures, is the majority of the description goes into their behavior, so it might be hard with a few of them, but still.

>nice trips

I think I prefer that, actually. I find it easier to make up abilities and features, usually based on real life animals or stealing from comics books and other fantasy settings than it is to create behavior. As a GM it's often hard for my to rp something that isn't human like in intelligence and I have a hard time with what kind of tactics the enemies will use.

This is taking me fucking forever, guy. You want an index?

I will happily deal with whatever you want to give me. I already appreciate the effort.

alright, I'll make it quick then

Alright my friend, as thanks for bearing with me, you are now the proud owner of ones of the most extensive lists of American Folklore monsters on the internet! Took me too long to put this shit together, a few months, so I hope you enjoy it. Got 143 in there.

Also, I know more than a general bit about folklore stuff, so if you got questions, you could ask I suppose

Oh man, this is really cool! Thank you so much! I will definitely use this for reference.

What made you start this project? Just a big fan of folklore, or is it for a bigger project?

There wasn't a decent list online, so I figured I'd be the one to make it. 6 months and 200 bucks later, I'm still not satisfied

That's impressive. Your commitment is inspirational.