Have you ever made/HEAVILY modified a game or setting? If yes, what did you make and why? If not, why not?

Have you ever made/HEAVILY modified a game or setting? If yes, what did you make and why? If not, why not?

>Made my own mecha-oriented game from complete scratch because meks r cool, though with a lot of inspirations here and there, mostly chinese cartoons
>Spent 200+ hours on it by now and it's a lot of fun as more mechanics are added as needed and the players have large input on what should be changed or added and it's generally going pretty well despite being the first game I've participated in in any capacity

Sounds pretty fun desu. Have you considered marketing it? The tabletop market is starved for decent mech rpgs, it might hit the jackpot, and thousands would be able to enjoy your creation.

It's pretty amateurish. No classes, no combat outside mechs aside from "I roll to shoot this guy in the face", all art is either vague tokens i make in photoshop or a sprite from some game I make purple in photoshop. Not to mention a lot of it relies on being digital on roll20.

Im currently in the process of creating a Steampunk themed campaign using 5e cuz PCs are autistic. It's working nicely with certain faction fighting over tools and machinery. It's also made the Humans very fucking dangerous as they are the most active firearm users which leads to massacres of armies by the humans.

>My first ever stint as DM for Pathfinder.
>I was running Serpent's Skull, (PCs wake up on a beach and need to survive the wild)
>Pretty soon it turned into a combat slog where they'd go from one end of the island to the next killing things
>Wasn't terrible, but I was getting bored
>Upon discovering a temple beneath a cannibal tribe and killing some ghouls inside, they find a room with a mysterious orb.
>Serpentfolk cleric touches the orb and accidently turns it on (and they say UMD is useless)
>The party is sucked into a space of open air where there is only sky
>They proceed to try and figure out the orb, and go on a plane-hopping adventure to save the world.

I've made a couple of basic wargames. I had one on the battle of Concord, and I'm working on a kind of "floating" multiplayer diplomacy game based around the Byzantine empire and the various barbarians surrounding them. I'm having trouble making it work though.

>just throwing a bunch of PCs into an environment and expecting them to drive the story

your fault Desu

I mean, they had the option to simply wait for a rescue. They just wanted to explore.

HARD CASH

Essentially took Hard Wests system and turned it into a table top RPG set in the modern era 1960 - 2010.

Instead of a hand of cards, players choose a mask that will represent and hide their identity as international Mercenaries for a PMC or starting their own.

Basically playing PayDay on your tabletop or having a whole Dark Heresy style campaign hunting down drug cartels or African warlords.

Outside of combat I think 7th sea is a damn good system to really emulate heroics and setting scenes.

who the fuck waits? you knew for sure they were gonna leave and find other shit to do and kill until they got rescued

I make settings all the time and then never end up using them because I can't be fucked to make my own systems and they typically don't adapt all that easily to existing ones. Worldbuilding is a terribly unproductive hobby and I don't recommend it, as much as I love it.

I did few settings for hobby magazines in late 90s and early 00s. I've took a builder game called "Xiao-Xianbo’s Classic of 39 States" and converted it into a board game (after HEAVY modifications), which will be printed before Easter in small quantity for futher tests among local gaming clubs.
I'm also continously using the same 4 settings for last two decades in tabletop RPG when I'm GMing

I've several fledgling settings I work on every now and then. Half of them are a bit generic but I like to think it's about how it's delivered and not the material, but eh. I try to keep them loose-ish so that I can stick them into a system if I want, but don't have to. Been doing that off and on for a year or two, have barely anything done in any substantial sense.

Are you retarded? Are you completely unable to read the OP?

>Worked out a damned-fine system for a Mordheim-style survival-horror game set mid-apocalypse. Still have all the notes I made. 21 factions planned, finished 11 of them but stalled out on trying to integrate some kind of stealth mechanic, then my life kinda ran off the rails and I had other stuff to do to keep myself alive. I suppose I should get back to it at some point.

I've modified the ever living fuck out of Anima Beyond Fantasy, I've changed more than i can post.

I've kept how you point buy your character and number of points, classes have been left the same, and attack/defense is mostly the same.

but holy fuck i couldn't play vanilla if i tried.

hmm, theyre are taking 7+ hours to archive, have we returned to long lasting posts again???

> Made
> Game
Worked on one for a while, didn't get far because we weren't sure what we wanted out of it.
> Setting
I don't use premade settings or prebuilt worlds. I write as a hobby, so I just mash a bunch of modular chunks of world together from my notes, abandoned projects, or old games.
Or I re-use a setting without telling anyone.

> Heavily modified
> Game
The old Inquisitor system from GW was heavily modified by the time I got done with it. I just tossed most of the niggly rules, realised that NPCs didn't need stat blocks beyond HP and damage, and arbitrated everything off what everyone's rolls ended up as after modifiers.
Then I rewrote the rules a bit to make it work in The Matrix, because I was a teenager and those movies were the best thing ever.

> Setting
Only ones I've built.

Currently, It's a magic crystal industrial revolution, human-only grimdark bullshit. We made a checklist of what we want. The list goes
>gothic
>low magitech
>ki
>special skill awakening
>grimdark
>cheesecake
>cloning
>mutant animals
>waifus
>nightmare realm
>necromancy
>crystals
>alchemy
>katanas
>murder robot

I've yet to introduce katanas, murder robots, cheesecake and necromancy but so far It works. It's like a weird mixup of Fullmetal Alchemist and the first Devil May Cry If that makes any sense

Back in high-school I used to toy around a lot with homebrew games until it became evident I had no idea how to design good mechanics. Now I mostly focus on settings. Recently I've been working on a modified Zelda setting using the 13th Age ruleset.

I came up with an idea for a power-armor centered minis game. Basically the old 40K kill-team plus Necromunda, but without the extensive retardation that is 40K lore or mechanics. The setting is basically 'Rifts if Rifts lore wasn't so cluttered'. Across 15 different dimensions, portals open up. Each of these different dimensions is an alternate Earth where history went differently. All of these portals lead from those Earths to a single blasted wasteland Earth rich in natural resources and exotic minerals, but with no natice life. Each of these alternate Earths immediately attempts to seize as much territory in resource-land as they can. The portals are too small to admit large-scale vehicles, so each alternate earth sends units of power Armor to fight for their claims. So you've got Aztec Iron-Men fighting Diesel-powered-soviet-power-loaders while Japanese bio-tec stealth armors try to outflank Nazi Panzerubermench. Neo-Roman Machinamilitas marching against the Rustning-Soldats of the Bjornson Confederation (viking space marines).

15 different factions of power-armored alt-history warriors. Sound fun?

Gurps