Surprise! The ring you just put on is cursed

>Surprise! The ring you just put on is cursed.
>>I cut off my finger
Why would this work or not work?

Other urls found in this thread:

dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Necklace_of_Strangulation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the wizard is a crafty fucker, who makes the ring cast a harmfull spell or curse if it still contacts flesh on the inside without being actually attached to something with a soul,

What's the curse?

It would, but only if you can bring yourself to do it.

It already cursed you when you put it on. Now you're cursed AND missing a finger.

Cursed items are just stupid. Like, look at this shit.
dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Necklace_of_Strangulation
>I put on the necklace that comes up with all magical detection as not dangerous.
>Surprise! Take 6 damage every round until its removed.
>Dispel magic doesn't work
>Blink doesn't work
>Remove curse doesn't work
>Greater Dispel magic fails
>Disjunction fails
>Grease + escape artist fails
>Sunder attempts fail
>Sorry, you're dead. You should have cast wish.

Being attached to the item magical makes it laugh at you cutting your finger off.

This user is right, cursed items in 3.5 were fucking bullshit. And that's not mentioning "creative" DMs with their retarded homebrew curses.

What a stupid fucking notion.

A vague and permanent sense of existential dread in addition to the creeping suspicion that you're not living life as you should.

Sounds like business as usual.

Because you put the ring on your dick.

>Surprise! The ring you just put on is malevolent.
>>What? Um, I take it off.
>That won't really help.
Would this be a dick move?

It also gives you the slight sensation of needing to piss, regardless of how many times you've already been. Not a lot, not enough to bother you during the day, but just enough to make it difficult to go to sleep.

This was also one of the stupidest things in Nethack, which was already a pretty stupid game.

And no, before you give me shit, I've beaten Nethack. I ain't no bitch.

Anyway, most cursed items in D&D resist being discarded. It might make the thought of cutting off your finger unacceptable, or appear on another finger when you wake up the next day.

If a player picks up a magic item, they know is magic and don't even attempt to identify it for more than 3 sessions, I automatically make it cursed. They have not yet caught on.

Sounds like business as usual.

Well, you see, it's paired with another ring, and, um.

Ever heard of the Stepford Wives?

>Why would this work or not work?
magic

Either

>Okay, now one of your fingers is cut off.

or

>You try to cut it off, but the curse puts you in massive pain and you are forced to stop.

Yeah. Kinda is. No skill checks, no ways to avoid it, just BAM. Your character is crippled.
Like how a set of Armor of Arrow Attraction gives you a whopping -15 AC against ranged attacks.

I'd say it'd depend on the intent.

Some curses might not be worth losing a finger over, and can be easily rectified. Others might make the act entirely impossible, or else rob your ability to do so (I recall a ring from a game that would set your Intelligence and Wisdom to 3, good luck forming coherent thoughts with that)

Furthermore, the situation may depend. A ring that slows your movement may not be a big deal, give the cleric 8 hours to queue up a fresh instance of remove curse, but when a fucking Wyvern is bearing down on you, whilst you were too distracted looting the corpses to notice, more drastic actions may be called for.

Beyond that, there are some pretty good examples cited here, such as the ring may be soulbound in some way, and just end up on a new finger, or even embedded in your flesh eventually.

>"I cut of my finger!"
>Roll will save and/or wisdom check
>*fails*
>Y-YOU JUST CAN'T DO IT, MAN! YOU JUST CAN'T!

Anyone who can instantly chop off a part of their character's body without a second thought is a bad roleplayer, so treat them as a rollplayer instead. If basic human instinct isn't reflected in your character, it'll be reflected in your stats instead. I'm sick of dealing with edgy self-destructive "It's what my character would do!" spergs in my games.

No. The GM has dictated that you will be cursed so no method possible, besides one he carefully lays out, will end the curse. Not even death because he'll fudge your saves and keep you alive until his plot succeeds.

I'm not sure this ring is magic at all.

Make a will save to not bitch out. Your companions can restrain you and forcibly cut off the finger, if you manage to convince them.

Next morning the ring will appear on a different finger. If you run out of fingers, toe. If you run out of toes, your cock

Complete bullshit. Animals will chew off their own fucking legs to get out of traps, and they don't even know what's waiting if they don't. Humans aren't any better. I'd sure as fuck cut off my finger to avoid some horrible curse.

if you run out of cock?
or already dont have one?

Must be magic if he can't take it off.

Animals also lack the complicated intelligence of a human. Most animals can't plan long term like a human can, and just react to instant OH FUCK moments.

No, you wouldn't, you pussy.

You cut off the finger but the ring floats in place where it was

This.

Same reason you wouldn't instantly behead a pickpocket on the street or kill an orc baby without being an edgelord CE.

I'm starting to get Head of Vecna vibes from this thread.

It becomes embedded in your skin

Well presumably if it can fit around each finger and my cock without falling off, it can change size, so arms, legs, maybe after a while it becomes a piercing

Alternatively, you successfully cut your finger off. The ring holds it together and keeps the curse in effect. Now you've got all the fun of suffering from a severed finger PLUS your finger is constantly rubbing up against the stump!

Eventually it becomes a collar around your neck.

can it do that first?

That's hot. Just launch it out and latch it around my neck when I open a chest.

Chewing your leg off is not an instant OH FUCK. It's the only choice when the other option is starving the death. Also where the fuck do you get intelligence as being limiting factor in cutting my finger off. If the fucking curse is worse than the loss of a finger (which losing a finger isn't a massive deal anyways), I sure as fuck am gonna cut my finger off, that's the intelligent decisions.

Steve Jobs, a multimillionaire with higher IQ than you, didn't get a lifesaving but painful cancer treatment.

>cut off ring finger
>cursed ring is suddenly on a different finger

It always confused me in a setting where magical restoration exists, why people don't just cut off a finger. You might as well try, the cleric can just fix it via his god

>YOU CAN'T DO IT
>"Quick, other guy in my party, cut off my finger!"

It would work. At least in my games. But they would need to make some sort of save to cause themselves that kind of bodily harm.

>Steve Jobs
>High IQ
Pick one

He didn't bother wearing a condom, and was
Pick one

It always confused me in a setting where ressurection exists (and at lower level than Regeneration), why people just don't kill themselves as a solution to most problems. Cursed item? Kill yourself, have someone take it off, find a cleric. Debt? Kill yourself, find cleric in a nearby city.

>cut the finger
>the ring stays on it
>a copy of you grows back from the finger
>if you hurt it, it hurts you the same

Ring of Fuck You

Congratulations on your world-spanning business empire built entirely by your own hands and intellect, user.

Punch yourself as hard as you can in the balls.
Even if you know its to help yourself, it fucking hard because it goes against all natural instincts

Resurrection is expensive though
And with higher level PCs, I've seen this solution

It makes your finger fall off

I would just have somebody else punch me in the balls. I would screw up my eyes and look away and tell them not to give me any warning.

Did they turn CE as a result? Pretty sure grievous self-harm and mutilation is one of the things only evil people do in D&D, user.

Did we ever establish that?

I think we are arguing the same point. I may have misread the green text

What you just said is the correct thing

That's still not magic, just fear of paying alimony from a divorce court system that needs reform.

>Enchanted Cockring of Returning

that's the curse

the curse is you can't take it off. That's it.

>Would this be a dick move?
No, they should have had a hireling test it.
Come join us in /osrg/

They didn't kill themselves. They murdered a village girl who had been cursed.

And yeah, I'd agree its a pretty evil action.
Cleric took some major flak for it from her god.

I don't really do alignment though. I find its ridiculous to boil down actions to a grid. The cleric only took heat because they didn't try a whole lot of other things. It was a quick dispel magic then straight to murder. She agreed with them and didn't try to defend the terrified girl

I honestly don't see the problem with alignments. I always just treated them as a rule of thumb for how your character sees and reacts to things, not a rigid guideline.

I hope the next step was the party rogue going "Hey. Lissen kid, life on the streets isn't so bad. Your mom just got you killed, you might wanna go out there and seek greener pastures"

I don't know what kind of characters you play but most adventurers are exactly the kind of people who can cut off their own finger.

Most adventurers are good, well adjusted people who are out there to help their family or village. You're thinking of filthy murderhobos.

You clearly have no clue who steve jobs is.

I did that to one of my PCs before.

You obviously have no clue about how stupid you are if you think having kids is dumb.

Maybe part of the magic just makes it hop to another finger the moment you're not paying attention. So you cut off the finger, you look away to grab the disinfectant and gauze, and then bam. You notice it's on the other hand now, somehow. If you cut off all your fingers it goes away for good, but now you're cursed with being fingerless. If you somehow get the fingers regrown afterwards, the ring reappears.

I was referring to the factually incorrect statement about steve jobs, "world-spanning business empire built entirely by your own hands and intellect".

No, I'm thinking of people who can do what needs to be done. If your character doesn't have the strength of will to remove their own finger if they need to, then I find it hard to believe they're cut out for adventuring.

Having kids is dumb though. Kids are the worst, then they grow up into people, who are also the worst.

Having kids is dumb. The world is over-flowing, just adopt the fuckers.

>Letting your genes die out

I guess it was meant to be fail-user.

Let your superiors keep making more babies without considering the consequences. Intelligence was a mistake i guess.

The "Curse" is actually a malevolent spirit that jumped into you body the moment you put on the ring.

Dispel magic won't do shit, you need an exorcism or lots of spaghetti sauce

You cut off your finger, but the ring will not be removed from your finger, and thus is still affecting you.

What if the curse made you irresistible to the opposite sex? Think about it they would always want to have sex with you, you wouldn't be able to get any work done. Jealous lovers fighting around you causing a scene. Same sex people salty af at your pile of free sexbuddies.

Different user, but considering how much depression runs in my family I'd rather not curse the next generation with my genes.

Let's never mind that the successful, educated people aren't having nearly as many children as those of... simpler ambitions.

Cursed equipment is shitty in any system unless that system has a radical class dedicated to wearing cursed equipment, at which point it becomes great.

I swear there was a game that did that I just can't remember what game.

Nah just murder the dude and rez. We are all sociopaths since we became adventurers, right? Now break out that morningstar!

>cut off your finger
>ring is suddenly on another one of your fingers

It's a ring of "seeming like it's on a different finger than it's actually on".

You resurrected the malevolent spirit, but the original soul stays in the afterlife.

>tfw Bill Gates shitposts in Veeky Forums

Yeah, I care more about the world surviving than my animal instinct to make more of me

Pretty much

No, no. The ring remains on the severed finger. It still can't be removed.

Just rinse and repeat!

The malevolent soul fragments and becomes malevolent-er.

>Ring of Fuck You
and that's exactly what I'd do with that ring.

It's a fucking free Simulacrum, sounds like a hell of a """""""curse""""""". I make my Simulacrums cut off each other's fingers while I writhe in the pain for a few hours until I have an unbeatable army of Me.

After the inevitable orgy, we go to rule the world.

>Waah I don't want to have any disadvantages or consequences for putting on random magical shit that I steal from ancient ruins waah

Would you honestly be surprised?

Tales of Maj'Eyal has a class that autocurses its own equipment and benefits from stacking same curses.

Until your "free" simulacrum runs away and starts murdering people because its a product of a curse and is therefore obviously evil.

Enjoy that army of rapists and murders you unleashed on the countryside, all of whom are wearing your face. Good luck not getting mobbed and lynched.

Why the fuck you would tell the players the ring is cursed when they put it on?
Shouldn't they try to figure it out from what actually starts happening to them?

>Enjoy that army of rapists and murders you unleashed on the countryside, all of whom are wearing your face. Good luck not getting mobbed and lynched.
>somehow implying I wasn't already doing that
I embrace the infamy and carnage me and my dark army has left in its wake.

You know now that I think about it, I don't!

There is charm in the way games like Dragon Quest handle cursed equipment, where a cursed item is typically obviously evil, such as the Skull Helmet, strong but with a tradeoff such as the weapons that have high damage but abyssmal accuracy, or fill interesting niches such as armor that gives you a lot of HP but no defense.

Cursed in items in most systems are just garbage though; you either detect that it's cursed with magic and discard it, or you don't have any way to tell it's cursed and the spooky magic ring cuts your finger off while the DM cackles in delight at this inane inconvenience he's put you through.

that's pretty hot.

>tfw DM never magical realms me, intentional or no.

>as you put on the ring it suddenly clamps down on your finger. While it looked to be a rather loose fit, it is now squeezing your finger slightly too tightly. It's cold pressure threatens to inhibit the blood flow, but isn't quite so tight as to do so.

Ah, the Shylock Curse.

Good cursed items are powerful equipments with drawbacks

Bad cursed items are rings that make your genitals fall off and lower your armor score