Smelly Roll-call

How badly does the character you're currently playing (or the last character you played if you're not currently playing one) smell?

Remember, if you're playing in a pre-modern setting, chances are the population rarely bathed more than once a month, if that.

>chances are the population rarely bathed more than once a month, if that.
what are ponds and lakes

Cesspools if anywhere near humanity

>MFW the last character I played was an animated suit of armor that maintained herself on a daily basis

Where do you think people threw their garbage guy?

There's a reason the Thames was called The Big Stink.

Not bathing is more of thing a late middle ages/renaissance up to the 18th century. Even then, you would change your clothes regularly and do a lot of laundry.

>Shaving your armpits and legs.

He smells great. currently playing an iron age Gurps game, based around Greek and Roman mythology. So bathing every day is a thing my guy does when he is in the city.

This. Avoiding water was basically a response to the urbanization of Europe in a world without germ theory and sanitary sewers.

Like burnt incense and oils right now, since he's been struggling with a curse and spends most of his time in some holy ritual or another. Magic immediately becomes more interesting the moment your GM starts letting you do little narrative things instead of 'I cast X spell' for certain, if minor passive effects.

Incorrect. Humans have always separated their waste from their drinking and washing water. Gongfarmers collected the waste and spread it on fields. Humans in the middle ages never shat in their water supply. Clothes washing took place at the same time as bathing, or it wou8ld involve dumping a couple of buckets of water over his head.

What about bathing in milk?

that was just cleopatra showing off. Most people used water since it was simpler and better.

You'd smell fucking awful, have you smelt the breath of someone who just drinks one glass of milk?

wasn't cows milk it was donkeys milk. smells sweet according to the ancient sources.

that actually sounds kinda neat from a crunch perspective. How'd you run it?

At the start of the wasn't originally armor, but her soul ended up being trapped in it after she died near an incomplete immortality ritual from a long dead wizard.
stat-wise at first we went with her using blindsight along with some extra features to see, but some of the other players felt that was a bit too op(We had a character who communicated with charcoal and paper so it was either “see everything she says at all times” or “be unable to read it unless she’s close up”) so we nerfed it to normal sight with it getting blurrier the farther the distance. For the most part I still played like a human, however the DM and I decided that she would be unable to be poison and gentrification, along with not needing to sleep or eat, to counter that I was extremely weak to magical attacks, with dispel magic and anti-magic fields causing me to immediately fall unconscious upon a failed save and begin rolling death saves. While I didn’t need to sleep I did need to meditate every so often or else I would fall unconcious(no death saves though). A really cool aspect of it was that I could hide someone inside me as long as they weren’t larger than my character, as well as being able to hide in plain sight as an action and detach my limbs/head at will and control them (mostly played for comedy).

comedy is an important part of the animated suit of armour experience

Oh you have no idea, at one point I rp'd her as having mostly one-sided feelings for our rogue which led to a whole slew of "Rogue-Senpai, get inside me" and, "Rogue, you're too big for me.(⁄ ⁄•⁄ω⁄•⁄ ⁄)" jokes at the table. Our warlock also got into the habit of tossing her arm away if she said something stupid. My absolute biggest regret is not getting an opportunity to do pic related. My favorite moment from the entire campaign was probably being able to make a Bugbear faint by removing my helmet before I swung the door open with my sword drawn and shouting "PICK A GOD AND PRAY!"

>the population rarely bathed more than once a month
Fucking plebs.

My half-orc fastidiously casts Prestidigitation on herself a dozen or so times every morning, which is enough to clean her from head to toe. She hates that itching feeling of dirty hair.

awesome, sounded like fun

>the DM and I decided that she would be unable to be poison and gentrification
The ghost of jobs is real

Oh, fuck me sideways
*poisoned, petrified
I blame myself for just reading off my old sheet and my comp for its shitty dictionary and autocorrect.

>all humans are indians and chinamen