How bad is roll20 or its just memes ?

How bad is roll20 or its just memes ?

Well, its bad if you use the site to find groups.
If you invite people that you already know then its good

>If you invite people that you already know then its good
G-good to know . . . T-thanks.

Never tried find people to play with on it but in my experience using it to play games it actually pretty good and the characters sheets (atleast the pathfinder ones) are getting steadily more polished.

If you have good social skills, you are open to new experiences, and you don't expect to find awesome groups on every corner then it can be very good. Sometimes there are months when you can't find a game that isn't dumb. Sometimes you bump into good games and have fun for a couple months or more until your group falls apart due to IRL shit happening, then you move on.

>If you invite people that you already know then its good.
H-How 'bout Fantasy Grounds?

If you GM, you can cull everything you dislike.
If player... Good luck.

This, as well the the service has generally gotten shittier and shittier over the years with the token library search in shambles (try searching up "orc" and you will get map roof tiles), slow as fuck updates for crucial features like a ruler tool that zooms out the measurement if you're zoomed out.

That and they do more WotC shill posts than actual updates.

>picture of a tag with text
>125x118
>>>/ant/

As a mechanical tool for playing or running games it's alright. It has enough tools available even for free that you can do some cool stuff, and enough conveniences that you can speed things up like nested macros, and using soundcloud for ambient music.

As a place to find good games/players, that's like anything else people oriented. It's very hit or miss and it's a matter of luck and persistence to find the good.

>If you invite people that you already know
I feel like that's over half of all the games in roll20. Just a way to run games online.

Use MapTool if you don't mind the package bloat. More customizable for about the same (or even less) effort, unless you're paying through the nose through Roll20 features and content, in which case you should probably just buy Tabletop Simulator instead.

It worked good for my group of friends.

Its good. I like the interface more than fantasy grounds, but nearly everything about roll20 feels like it's 80% beta test.
I've had player tokens not take to character sheets for no apparent reason. I've had initiative trackers just fuck everything up.
The supposedly cool adaptive lighting feature is a nightmare to lay out.
The RNG dice roller is objectively evil.
The search feature is one of the worst ive seen on a website.

I'd still go to it first before any other tabletop service.
FantasyGrounds is uncomfortable to use.
TableTopSimulator is impossible to use.

It's mainly memes but there are problems with flakey players. I've been in eight long term games and several one shots and short lived campaigns with strangers and so far most of them have been great. The thing that ended a the short campaigns I joined was other players losing interest or them having to stop playing because they got a job or were studying for final exams.

Of course there are cringey players but if you're with even a slightly good DM they will have some way of filtering out the autists and so far I've only been in one campaign that I had to leave but that was because he was a shit DM. While there's always going to be a chance you'll have to deal with bad players or DMs it's the people leaving mid-campaign that you got to worry about.

But the times I've gotten a great group together that didn't fall apart have been great. It's worth a try OP. Remember, you don't have to stay in a group you don't like if you don't want to. If someone is bothering you or you lose interest just leave the campaign and find a new one. People are posting new games all the time.

It's a price tag for "do robots dream of electric sheep."
One of the lines truncates, and the next line is the author's (phillip k. dick) last name.

I don't think you can really blame the service on its users being flakey no-shows

I put over a thousand hours into Roll20 campaigns apparently? Always seemed pretty decent to me, especially if your group lives all over the globe.

>The RNG dice roller is objectively evil.

What?

It was measured to be "random" when they tested it but the RNG is definitely fucky. It skews low and high and some numbers hardly ever come up.

Like ppl say its abit of luck of the draw. That being said i lucked out with my third try and got a really solid bunch of players and a good gm. So i'd say at least give it a shot if you can.

You're just unlucky dude. It's stupid to blame a RNG program, it's not it's like someone with weighted dice.

You should be using MapTool if you're willing to use roll20. MapTool is slightly more setup for basic features but 100% better in every way once it has been set up. In addition you can code in any system you want, and it's totally free.

That being said, MapTool is not for finding players/groups. It's for a group that already exists.

Not him, but roll20's dice roller is as evil as your standard printer, the bigger the bonus, the lowest the roll seems to be. Rolls at -1 hit 16+ regularly, but +5 is usually 6.

We vet pretty hard, but my group is pretty awesome. I'm the only one that knew the DM from elsewhere.

it's serviceable, might just be me but i find the big problem with playing online is with voice, realistically characters would be engaging in chatter between themselves and engaging the world simultaneously which i find hard to do in voice without feeling like you're talking over someone.

How the hell is this possible and has roll20 addressed it?

It's great if you're a dm looking for players.
Not so great if you're a player seeking a game.
I've been running a campaign on it for about a year. A few people have been kicked/left the group but now the group is 4 solid players and me.

And they are actually a pleasure to play with.