Why don't you play the greatest strategic board game of our time?

Why don't you play the greatest strategic board game of our time?

it takes about 5 play throughs before you can really play the game properly.

Quite the barrier for most.

>meant to emulate MAD and brinksmanship
>you can win by causing a nuclear war

Two players. We're lucky if we hit a minimum of 4. 6+ players is the first thing we look for when picking new games.

>win
You mean "lose with the least casualties".

I've never played it. Looks fun though.

You don't win by causing nuclear war though...

We do and we have yet to play it correctly.

Goddamn "only battleground countries cause defcon."

Yeah, I still don't understand defcon very well either but the game is a hoot to play

I have no one to play with

Technically it would be the first country to rebuild fast enough.

You can win if your opponent causes nuclear war (including if your opponent is forced to play a modal card and you choose the mode that brings the game to DEFCON 1)

It was the right move. An "everyone loses" clause would cheapen the tension of the game. A losing player would feel compelled to trigger it out of spite, and that's not at all how MAD works

I already do

So, hypothetically, how does one get into this game?

Played it once, I felt like it actually conveyed the feeling of the cold war.

And as such I never want to play it again, because who thinks emulating the cold war is any fun.

>manofsteel.jpg

It is one of my all time favorite games. However, although I'm left leaning in real life the goddamn late war events make me want to toss hippies out of helicopters when playing as the US. 10/10 would save the free world again.

Buy it on Steam, my friend

Having played it quite a lot I personally found the game a bit unresponsive. While I admit that the game is supposed to emulate the Cold War, it seems kind of strange that I get historic events that would make absolutely no sense in the game that had played out on the table.
For example I had control over the whole of continental Europe, with USA having a stronghold in the UK. Then with the "Tear down this wall" card, for some reason he gets influence in East Germany, because he held a speech about how the Soviets should not divide Germany.

Its not a spite thing, its like forcing a draw in chess. Otherwise i fully agree.

You win by forcing the other to lose by starting a thermonuclear war, that's not exactly the same thing. Everyone is actively trying not too start the nuke war.

>pleb nu-gamers who play 2-3 times and moves on to the next shiny
What's the world come to

There's a PC version on Steam.

Sweet, thanks

Need to get around to playing it hot seat with a mate

Played some hours on Steam.
Would like to own it physically some day

Highlights of my experience include:
* dying to DEFCON 1 on the summit i played
* Forcing USA to discard 3 cards with (first) Alrich and then terrorism and then watch them die to Lee H. Oswald
* never properly managing to get into Americas as SU
* or USA
* wondering "when did i go wrong" as SA is in full enemy control
* Losing Europe control to SU, then accidentally (through Grain Sales) casting Chernobyl on Europe and having just enough influence to flip italy back
* Losing anyway because of playing Gorbachev wrong, allowing SU one more coup and costing me the game (by 4 points) by losing Africa domination
* Dying to Ortega elected in Nicaragua because coups in Cuba to drop defcon are a thing

>implying I don't
The steam version is pretty alright.

>Forcing USA to discard 3 cards with (first) Alrich and then terrorism and then watch them die to Lee H. Oswald
Damn that's harsh, but
>Lee H. Oswald
You're talking about Lone Gunman right? I suppose it was the USA who played it?

Is the expansion on steam worth it?

find a gril and play twilight struggle in bed

>Not Twilight Snuggle

Because apparently it's too complex for my friends.

Downloading on steam. Should I anticipate enjoying this?

How difficult are the rules? It feels like the kind of game I'd love to play with my dad, but he tends to struggle with games that have too many rules.

Large games he can handle, but if there's too many different rules...