Board Game General /bgg/ - "I gotta stop sleeping so it doesn't die again" Edition

Last thread
Pastebin:
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

I'm draggin again today, but at least people got a bit of time to cool off the fighting, let's keep it simple. Who's your favorite designer? What game in your collection has the best art? Any stories from the weekend?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/429029786/impulse-english-2nd-edition-2-expansions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Inb4 the same two autists in every thread start arguing again

What's a good game with a fair bit of direct, negative interaction; none to minimal luck involved and preferably a lowish price that doesn't involve a kilogram of overproduced minis?

inb4 there's none

>Pericles printing now, get charged for it
>$74 after shipping
I think I'm going to cancel it and pick it up off of CSI or MM for $50.

Mancala comes to mind.

Tabletop Simulator is on sale for 50% off on Humble store.

If you're okay with abstracts, you basically just described every good abstract game ever.

I'd especially recommend Tak, as it's basically a modern folk game - you "print and play" it by finding or carving 21 thick squares and one topper made of wood, glass, or plastic, in two colours, and that's it. That's all you need. The best approach on both low price and low effort would really just be buying two different colored bags of generic wooden decorative tiling from a craft store.

I bought the official set and the official travel set, but that's because I'm an addict.

Reiner Knizia's Tigris & Euphrates.
Used to be #1 at boardgamegeek before Puerto Rico came along.

I've never even played catan

You're not missing much, to be perfectly honest.

This, its just very infuriating when the dice fuck you over when you try to plan anything

Other games I have not pictured include

Mage Wars
Machi Koro
Funemployed
Sushi Go
Blood Bowl Manager Card Game + Sudden Death Expansion
Imperial Settlers
Mage Knight Board Game
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan

Brad Talton is my favorite designer. Battlecon is my favorite board game I have tried so far, second place goes to Sekigahara and third place to Discworld Ankh-Morpork. I may also be biased since I went to high school with him and want him to be a success.

Best art, in my opinion, probably goes to Tokaido.

Got to play Burger Up for the first time this weekend. It is simple, but a fun filler and nice art especially well suited to people that aren't really into board games I think.

Forgot the picture.

Your shelving system isn't nearly OCD enough to be posting here; you're right about Tokaido tho, it's gorgeous.

>Any stories from the weekend?

My copy of 'The Arrival' showed up on Saturday and my group and I played it yesterday. I liked it, and I think the group enjoyed it as well. It's a very different 'Martin Wallace' game. We had a good time during our first game. I did get crushed by being overly ambitious in my choice of starting spots (to far North near the Fomori) and ended being constantly hounded by Fomori from the North and an opposing tribe from the South. The really entertaining part of the game was on the final turn when one of the players got overly daring and earned 7 corruption points triggering the alternate end-game conditions. Instead of going purely by who had the most fame (victory) points, it was based on who ended up with the least corruption points.

I'm definitely looking forward to more plays of that one.

Anyone have the standard image of good intro board games for all the different categories?

>Favorite designer
Probably Vlaada Chvátil, he's explored a lot of different game styles pretty successfully.
I enjoy heavier euros, so Vital Lacerda is a shoo in. Excellent game balance and mechanics.
>Best art
Netrunner has a lot of great illustrations, but I guess that's a thing with CCGs, every card is a showcase. Overall... I love the watercolor style of CO2.
>Storytime
Once upon a time, I played nothing on the weekend. The end.

Hey guys!!

I got some money to spare and would like to buy a new boardgame. I'm looking for a euro like Castles of Burgundy, Caverna or Puerto Rico, but I'm not quite settled on either one.

I'll give you my collection so far, maybe that'll help you guys in suggesting something.

-Carcassonne
-Terra Mystica
-Power Grid
-aGoT 2nd Ed
-War of the Ring 2nd Ed
-Axis & Allies
-Twilight Imperium 3 Ed

What do you guys think?

Cheers.

>Gloomhaven and Santorini are now in the top 100
Why do they allow games that have been out under a year to even place. These 2 are so new we can't even begin to judge their staying power. (Of which Santorini at the very least has absolutely none)

You should check Archipelago maybe. I like the natives mechanic.

Disclaimer : I haven't played your similar games.
>like Castles of Burgundy, Caverna or Puerto Rico

Technically speaking Santorini has been around since 2004 at least, but I would like to see a change in their policies for ranking. The weighting to balance against few reviewed games is a bit wonky, as is the fact people add "balance" ratings of 10s and 1s on unreleased games is ridiculous. Whitleypedia had a good video on comparing Dice Tower peoples top 100, to most voted on games at BGG, that seems to be a better metric overall, but honestly I feel like you should always be using the advanced search if you want to see how games really rate.

What are the best board game news sites? I just want a site so that I can follow up on news about expansions, and interesting kickstarters. I couldn't care less about review or whatever, just a site that reports on various board games.

Carcasonne is dull.
Terra mystics is dull.
Power Grid is interesting for a euro, but a little mathy and long.
aGoT is okay but worse than Rex.
War of the Ring pretty gud.
Axis and Allies is dull.
Twilight Imperium is fantastic but long.

My group is not a big fan of euro games so I don't get to play them very much even though I personally really enjoy them, so my advice may be sub par. While those three you have listed are all highly regarded and popular euros I have not actually played any of them, so I offer two other games that I would recommend to a euro fan.

Leonardo Da Vinci is a really solid worker placement euro with aggressive set collection as you compete against the others to get the resources needed to build inventions (victory points) that are all public knowledge and whoever can build it first gets it. Also has a mechanic where everyone has one master inventor piece along with apprentice inventor pieces. If you place your master piece on a resource with only opposing apprentices on it you skip to the front of the line to get the resource.

Also, even though Caverna is on your list, I recommend Agricola. It really feels like it's "the" medium weight euro. It is punishing and really requires strategy when playing with other people that are on the same level as you. All the cards make for great replayability and variety. The only downsides in my opinion are that it is a fiddly game and that you kind of always being forced into the same general plan for the beginning and end game. The path between those points when taking into account the card abilities and how you play to get there really makes the game worth it though.

I have heard Caverna is quite similar, while still being its own unique game, to Agricola. So I guess if it is on your list I would recommend it.

You forgot your tripcode STEEV

>Twilight Imperium is fantastic but long
>STEEV
>TI3
>long

Also
>reviewing a person's collection

>favourite designer
overall I'll say Brad Talton, though Nate Hayden, Jim Felli and Brett Murrell have made individual games that are more appealing

>best art
I care more about style than execution, and with that regard the Cave Evil series straight up wins

>weekend
I've had a friend stay at my place since Wednesday night as his brother kicked him out with little notice, I've done far more board gaming than any weekend for the past year! playing Cave Evil: Warcults, Titan, Shadows of Malice and Merchants & Marauders in the same weekend makes me a happy user, though I kinda wish that I didn't accidentally find his Titan too early and annihilated the legion his Titan was in. trying to score my last glory point in M&M by hunting him down in a Frigate vs a Galleon and getting wrecked by dice rolls was a hilarious way to end that session

BGG already heavily weights against new games. What has happened over the last few years is much better self-selecting and an influx of casuals who use the 7-10 rating scale so all newer games have higher ratings.

That said, Gloomhaven has the highest average un-corrected rating for a game and has just under 2500 ratings. Its only been out for

>who use the 7-10 rating scale
I think this is just characteristic of new gamers period, I found a lot of my ratings were too kind, and going back after a year I realized what bad games were truly bad. 100% agree that people are getting better at picking what they like and rating it very high, but hey, that's what put TS in the top spot for a long time, so I don't see a huge problem with it.

>What game in your collection has the best art?
Without a doubt that has to be Tsuro for me. Holy fuck this game is sexy

>Any stories from the weekend?
I got to get my copy of the Attack on Titan deck building game to the table with a friend of mine. It was hectic at times and overwhelming but really enjoying. Probably the most exciting part was we were down to just one wall remaining with six titans on the board and me playing as Connie was able to wipe out four of them at once. Felt great famalam

Have the new version, I redid it earlier this month

That's just bullshit. BGG is ruled by the cult of the new.

I like both Castles of Burgundy and Puerto Rico, but I'd agree that if you want a meaty Euro - check out Archipelago. But I'd also suggest taking a look at 'Stone Age' if you haven't already done so. It's a fun but engaging light / medium weight Euro game.

They just need to increase the number of dummy ratings that weight a game around 5.5-6.5 if it's a cult of the new problem. It's that the site is starting to get more casual gamer users as they re-design.

Thank you!

There's also a couple of Veeky Forums bgg 'general recommendations' images too. Pic related.

And this one...

Yup, those two were what I copied when I set out to do the gf/wife one last year. Kids one is still a work in progress, as I test stuff out on my buddy's 4 yr old daughter.

Has anyone played Raptor?

Would you get Raptor or Patchwork for someone new to board games but is very competitive?

Any other suggestions for competitive 2 player games that are light but deep?

If they'd never played any other modern games, I'd get Patchwork (assuming of course the theme won't turn them off). Raptor is great, but it's got a tiny bit more going on, and I've found some new gamers don't do as well with the asymmetric stuff, ymmv. As for other recs, either of the 2p/casual charts posted above have lots; off the new one my favorites are Odin's Ravens, Memoir '44, The Duke, and Survive (if your friend is really competition driven this one is just downright cruel, you start killing the other player's meeples on turn 1). The wife loves Jaipur, Pagoda, Tokaido, and Terror in Meeple City (though I think that's just for playing with dino/kaijus). If your friend was ever a fan of Stratego growing up, look into BattleLine, Thunder & Lightning, or LotR: The Confrontation, that's what I pull out for my brother.

The entire Kosmos 2p line is real solid (with a few exceptions)
Targi is a fantastic worker placement/resource management.
Kahuna is a super simple but very strategic card driven area control, lots of fun.
Haven't played Lost Cities, but it's practically Keltis for 2, and is well regarded.
Odin's Ravens is a card management racing game.

>Kosmos 2p line is real solid
This is true, but avoid Balloon Cup (out of print anyways so it's overpriced) and get Pinata, which is a proper re-working by the designer

ive been out of the board game news for a while, what are the big, upcoming games people are looking forward to this year?

None.

First thread with no kickstarter bs
I'm proud of you guys

>What's a good game with a fair bit of direct, negative interaction; none to minimal luck involved and preferably a lowish price that doesn't involve a kilogram of overproduced minis?
Chess.

>That said, Gloomhaven has the highest average un-corrected rating for a game and has just under 2500 ratings.
So what? That just means that there are 2500 autists out there for whom it is a perfect fit. Remember that there are 150000 other BGG users that didn't vote for Gloomhaven but would have given it a 5 if they did.

>Would you get Raptor or Patchwork for someone new to board games but is very competitive?
Patchwork. It's already a classic while Raptor is a flash in the pan with mismatched mechanics.

>Who's your favorite designer?
Probably Ignacy Trzewiczek. Although I think while he has good ideas he sucks at balancing and sucks at making those ideas work for the long term.
> What game in your collection has the best art?
A toss up between Ghost Stories (the monsters are gorgeous) and Imperial Settlers (while simple the art is cute)
> Any stories from the weekend?
Played Lords of Xidit and Exploding Kittens

Lords of Xidit didn't go well for me - can't get the hang of the game and what to do when.

Was surprised at Exploding Kittens - I don't understand the hate it's a very good light weight game. Beats Munchkin or Love Letter by a long margin in my book.

The hate it gets is because it's a meme game made for casuals that broke all previous kickstarter funding milestones, and we hate kickstarter and everything normalfags love because we're fucking hardcore and they are fucking plebs. Just look at us, we're all about the right kind of fun and we're not afraid to tell 'em how much they suck.

Honestly, I'm surprised that Kingdom Death: Monster wasn't included anywhere on these. (even in some kind of cheeky joke category)

Fucking degenerate.

I think we hate it because its a bad game actually

>Tfw no dedicated seasons partner

Don't worry user; I'll fix that!

kickstarter.com/projects/429029786/impulse-english-2nd-edition-2-expansions

Focking disgusting.

Never played patchwork. HIghly recommend Raptor it's probably my favourite game and the easiest to get to the table by an astronomical country mile.

It really gets competitive and quickly becomes a game of playing your opponent more than the game.

Downside it is extremely asymmetric. For the 20 games or so I really couldn't get the raptors to win at all. Now I understand them I never lose with Raptors but it's always so heated and tight opponents want another game.

What is the point of games like this? At some point you're e better off just playing a videogame.

It doesn't seem that videogamey to me. If anything, it looks like a variation on RftG with bolted-on Carcassone mechanics.

RtfG is overrated as fuck. Also, almost 0 player interaction, bunch of autismos wanking in their corners.

>All Your Base
Jesus.

>RtfG is overrated as fuck.
No, it's one of the best games ever made.

>Also, almost 0 player interaction, bunch of autismos wanking in their corners.
'Zero player interaction' is just code for "I'm too retarded to figure out basic strategy".

Tom Lehmann (the designer of RftG) made a good point. Player interaction is when you have two things:

a) Knowing when you're losing.
b) Having the tools to catch up and win.

The games with lowest amount of player interaction are the shitty amerilard dice-chucker plastic pushers.

(Of course for you 'player interaction' means sublimating your school bullying experiences in makebelieve violence, so you can just ignore this post and go wank to your waifu instead.)

I love RtfG, but I wouldn't say it has much player interaction. Not zero, but certainly not far off it.

Why the fuck do i need another players, then, sjw-cuck? I want to mess they strategy, stop their enginebuilding or at least cripple it. But no, we should sit in our safecpace like true numales and, ater 30 min of samey "strategic" choises proclaim aour """victory""". Why not play some videogame garbage instead?

>Tom Lehmann (the designer of RftG) made a good point. Player interaction is when you have two things:
a) Knowing when you're losing.
b) Having the tools to catch up and win.
Dumbest shit i ever heard.

Fuck off back to /pol/ or learn to speak without drowning your post in irrelevant buzzwords.

>I want to mess they strategy, stop their enginebuilding or at least cripple it.
Yes, that's exactly what happens when you choose 'consume'. Read the rules again, the other guy is forced to consume in this case and lose his victory points.

>I love RtfG, but I wouldn't say it has much player interaction. Not zero, but certainly not far off it.
You're retarded and shouldn't post here anymore.

Right, I forgot that player """"interaction"""" is rolling a d8 and reading a special effects card about heads assploding. So much action, so interaction testosterone, wow!

Just stop hiding behind words like "basic strategy", because your safespace-"game" lack any hard decisions. Bat there are plenty of samey vp-enging, gee, so depth, much strategy, very interaction, that will show em bullies.

Man, this numale is amazing. All euro"players" are that defensive?

RftG, like the title says, is a racing game. It's a game where both players act in parallel according to a common clock tick, and where winning means skipping beats or forcing your opponent to stall. The meat of the game is in choosing the right phase card at the right time. There's very little engine building in the game.

Projection is a hell of a crippling disorder.

This board isn't a space for you to work through your school bullying trauma via roleplaying. Speak to your therapist about that instead.

I'm not even the guy you're arguing with and I don't give a flying fuck about RtfG, I'm just tired of you /pol/shits injecting your cretinism into every board. You're talking about fucking player interaction, not cuckolding and social justice. Stop spouting your retarded buzzwords at everything you disagree with.

Same buzzwords all over, just like a typical ""strategic"" euro"""game""" turn. Ready to proclaim yourself winner already, safespace dweller? This tumbler posts aint gonna post themselfs.

Hurt ur fellings, autismo? Go play some coop"game".

A swing and a miss, I'm a hardcore traditionalist reactionary in the Moldbug sense, except that I believe libertarianism is modernist degeneracy and the world needs to go back to theocratic monarchy. Stop projecting.

>world needs to go back to theocratic monarchy
Ok, that was kinda funny.

I'm serious.

Also go neck yourself, the world doesn't need more retards.

alex randolph for artist

Best story is getting a friend of a friend who never liked board games hooked by introducing him to a couple fun simple ones, played splendor, tsuro of the path, and ticket to ride.

He looked like a puppy he was so happy.

Bette go fuck yourself. Because of morons like you, boardgames are such shit now. Dont forget to back some kicksterter trash, by the way.

So CMON has posted a video of them playing through Rising Sun. I still don't know how this game is played since they aren't explaining anything

I don't own anything with a miniature, never kickstarted anything and don't buy games newer than 3 years old on principle. Stop projecting.

>newer than 3 years old

What, why?

Well you're right, it's happening again.

Enough time for idiots to latch on to their next "greatest game evar" and for publishers to analyze their sales and reprint the (few) games that actually have value.

> Inb4 the same two autists in every thread start arguing again
There's at least four, maybe even five.

This seems pretty neat. I might build myself a set so I have something to play while half my group sets up whatever silly haunted zombie house game they fall for next.

I just watched a tutorial video of tak, looks like it's something I'd really enjoy. Gonna have to make my own board sometime soon

>RftG, like the title says, is a racing game. It's a game where both players act in parallel according to a common clock tick, and where winning means skipping beats or forcing your opponent to stall. The meat of the game is in choosing the right phase card at the right time. There's very little engine building in the game.

Are you talking Roll for the Galaxy or Race for the Galaxy?

Race. Roll is a generic engine builder with some slightly interesting worker placement mechanics. The unique lockstep-but-syncopated racing mechanic isn't there in Roll. (Probably the main reason why normies like Roll better despite the fact that Roll is more complex and fiddly. The parallel nature of Race is too strange when people are used to taking sequential turns.)

Nothing you said actually changes your enjoyment of the game though.

>Nothing you said actually changes your enjoyment of the game though.
I don't enjoy buying games for the sake of collecting them, and the chance that some random flavor-of-the-year game ends up not wasting my time is slim.

I never said you had to collect, you still sound like an idiot by putting this arbitrary 3 year waiting period. Like I understand not following hype to the register but what you're saying is absurd.

>I've done my research and demo'ed this board game but it's too new for me to own, people on the internet might think I follow trends.

I'm not an autist so of course the "3 years" is not an absolute rule.

Still the point stands: less than 50 plays is not really enough to figure out if a game is broken. Three years is about the right time for people to actually playtest the thing thoroughly and write some negative reviews.

I wish we could purge everyone in this thread.

>theocratic monarchy
>serious
B8 hrdr m8

the race for the galaxy guy is back....
i still like roll moreso than race

> everyone who isn't on board with my pants-on-head-retarded political philosophy must be trolling
Nothing good ever came from secularism.

>i still like roll moreso than race
Of course you do, Roll a much more generic normie game.

>I wish we could purge everyone in this thread.
Including yourself, I hope?

another quick n easy bait....

w e w
e
w

> "it's 2017, come on, I don't even, ugh"
Great argument, bro.